• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~~Official Link Metagame Discussion~~

Legan

Smash Lord
Ive been noticing how badly Ive been getting punished when Im off the stage with link and have been trying to figure out how I get in these positions and how to avoid them.

I think the main problem is that Link shoud be using the zair whiplash recovery (The one where you save yourself by grappling the stage after knockback) way more often. I find myself DI'ing upwards even when there is absolutely no chance that Ill survive any smash. I think we should all work on DIing downwards and using the zair recovery more often. I think that will produce way better results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZnXchDKS1c&feature=related at 45 seconds I noticed that link doesnt even have to be aligned with the stage for this to work. I though only Toon Link could do it. I know this is a known tech but Im just saying that we should be making better use of it because at higher lvls of play, even if u do DI correctly and survive a powerful attack, you're still more than likely going to get gimped.

Work on DI'ing Diagnolly and downward once you reach 110+% and I think youll notice your stocks will last alot longer.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Ive been noticing how badly Ive been getting punished when Im off the stage with link and have been trying to figure out how I get in these positions and how to avoid them.

I think the main problem is that Link shoud be using the zair whiplash recovery (The one where you save yourself by grappling the stage after knockback) way more often. I find myself DI'ing upwards even when there is absolutely no chance that Ill survive any smash. I think we should all work on DIing downwards and using the zair recovery more often. I think that will produce way better results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZnXchDKS1c&feature=related at 45 seconds I noticed that link doesnt even have to be aligned with the stage for this to work. I though only Toon Link could do it. I know this is a known tech but Im just saying that we should be making better use of it because at higher lvls of play, even if u do DI correctly and survive a powerful attack, you're still more than likely going to get gimped.

Work on DI'ing Diagnolly and downward once you reach 110+% and I think youll notice your stocks will last alot longer.
^This.

Only thing is, of all ATs, this is probably by far the hardest to learn how to use if you are limited to playing online. I still don't even think about doing it, and I wanted to change that a few months ago before I got swamped by homework, never got to it. Thanks for reminding me Legan, I think this may be worth it's weight in gold.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman

In the situation you showed in the video, wouldn't it have been better to dodge then zair recover? Using the zair above the stage seemed to leave you open to an attack--if arkive was closer wouldn't you have been hit or do you get invincibility frames?

Also, you say to start di'ing diagonally and downward after reaching 110%. In the video example your at about 60%, did you mean to di that way under 110%? Cause if you di down after 110% a Link fsmash would likely kill and i don't think the zair would reach the edge due to the launch angle.

Legan

Smash Lord
In the situation you showed in the video, wouldn't it have been better to dodge then zair recover? Using the zair above the stage seemed to leave you open to an attack--if arkive was closer wouldn't you have been hit or do you get invincibility frames?

Also, you say to start di'ing diagonally and downward after reaching 110%. In the video example your at about 60%, did you mean to di that way under 110%? Cause if you di down after 110% a Link fsmash would likely kill and i don't think the zair would reach the edge due to the launch angle.
Me using the zair in the situation was an accident, I did airdodge but the grapple automatically grabbed the edge. I wouldnt attempt to grapple the First swing of a link fsmash anyway unless I was right next to the edge. Links fsmash is weaksauce, the first swing at least is.

Most attacks can be DI'ed so that youll be able to zair recover. 110% and up you should be DI'ing down.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Believe it or not I've been trying to get this down for like two weeks now, mostly for the reasons Legan stated (not giving chances to be gimped).

I've had positive results but I still dont have this down as I've not played much these days, but seeing as Legan and Blubba are already into this then maybe we're on the right track.

Just like Legan is doing here, what we really need to work on is looking for ways to somehow lessen our major weakness (recovery), that's the way to advance Link's metagame. Because despite all the ATs, we're still being gimped and our character remains bottom tier.

sasook

Smash Champion
I noticed that link doesnt even have to be aligned with the stage for this to work. I though only Toon Link could do it. I know this is a known tech but Im just saying that we should be making better use of it because at higher lvls of play, even if u do DI correctly and survive a powerful attack, you're still more than likely going to get gimped.

I assumed zair grapple even while above the ledge was common knowledge lol

The problem I see with this is that if you miss (let's say you're just a fraction of a second too late) you're absolutely doomed. There's no "backup plan" you know?

@FEaR - don't forget our character is bottom tier due to the extremely high learning curve (freakin' top tiers and their somewhat ease of use)

Side topic: Remember this from a while back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OAKgU-RjwY

Does this have any uses?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
WHERE DID 2008 GO?! D:<
down my toilet *flushes*

Zair grapple has been known for a while and its OMGWTFBBQ. It could be used I guess, plus it's really not hard to learn. Link has to be a reasonable grppling distance away and directly above the ledge. Good for mindgames, I could totally see Legan using this to land more of those ledgehopped Fairs of his. :)

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
I assumed zair grapple even while above the ledge was common knowledge lol

The problem I see with this is that if you miss (let's say you're just a fraction of a second too late) you're absolutely doomed. There's no "backup plan" you know?

@FEaR - don't forget our character is bottom tier due to the extremely high learning curve (freakin' top tiers and their somewhat ease of use)

Side topic: Remember this from a while back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OAKgU-RjwY

Does this have any uses?
Errrr srry sasook but no. Learning curve is pretty irrelevant. Snake has a pretty high learning curve from what i see and look at him

Mk on the other hand.......

sasook

Smash Champion
Edited because I was wrong due to misreading Twilight's post. Never mind, Twilight is correct.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Twilight, you cannot tell me it's there's not a high learning curve to Link. It's huge - look at all the AT's, look at the need to master a perfect spacing/project game, look at how hard it is to learn to recover successfully. Link is definitely not one of those guys that someone can pick up and within a week, be playing very good with him.
He didn't say that Link didn't have a high learning curve. He said that it was irrelevant to his tier position.

sasook

Smash Champion
Oh, I misinterpreted his post then. I'll edit mine.

What I meant was, due to the high learning curve Link has, it discourages people from playing him - they don't have the dedication that most Link fanboys do. So less players = less tourney appearances = lower on the tier list. That's what I meant. But yeah, Twilight's right I guess, Snake does have a decent learning curve if you wanna be as good as Tap or Ally.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
i actually like link's learning curve because i dont like to play characters that are used widely. If link had just a better recovery, hed be mid at least. If u look at early videos of link mainers, they didnt use zair (which we now know as link's best move). Based on that fact, many people thought that he was utter garbage and gave him no attention. When zair was recognized as a FANTASTIC move for link, it was already too late; many people had already moved on to Toon Link. Thats why link hasnt progressed as much as other characters IMO. Nontheless, link still is pretty bad, but not as terrible as people thought he was.

lol, I must be the only one who mains link cause he is the one who feels most natural to me and is the one I needed least training to start play well with.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
ive mained only link since the n64. I main him because he is my favorite nintendo character and i love his games. His moves feel natural to me, im not used to playing top tier characters in a game, i alwyas seem to main the low tier ones XD

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Same for me, after Marth, Link is the character that just flows the most for me when I play him. And I love his games ^_^

sasook

Smash Champion
This conversation isn't really advancing Link's metagame....lol

Anyways, how about discussing that link I posted earlier? Does it have any uses?

Top Bottom