• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Final Fantasy Rep for Brawl

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Nope. wrong. I'm pretty sure ppl remember Cloud and Squall's contributions moreso than Cecil or Crono. Hate to break it to ya, hey I'll make it up to you. How bout I take you out for ice cream? I'll pay??

woooops. *out*
I think your wrong about this. Many people, including myself, still feel that Chrono Trigger was one of the best RPG's ever. Not only that but the fact that niether Cloud nor Squall have an official game for themselves on the Nintendo makes them non-deserving and a small Cameo won't be enough to get them in. Don't get me wrong i think Cloud is the most badass m***af***er there is but his chances of getting in are like 1% and i think squalls are less

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well my question is to all you Final Fantasy Fans out there is which character would you like to see get a graphical face lift and make it into the brawl lineup?
None because Square-Enix is already into remaking every possible FF game they can remember... So we get to see their updated versions every three months, be it cause of a remake, or a leaked KH pic.

If there's an FF character who deserves to get in, that's the Chocobo Boco himself. (Not kidding).

Oh... just read that a lot of people here like Cloud and Squall...

I rather have 8-bit Pac Man. There's no way they're getting in through mere cameos of an underrated GBA game.

Sorry to break it to YOU, but I see Cloud/Squall's chances VERY unlikely.

And Chrono Trigger >>> FFVII and FFVIII combined. (plus, Akira Toriyama... nuff said)

Stado

Smash Apprentice
That "deserving" thing is just fan made crap, Nintendo could put Cloud if they wanted to in spite of all that.
Yes, but they wouldn't want to. That's the catch.

If there's an FF character who deserves to get in, that's the Chocobo Boco himself. (Not kidding).
lol, Boco would be interesting. I can't see it, but hey, it's not exactly impossible.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
None because Square-Enix is already into remaking every possible FF game they can remember... So we get to see their updated versions every three months, be it cause of a remake, or a leaked KH pic.

Fully rendered PS3 3D version of Final Fantasy 1!!!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, but they wouldn't want to. That's the catch.
Why would they not if it meant more people would buy Brawl...just to see an overhyped character such as Cloud?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Why would they not if it meant more people would buy Brawl...just to see an overhyped character such as Cloud?
What can possibly beat Snake and Sonic combined? I think this game can't get any more popular than it already is..

I don't recall many people buying, let alone HEARING about Ergheiz (a game that had Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Yuffie and Vincent as playable characters).

So don't over-estimate popularity. It can fail, specially with hardcore PS3 fans.

PSP owners have their own FF smash-bros-esque fighting game. They couldn't ask for more...

Stado

Smash Apprentice
OMG, I would die... then I'd be reborn, then I'd die again...
I would, too. I can still remember how exited I was when I first saw that video Square made some years ago to showcase the N64's capabilities. They rendered Terra, Locke, and Shadow (I believe...) in 3D, fighting a monster. Of course, the graphics were horrible compared to today, but they were pretty good back then.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I would, too. I can still remember how exited I was when I first saw that video Square made some years ago to showcase the N64's capabilities. They rendered Terra, Locke, and Shadow (I believe...) in 3D, fighting a monster. Of course, the graphics were horrible compared to today, but they were pretty good back then.
I remember that too, good times, good times. This year I stumbled on a website that has canned games and tech demos archived, and looking around, I found it. Made me sigh... it looked great for a N64 game.

platnum

Smash Lord
sakurai would be stupid to not put an FF character in brawl.

think about it...FF+Brawl=WIN

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
If, and I say this as a big if, Final Fantasy gets a representative in Brawl, it would probably be Squall or Cloud(I'm biased towards monster sized swords) for the relative ease of making a moveset. I would rather see Cloud though, the Buster sword has so much potential to be bad@s$ in Brawl it wouldnt even be funny ;p. Don't really know what their final smashes would be though, have not played FF7 or 8 in a long time.

Cless

Smash Champion
What can possibly beat Snake and Sonic combined? I think this game can't get any more popular than it already is..

I don't recall many people buying, let alone HEARING about Ergheiz (a game that had Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Yuffie and Vincent as playable characters).

So don't over-estimate popularity. It can fail, specially with hardcore PS3 fans.

PSP owners have their own FF smash-bros-esque fighting game. They couldn't ask for more...
Ehrgieiz sucks large amounts of various things. Please never mention that again for the sake of my soul.

Anyway, Brawl is first and foremost about Nintendo nostalgia. Cloud and Squall are giant slaps in the face to Nintendo. Square left them for Sony in those years. Why would Nintendo advertise PSP and PS3 games with those characters when they could advertise upcoming Squeenix DS games? Besides, who was high in Sakurai's poll? Oh yeah, Geno.

platnum

Smash Lord
Ehrgieiz sucks large amounts of various things. Please never mention that again for the sake of my soul.

Anyway, Brawl is first and foremost about Nintendo nostalgia. Cloud and Squall are giant slaps in the face to Nintendo. Square left them for Sony in those years. Why would Nintendo advertise PSP and PS3 games with those characters when they could advertise upcoming Squeenix DS games? Besides, who was high in Sakurai's poll? Oh yeah, Geno.
I agree.cloud and squall have no place in brawl.

but mog does.
who else could it be?

and FF WILL have a rep.i guarruntee it!

Zian

Smash Cadet
I say Firion, Luneth, Cecil, Bartz, or Terra. All being main characters from 2-6 have a shot. Even Marche from FF tactics advance would be a good choice being that was an exclusive. As for mascots go I think it would be kinda lame to have a character named "Black Mage." A good mascot would be either Mog or a Dragoon. I also think a summon like bahamut would make a great assist trophy.

Stado

Smash Apprentice
I don't know.

I just think that Black Mage (that's his name...) from the original and first Final Fantasy would make a stellar Final Fantasy (and Square in general) representative for Brawl. Using the conventions of his name against him doesn't hold much water when you consider the Ice Climbers, 'though I guess they do, in fact, have names of their own (Nana, Popo).

Marche isn't a long shot, given Advanced mild success, but I sure as Hell hope he's not in Brawl. That would kind'a... suck.

Cless

Smash Champion
A dragoon? You mean Kain right?

Firion has no shot as FFII is easily the least popular FF.

Also, Black Mage isn't his name. That's the name of the class. His name is whatever you name him. There aren't any characters in FF, just classes running around. 8-bit Theater made Black Mage into a character.

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, but it's not like a specific one or anything. You can have 4 Black Mages in FF if you really want to.

Cless

Smash Champion
But why? They could just use Cecil for the upcoming FFIV DS and be done with it, and not have Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Aero (though I think that's White Magic, but what would his up b be?), and Flare.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
But why? They could just use Cecil for the upcoming FFIV DS and be done with it, and not have Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Aero (though I think that's White Magic, but what would his up b be?), and Flare.
There is an upcoming FF4 DS?

Well, let's first eliminate:

Anyone from FFVII-FFXI.

Anyone who's not the main character in FFs I-VI.

Generic enemies.

Final bosses (a hero will get in before a boss).

Anyone who hasn't appeared in a new game in the past eight years.

So that leaves:

Fighter
Black Mage
White Mage
Chocobo
Moogle

The first three are kind of "symbols" of FF, while the last two are the mascots.

Chocobo would make a good Assist Trophy, and Fighter wouldn't bring anything new to the table. White Mage wouldn't have a damaging-enough moveset. So, it's between Black Mage and Moogle.

And I think people identify with Moogle more so than Black Mage.

However, I think that if anyone gets in, it's not an FF character. Square's already focusing on their own FF fighting game. If anyone gets in, it's from a different franchise, such as Dragon Quest, Chrono, or Mana. If any SE reps get in at all.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Basically, what people are saying is that Final Fantasy has no CHARACTERS to represent the series at all...

Arguably, Yoshi is not a character, but a culmination of every single Yoshi in the history of Mario, same as how Moogle is a culmination of every single Mog in the history of Final Fantasy.

Cless

Smash Champion
There is an upcoming FF4 DS?
Yes. Go look it up yourself. I don't feel like looking for links and the such.

Well, let's first eliminate:

Anyone from FFVII-FFXI.

Anyone who's not the main character in FFs I-VI.

Generic enemies.

Final bosses (a hero will get in before a boss).

Anyone who hasn't appeared in a new game in the past eight years.

So that leaves:

Fighter
Black Mage
White Mage
Chocobo
Moogle

The first three are kind of "symbols" of FF, while the last two are the mascots.

Chocobo would make a good Assist Trophy, and Fighter wouldn't bring anything new to the table. White Mage wouldn't have a damaging-enough moveset. So, it's between Black Mage and Moogle.

And I think people identify with Moogle more so than Black Mage.

However, I think that if anyone gets in, it's not an FF character. Square's already focusing on their own FF fighting game. If anyone gets in, it's from a different franchise, such as Dragon Quest, Chrono, or Mana. If any SE reps get in at all.
You're forgetting Cecil and Terra/Celes (no, FFVI main character arguments here). Bartz and Luneth are meh. You can't make movesets for them. They can be any job, and Firion sucks at life.

Arguably, Yoshi is not a character, but a culmination of every single Yoshi in the history of Mario, same as how Moogle is a culmination of every single Mog in the history of Final Fantasy.
Firstly, there is only one Mog, who is a Moogle. Secondly, if they were to include a Moogle, they would most likely base it somewhat off of Mog since he is the only Moogle to actively fight in any main party.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They didn't do that with the other RPG's in Smash, why would they with Final Fantasy...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't forget Cecil or Terra. They are not ideal reps for FF - anyone who's only been in one FF game ever wouldn't be.
Again, tell that to the other characters from other RPG's...

I.E. Earthbound/ Mother series and Fire Emblem

Fun fact: At no point has Sakurai ever stated that you have to be a unique character to be playable. Your logic is "they never did it before, so they will never do it ever".

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Fun fact: At no point has Sakurai ever stated that you have to be a unique character to be playable. Your logic is "they never did it before, so they will never do it ever".
My logic is, it's a stupid idea so they shouldn't do it

So you're logic is "omg it's stupid".

That's very nice. If you can't provide real logic, don't bother speaking.

Give me literally one GOOD reason why a character in Brawl has to be a unique character in order to be playable. There have been many Yoshis, many Pikachus, many Jigglypuffs, many Pichus, many Squirtles, many Ivysaurs, and many Charizards. Jigglypuff, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard do not represent unique versions of the species, but for some reason that not even the world's top scientists can explain, Moogle cannot be in.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So you're logic is "omg it's stupid".

That's very nice. If you can't provide real logic, don't bother speaking.

Give me literally one GOOD reason why a character in Brawl has to be a unique character in order to be playable. There have been many Yoshis, many Pikachus, many Jigglypuffs, many Pichus, many Squirtles, many Ivysaurs, and many Charizards. Jigglypuff, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard do not represent unique versions of the species, but for some reason that not even the world's top scientists can explain, Moogle cannot be in.
Why more logic is there than, they didn't do it with Earthbound or Fire Emblem, why would they do it to Final Fantasy...

Pokemon is different because there are 500 playable characters...

If you can't get that...don't bother speaking yourself...

and yes, it's a stupid idea

They didn't do Pokémon Trainer with SSB or Melee, so logically, he doesn't actually exist.

Please, can you stop? Your posts are horrible, and devoid of anything that could ever resemble intelligent reasoning.

A lack of precedence to include a generic mascot-type character does not become "precedence to never have a generic mascot-type character".

If lack of precedence to include something worked like that, then I could have argued that no Fire Emblem representative would have been included in Melee for the reason that they did not include any in SSB, meaning that Strategy RPG reps were out of the question.

The idea that because another series did not do it, no series will do it. That logic has never worked in real life, much less in fiction.

Top Bottom