• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL GA Power Rankings thread- Updated for 6-26-08 (OR ARE THEY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Chaddd, ur beef vs Xif and FL has nothing to do with the PRs man. I looked at the results and at first wanted you up there because of ur impressive record in GA tournaments. But remember we are also counting OOS tourneys aswell and Xif has placed really well in the recent ones that passed.

I knida know what's going on here but w/e lets keep this professional guys.

Carter88

Smash Journeyman
Why am I 6th?? I don't think there should be some equation for the power rankings. If there were, there would be no need for the panelists. The panelists are supposed to be unbiased representatives that are aware of the skill level of most of the players in the state. I mean no offense, but I'm sure that Fullmetal, Prac, and Cornel know that I am better than them. Even though i didn't go to some of the more recent tourneys, I did go to the first Waba tournies (and won them all, outplacing XIF in one) and I went to those South Carolina tournies (also winning one and ouplacing most of you in another). No johns, but I got bracket and pool f*cked in TGMTSBCO. Real talk.

I'm not gonna argue about the whole Chaddd and XIF thing because they both are very close. But I think I am definitively better than the current #3, 4, and 5. That's my opinion.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
tournament placings guys!!!!

NOT SKILL!!!!!!

if that was the case, I'd be on the **** thing! LOL

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Not gonna argue about placings once again

I wanna justify the apparent animosity between me and siding with Florida at OOS tournaments.

Yes, I do have Florida pride moreso than Georgia, not because i'm embarrassed by GA in any way, but because my smash roots are there. I havent been in Georgia for even a year and I started smash in FL in 2003. My two best friends live in Florida. They are the ones that helped me improve the most, from lambchops to green mario. But for instance at the Carbondale Illinois tournament, I came and I tried to rep georgia as hard I could, we did a georgia crew there and beat out the TN crew. Its not like I try to ostracize myself completely from georgia. I apologize if people feel insulted because I side with Florida more.

As for whether that means I should be on the list at all...

I play in georgia tournaments almost exclusively. Simple as that. Where else would I fall?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Quick question; if the rankings are based of tournament placings, then why do we even need a panel? Couldn't you just figure out who did the best at the tournies where more good people showed, and that's end of story? We really don't need a panel for that... I'm not gonna say it's right or wrong, but it is obviously quite a controversial list. O_o

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont understand the point of making a PR list based on anything except skill.

if you guys are going to do this list, you should do another real, skill-based list as well.

the whole point of a rankings list is to list the best current smashers, or so I thought.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
In response to the (as usual) disagreements about the PR update,
I'm going to make ONE, and one effort only, to make peace here.

I don't honestly expect anything good to come from this, but here goes:

The tournaments used:
TheGreatestMeleeTournamentSinceBrawlCameOut

G4S5

Reflex's Mega Fun Smash Challenge Session

Pound 3

NOYS(Soft's house tournament
7- FullMetal
7- Cornel

However, after some digging(because the PR update was neglected for so long) I found THESE tournaments that could have/should have been used in the PR update:

Smashfest/Tournaments in SC

October 27th Waba games melee tournament
1st - carter (split pot)
2nd - xif
3rd - fmtl
4th - marty
5th - chris
5th - 112

doubles
1st - 112/carter
2nd - xif/fmtl
3rd - laijin/rakyu
4th - sleepyk/elliot

Smash Or Die 5

UNCP 2008 (tournament in North Carolina)
Singles:
1- L0ZR
2- Chaddd
3- I'veJihadIt
4- Soft
5- XIF
5- FullMetal
7- Cornel

Doubles:
1. GBC (GPC) FACE CRUSHERS(Chaddd+FullMetal)
2. WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD(XIF+PB&J)
3. NC CATFISH
4. AXEL ROSE FAN CLUB
5. THE TRUTH--> ON OUR GROWN MAN STATUS --> MY TEAM
5. **** KINGS
7. NC NY --> DAMA'S TEAM
7. TRI-FORCE
9. STFE
9. THE UNICORN MUFFINS
9. KARN & JOHN (SORRY KARN)
9. DOUBLE DOC
13. DOC-FONON --> FONON'S TEAM

I don't remember after that ... >.<

I move that the panel reconvene, and re-discuss the PR, BUT according to these new guidelines:

1. The PR will be based upon tournament rankings(both singles AND doubles), with consideration to skill. (Implying that the panel has discretion to place one player above another if they feel that player is better than another), and attendance.
2. Attendance will be determined as is necessary, allowing each player to miss 1 or 2 smash tournaments with no consequence. However, missing more than 2 tournaments that have 5 or more of the top 10 in attendance, will result in a drop in rank on the PR.
3. A "tier 2" will be added, consisting of a maximum of 5 members, THIS list's members are to be decided solely by the panel's opinions of them, given that they were
a. considered for the top 10 but did not place well enough
or
b. the panelists all agree that the player has a high enough skill level to be worth mentioning
4. Only IN STATE tournaments or OUT OF STATE TOURNAMENTS WITH 5 OF THE TOP 10 IN ATTENDANCE, regardless of size on a national basis, should be counted towards the making of the PR. This is the GEORGIA power rankings, not the "Georgia and people from other states" power rankings.
(Placing well at out of state tournaments is great, but does not help in comparing a player's skill to other top players in their state)

Now, back to the current situation at hand-

@DruggedFox and TheOneJanitor: stfu please? Neither of you is on a panel, and you are not in the discussions we have. The way the GA PR operates based on its current criteria, is solely by tournament placings, but someone still has to confirm the accuracy of the placings, and look at the brackets to determine if a player's rank reflects their skill.
No offense to either of you, I'm not making this statement as a personal attack. But your posts repeating the same things without any first hand knowledge, is not helping the situation here. :)

@Chaddd- The deciding reason for you being put at #2, was the OOS tournaments.
I'll be frank, I'd put you at #1, based on the criteria that your record is better IN state.
But the panel doesn't consist of just me, its myself, Dogy, 112, and Mike G. My personal opinion can't sway the whole panel's decision very much.

@Carter- Yes you're better than me. <3
But I don't intend for it to stay that way ;)

Again, to recap:
I want to re-evaluate the PR, using the "new" tournament results I've found, and according to the new rules for creating the power rankings.

Support/criticism/comments about my suggestion for the new way to evaluate the PR?
Consensus on PR re-do?

Prac352

Smash Lord
The only person I've ever actually seen or heard laughing at the GA smash scene is Chad.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Doubles? No.

Im not down for that.

-edit-
and time out, where did SoD5 and this North Carolina tourney come up? And the South Carolina tourney.

I'm going to be just as honest outside of the pr as inside, those 3 tourneys were NEVER brought up. What's up with that?
Personally, I had forgotten them- so I used a search on SWF to find tournaments in between September 2007 and June 2006.

Thats why they were never brought up, and you guys didn't remember them either~ lol

@Panelists: if you agree OR disagree with the statements I'm making, PLEASE say so!
I'm not trying to run the panel by myself, but I AM moving for reform, so edit or improve upon my ideas as you see fit, so we can all work together to improve the PR.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
I think that this is an unnecessary **** storm in the making. Does it really matter what number your name is next to? Beat the person whos spot you want in tournament or outplace them and there you go. Also, this state needs more melee tournaments. Someone call the Waba guy and tell him to hold melee biweeklies. Seriously.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I think that this is an unnecessary **** storm in the making. Does it really matter what number your name is next to? Beat the person whos spot you want in tournament or outplace them and there you go. Also, this state needs more melee tournaments. Someone call the Waba guy and tell him to hold melee biweeklies. Seriously.

this man speaks great truth.

@mike we will consider thier skill for the PR where it matters.....at the tournaments.

I'm not very fond of teams

if you guys really want a tier, we could do that. Thats where we will consider skill outside of tourneys.

and thats my opinion on that

mog112

Smash Ace
me carter fullmetal and dogy seemed to have this as a possible idea.

having a big round robin of the top 10, or top 10 plus like 10 more maybe.

we would prbly update the rankings basically off the results from this.

what do you guys think about this?

Gerbil

Smash Champion
If you don't mind my 2 cents, you can continue reading this post. :)

If, however, you DO mind. Kindly skip over this post. Thanks. :)

I don't think you guys should consider teams. There are too many variables with fluxuating teammates. An example would be like.... I team with a CDE guy all the time, and we do decent. Then one time I teamed with IHaveSpaceBalls, and we got 5th(?) place at G4S5. That's a pretty large gap in placing in consideration lol. There are countless situations like that no doubt.

A Tier 2 of very few people with panelist decision based on people they respect skillwise sounds pretty cool I guess lol. So I have no comment on that.

OOS tournies. Perhaps they should come in to play if a player from GA that is being considered for top 10 did go. Like Carter for example. He did all those tournies OOS, so maybe those should be accounted for in some way, even if it's minor. You guys can figure out some way to work that out I'm sure.

I seem to remember when Wes first made the opening to the PR thread, that he specifically stated the PR was based on tournanment placing consistency in their respected results and attendance having a bit of influence. And that the list does not neccessarily mean person 4 beats person 6 everytime, but that person 4 places higher more consistantly than person 6. Or something like that. :) I also see that FM said this list was done via the old format. Put two and two together lol. Though, if you the panel, really wants to redo the list, then that's cool lol. No complaints here.

As for the panel members. I think all of you are fine for it. I've known most of you for about 2 years or so, and I can't really think of a better group of people to do this. *shrugs* Unless Wes was here of course, then I'd slap him in there too :p

Gerbil for the new tier 2 marite?! :D (this was a joke you haters LOL)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
you think final boss would appreciate it if a team rankings were made, and they weren't listed as #1?
It's more than a number.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Final Boss would just say "**** all ya'll other *****s anyway" LOL. But you make an excellent point with that one sentence XD.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
me carter fullmetal and dogy seemed to have this as a possible idea.

having a big round robin of the top 10, or top 10 plus like 10 more maybe.

we would prbly update the rankings basically off the results from this.

what do you guys think about this?
I think that was my idea. :p

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
If you don't mind my 2 cents, you can continue reading this post. :)

If, however, you DO mind. Kindly skip over this post. Thanks. :)

I don't think you guys should consider teams.
Oh trust me.

Hell's going to have to freeze over before i let that go down

I think that was my idea. :p
Actually, i've had the idea for a while and you brought it up to me.

I actually have had people looking into ranking systems for me for about a week or so.

:p

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i vote that while the status of the pr is up in question we throw up a jeff tier

S0FT

Smash Ace
When you base the PR on teams I assume they are looking for consistant results. IE your team is placing top 5 consistantly. I doubt they would count 1 time 5th place because you teamed with someone good gerbil. Teams do say something about skill
and just to neglect teams altogether would be foolish in my opinion.

Round Robin for like the top 15 players sounds like a good idea. I wouldnt mind hosting it at my place if yall really want to do that.

And btw people like mars and mike g How can yall complain about the lack of melee tournaments in GA when barely anyone supported the tournament I was going to try and host....

Gerbil

Smash Champion
When you base the PR on teams I assume they are looking for consistant results. IE your team is placing top 5 consistantly. I doubt they would count 1 time 5th place because you teamed with someone good gerbil. Teams do say something about skill
and just to neglect teams altogether would be foolish in my opinion.
So are you implying that me and Alpha arn't as good as a team as me and Jack because I swapped Samus players and teamed with a uh "good player"? There's something a little weird about that I'd say, especially considering both Samus players are close if not equal in skill and merely have different styles of play. It seems more like that it wasn't individual player skill that boosted the placing, but more than likely the teamwork of that given team during that given time. Seeing as how teams have constantly fluxuating partners, it's hard to determine individual skill if that's what you're going for.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
mmm i can feel the vigor in this mofo i wan2 play in the round robin but i am doubt in the top15 or am i lol any way just somethings to say. big up to my boy soft im proud of ya bro look forward to you advancing and ****. i also side with gerbil teams should not be considered i mean really sometimes your partner could be the reason why u placed so well not to say there is no skill in teams but i just feel singles have more of an say in your skill regarding a rank. also i thought xif would be removed but i also assume he wil be back in ga for the school year. oh and big up to fullmetal but honestly bro i also feel you jumped way to high for entering but im not a panalist so not that what i say matters but real talk congrats *extends hand out* and i also look forward to the little teir 2 list seeing as i would have more of a chance there then in the top 10 get to work guys :)

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
@Nicaboy- Thanks for the ups, man! But anybody who's been in the GA smash scene a while can tell you that I could've been on the top 10 for a while. Its not an un-founded jump. The fact that I'm listed above carter doesn't mean I'm better than him, either. In all honesty I could see myself as 5th, with carter and cornel above me- but everyone else on the top 10 I've been outplacing for 6 months to almost a year, and thats what prompted the jump because we hadn't updated in so long.

I support the pools idea for deciding top 10 rankings- the panel can look at tournament placings to decide who's top 10 material, and then those smashers that have earned it by placing consistently well can duke it out for #'d rank.

chaddd

Smash Lord
I have nothing against you being part of Georgia. Like i said, we had our differences, but if you can be such good friends with Marty, there's no way you're a bad guy. It's just the rankings that I'm sure you cared about much less than me, and it seems as though this situation would be pretty funny to a lot of people. It's just, lame anc circumstantial.

tournament placings guys!!!!

NOT SKILL!!!!!!

if that was the case, I'd be on the **** thing! LOL
No, this is where you all have seemed to lost sight of things.

It clearly says in the PR posted since the beginning of time that:

It is not meant to say that person 4 beats person 6 every time, yet to simply state that on a consistent basis, these players outrank others in tournaments or respected matches (i.e. money matches or rivalry matches).

MONEY MATCHES affect the Power Rankings as an example for any type of respected match? If my recent matches with XIF haven't been 'respected', then I don't understand how they would be. I mean, I at least thought you had to beat me to actually take the #1 spot, but apparently you can spend months of not playing someone, then lose 2-0 to them, only to be given a higher ranking anyway. I thought 'on a consistent basis' at least meant 'sometimes'. I just don't see where that came in.

Okay, so at Pound 3, XIF placed higher than me, but I beat him 2-1 in pools with Sheik.

The recent big Georgia tournament, I didn't get the chance to play XIF, who again placed higher than me. However I'd like to point out that we NEVER played, and I was taken out by Caveman and Cactuar. Like they suck or something?

Then you take the most recent Waba games tournament. This one takes the cake.

See, I'm sitting outside, smoking a cigarette, and FullMetal comes up and says:

'Yeah, so if you lose to XIF here we might have to give him your #1 spot.'

'-blank stare-...'Really?'

'Yeah.

'Okay.'

So the events that followed are I proceeded to 2-0 XIF in brackets, and then 4 and 3 stock (in Winner's Finals) our now #4 player. I also won Grand Finals with Fox and Captain Falcon exclusively.'

I believe those events merit me the #1 spot, despite much bigger tournaments.

I mean, how come we never took Evo into account when it was me and Wes at #1 and #2?

How come we didn't count G4S4 until he left for England?

I always thought that holding the #1 spot was a responsibility to anyone that actually gives a sh*t about that list to at the very least help them improve. I thought it took a lot more time than has passed to be booted out of what I spent so long earning just because I lost to some MLG pro's just like he XIF did. It's pretty asinine, if you ask me.

As for the rankings themselves, I still asked to be removed if I no longer remain at number 1. I don't believe I want a record in this state anymore if I just had a hole put in it by a few bogus and half baked calls from some people who can't even beat me, by the way. In fact, with Dogy on the panel, I think I've beaten every single member of the panel with their own characters. How can they tell me how the Power Rankings are done? Especially when they missed so many points so clearly made. Saying it's JUST tournament placings when the rules have clearly dictated the longest time that anything LIKE a money match counts as well. It's never been just placings, that's just what we've told people who *****ed about not being on tier 3 for not making top 32. It's just how it worked when it was me and Wes kicking all the ***.

That's really all I have to say about it.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
FM - You know you and I are cool dude, but I have a slight issue with....

but everyone else on the top 10 I've been outplacing for 6 months to almost a year, and thats what prompted the jump because we hadn't updated in so long.
My man Alpha has outplaced you several times ;). He beat you in pools at G4S4, beat you in loser's bracket at NOYS, and out placed you in one of the most recent SoD (I forget which number), and if I have it right, he out placed you at LTEC2.

I'm just lookin out for my guy lol. (no homo sleepy)

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
these power rankings have a distinct lack of me, pretty much the most tournament mongering guy around

mog112

Smash Ace
yeah i agree that statement is very wrong fullmetal. i can think of several tournaments where that is not true. south carolina tournement, softs house, others. and even then part of it was that just some of the top 10 did not attend. not trying to discredit you, just think about what your saying.

also chad do us all a favor and please just stop complaining.
and with doing well in last waba you are already starting to get on track to get it back #1 but based on previous tournaments we felt xif had done better.

1 more thing doubles does not count. idk who came up with that but no where were doubles counted and/or will be counted

chaddd

Smash Lord
yeah i agree that statement is very wrong fullmetal. i can think of several tournaments where that is not true. south carolina tournement, softs house, others. and even then part of it was that just some of the top 10 did not attend. not trying to discredit you, just think about what your saying.

also chad do us all a favor and please just stop complaining.
and with doing well in last waba you are already starting to get on track to get it back #1 but based on previous tournaments we felt xif had done better.

1 more thing doubles does not count. idk who came up with that but no where were doubles counted and/or will be counted
How about you shut the f*ck up until you can learn to play this game you sad sack of crap?

Yeah, f*ck you. It's personal now because you're a just a d*ck. You don't deserve to be anywhere near that panel. So how about you shut the f*ck up about me complaining?

You gave the state's #1 spot away to a Floridian based on the fact that he HASN'T BEATEN me. You're a f*cking disgrace to Georgia. Stop picking up a gamecube controller.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i don't usually get upset about numbers next to my name unless they are like 50's cause that means i have to study harder =(

chaddd

Smash Lord
Didn't think people would get so worked up over a # next to there name <_<
It's not about the power rankings. It's about some f*cked up politics and a panel composed of people like 112.

'oh you lost your spot good because I never liked you anyway so stop *****ing'

Yeah, so it's more about 112 being a f*cking c0ck.

mog112

Smash Ace
Lol Chad is funny. But still like I said please just stop complaining no one cares. And I'm probably less biased than anyone.

Anyhow what do people think about the round robin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom