• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Final Fantasy Rep for Brawl

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
You don't have to have played FFIV to be a fan of FF.

And you aren't viewing this very objectively; you know who Cecil is, so you believe Cecil to be very well-known.
But you'd at least KNOW of it. I admit I haven't played EVERY single FF, but I know a bit of each game, including characters...

How would you not know who Cecil is? FFIV was on the GBA, and it's about to be on the DS. AND, even if they weren't, you shouldn't have an excuse, that game is a classic.

Being a classic does not make him an adequate SE rep.

Everyone knows who Snake is. He got a significant remake for the GameCube, has had more than a dozen games in its history, and started on the NES.

Sonic, he was Mario's rival, so all Nintendo fans know him.

But Cecil? Even if you grew up with the SNES, FFIV was a lot less noticed than FFVI in the states.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Being a classic does not make him an adequate SE rep.

Everyone knows who Snake is. He got a significant remake for the GameCube, has had more than a dozen games in its history, and started on the NES.

Sonic, he was Mario's rival, so all Nintendo fans know him.

But Cecil? Even if you grew up with the SNES, FFIV was a lot less noticed than FFVI in the states.
Well... I *would* rather have Terra than Cecil... anyway...

Not everyone knew who Snake was, and, he didn't start on the NES. He started on the MSX2.

And Cecil could very well advertise his DS remake like a certain red haired swordsman did...

Devastlian

Smash Lord
You don't have to have played FFIV to be a fan of FF. And you aren't viewing this very objectively; you know who Cecil is, so you believe Cecil to be very well-known.
And you think objective thought is possible? We really don't know the process Sakurai is using or the one SE would use or the payment method or whatever. This could all hinge on the bias of a bunch of middle-aged Japanese business men. Sakurai could meet with them and say, "OMG I loved playing FFIV during my time off and I received a bunch of requests for Cecil's inclusion" or someone could say Terra would be a good candidate for her worldwide old-school popularity or whatever...

Cless

Smash Champion
Because Cecil is a Dragoon and everything.

In all seriousness, a moveset for anyone pre-VII would be a pain to make despite VI characters having Limit Breaks, and it is completely ridiculous to think that anyone VII and later is going to make it.

So, Geno and Crono for Brawl.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Yeah Geno and Crono should be the only ones, it's funny when people think Cloud has a chance.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Because Cecil is a Dragoon and everything.

In all seriousness, a moveset for anyone pre-VII would be a pain to make despite VI characters having Limit Breaks, and it is completely ridiculous to think that anyone VII and later is going to make it.

So, Geno and Crono for Brawl.
Wasn't Cecil a Paladin and Kain the Dragoon?

And you must be kidding me, it's seriously not that hard to make a moveset for almost anyone.

Cless

Smash Champion
There's a distinct lack of moves for people below VII. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would take a lot of effort to ensure that the made-up moves fit the character.

Also, sarcasm fails over the internet. Cecil's up b shouldn't be Jump because he isn't a Dragoon. Though his FS would Red Wing Barrage if he's a Dark Knight. I dunno about Paladin version though.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
There's a distinct lack of moves for people below VII. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would take a lot of effort to ensure that the made-up moves fit the character.
Well, they've already done it for 30+ characters already so I doubt they'd have trouble with one more.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Wasn't Cecil a Paladin and Kain the Dragoon?

And you must be kidding me, it's seriously not that hard to make a moveset for almost anyone.
Cecil was a Dark Knight THEN a Paladin, sheesh.

Also if Cecil was playable i could see his Dark Knight form being playable but not his Paladin form.

Mogrika

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about a Final Fantasy character, I think they would go with a series with just one main character like Kingdom Hearts or Chrono Trigger.

Mogrika

Smash Apprentice
If only Chrono Cross had been on a Nintendo system, I'd love to see Harle in Brawl in any way.

wagnerelli

Smash Apprentice
I would accept an FF rep if:
-The Rep was Black Mage. This would be a nice little addition to the roster, and he would probably best represent the whole series.
-They had some awesome music to fight to on their stages. Dancing Mad: Third Movement, Battle Theme, Boss Fight Theme(maybe Those Who Fight Further, I mean, MGS4 music got in) , Clash on the Big Bridge, Decisive Battle.

That would get me totally aboard an FF rep.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Final Fantasy does have music for if you win a match on smash as well...and if their was a FF rep Airship would be a very likely course.

vesperview

Smash Hero
What about Vaan? Too soon to take his DS game into consideration?
Vaan sucks, I've always considered Ashe as the main character of FFXII, Vaan really has no reason other than "he wants to be a sky pirate and take risks" to be involved with the plot.

-The Rep was Black Mage. This would be a nice little addition to the roster, and he would probably best represent the whole series.
That you think Black Mage represents the whole Final Fantasy series better than anyone makes me question if you've actually played a Final Fantasy game to begin with.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Just saying... Vaan just got a game on DS. But I do think it's too soon to support him, but I'd rather have him than Cloud, either way.

BUT, I'd still want Terra in before anyone else from FF.
eh its never to soon promote anyone, remember this is Sakurai were talking about, the guy who added g&w simply because he felt like it, Vaan is actually possible due to his recent success, however if he gets in, i think i would kick 13 kittens.

P.S. I agree for Terra for Square Enix/Final Fantasy she was the ****

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
If there was a rep for FF it would be Mog or a nameless Moogle, Chocobo, or Tonberry but i don't think we will see any of them.

Top Bottom