• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Luigi Video and Critique Thread

TreK

Is "that guy"
CP frigate against a DK ? That wasn't your best decision man haha
You know, it turns after a minute and then doesn't turn for like 4 minutes, so you spent 65% of your match on the transformation where DK does the best

yoshq

Smash Master
CP frigate against a DK ? That wasn't your best decision man haha
You know, it turns after a minute and then doesn't turn for like 4 minutes, so you spent 65% of your match on the transformation where DK does the best
I don't feel like he had too much of an advantage there. I just made a lot of mistakes.

yoshq

Smash Master
Be more defensive. Run away. Roll away. Spot dodge. Use Nado more. Use fireballs sometimes just to **** with him, but sparingly. And if you can mindgame him into bucketing them when he's within upb range, great. The lag on putting away the bucket is huge. Don't try to out prioritize any of his moves except bair hits him out of dair if you do it just right, or his bair you can smash DI through and nair him. If he's upbing, smashing, or dairing, be careful. And none of our moves hit him out of his nair. If his dair hits your shield, dsmash or jab or nado. You can barely spot dodge it, not really worth trying. Vary your ledge options up a bit more.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Be more defensive. Run away. Roll away. Spot dodge. Use Nado more. Use fireballs sometimes just to **** with him, but sparingly. And if you can mindgame him into bucketing them when he's within upb range, great. The lag on putting away the bucket is huge. Don't try to out prioritize any of his moves except bair hits him out of dair if you do it just right, or his bair you can smash DI through and nair him. If he's upbing, smashing, or dairing, be careful. And none of our moves hit him out of his nair. If his dair hits your shield, dsmash or jab or nado. You can barely spot dodge it, not really worth trying. Vary your ledge options up a bit more.
ok thanks. Funny thing is he knows the mu since he played with Hippie a lot.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2383...ebook.com&utm_source=275523&utm_medium=social I played my friend that I play almost every single day, in loser bracket (out of the 3 tournaments I have entered this has happened twice lol). Thanks in advance for the critique please :)
Game 1
You did pretty good. I noticed you didn't really throw too many fireballs. Fireball helps in preventing marths from approaching with fair.
- I noticed your friend or most marth's tend to up b after jab to avoid a luigi up b. Play around with that because you can actually Power shield the up b and punish it with your up b.

One thing about tilted fsmash is that it has IASA frames which allows you input another move even faster. I noticed that you did a fsmash tilted, but missed what is best to do especially in your case where you were close to marth is.
1. shield since it will come out fast
2. flick the c stick or input fsmash to make it come out faster. It pretty useful in baiting since most people don't know that Luigi can do that

- Near the end you power shield marth's fsmash. Right there you won the match you could have fsmashed or maybe done up b.

Game 2
Powershield could have been useful on a couple of marth's fairs in this
you should use Cyclone to punish marth's landings after he attacks.

I see that your friend counter side b off the stage. For this either side b low to possible beat marth to the ledge or recovery high with cyclone and side b onto the stage and try to land.

I didn't know if you guys critique doubles, but it was the only matches I got saved since only one t.v had a set-up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAMwVzRUeBs&feature=plcp
eh I guess I will since I'm one of the few luigis who is BRAVE enough to use luigi in doubles jk lol.

Beginning of the game after max pk fired mk that was your time to combo mk. Like litterally spam C stick lol.
- one thing is always be ready to shield when you're near your opponent. just like in the video you go F aired by your partner you could have shielded to avoid damage and by shielding you actually lag his hitboxes which isn't to bad.

when diddy kong was grabbed by his teammate you two should have charged your fsmashes. Up b was a good idea, but it never works well on grabs imo.

2:25 not sure why you didn't hit diddy. : s

2:57 since it is doubles you don't want to go for risky kills especially against mk.

hmm well just to point out since you two were ness and Luigi. when diddy died you should have healed ness with your fireballs on his down b.

overall you two did good.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
eh I guess I will since I'm one of the few luigis who is BRAVE enough to use luigi in doubles jk lol.

Beginning of the game after max pk fired mk that was your time to combo mk. Like litterally spam C stick lol.
- one thing is always be ready to shield when you're near your opponent. just like in the video you go F aired by your partner you could have shielded to avoid damage and by shielding you actually lag his hitboxes which isn't to bad.

when diddy kong was grabbed by his teammate you two should have charged your fsmashes. Up b was a good idea, but it never works well on grabs imo.

2:25 not sure why you didn't hit diddy. : s

2:57 since it is doubles you don't want to go for risky kills especially against mk.

hmm well just to point out since you two were ness and Luigi. when diddy died you should have healed ness with your fireballs on his down b.

overall you two did good.
Thanks. I totally spaced out at 2:25, not sure why I didn't hit him either. I wasn't really playing too defensively until Kira talked to me about it.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
:57 Accidental side B?
4:12 Maybe should have went D-tilt->Fsmash

Nice job, but it seemed after you lost your first stock, you seemed to get a little impatient and tried to make things happen. With Battlefield to help with Wolf's projectiles, you could have probably waited for Wolf to approach you and ps, UpB. I think the major thing that lost you the match was you were too aggressive, just play more defensively against Wolf.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
:57 Accidental side B?
4:12 Maybe should have went D-tilt->Fsmash

Nice job, but it seemed after you lost your first stock, you seemed to get a little impatient and tried to make things happen. With Battlefield to help with Wolf's projectiles, you could have probably waited for Wolf to approach you and ps, UpB. I think the major thing that lost you the match was you were too aggressive, just play more defensively against Wolf.
Thanks. yeah I have to learn how to PS a little more. I find that pressing both L and R helps. As for the accidental side b lol I always get those because my control sticks are never good, but eh.

BSP

Smash Legend
Does anyone want to take over this? I've lost interest for the most part...call it a smash depression.

Anyone can take it.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Does anyone want to take over this? I've lost interest for the most part...call it a smash depression.

Anyone can take it.
BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'll take it.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axsXsh5iMcg

Fox.

What do I do? Besides shielding upsmash before it hits me. I'm thinking cyclone his laser landings.
Yea, you need to cyclone laser landings and landings in general. If you can get Fox in the air you can pressure his landings, especially if they go for a falling dair since you can shield and upb them after iirc.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I'm going to mm this wario if he comes to apex.

Yea, you need to cyclone laser landings and landings in general. If you can get Fox in the air you can pressure his landings, especially if they go for a falling dair since you can shield and upb them after iirc.
Thanks. i'll see what else I can in this mu.

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wwqFPHL0QE

Snake and in general what can I do better?

Apex 2012 rematch lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce0gqYBed2I

what can I do better?

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Imma try and help ya out Sama. Space yourself on the ground a bit moar with shielddashing, dont cyclone into Snake when he is holding a grenade, seriously never do that. When spaced correctly on the ground try to get some chip damage with fairs, dairs and crap like that and follow up accordingly depending on how Snake reacts to it. Also fireballzzz are your best friend and use them allot to negate the nades and stop them in their tracks so they cant hit u or just try and avoid the nades all together by simply just jumping over them. Hope this helps a bit bro.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Imma try and help ya out Sama. Space yourself on the ground a bit moar with shielddashing, dont cyclone into Snake when he is holding a grenade, seriously never do that. When spaced correctly on the ground try to get some chip damage with fairs, dairs and crap like that and follow up accordingly depending on how Snake reacts to it. Also fireballzzz are your best friend and use them allot to negate the nades and stop them in their tracks so they cant hit u or just try and avoid the nades all together by simply just jumping over them. Hope this helps a bit bro.
ah ok then thanks.

Zync

Smash Journeyman
Hi Luigi boards :) Here is a recent video of a friend who plays luigi, he is relatively new to competitive gameplay but he is putting a lot of effort to make it through, he wanted me to critique this video but I have no idea how to play the falco/luigi MU, so can someone here do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn2PC6fWtrk&feature=player_embedded

If you can add specific stuff around the MU we'd appreciate it :)

Luigisama

Smash Champion
(I'M NOT BUMPING THIS THREAD!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9vw03kU424&feature=g-like

Me vs. Sama (wifi friendlies) I think you guys will see my weegee by the end of the video...Y'all can critique that part if ya want to.
I'll see what advice I can give you. I know I can say right now based on the video. The luigi crawl techs are nice to use, but if they bother you or you just can't use them. Don't use them I mostly use them since it helps me in certain situations.
Hi Luigi boards :) Here is a recent video of a friend who plays luigi, he is relatively new to competitive gameplay but he is putting a lot of effort to make it through, he wanted me to critique this video but I have no idea how to play the falco/luigi MU, so can someone here do?

I thought someone would critique this, but I guess not.

Luigisama

Smash Champion

This is a critique for cloud's luigi

You were doing a great job on pressuring falco in the beginning. You kept him guessing on what move he would do and you made good use of grabbing falco since falco likes to hide in his shield to get his chain grab.

One thing to note is that since Falco is heavy he falls fast so you won't be able to jab him to up b or dsmash, but you can jab to grab since Falco sometimes shields after he is jabbed.

-avoid getting grabbed by falco. It is never safe to attack his shield in my opinion so just keep a safe distance and attack when you see an opening. When you get grabbed by falco expect 30% or 50% so avoid getting grabbed at all cost. Remember his laser's won't kill you.

Several times when you tried to get back on stage you kept jumping and every time you got punished for it. It is best to go for the ledge and save your jump. You can also recovery high with cyclone.
like at 1:54 you should have just airdodge to jump and grabbed the ledge.
2:26 hold the side b and aim for under the ledge to grab the ledge using Side B

When falco is at the ledge. He is usually waiting to do Fsmash so watch out for it.
You could have simply roll from the ledge onto the stage.

0:46 good option on punishing. Whenever you get a powershield like that it is best to do fire punch.
-SDI his jabs. You can either SDI into him and punish with nair or bair. You can also just SDI away from falco and jump away.

2:31 and 2:33 you could have fire punched him.
2:34 you should have grabbed him.

3:45 I'm not sure if you can rise with cyclone judging from this part. I know mashing is hard, but learn to master it because it is best to recover by saving your jump and using cyclone first when you're far from the edge like that.

I hope this helps. The mu is tricky, but if you abuse Falco's shield habits and grab him during his shielding and force him in a corner the mu is a lot easier.

Top Bottom