• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
some people use vcrs and record them on tape, but u have to buy a device to convert the recorded matches on tape, into a vid onto ur comp, im not too sure what its called.

or u can have a video camera hooked up to ur comp, and record it, (i think thats what some people use, but its probably very expensive)

or u can do it the way i do, just have ur digital camera record the match, then u put it onto ur comp and use windows movie maker to edit the size and quality to be lower, (usually its like 2 minutes would be 150mb or something incredibly huge like that).

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Falco vs. Peach Strategy Request!

Ok so me and my friend are religious Melee players, we usually joke around and play random matches, random characters on random boards. But when we get serious I'm always Falco. He just picked up on playing as Peach and now has a fetish for her Smash Down A. It annoys me to no end that any move can put +50% on me in one shot. I WRECK him as anyone vs. my Falco but i just can't fight this whorenado thing he loves. HELP PLEASE! He won't shut up and gloats to no end about winning all the **** time now. I swear I'm about to whip the controller at his head soon.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
sh laser camp him, and make him come to u, and put him into a dair shine combo to uair.

jab(just the first neutral a) then fsmash.

dont crouch or use shine when he can retaliate.

cause u only get 50 damage from peach's dsmash if ur crouching.

avoid getting grabbed.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
some people use vcrs and record them on tape, but u have to buy a device to convert the recorded matches on tape, into a vid onto ur comp, im not too sure what its called.

or u can have a video camera hooked up to ur comp, and record it, (i think thats what some people use, but its probably very expensive)

or u can do it the way i do, just have ur digital camera record the match, then u put it onto ur comp and use windows movie maker to edit the size and quality to be lower, (usually its like 2 minutes would be 150mb or something incredibly huge like that).
At the last tourney I went to I saw a guy splitting the feed from the gamecube into both the TV and his comp, and recording the match that way. Anybody know how to do that?

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
At the last tourney I went to I saw a guy splitting the feed from the gamecube into both the TV and his comp, and recording the match that way. Anybody know how to do that?
actually, i have setup similar to this, except instead of a computer i have it hooked up to a dvd recorder. i dont run it through the recorder to the tv because of lag. all you need is a splitter to take one a/v input and change it to two outputs. if youre going to record on your computer, youre going to need an input on your computer (so it can actually get the a/v). not too difficult to find.

http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Teleport_(SSB)

Does anyone have any videos of this being performed?

Also, is this technique worth taking the time to learn?
at the bottom of the page there is a link to 'watch this being performed on youtube'. click there. i dont play ssb64 competitively so i dont know if it would be worth learning, you should ask in the smash 64 thread.

Can somebody tell me how to cancel Dr. Mario's up-B attack,I'm having trouble with it.
i heard you press up+b then within 4 frames jam the control stick in the opposite direction doc will travel, eg. if you are facing right jam down-left, and if you are facing left smash down-right. i havent actually dont it on my own on purpose though. check the doc threads for more reliable info.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I need help with a few events to get FD, so if any of these aren't required to get to event 51 and beating it then don't bother answering for that event.

I checked GameFAQs, but the event FAQ wasn't very great. I need to beat 36, 43, 44, 45, 49, and of course 51. (Sorry for the large amount of help asked for :/)

Link226

Smash Ace
I know how to DI generally. But i found a lil while ago but didnt want to get into it. But I learned that there are different DI's the normal DI with the control stick and the C-stick. I heard of smash DI, half-circled DI, etc. Can ya explain all the different DI's and how to do them? I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance

petre

Smash Lord
I know how to DI generally. But i found a lil while ago but didnt want to get into it. But I learned that there are different DI's the normal DI with the control stick and the C-stick. I heard of smash DI, half-circled DI, etc. Can ya explain all the different DI's and how to do them? I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance
click me!

I need help with a few events to get FD, so if any of these aren't required to get to event 51 and beating it then don't bother answering for that event.

I checked GameFAQs, but the event FAQ wasn't very great. I need to beat 36, 43, 44, 45, 49, and of course 51. (Sorry for the large amount of help asked for :/)
these are how i beat them...probably not the best strategy though.
36-the bat is your friend. also back throwing the first three off the right side.
43-jump around alot, maybe youll get lucky and one will fall and SD. but watch out for falcon's up+b, he likes to use that alot.
44-pick a fast character, so you can run away from zelda for the first few seconds. this is almost like that event where you have to kill both ic nanas, except here both are attacking you. if you kill zelda you fail.
45-the down tilt is your best friend. camp under the roof on the right, and just spam the d-tilt.
49-not much help i can give, you just gotta pwn. remember to grab items whenever possible, and if you can get cheap, do it.
51-you can use the standard pick-jiggy-and-pwn-giga-bowser-with-rest-then-run-away-and-spam-items strategy. thats the easiest one. rest giga bowser until he's gone, then just jump around until items appear, and throw them at ganon and mewtwo.

hope that helps some.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
Thanks bud. Kicked his *** tonight! :D
ya, the jab fsmash is just annoying and deadly, especially at around 120% or so, and on floaty characters, (like peach obviously), it bounces them up temperarily stunned, and just c-stick the fsmash.

at lower percentages, if peach is crouching a lot before u use ur jab, or during ur jab, then stop using it, cause she can crouch cancel counter u, so just be weary of that too.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
So I'm endeavoring to get the equipment to record matches on my computer. I plan on getting an A/V splitter and an A/V imput USB adaptor for my computer. Once I've got these things, what program do I need to record matches? Would Windows Movie Maker work? Does anybody who's done this before have any advice for me?

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if there was some tips to perform easily some characters' short hops.
(i mean characters like sheik, kirby, or ICs)

Coz without training i can master these one...

(once again excuse me for my english i'm just a french ^^)

petre

Smash Lord
So I'm endeavoring to get the equipment to record matches on my computer. I plan on getting an A/V splitter and an A/V imput USB adaptor for my computer. Once I've got these things, what program do I need to record matches? Would Windows Movie Maker work? Does anybody who's done this before have any advice for me?
im not sure what you'd use for that, as ive never recorded through my computer... you can ask about it here though.

I was wondering if there was some tips to perform easily some characters' short hops.

short hopping is done by pressing the x/y button for a short period of time. what many people do is let your finger slide off the button, instead of lifting your finger back up after pressing the button. just make sure the button is only down for a very short time.

Tyson651

Smash Lord

some people like to just scratch the x/y button to jump, and u hear the flicking noise when they do it. because what ur trying to do is, press jump, and let go of it before they get off the ground, by doing so this will trigger a short hop.

so its just a matter of speed of letting go the jump button.

characters like sheik, samus, and fox, are a lot harder to short hop with, while ganon and bowser are much easier, due to the amount of time they take to jump.

What does it help if u hold L-button while startting the gamecube?
holding the L button down while starting the gamecube will make it think the depressed form (since ur holding it down) is in NEUTRAL position. i find no point doing this, since, an undepressed L button does nothing (since u wont be able to depress it any further than the "neutral" position.).

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
holding the L button down while starting the gamecube will make it think the depressed form (since ur holding it down) is in NEUTRAL position. i find no point doing this, since, an undepressed L button does nothing (since u wont be able to depress it any further than the "neutral" position.).
Wouldn't that have the effect of using the large shield instead of the small one when you have the button all the way down? I can see that as helping. If you need to press the button all the way you can just use R. Maybe this is a good idea....

petre

Smash Lord
good luck trying to l-cancel or powershield like that though...it might mess you up since you have to press it all the way to do either of these now. you could practice using a different button for the different types of sheilds, but thats the same as just modding your controller. except when you mod your controller its going to be like that every time, with the 'hold the button before the system starts' i dont think youd get consistent results. but im gonna test it tommorow. either way it would probably be considered the same as modding your controller, and be banned from tourneys. so in the end, i dont really think you wanna become too dependent on it...however im not positive. best to check with the people hosting the tourney.

amished

Smash Cadet
I know Fox-trotting is repeatedly using your starting dash animation over and over again, but I can't figure out the timing. Any help on this? I tried using the search, but everything came up as Fox related and not what I'm looking for.

Or is foxtrotting just waiting til your dash animation is done, and starting it up again? If that's the case, it would seem like it'd be a heck of a lot slower than just sprinting the whole time.

Thanks-
Ami

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
I think that it's generaly slower for all characters save Fox, because Fox's starting dash is so much faster than his continued run. People use the Fox trot for mindgames. If you Fox trot you can go immediately into a dashdance whenever you want, and pivot at any given moment. It also throws off your opponent's timing.

LiQViD

Smash Cadet
I was wondering if someone could comment on my problem.
My problem is:
Me and my friend play smash alot, he is usually Yoshi or Mario and I'm either Marth or Falco. I'm better than him though so I usually win. Anyway, about a week ago, we were fighting and I was beating him over and over. He got frustrated and decided he would use Roy against my marth. I thought it would be an easy match but I didn't defeat him again for the rest of the day. All he would do is crouch cancel my moves and forward smash me. Of course, with Roy's F-smash, I would be off the edge in just one or two hits, so then he would move to the edge, charge B, and release when I got close. I tried everything to be able to win but no matter what I did (shuffling, crouch canceling, shield-grabing, wavedashing, all my mindgames), he would always be able to take the hit by shielding, spot-dodging, or crouch canceling and f-smash me to death at usually < 70%.
I even tried using my falco on him but only found that I would combo him from 0 to +100% and then die in one f-smash because falco's recovery is terrible and he falls so quickly.
(Btw, if I shield the F-Smash, it usually goes through the shield and I get hit anyway).

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I could try to beat him.
Thanks.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
dash dance to grab, and if u space a fsmash well, he wont be able to crouch cancel that.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Heh, I guess I just feel like helping people today.

Well, part of it matters what character you are using and how many stocks you have left. If you have one stock you should be very careful about what you do. This stage can easily mess you up. Fourtunately you can use that to your advantage. If you're someone like DK, Mario/Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Kirby, or anyone who has a good back throw (Kirby can suck in and blow out instead), you can just use that since Flatzone is quite small.

If you are using someone else, then chances are you'd wanna try and group the computers (since their AI is so easy to trick) so that you can land a powerful hit like a smash. It shoudl usually send them off at around 50% if it's strong. Fox's Up Smash or Marth's Forward Smash are good examples.

You really need to be careful and watch everything that is happening on the screen. Normally a random crate or barrel spells defeat for me so basically keep an eye out for other objects.
True but you're forgetting something important: you only get one life in All-Star mode.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Kokichi, I didn't know that BBT was a playable character in melee. Lol, neither did I know that Doc was a respected player. Unless it's an inside joke...
Are there any strats for beating G&W, the last part of all-star mode on very hard?
You don't need strats for all characters. For some, simple strategies are all you need.
If you are Dr. Mario or Mario: Stay below them and use your UP +B move, the Super Jump Punch. If they get next to you, fool the AI into Jumping by being on a high platform{Do not do this if tools are raining.} then quickly dive to the floor.
If you are Peach: Follow the same strategy as Mario, but remember that the parasol leaves you vunerable from below.
Yoshi: Stand under a platform, crouch cancel, and use yor down tilt. It shouls knock them out in one hit.
Fox or Falco: Just shine them and stay on the ground most of the time.
Roy: Use blazer the same way you would use the Super Jump Punch.

Snow lizard

Smash Rookie
Okay so my little brother likes to play smash with me but he isn't very good at anything other than the C-stick. Lately he has been making attempts to get better by learning the advanced techniques such as wavedashing and teching and so on. I was wondering if you could give me character advice on who he should learn to play first so that he can get the basics down and go from there.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
what is an Fsmash cancel? i heard its when you use marth, and cancel your Fsmash so you can use your fsmash as fast as pichu can jab. Does this make marth cheap?

and to liqvid...i hope your kidding about using marth and using all of ur mindgames, shield grabbing, dashdancing and still losing to roy. I hope your joking, because roy is by far 50X worse than marth. If for some reason you aren't joking i'll try to answer your question with the most simple strategy for marth against roy.

Forward Smash him. Your sword is longer, and does more damage when you hit with the tip. He shouldn't be hitting you at all, just outrange him. Spam Fsmashes as much as you can and you should have no problem 4stocking him without taking any damage. The only Roy you should lose to is UmbreonMow's, which I get the chance to play in May. Mow if your reading this, I can't wait to beat up on your roy.(Plz go easy on me mow)

freddy 22

Smash Rookie
JesiahTEG how would you use marth to verse link? Link has a shorter sword but he also has that second sword swipe. The biggest thing Link has over marth is the projectiles? So what techniques would you use against Link?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
How do you do an aerial from a edgehang? I see people do it in vids but when I try to do it I do some weird edgejump that doesn't allow me to do any aerials.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
How do you do an aerial from a edgehang? I see people do it in vids but when I try to do it I do some weird edgejump that doesn't allow me to do any aerials.
What you need to do is while you're hangning, hit down and then quickly either jump and attack or up B. You need to be quick or else you may give your opponent ample time to see it coming and dodge/counter or miss the stage completely. It takes a little practice, but not much.

freddy 22

Smash Rookie
Someone please tell me what wavedashing really is? I hear it so much on the forums. Is it just running towards your oppenent and jumping and then quickly pressing L or R so you can get some space and then get a quick smash attack in or what? Help please!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think to washdash you have to jump, hit L or R and aim diagonally [you must do this before the jump animation begins otherwise you'll do an airdodge] to the ground to wavedash in that direction [can you wavedash backwards while facing forward too]

Tyson651

Smash Lord
what is an Fsmash cancel? i heard its when you use marth, and cancel your Fsmash so you can use your fsmash as fast as pichu can jab. Does this make marth cheap?
the only way ur fsmash would cancel is if u used it to hit a projectile such as a samus' missle, but otherwise, its too slow to cancel projectiles, and u can easily use ftilt or neutral a to swipe away projectiles that are in the way. and to my own experience, (which is a lot) i have never heard of such thing of a marth's fsmash being as fast as pichu's jab. also i main marth, so this is nearly 99.9% NOT true. maybe using action replay or some sort of cheat could allow this to happen, otherwise, i doubt it.

JesiahTEG how would you use marth to verse link? Link has a shorter sword but he also has that second sword swipe. The biggest thing Link has over marth is the projectiles? So what techniques would you use against Link?
stay close to link, and use a lot of fair, nair, and grabs to overcome him with speed. easy combos such as uthrow to utilt a few times to any aerial u want after to fsmash can do the trick starting at low percentages. u dont have to worry about his second swipe, since u can just hold ur shield or roll away that second swipe. arrows and boomerags are easily swiped away using ur ftilt as u just walk towards him, bombs can be catched by pressing a before it hits u when ur standing on the ground, or z when ur in the air. if ur too scared to catch bombs, then just roll away from them. link should be a somewhat easy game, as long as u stay on him and dont give him any breathing room, and keep him on the tip of ur sword, so ur out of his range, but hes still in ur range, if he gets any closer, u can easily grab him.

Someone please tell me what wavedashing really is? I hear it so much on the forums. Is it just running towards your oppenent and jumping and then quickly pressing L or R so you can get some space and then get a quick smash attack in or what? Help please!
go to this link, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749
this link is a sticky thread in the melee discussion forum, it explains about what wavedashing is, and many other terms u might question in the future, try looking there first, and if it isnt there, then u should ask here, but im sure nearly all terms are there anyway.

well, it depends on what character u are using, certain characters are much harder to ledgehop attack from, while other characters are much easier, characters such as falco and fox seem easy to me, while characters like roy, is pretty hard. and some like ganon, who are only limited to certain aerials, since they are way too slow or lack height of their second jump to even perform laggy aerials, however, ganon can do uair from ledgehop.

what u really want to do is press down or away from the ledge, SLIGHTLY, therefore u wont fast fall and lose a lot of precious height, and after doing that, ur character will let go of the ledge, quickly after, u need to press jump, then the aerial attack wanted, then DI ur self towards the stage by holding that direction while ur aerial is being performed. ledgehop fair aerials are much easier than any other aerials, since ur holding forward anyway, and ur DI'ing and doing ur aerial at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom