• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Final Fantasy Rep for Brawl

Zian

Smash Cadet
I searched Final Fantasy and was surprised to see nothing come up. FF needs to have one character or at least an assist trophy in SSBB. I know the rules are they have to have made an appearance on a Nintendo console so that limits the the selection (No Cloud, Squall). We still have a great number of games to choose from though: FF1-FF6, FF Tactics Advance, FF Crystal Chronicles.

*Minor FFIV Spoiler*
My pick would have to be Shadow from FF6. Cause lets face it, he was the coolest SOB in the series till that point. Plus SSBB needs a crazy ninja character.

Well my question is to all you Final Fantasy Fans out there is which character would you like to see get a graphical face lift and make it into the brawl lineup?

Airmicro

Smash Cadet
Cloud is probably the most popuplar FF rep.

Mog is a typical character from the FF series, but some characters, like the black mage (who already featured in a nintendo sport game with mario) as higher chance IMO.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Cloud is probably the most popuplar FF rep.

Mog is a typical character from the FF series, but some characters, like the black mage (who already featured in a nintendo sport game with mario) as higher chance IMO.
No. The Moogles are typical characters from the FF series. Mog is a party member from FF6.

EDIT:
so does mog.

but thats a good idea.
True, but when I think of FFVI, Mog is not the first thing to spring to my mind, sure, he was cool... but still, being cool is just not enough. *Glares at Cloud*

SolidCrispy

Smash Apprentice
Cloud is the best FF series rep by popularity alone, and also has more in it for Square than putting in Terra/Crono/Mog, since he's actually been in some new media in the last decade.

If it's a Nintendo FF rep though, I hope it's Terra. Mog or Black Mage would be so...boring.

platnum

Smash Lord
what im saying is...the popularity of moogles can help mog get in.
so he has an AMAZING chance!

why wouldnt sakurai want a moogle in brawl?

they are a perfect fit for brawl!

Zian

Smash Cadet
Cloud has appeared on the Game Boy Advanced
On which game?!

Anyways, I didn't even think about mog he'd be great.

Terra would have a great final smash and could transform into her esper self for the rest of the match the same way samus changes to zero suit. I just can't see any specials except for using magic. What would her moves be?

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
On which game?!

Terra would have a great final smash and could transform into her esper self for the rest of the match the same way samus changes to zero suit. I just can't see any specials except for using magic. What would her moves be?
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Marketing wise, Cloud would be the best BY FAR. But since i have like what? 8 years hearin about cloud... im totally bored of him. Toooverhyped for my tastes.

The ony 3 choices uçi would consider:

-Mog: He is so pikachu like, and fits in.

-Chocobo: Weird character but he has a cartoonish style so he fits.

-Black mage: He is da bomb. The magical ***** needs to be in Brawl. By far my favorite.

There are a lot of cooler characters in FFs-.. but i dont see them making it.

SolidCrispy

Smash Apprentice
On which game?!

I like that Final Smash idea. I imagine she'd use Fire and sword-based specials.

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
Marketing wise, Cloud would be the best BY FAR. But since i have like what? 8 years hearin about cloud... im totally bored of him. Toooverhyped for my tastes.

-Black mage: He is da bomb. The magical ***** needs to be in Brawl. By far my favorite.

If this is what we are getting, I'd rather have no Final Fantasy character in Brawl

Zian

Smash Cadet
Thats kinda a stretch, but I'll take Cloud in any way, shape, or form I can get. And that technically fits the criteria so I think I change my vote to Cloud. Isn't he differently dressed and gloomier than normal in kingdom hearts?

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Cloud is the best FF series rep by popularity alone, and also has more in it for Square than putting in Terra/Crono/Mog, since he's actually been in some new media in the last decade.

If it's a Nintendo FF rep though, I hope it's Terra. Mog or Black Mage would be so...boring.
FF6 has appeared twice in a Nintendo console, one of which released this year. Cloud has a lousy cameo in a Kingdom Hearts spin off.

Popularity alone is not a factor. And putting Terra in can help a bit on with FFVI being released so late into the GBA's lifespan, it would increase attention, and that's not bad considering the DS can play GBA games.

Not to mention there's also the possibility VI will be remade into the DS eventually. But let's let them finish with IV first :)

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Cloud's advantage is that he is probably the most popular Final Fantasy character, and that he is a huge icon to Square Enix, just look at all those Final Fantasy VII spin offs. But I do expect Black Mage to represent Square Enix over him.

smashbot226

Smash Master

1. ZOMG H3'D JUSTTT B3 A PIKACHUZZZ CLONE, ROFL!!!

No, just no.

2. :/

3. I agree with this one. Probably the most popular FF char, along with Cloud and Sephiroth, during the 90's. I'd think he'd be a good candidate, as Cloud would just be another sword fighter...

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
If you want the game to sell some thousands more... include cloud.

If you want a chacracter which represents more the franchise... go for the other mascots.

As simple as that.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
I must admit, the idea of having Terra in Brawl would be an awesome proposition. She does use swords, but is also a skilled magic user, so I can see all sorts of magical sword smashes.

B: Fire - Terra stands still for a moment, and unleashes a wave of fire along the ground. The move has a minimum charge time, but holding B charges it further, and increases the range of the move (but not the damage). The fire deals 5% and drags an enemy along - if fully charged, it can deal up to 4x5%.

Side B: Drain - This attack has about a 1 second lag. When used, it creates a circle around Terra (about the size of Master Hand) - if any enemies are within the circle, they take 5% damage, and Terra is healed by 2% x number of enemies in the circle. Not so useful in multiplayer, but potentially great in Subspace when surrounded by enemies.

Down B: Dispel - Terra charges, and becomes immobile for 3 seconds. She gains super armor in this state, and any direct attacks will stun the attacker for a few seconds (but no damage). Projectiles deal half damage with no knockback, and items like Freezies and the Lip's Stick don't freeze/drain damage.

Up B: Warp - Basically the same as Zelda's Farore's Wind, but with a bit more charge time and less range. When Terra comes out of the warp, she swings her sword (does 10% damage), damaging any potential edgeguarders.

Final Smash: Morph - Terra morphs into her Esper form, a purple-white being engulfed in flames. Her sword is replaced by an energy weapon which deals 1% more damage for every 5% damage the attack originally dealt (ie. if her Fsmash dealt 23% while normal, it would deal 28% when morphed), and her magic can be used without having to charge first. She doesn't have a limited timeframe to use this - rather, once she has dealt over 125% damage, she transforms back into her normal form.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
1. ZOMG H3'D JUSTTT B3 A PIKACHUZZZ CLONE, ROFL!!!

3. I agree with this one. Probably the most popular FF char, along with Cloud and Sephiroth, during the 90's. I'd think he'd be a good candidate, as Cloud would just be another sword fighter...
Yeap.
Another swordman who would not add any new flavour to the game.
I also see a major drawback in cloud´s style to fit in Brawl,,,,, the size of his sword. We must accept that one of cloud´s main characteristics are his inhuman sized swords. His range would be obsenely over powered... like 3 times marth or something like that. And cloud with a normal sword would be simply... not cloud,
Also he iis VERY fast taking in consideration the size of his blade...and making hiom slower... well we have Ike for that.
Also he is emo and boring as hell :p

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I must admit, the idea of having Terra in Brawl would be an awesome proposition. She does use swords, but is also a skilled magic user, so I can see all sorts of magical sword smashes.

B: Fire - Terra stands still for a moment, and unleashes a wave of fire along the ground. The move has a minimum charge time, but holding B charges it further, and increases the range of the move (but not the damage). The fire deals 5% and drags an enemy along - if fully charged, it can deal up to 4x5%.

Side B: Drain - This attack has about a 1 second lag. When used, it creates a circle around Terra (about the size of Master Hand) - if any enemies are within the circle, they take 5% damage, and Terra is healed by 2% x number of enemies in the circle. Not so useful in multiplayer, but potentially great in Subspace when surrounded by enemies.

Down B: Dispel - Terra charges, and becomes immobile for 3 seconds. She gains super armor in this state, and any direct attacks will stun the attacker for a few seconds (but no damage). Projectiles deal half damage with no knockback, and items like Freezies and the Lip's Stick don't freeze/drain damage.

Up B: Warp - Basically the same as Zelda's Farore's Wind, but with a bit more charge time and less range. When Terra comes out of the warp, she swings her sword (does 10% damage), damaging any potential edgeguarders.

Final Smash: Morph - Terra morphs into her Esper form, a purple-white being engulfed in flames. Her sword is replaced by an energy weapon which deals 1% more damage for every 5% damage the attack originally dealt (ie. if her Fsmash dealt 23% while normal, it would deal 28% when morphed), and her magic can be used without having to charge first. She doesn't have a limited timeframe to use this - rather, once she has dealt over 125% damage, she transforms back into her normal form.

On thing i dont like form the final fantasy 6 onwards is that anyone could do anything...so just a few characters had trademark moves . In the older titles...we saw characters like Kain and cecil... who had their own unique moves.

Te rra is cool anyways... it would be cool to have terra wielding the atma weapon.... the most kick *** sword ever in any video game :p

who8therice

Smash Cadet
Don't know who terra is, and have never played FF, but judging from WarxePB's special moves she sounds like a character i would have fun playing with

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
On thing i dont like form the final fantasy 6 onwards is that anyone could do anything...so just a few characters had trademark moves . In the older titles...we saw characters like Kain and cecil... who had their own unique moves.

Te rra is cool anyways... it would be cool to have terra wielding the atma weapon.... the most kick *** sword ever in any video game :p
My Squall always has Darkside attack or whatever it is...though that may not be exactly his trademark I guess...

Squall + Darkside Attack = x4 damage (Or something)

Get's 9999 VERY close to the beggining

WarioII

Smash Apprentice
im for the black mage he is well known and has already been featured with mario in a game

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Well, the spells used in my thought-up moveset there are all that she learns naturally. In FF6, Terra and Celes do learn some magic by leveling up, though spells like Pearl and Ultima would have been learned via Espers long before they were learned naturally.

But I do see your point. Actually, the only FF games where characters had fixed classes were 4 and 9 - 1, 3 and 5 had job systems, 2 had a weird pseudo-leveling up where you could make any character good at anything, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 12 had Espers, Materia, GFs, Spheres and that license board thing, respectively.

On topic, Cecil would be awesome as a PC as well, and FF4 is just as popular as FF6 in terms of the SNES FFs. I imagine he would have similar attacks to Terra, though he would have different specials considering Terra's more of a magic user while Cecil is more of a swordsman.

SolidCrispy

Smash Apprentice
FF6 has appeared twice in a Nintendo console, one of which released this year. Cloud has a lousy cameo in a Kingdom Hearts spin off.

Popularity alone is not a factor. And putting Terra in can help a bit on with FFVI being released so late into the GBA's lifespan, it would increase attention, and that's not bad considering the DS can play GBA games.

Not to mention there's also the possibility VI will be remade into the DS eventually. But let's let them finish with IV first :)
I guess I should have been more specific. I meant actual new media, not just ports.

Also, I really hope they remake VI on the DS. :)

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Yeap..and since we have alreadu some swordmen.... i would easily pick Kain over him... Kain uses lances and he is a Dragoon so hecan jumo very high and would practically glide also.

Anyways both are very old characters so i dont think they would made it.

I think sincerely the black mage has what is needed to make it. As i said eralier..Clod would be a kick *** adition money wise. But he is also the epitome of the Square-Nintendo breaking up episode.... Cloud is the representation of squeare´s triumph with sony and one of Nintendo´s chapters to be forgotten.

Black mage, as you said, is possibly the most player used in cameos and in nintendo representations....also he is retro as he was one of the 4 protagonist in the first FF game from nintendo. He is good memories overall :)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
mog mog mog mog mog mog mog
mog mog

KUUUUPPPOOOO!!!

i think im cool cause i use the worlds "I WIN", "FAIL", and "KUPO"!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Guess who I am?

To make this not spam, I personally would prefer Terra Branford from Final Fantasy VI. I have always liked her.

Top Bottom