• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Bones0

Smash Legend
Is there a list of advanced techniques that apply to every character? Just stuff like wavedashing, crouch canceling, L-canceling - what else is there in terms of advanced techniques? I've got those down pretty well, but want to learn more!
YouTube for the "Advanced How To Play" videos on Wak's channel. I also think there's a sticky thread with a list of terms, so you can check that (though it will have some terms that may not quite fit your description).

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
Ok, hear me out.
I've been playing smash for practically my whole life, and i don't which one is best for me to devote my focus to.
I have been in competitive brawl for the past year and i feel my potential isnt being used to the fullest, due to the fact that i am very technical and like to use as many advanced techniques as i can find.
What bothers me is that i feel a great nostalgia towards melee, and ihave been wanting to switch for quite some time, but my gret technical skill and success with a certain charcter in tournament play in brawl makes it feel if i quit, then it will be a waste of the time i spent learning everything.

I just want to know; i may have skill in brawl, but i love melee too and both communities are equally nice to be around despite the constant war of fanbase. I need to commit completely to one end of the smash section not both.

This leaves me with my final question: if i switch from brawl to melee, provided i ditch everything i've learned about the game, is it worth it?

My main is: captain falcon.

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
Play the game that brings you the most joy/fun.
Considering they both give me an equal amount of joy, i have to base the games around 4 things:

Multiplayer: both games support an advanced multiplayer with their ups and downs, most notably the skill level is more apparent in melee due to unbalancing of brawl. And the top 7 characters being usd most of the time in melee makes brawl look more fun. (i can't decide)

Competitiveness: Both games are equally competitive, being melee has more tehcnical skill and concentration while brawl has more adaptability and abusing stages and camping prowess of certain characters. Furthermore, i'd rather fight a fox or falco than a IC or a MK where skill isnt a question anymore. (melee wins this one)

Influence: Overall what drives me to play these games is to get some recognition and make a name for myself while having fun. When i finally think about it, i feel that i'm torn between whether to play a game that is more forgiving; brawl, or a game that requires a huge learning curve to get over the hurdle; melee.

Characters: i neve was able to play any other character in brawl other than captain, and when i play melee, i feel like i dont get my same worth because i can play more than one character in that game. If i quit brawl for melee, i willbe leaving behind a skill that nobody else can use with falcon that i have developed over a long year of hardship. If i go to melee, then i will have a whole new world to choose from and then i will probably gain new strength.

I have an erge to play both and i'm tied between them, i want to go to melee but brawl keeps calling me back. Can someone explain this to me?

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
What's wrong with playing both if (for whatever weird reason) you do enjoy bawrl as well?
The problem is, i'm being denied perfection with one game.

If i choose one over the other i can progress further, and reach my full potential. However, i cannot choose on my own, so i need someone else to provide me some wisdom.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
The problem is, i'm being denied perfection with one game.

If i choose one over the other i can progress further, and reach my full potential. However, i cannot choose on my own, so i need someone else to provide me some wisdom.
Wasn't M2k the top brawl player for some time while still being extremely (top5) good in Melee as well?

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't M2k the top brawl player for some time while still being extremely (top5) good in Melee as well?
I'm not a type of person that can go back and forth between games with little trouble.
Even m2k had trouble going back and forth during apex 2013, and the reason he placed well in both is just the fact that he is really freakin good.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
So my question is...howcome some characters like link/luigi/yoshi seem to suffer a comparatively small amount of hitstun? Like they can nair you when you try to get a grab combo or jab them.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
just because of the combination of weight/fall speed and not to mention fast nairs.

being floaty means that at low% you'll go a perfect combo distance on everyone else but it's misleading because they are probably at a much lower % and can actually act faster

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Alright People! I need to ask a question.

If you don't know me, i'm pokemongeof, a (now 13!!! WOOT BDAY was Jan 28!) year old smasher. I've been playing Smash since i was young.

Now hear me out. I smash in melee, cause that was the game i grew up with. But recently i found this community, improved my skill 10 fold, and went to my first tourneys! Although i got 7th in doubles with my friend and singles (there were only 7 teams! also i got 7th in singles cause of a bye), i was happy i got into the community.

After going to my first tourneys, i realize that the highest tier characters (MARTH, Shiek, Sometimes Peach, and Fox) are characters i hate facing since i play Luigi. I feel like i can't keep up with these characters. Maybe i should use Falco or Captain Falcon when facing certain characters, ESPECIALLY MARTH.. UGH I HATE FACING HIM!!! I'm not sure.

Is there any advice a pro can pass down to a rookie?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Abate, Vist, EddyMexico, Vudujin... just to throw out a few names :)

edit: also, if you're playing a low tier, you usually have the benefit of your opponent being less familiar with the matchup, so you can try whether some gimmicky things work on them (:

Bones0

Smash Legend
For the record, I don't think you disliking playing good players has anything to do with the fact that you play Luigi. If anything, using a fastfaller will make learning the game way more frustrating. Melee is really great because there is no character that has no annoying/troublesome matchups. If you switch to Falcon because you hate Luigi vs. Marth, you'll just end up hating Falcon vs. Sheik or the "counter" to whatever character you choose. If you insist on using secondaries, that's fine, work on both characters. I fairly recently began questioning my usage of Fox and Marth vs. Peach because I didn't like Falco vs. Peach. Luckily for me, I had still practiced Falco vs. Peach, and now that I feel my Fox/Marth vs. Peach going nowhere, I can focus on my Falco without feeling like I'm playing catch up. If I had just abandoned Falco and always gone Fox or Marth vs. Peach, I would have dug myself in quite a hole, both because I would be horrible at what I believe to be my main's worst matchup, and I would also be open to getting counterpicked any time I play a Peach main or someone with a Peach secondary.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Thanks for the fast advice!

Watch Luigi videos for inspiration. There are plenty of amazing Luigi mains.
I watch many Luigi vids, there so awesome!

Abate, Vist, EddyMexico, Vudujin... just to throw out a few names :)

edit: also, if you're playing a low tier, you usually have the benefit of your opponent being less familiar with the matchup, so you can try whether some gimmicky things work on them (:
FYI i played Vudu at Apex! He was awesome! Plus, i think its a good point to be the unexpected.

Play a character that you enjoy playing.
Professionally, i enjoy playing Luigi, Falcon, and Falco
For the record, I don't think you disliking playing good players has anything to do with the fact that you play Luigi. If anything, using a fastfaller will make learning the game way more frustrating. Melee is really great because there is no character that has no annoying/troublesome matchups. If you switch to Falcon because you hate Luigi vs. Marth, you'll just end up hating Falcon vs. Sheik or the "counter" to whatever character you choose. If you insist on using secondaries, that's fine, work on both characters. I fairly recently began questioning my usage of Fox and Marth vs. Peach because I didn't like Falco vs. Peach. Luckily for me, I had still practiced Falco vs. Peach, and now that I feel my Fox/Marth vs. Peach going nowhere, I can focus on my Falco without feeling like I'm playing catch up. If I had just abandoned Falco and always gone Fox or Marth vs. Peach, I would have dug myself in quite a hole, both because I would be horrible at what I believe to be my main's worst matchup, and I would also be open to getting counterpicked any time I play a Peach main or someone with a Peach secondary.
thanks for the giant amount of advice! though, i meant i disliked facing those characters, not the players. Think i just have to work on it!

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Good evening, everyone.

Why does it seem so hard to find results of (big) tournaments? I just tried to find OC3 results, and I couldn't. Also, if I search 'Zero Challenge', nothing shows up. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

By the way, is there anyway I can gey my hands on that OC2 DVD?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Always use google or another search machine of your choice if you're looking for something, never the one on the forum, because they tend to be horrible. (If your search term is giving you to many unrelated results you can add "site:smashboards.com" or whatever to your searchterm(s)).

In case of OC3 this appears to be the official results thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=110400
Although it won't really help, because the link to the TIO bracket seems to be dead :(

gravy

Smash Ace
Is it possible to consistently be able to PC edgehog with Falcon? I'm confused on the mechanics of it, and I can't seem to find a way to do it consistently at all. Also, I'm still a little confused about why people can sometimes roll or even get up out of jab resets. Is there ever a time when they're going to be forced to stand from a jab reset no matter what?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm sure it's possible, but moonwalking would probably be easier (and faster if you're far away).

Jab resets are based on the strength of the jab, the percentage of the opponent, and the characters weight and gravity (they are different). I thought Magus had a huge thread that explains it thoroughly, but I can't find it.

Here's a few posts from him about it though:
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3
Post 4

Top Bottom