• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I'm trying to get a decent feel in Melee so I'm wondering who is the most easiest character to use in Melee? Thanks in advance.
well, mario is the default guy-he has the most average stats, and other character stats are based around his. from that point, you need to decide for what you want-a high jumper,a strong hitter, a heavy character, a light character, a good grabber- and work your way to a character that fits your style

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
If you want to become competitive, you have to start with competitive characters to get used to competitive melee. Meaning, start with experimenting with the top characters; I recommend Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, Captain Falcon, and Peach.

Once you get a decent feel for how the game works, you can try the other characters if you want to become a low tier hero.

For casual play, lordvaati's recommendation is probably best.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
My suggestion is to do your research on your characters. Then play some of them out, feel which is more fun for you and which you feel you can succeed with.

For example, Peach is a high tier character, but she has goofy float cancel mechanics. Some people go WOW LOOOK AT XIF THAT LOOKS COOL. Then start to do it and realize it's awkward and don't really want to anymore. So do you research.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
well, mario is the default guy-he has the most average stats, and other character stats are based around his. from that point, you need to decide for what you want-a high jumper,a strong hitter, a heavy character, a light character, a good grabber- and work your way to a character that fits your style
I'd stay away from Mario if you're starting. I mean, he's fun to play but even with his cape he doesn't have many killing opportunities. Also, his recovery sucks donkey nuts.

doublejoint

Smash Cadet
quick question that's been bothering me

when you l-cancel is the window based on the time (# of frames) until the ground is hit or is it based on an actual area so far up from the ground that the character needs to be in?

i would search for this but, i have no f****** clue what i'd input

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I dunno, I applied for transfer there, along with CSULA and CSU Fullerton.

So we'll see where I get in.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
ah, well good luck wherever you end up ^.^ as long as you're not at a place you hate, ya know?
i can empathize with college crapiness, i almost xfered from my college as well.

and doublejoint, you're from vernon? are you as new of a player as your join date? i'm sad i didn't get to play you before i came home :(

doublejoint

Smash Cadet
yeah vernon conneticut

i've been training ever since i realized brawl wasn't going to kill melee, but not ready JUST yet

i really hope to spend the summer climbing rankings

anyway i've answered my own question; the window is 7 frames apparently, but aerial hitlag messes it up sometimes depending on how the frames overlap; according to magus420

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5169368#post5169368

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
i've been training ever since i realized brawl wasn't going to kill melee, but not ready JUST yet

i really hope to spend the summer climbing rankings
Do work. :)

Question about everyone's favorite character;
Sheik. Her Up-B ledgestall. What exactly would be the inputs for it?

Correct me, cause I'm probably wrong:
Down/away to ledgedrop... Up + B... hold up during the movement... and then smash down to vanish downwards and regrab the ledge...?

Edit: 600th post<3

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
yep, that's how you do it, f8. also remember to do it as fast as possible to get the most out of your ledge invincibility. otherwise people can just smash you while you fail at advanced tactics. for that reason i like to press down from the ledge also. that way when you do the shino ledge stall, you've fallen more so that you barely come up over the edge instead of feet above it. it's a better hitbox, harder for them to try to grab the edge and mess you up (if you play any really good players they'll do that), and in case you mess up, makes you less likely to be hit for any lost invincibility frames.

also don't forget to let go of down when you see her poof. otherwise you'll go straight past the ledge and die :(

DrewB008

Smash Lord
i actually literally just quoted you, but dont worry about it, im looking on behalf of someone else and i guessed 4

now that im thinking about it though, does anybody know if you need to take this into account to powershield? are you supposed to hit L the frame the projectile hits you, or 4-7 frames early so it hits the shield?

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure it's 4 because that's how long it takes to roll (for most characters?)

does anyone know how many frames THIS is?

like, what is your window of opportunity?
Generally it's half a second, so I'm just gonna say 30 frames before your attack hits the ground.

Although that does sound a bit high. Maybe 20 like teching. Why does it matter? I mean, after playing a bit it becomes muscle memory and it should be like np.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I think it's based on the character in that case, since each one has a different grab range.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Is it generally better to use CC grab or JC grab?
Do you mean Boost grabbing and JC grabbing? Because CC and JC are pretty much the same thing...

JC = pressing jump before you grab to make your character do a standing grab. This is usually faster and gives you more range (unless you're a character like Samus).

CC = Crouch cancelling an attack and then grabbing your opponent (you can cancel the crouching animation with a JC grab, for instance).

Boost grabbing = Doing a dash attack but cancelling it with a grab. In some cases like Mario and Sheik it gives a slight range boost than the JC grab (I think).

Generally you should be using JC grabs for EVERYTHING. And CC grabs only once in a while when you're playing defensively.

Eaode

Smash Champion
i think he means run up to opponent, cancel dash, grab, as opposed to run up to opponent, JC grab.

In this case I'd say obviously JC grab, it'd be faster and a lot less unwieldy. Although if you're someone like puff you ca dodge stuff with crouch i guess lol (but then you'd want to rest, not grab xD)

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Isn't that within Marth's dash distance though, so if he really wanted to he could Pivot grab.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
nvm. he started the running animation. I just didn't see it because im ********

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
is there a way to do an aerial while standing on a platform? I've noticed it a few times and I don't really know how it happens. I think I just dropped down through the platform, did the aerial really fast and then just ended up standing on the platform and it was kind of cool. Could anyone confirm?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
is there a way to do an aerial while standing on a platform? I've noticed it a few times and I don't really know how it happens. I think I just dropped down through the platform, did the aerial really fast and then just ended up standing on the platform and it was kind of cool. Could anyone confirm?
Yes this happens with a lot of characters if you and your opponent are on a platform and you try to fall through aerial and hit them.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
Yes this happens with a lot of characters if you and your opponent are on a platform and you try to fall through aerial and hit them.
Can you l-cancel while doing this?

Another question: Ledge-canceling is when you do an aerial and land on the very edge of a platform and you slide off, which cancels the landing lag faster than usual, right?

If so, do people try to intentionally ledge-cancel in matches, or is it just some flashy thing to do between lives? I geuss just is it worth learning?

Another question: Do characters have a higher degree of DI at lower percents, or when they don't receive a lot of knockback, or is it just my imagination? I swear the angle that Fox can move away from Falco after getting shined is much more than the angle, lets say, Marth can move away from Falco after getting shined. Is this because Fox doesn't have the sasme knockback as Marth or is it just a property of the move.

Top Bottom