• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Hey @ Goxplex Goxplex , how do you make the shadows for the .png versions of your CSPs? I'm trying to make some myself and trying to match the shadow's color/transparency, but I can't seem to get it right. What settings do you use?

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Hey @ Goxplex Goxplex , how do you make the shadows for the .png versions of your CSPs? I'm trying to make some myself and trying to match the shadow's color/transparency, but I can't seem to get it right. What settings do you use?
Try using the drop shadow effect with 75% opacity in Photoshop. Or copy the shadow of my PNGs and use that "color" in yours.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
IIRC, the position of the shadow is exactly 10px to the left and 10px down from the character image. (If you're trying to be as close as possible to mimicking the original CSPs.)

Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Try using the drop shadow effect with 75% opacity in Photoshop. Or copy the shadow of my PNGs and use that "color" in yours.
This worked perfectly, thank you! If anyone else is trying to do this with GIMP instead of PS (like I am), I found that using 40% opacity with a black shadow looks just about right.

Doq

Smash Lord
Sort of unrelated, but it is related: What are all the known offsets for CSS colors? I know we can change background elements, the hand, and the player cards, but what are the actual offsets for these (and those I didn't mention)?

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I think I've finally got the basics of CSP creation down. These are just for fun and they're obviously following (see: copying) Goxplex's great example, but I wanted to make these so that I could figure out how to do it, and so that I could make them match all of the textures in my Hack Pack. I still don't know how to make them into .tpl files, so for now they're just for loading via Dolphin's "Load Custom Textures" feature. Let me know what you think!

Shadow Dragon Marth
Grey Hair Marth
Robin
Purple Marth
Ky Kiske
CATS Marth
Roy
Hylian Soldier
EMP Marth
Darkness Marth
Bonus Weegee

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Alright, I think I've finally got the basics of CSP creation down. These are just for fun and they're obviously following (see: copying) Goxplex's great example, but I wanted to make these so that I could figure out how to do it, and so that I could make them match all of the textures in my Hack Pack. I still don't know how to make them into .tpl files, so for now they're just for loading via Dolphin's "Load Custom Textures" feature. Let me know what you think!

Shadow Dragon Marth
Grey Hair Marth
Robin
Purple Marth
Ky Kiske
CATS Marth
Roy
Hylian Soldier
EMP Marth
Darkness Marth
Bonus Weegee
These look incredible. Once you get a hang of things, hacking becomes addicting. Apparently DRGN's new program update can convert these to TPLs easily. He wrote up a guide earlier today.http://smashboards.com/threads/new-tools-for-texture-hacking.373777/#post-17968397

Sort of unrelated, but it is related: What are all the known offsets for CSS colors? I know we can change background elements, the hand, and the player cards, but what are the actual offsets for these (and those I didn't mention)?
http://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/page-6#post-16993303

The post below this has some stage select color stuff as well.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
^ Yeah, what he said.

Although, if you're doing CSPs, I highly recommend creating your png image with the palette built-in. And because pngs with palettes don't support a global alpha channel, this means you'll have to create the image with "replacement" colors like you've probably seen before. Like this one:

This is one Goxplex made. It's got 256 colors in its palette, including the magenta and lime green replacement colors.

You COULD give my script a regular png with transparency and no palette, and it will work. But if you go the above route instead you'll have a better quality image (basically because the bigger fancier programs do a better job at figuring out what colors to use and how to "mix" (dither) them). You could always try both methods and compare.

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
I made some more things! I'm going to try to format this post so it isn't crazy long...
These are still just .pngs so you'll have to load them through Dolphin if you want to use them, but I'm planning to look at DRGN's script and learn about this whole .tpl thing soon. Anyway, enjoy!

1st row: Defaults
2nd row: Pink/White Falco, SS Falku, Shiny Wargle, Zombie (w/ scar) Falco
3rd row: Dark Falco, Brasil Falco, Cockatoo, Pidgey

2nd row: Pokemon Trainer Ness, Lucas, Ninten-Ness, Masked Man

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
I made some more things! I'm going to try to format this post so it isn't crazy long...
These are still just .pngs so you'll have to load them through Dolphin if you want to use them, but I'm planning to look at DRGN's script and learn about this whole .tpl thing soon. Anyway, enjoy!

2nd row: Pink/White Falco, SS Falku, Shiny Wargle, Zombie (w/ scar) Falco
3rd row: Dark Falco, Brasil Falco, Cockatoo, Pidgey

2nd row: Pokemon Trainer Ness, Lucas, Ninten-Ness, Masked Man
These are great :D now some of my portraits are filled up yayyy

DRGN

Technowizard
If you haven't already started on Zelda/Sheik, I could do them, since I started them already a little while back. :) I was also thinking I would see if I can figure out something good for Samus, since she's one of my mains.

I plan to do more once I finish some of my other projects.

Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
If you haven't already started on Zelda/Sheik, I could do them, since I started them already a little while back. :) I was also thinking I would see if I can figure out something good for Samus, since she's one of my mains.

I plan to do more once I finish some of my other projects.
Go for it! I haven't done much other than trying to find some cool poses for Zelda/Sheik

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Oh crap, you guys are going full CSP creation mode! Loving this stuff!

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Anyone know where the purple color comes from for the "Z - Retry" image? It's a black and white texture with color coming from elsewhere.
Pause.PNG

EDIT: And I've figured out how to enable this texture in regular vs matches (but not the Z functionality). So all I need to do is change it to a red B Button and a "+" symbol.

Last edited:

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
matrix that starts @ 2060 in GmPause.usd. Uses RGBY format, replace the 4 "61 8F"s. Because of the way it works you could make a gradient, indexes correspond to right to left on the image

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
matrix that starts @ 2060 in GmPause.usd. Uses RGBY format, replace the 4 "61 8F"s. Because of the way it works you could make a gradient, indexes correspond to right to left on the image
Lance...I miss your work, man! Thanks so much for checking in, I appreciate the help. I've been meaning to sticky your amazing colors guide for awhile now. Thanks for reminding me!

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Lance...I miss your work, man! Thanks so much for checking in, I appreciate the help. I've been meaning to sticky your amazing colors guide for awhile now. Thanks for reminding me!
Thanks man! You are killin it with all the stuff you are doing. Can't believe some of the things you can do now. If you ever need help with little stuff like this just let me know. I've been tinkering around with some stuff, so I'll probably be around here more often.

How did you learn that?
I knew that texture was in GmPause, so I just went through the file really quick.

Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Made some more CSPs! My next step is to make .tpls out of them, so that'll be coming soon. Let me know if you have any comments/criticism, because I plan on doing this for the whole cast and I want to make sure they're all looking good. I was thinking I might start stretching them vertically a bit since they seem to get squished when I put them into the game, but that may be something about Dolphin or my display, and I've never tried them on a console.

2nd row: Zombie, Professor Oak, Sunshine, The Ridler, Formal Doc
3rd row: Brawl Doc, Fire Doc, Akutsuki Doc, Retro Doc, Cool Doc
4th row: Red Crimson Doc

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
We should organize completed Melee CSPs into a folder/download link and sticky it to page 1.

Can anyone make this happen?
We could do this. But I think ultimately, CSPs should be packaged with the costumes. And however we decide to do it, we should figure out a standardized way first. Reason being, we can plan ahead toward using the archive that we build now so that it could potentially later easily integrate into a program for easy costume swapping. Think of a character package that includes the PI****.dat file, the CSP, and maybe another picture for reference while browsing. Now imagine a program that shows you the character select screen. When you click on a character, it shows you all of the costumes for that character that you have in your ISO (pictures and titles). For each color slot, it also gives you a drop-down box so you can choose from among the character costumes that you've downloaded, to swap in for the one you've selected (automatically putting the tpl into MnSlChr.usd, and then that and the dat into the ISO).

Now, I'm not promising I'm going to write such a thing, it's just an idea for now that someone could do (but who knows, I might later). But it would certainly be much quicker (and very easy) to just start building an archive in a standardized way now rather than have to change it later.

So if this were a thing, what exactly would one costume package consist of? Maybe:

1 .dat
1 .tpl (for the CSP)
1 or more .pngs (used for browsing so you can see what it looks like before adding it to your ISO)

Last edited:

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Made some more CSPs! My next step is to make .tpls out of them, so that'll be coming soon. Let me know if you have any comments/criticism, because I plan on doing this for the whole cast and I want to make sure they're all looking good. I was thinking I might start stretching them vertically a bit since they seem to get squished when I put them into the game, but that may be something about Dolphin or my display, and I've never tried them on a console.

Dude these are sick! I converted your Falco CSPs to TPLS (just the original costumes), let me know if you want me to post them or help you with the other CSPs. I think we could create a CSP thread with links to the main post of this thread, or collaborate with Veggies to add every CSP to it's propper texture hack.

Achilles1515

Smash Master

This doc pose is 10/10.

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man! You are killin it with all the stuff you are doing. Can't believe some of the things you can do now. If you ever need help with little stuff like this just let me know. I've been tinkering around with some stuff, so I'll probably be around here more often.

I knew that texture was in GmPause, so I just went through the file really quick.
How do you pull textures from the file??

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Dude these are sick! I converted your Falco CSPs to TPLS (just the original costumes), let me know if you want me to post them or help you with the other CSPs. I think we could create a CSP thread with links to the main post of this thread, or collaborate with Veggies to add every CSP to it's propper texture hack.
Yeah basically I'm way too lazy to add these in, and I don't do much CSP work anymore. If you could make a new thread with the CSP image that would be cool. It would probably be more convenient to package it with the texture, something I will never do because I'm lazy

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I will definitely let you know if I have any questions about the .tpls. Actually it would be great if you could post those Falco .tpls, so I can compare when I try to figure out how to make them myself. And I agree a new thread may be in order so we don't clog this one up too badly. It would be really nice in the end to have all the CSPs with their respective costumes in the OP of this thread though (with a separate section for default CSPs), and @ Veggies Veggies if you don't want to do it, maybe others could write up the relevant sections and then you could copy and paste them into the original post?

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! I will definitely let you know if I have any questions about the .tpls. Actually it would be great if you could post those Falco .tpls, so I can compare when I try to figure out how to make them myself. And I agree a new thread may be in order so we don't clog this one up too badly. It would be really nice in the end to have all the CSPs with their respective costumes in the OP of this thread though (with a separate section for default CSPs), and @ Veggies Veggies if you don't want to do it, maybe others could write up the relevant sections and then you could copy and paste them into the original post?
Yeah I would be willing to do that.

FrederickCrescent

Smash Rookie
Last edited by a moderator:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
'ello!

Jester Young Link - Patches Young Link's white costume, based off the blue jester from gauntlet dark legacy. Also comes equipped with Troll Shield.
Made by FrederickCrescent
Download: http://www.filedropper.com/plclwh

Raven Knight Young Link - Patches Young Link's Green/Normal costume.
Made by FrederickCrescent
Download: http://www.filedropper.com/plclnr
Sword effect: http://www.filedropper.com/plcl

Awesome CSPs!!!
Great stuff! The Gauntlet Legends Jester brings back fantastic memories. I also really like that blue hair.
I fixed your links.

Siro

Smash Cadet

Flare Falco (Replaces Red)
Made By: Siro
Download: https://mega.nz/#!1spGHJDa!QFCP-I-z9PtySXl4lR8q6mLulOTiIzcQQT8rFlCZsIM

Mario Redux (Replaces Neutral)
Download: https://mega.nz/#!V0YjnTBS!2_4HqxxkyJ0ZK18aBZrks_Zqhy_tG-52nh3_kl_w6Ok

Ocarina of Time Link Redux (Replaces Neutral)
Download: https://mega.nz/#!5twEiLRS!5qAmxNxkKrl5GufPHLQTze4X8wRwQzkCpgHY2cJvN_A

Red Link Redux (Replaces Red)
Download: https://mega.nz/#!goZ22IoY!69tZU76bQ2ePzhIzFx4wezDwhk69KNH8TboZkxHujAk

Blue Link Redux (Replaces Blue)
Download: https://mega.nz/#!5tA1BDZb!pM7IyWh9Ov3IVuFKecuEwluZDaQqF5fA2VgApcPVviU

White Link Redux (Replaces White)
Download: https://mega.nz/#!c0ITFD4B!yjINqXiVMP4XA3cE0E5JszXTh9s84binR7qZO5RSP9Q

Black Link Redux (Replaces Black)
Download: https://mega.nz/#!thhEVaRQ!60IJ6SI0NgnwjVFBFAShR_hKpxUB1JHkaCLu-Cs3NdU

Ky Kiske Marth (Replaces White)
Made By: fatman667
Download: https://mega.nz/#!55JThSCT!MqqBH7G-YV9VSKCQSQDXEEGzlElc3JjkRVykPOhBiFc

Last edited:

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
How do you manage to match exact poses for CSP creation? I can never get the CSP positions to match perfectly. I used the 20xx control 4 players with magenta backgrounds for CSP screenshots in Dolphin, using camera memory addresses, but that only works for 4-costume characters and even then the size/position of each screenshot is off for me.

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942

Flare Falco (Replaces Red)
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!Q1YG3aaJ!DuGcg_hVOAid4ozUh32uDbc27MHpTmPVsVBW6U5NBpY

Ocarina of Time Link Redux (Replaces Neutral)
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!5tBFwSxb!v2OE-xLxY6E8YPdWAtgs6-eecSwPEHiw_QcyQ4n0Wrw

Red Link Redux (Replaces Red)
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!s9py3YhA!IWw0IwNKQvQ8SkNxCH90cejmGkUq31dyzpl2wDi1Ycc

Blue Link Redux (Replaces Blue)
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!whZgSb6R!z97s2FAL-K5X4vPN6u4aXXQCl9JhuwP53d51rhrsnoo

White Link Redux (Replaces White)
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!AhhVSagC!Wsui4ytsFBNHlRoDAIVyAF-jmh8z0SaGdLWk49XCn0Q

Black Link Redux (Replaces Black)
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!89Zj2QiA!VUJiFLCazUavglDxLaTkvirsMWJtC_HwkJWwe4QoRY8
Those look great (will you be doing marth redux?)

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
How do you manage to match exact poses for CSP creation? I can never get the CSP positions to match perfectly.
My CSPs have all been from the victory poses at the end of games. With the hack pack you can load them really easily by starting a stock match with only one player (using d-pad up to force it to load), which will end as soon it starts and go to the victory pose as long as you don't have "skip results screen" enabled. This method's also nice because you don't have the "clapping opponent" box there potentially getting in the way of your pose. And I think lots of people forget this, but each character has 3 victory poses, and you can choose which pose you get by holding B, X, or Y as the game ends. So, you can really easily go through each costume and get the same screenshot by loading the same pose and taking a screenshot when they freeze at the end of the pose, just before the results pop up. I've also been using Dolphin's "frame advance" so I can get screenshots from the same frame of the victory pose each time, so I can consistently get identical screenshots from any time during any of the victory sequences. Just assign Frame Advance a hotkey and click through the sequence counting as you go, then stop on the frame before the one you want, have Dolphin take a screenshot, and advance by one more frame. That's how I got Doc's coat on his right leg to look the same in each shot, since it doesn't stop moving until after the results pop up and get in the way.

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
Ahhh so you used the results screen, I never thought of that! Thanks for the info. I actually figured out my own way for making CSPs before I saw your message and made these. I have TPLs of them as well, I dumped these PNGs from Dolphin after inserting the TPLs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom