• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
How is Rainbow Cruise a great Link level? I figured all that jumping would screw us. Anyone know?

I recommended Bridge of Eldin for a great Link level but I guess they didn't take it. No edges to be gimped from, perfect for projectile ****, harder to star KO as your only realistic means of getting knocked out if you're smart about your placing on the stage and when the level splits in two you can pick an opposite side and fire arrows for 20 seconds or so.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
somebody who could tell me what this NEW rule set is, what happened with smash backrooms official recommended rules?
Here's Umbreon's: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205140
Here's the OFFICIAL one: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187735

I recommended Bridge of Eldin for a great Link level but I guess they didn't take it. No edges to be gimped from, perfect for projectile ****, harder to star KO as your only realistic means of getting knocked out if you're smart about your placing on the stage and when the level splits in two you can pick an opposite side and fire arrows for 20 seconds or so.
I agree with your points about Bridge, but the stage is illegal in competitive play.

D

Deleted member

RC is link's best stage because of the countless amount of platforms that make spamming and camping easier and the walls help set up for jab lock combos

if you actually know the stage you shouldn't get gimped

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah, RC and Norfair, both awesome for projectile use. Though I can't seem to win on those stages because they don't really fit my style of play. *shrug*

And this is a random DI question:

Isn't the definition of SDI when a player uses TDI (with both or either sticks) during the hitlag?

My point:

TDI - can it technically be done with both sticks? It's just tapping either of the sticks. Because SDI can be done with the control stick, just use TDI with the control stick while in hitlag. This has been a question on my mind since Arkive's DI video came out.

Like, part of me says that TDI = control stick, SDI = C-stick is wrong, because Smashwiki says so, but the other part of me says "......but it's Arkive, just listen and learn."

:dizzy:

D

Deleted member

Yeah, RC and Norfair, both awesome for projectile use. Though I can't seem to win on those stages because they don't really fit my style of play. *shrug*

And this is a random DI question:

Isn't the definition of SDI when a player uses TDI (with both or either sticks) during the hitlag?

My point:

TDI - can it technically be done with both sticks? It's just tapping either of the sticks. Because SDI can be done with the control stick, just use TDI with the control stick while in hitlag. This has been a question on my mind since Arkive's DI video came out.

Like, part of me says that TDI = control stick, SDI = C-stick is wrong, because Smashwiki says so, but the other part of me says "......but it's Arkive, just listen and learn."

:dizzy:
tap DI was in 64 and it was done with the control stick
SDI was added in melee and it was mainly done with the cstick

technically yea theyre the same thing, but then you have to remember that you can't SDI with cstick set to tilts so thats y i say cstick DI is smash DI

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Do any of you Link mains NOT use DACUS? And if so are you successful without it?

sasook

Smash Champion
I use it occasionally at most. It's not a great move, wayyyyyyy overrated. People don't realize it's so easy to shield grab a DAC.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I never use it. Ever. I think it is useful for some combos but way overrated. At best it is for combos and learning to bombslide correctly (thanks Sasook for helping me realize how useful the reverse bombslide is).
Nice match against L-Cancel btw, I wish I could've faced you Zamus now. :(

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I use it after hitting someone with a double Zair and it'll usually connect. I use it during throws as well depending on the spacing...I can't ever seem to have a huge sliding DAC anymore. They're massively puny now on average instead of sliding half a screen. Probably more practical this way I guess.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I use it.... well when I see it necessary lol Like if I hit them far away, I'll use it but I have a hard time actually using it. I can do it perfectly it's just not that useful. However, PB is way too good.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
It has its uses but mostly I just use it for mindgames. It can be punishable so I use it sparingly.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
i'm not sure if anyone asked but i don't wanna look through 11 + pages to check, i was looking on youtube for the link tech (tech for anyone but works best for link) with the sliding tilts. I know you have to do a certain number of quick standing pivots or something like that but i didn't favorite it and didn't see it in any of the link guides.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
i'm not sure if anyone asked but i don't wanna look through 11 + pages to check, i was looking on youtube for the link tech (tech for anyone but works best for link) with the sliding tilts. I know you have to do a certain number of quick standing pivots or something like that but i didn't favorite it and didn't see it in any of the link guides.
Pivot Boosting or Craq Walking has that effect.

Pivot boost. When on the ground face your opponent since that's where you want to hit lightly tap the opposite direction then hold the direction of your opponent again immediately after. You need to sweet spot when to hit your Tilt for maximum range on your Pivot Boost.

Craq walking

While *not* facing your opponent jump in the air while holding the direction of your opponent so you're back is still facing him while you're jumping toward him. When you land it gives you the same effect as a pivot boost while you start walking toward your opponent again. Must be sweet spotted for maximum range from when you decide to do your tilt. (It's something like two steps or a step and a half before you hit A)

This video will explain it for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgzVCD3uS4

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Errr, why exactly do people hit Air Dodge when they zairing toward their opponent? On the outside it seems a little needless but what's going on in there since I see Izaw, Legan and I think Deva do it (not holding a bomb).

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
Errr, why exactly do people hit Air Dodge when they zairing toward their opponent? On the outside it seems a little needless but what's going on in there since I see Izaw, Legan and I think Deva do it (not holding a bomb).
It's just personal preference. Some people are used to it, and it works better for them. Myself, I just press Z.

No double posts.

~Saint~

mc4

Smash Journeyman
Pivot Boosting or Craq Walking has that effect.

Pivot boost. When on the ground face your opponent since that's where you want to hit lightly tap the opposite direction then hold the direction of your opponent again immediately after. You need to sweet spot when to hit your Tilt for maximum range on your Pivot Boost.

Craq walking

While *not* facing your opponent jump in the air while holding the direction of your opponent so you're back is still facing him while you're jumping toward him. When you land it gives you the same effect as a pivot boost while you start walking toward your opponent again. Must be sweet spotted for maximum range from when you decide to do your tilt. (It's something like two steps or a step and a half before you hit A)

This video will explain it for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgzVCD3uS4
thanks, that exactly what i was lookin for

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Hitting airdodge isn't only a preference, it can help you mix up your timing with the zair. Yes, you could

probably mix up your timing without the airdodge, but it gives you the added benefit of avoiding possible

attacks. If you get used to it, it'll also help you in approaching projectile users.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Hitting with the single hit of the zair opens up a plethora of combo possibilities.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think Link is better than Toon Link?! I was playing with toon link in SSE and he is faster, better nair, easier combos, and a perfect spike!...I think i might become a TL player...what do you guys think bout TL?!

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Do you guys think Link is better than Toon Link?! I was playing with toon link in SSE and he is faster, better nair, easier combos, and a perfect spike!...I think i might become a TL player...what do you guys think bout TL?!
TL is faster, has better aerials and recovery, better projectiles and a spike. All Link has over TL is a little power and range (his bow does go farther than TL's contrary to popular opinion).
But you can't main TL and be manly at the same time. It just doesn't work.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Toon Link is much more of a solid character than Link is.

His projectiles are worse in my opinion but his recovery is super awesome and he can get back from pretty much anything with some slack on his rope left over to swerve in and out of an opponents off-edge attack. His Aerial game is in my opinion his staple of fighting since his DI is pretty lenient and he can swerve in and out guerrilla tactics style. He can spam arrows faster but they're slower and don't go as far.

His spike is full of LOL. You'll get addicted to the rush of nailing someone off the edge with it but you'll also feel the burn of missing 50%... although it's better to use his spike at the edge of the stage so he barely stays on the ledge and can still sweet spot spiking a person.

I use Toon Link as my secondary character right below my main Link...if you pick Toon Link over Link you'll probably do generally better but Link is a beast with all his advanced techniques and combos. Toon Link doesn't have close to as many as Link.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
Yeah TL is my 2nd main under Link now...i figured out that sweet spot spiking yesterday...i got over 100 KOs in a row...last count was i got 268 KOs against 3 level 7 computer Links...they killed me less than 20 times...not too bad! :p

sasook

Smash Champion
Yes, go, post on their boards.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
LMMFAO dont start no **** with me...you think ur better than me?...i dont need all that fancy crap you guys use to win...i destroy everyone i play...so stop bull****in and step tha **** up you lil ******!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :mad:

sasook

Smash Champion
Did I ever say I am better than you? Did I ever say you have to use all the fancy stuff? Did I ever say you can't beat your opponents
(cpus)
? No. So calm down.

Guardian Aelita

Smash Rookie
Guys, can't we please just get along? That and I'm a bit confused. I don't know which out of these two guys would win.

:ike:

VS.

:link2:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Guys, can't we please just get along? That and I'm a bit confused. I don't know which out of these two guys would win.

:ike:

VS.

:link2:
LINK!!!

Well, Link certainly has spammage and if the Link can arrow and boomerang guard correctly and also edgehog with zair efficiently then Ike shouldn't be that difficult. But Ike can gimp Link pretty easy and get good fast kills, so I'd put this battle at 50:50, maybe 55:45 Link's favor.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Its actually pretty even. Maybe a 55:45 Link adv.

Link can spam all day but Ikes jab is just to godly. It's even better than link jab...i mean like WTF

How is that possible Sakuri?

Link also has laggy moves which you cannot use. If you do and you mess up, consider yourself toast.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I thought you guys agreed on 60:40 Link?

Sure, Ike's jabs **** Link, but Link has all the tools to keep him away and 'play gay'.

In any case, I have a question: Does Link's Z-air clank with any attacks? Or does it have transcended priority?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom