• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
Hey guys I'm a dummy. How do you use textures that you don't download as a .dat?

I really want to put the old Yoshi's Story texture back on my USB, but I don't know how.

Also how do I make Captain Falcon stop saying "yes" everytime he uses knee, and turn off the purple color you turn when you get hit with Marth's spike.

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Two new thingamajigs. :3

Name: Duna Replaces Randall
Made By: SS | Myougi
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rd4y447fawaoznr/GrSt (Duna Edition v3).dat

Didn't see this on the thread so went ahead and did it myself...

Name: Legal Peach's Castle (Without Windows)
Made By: SS | Myougi, Jorgasms
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rnhn1i527zrooq3/GrCs.dat
Woah, does this mean someone active actually knows how to do stage hacking???

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
Those are just texture hacks (no offense). However you're still correct, because. zankyou had been doing some awesome stuff in the Hacks and You thread.
the peaches castle one seems to have removed the middle wall, though. thats pretty awesome. assuming bullets bills are turned off too, it just became a legal stage

DRGN

Technowizard
Removal of the center is an existing hack. However it had a slight problem in that there were some windows that were attached to it were still shown. You can see it here.

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
My first 2 Melee texture hacks (Falco was first :p)

Name: Tre Kronor (Three Crowns), replaces blue
Made by: TimpZ
Download: Can't link with less than 10 posts but PM me or check my twitter @timpz91

Name: Scania Falco (replaces red)
Made by: TimpZ
Download: Can't link with less than 10 posts but PM me or check my twitter @timpz91

Feedback very welcome!

Last edited:

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
(Trying to reach that 10 post goal) Here's a map of some of the textures for Falco that I made so that I knew what went where. Maybe someone finds it useful.

Last edited:

Myougi

Good idea with the maps, TimpZ.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a hack around here somewhere for that.
You can use a start.dol mod to remove the hazards. (Check the DOL mod thread's main post, then find the offsets and replacements for your version of Melee the inject them with HxD / GCR. )

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I know this isnt technically a texture hack but I thought you guys would appreciate.

It still needs work so I was hoping some of you would play on it a bit. Blast zones, camera, and spawn points still need to be corrected but tell me about anything else you notice.
http://a.pomf.se/nygukr.dat

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
I know this isnt technically a texture hack but I thought you guys would appreciate.

It still needs work so I was hoping some of you would play on it a bit. Blast zones, camera, and spawn points still need to be corrected but tell me about anything else you notice.
http://a.pomf.se/nygukr.dat
Please, dude. When you've got enough experience, make a noob friendly tutorial.
Beast work btw! <3

zankyou

Smash Lord
Please, dude. When you've got enough experience, make a noob friendly tutorial.
Beast work btw! <3
That was always the goal. Im terrible at this kind of stuff and really just wanted to remind people that it can be done.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
more of these please you're a god
The alternative option is to use Modelers-resources Melee .objs or Tcll's converter and preview the model in 3DS MAX (or another 3D editing software) and show/print out the uvw maps.

This way you can test it in realtime as well as just use the uvw map as textures to understand the topology of the model.

If it is requested, I could do a coloured uvw-map texture for people who aren't familiar with 3D modelling after I'm done with my current project.

Myougi

lots of words
Is there any chance you cloud look into the reflection on Fountain of Dreams and see if you can disable it? Many have tried and many have failed. :C
I think the reflection's offset in GrIz.dat is at 0002a340, if that helps at all. If you could take a shot at it that would be amazing.

Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone here have the Yin Yang Ice Climbers hack? I saw this picture in the color effects hacking thread:

and it looks awesome. I googled it and found a few references to it on Smashboards, but couldn't find a download link anywhere.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Is there any chance you cloud look into the reflection on Fountain of Dreams and see if you can disable it? Many have tried and many have failed. :C
I think the reflection's offset in GrIz.dat is at 0002a340, if that helps at all. If you could take a shot at it that would be amazing.
So uh... I not quite sure if its disabled. Might still be running invisibly.

Myougi

So uh... I not quite sure if its disabled. Might still be running invisibly.
WOAH. That's a huge step up. Is there any way you can replace whatever you de-textured or something with a solid texture? Could you explain more on how you did this? This is awesome!

Myougi

Test this out and let me know if you get better performance. If you do Ill figure out which one exactly it is or tell you how to find it at least.
http://a.pomf.se/hjzqyf.dat
Will do ASAP.

EDIT:
Approximate:
Unmodded: (No items)
Random 4 characters: 50 fps average
4 Ice Climbers: 42 fps

Modded: (No items)
Random 4 characters: 52 fps average
4 Ice Climbers: 45 fps

Verdict: The reflection is still running in the background, or something else is causing the stage to lag. :(
It is wroth noting that my setup can run every other stage with 4 players at 60fps for the most part.

Also, pausing with both versions of Fountain still seem to lag the game for some reason. Both FPSes are a little under their average.

Last edited:

Myougi

Internet Explorer recently finished a Gecko Code that disables FoD's reflection layer!

http://smashboards.com/threads/melee-gecko-codes-guide-and-discussion.327311/page-26#post-18188717

Note that I haven't yet tested this on a Gamecube, but there's no reason it should lag at this point. I've removed background assets, the pool reflection, and all of the stars (each star was its own point in 3D space).
Code:
Lagless FoD [Dan Salvato]
041cbbd4 60000000
041cbefc 48000028
041cbf54 60000000
041cbf84 60000000

Last edited:

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
He probably wouldn't have had to remove the stars, though. Really small textures with a really small verticy count.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Made some changes to the Super Mario RPG Light texture hack. If you guys are interested I'll upload the dat but you have to rebuild your iso to use it.

I left whispy's face because I didnt feel like I should deactivate the wind.

Here it is. Like I said youre going to have rebuild you iso.
http://a.pomf.se/tqyyrl.dat

Edit: Just tried the stage out with dios mios and the background isnt loading right. Anyone else getting similar results and/or have tried this with nintendon't. It works on dolphin.

Last edited:

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Made some changes to the Super Mario RPG Light texture hack. If you guys are interested I'll upload the dat but you have to rebuild your iso to use it.

Omg, yes! I've never really like the fugly looks on Dreamland n64!

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Here it is. Like I said youre going to have rebuild you iso.
http://a.pomf.se/tqyyrl.dat

Edit: Just tried the stage out with dios mios and the background isnt loading right. Anyone else getting similar results and/or have tried this with nintendon't. It works on dolphin.
Is the background a higher quality image that you added or something? Why do we need to rebuild the ISO? This is awesome btw!

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
upload_2014-12-14_15-7-3.png

I've noticed a couple of different times that on the victory screen, Fox's eyes revert to the normal green texture. It only happens sometimes lol, and they're always blue in game.

Top Bottom