• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Sangoku

Smash Master
Okay so we played some more today and I won all the games =).

Basically I tried to vary more (empty jumps, dash dance, etc) and read more (reading and punishing the rolls and the failed capes).

They were all like "huh you're so technical". Made me lol, given how bad my techskill is.

I also won with falcon and marth.

:phone:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Oh I forgot to ask, how do you wavedash OoS?
If I jump, tilt the joystick, shield, I don't have time to wavedash properly, ie I will triangle jump. And if I tilt the joystick, then wavedash, I always spot dodge.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Oh I forgot to ask, how do you wavedash OoS?
If I jump, tilt the joystick, shield, I don't have time to wavedash properly, ie I will triangle jump. And if I tilt the joystick, then wavedash, I always spot dodge.

I had this problem too, so now I use L to shield, then R to wavedash. So I don't have to worry about releasing then pressing the same trigger so quickly.

But many people are able to wavedash OOS using the same trigger, so I guess I'm just slow lol. If you want to use the same trigger, just keep in mind that you do not need to release the trigger all the way. You can still be pressing the trigger more than halfway down the entire time. An airdodge only registers if the trigger is fully pressed down.

Pi

Smash Hero
i reccomend using different triggers for this
i taught myself to shield with L in order to learn it
then when i learned left hand claw & z cancel i went back to using only R to shield & wavedash out
i might teach myself L again because i'm able to do it faster with L for some reason, can probably practice to do it as fast with R, but L just comes more naturally

Sangoku

Smash Master
Oh I guess I wasn't clear in my first post. I do indeed use L to shield and R to wavedash. But when I'm shielding, I don't know if I have to first tilt the joystick, then wavedash with Y/R. Or if I should first jump with Y, then tilt the joystick and press R.

In the first case I always spot dodge first so it doesn't seem to work and in the second case, the time needed to tilt the joystick between the Y and the R is long enough to make me triangle jump.

Is it better worded? =)

Thanks!

EDIT: after having talked to some people, it looks like my problem is even worse. When you wavedash, you always first jump, then tilt joystick? I always tilted first =(.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well, a wavedash works because you jump first. you jump into the air, and then angle your airdodge back into the ground. so you have to jump first before you angle and airdodge or else...nothing happens.

so you have to jump out of your shield before you start angling anything or else, as you say, you airdodge. wavedash oos works because you can jump oos.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
EDIT: after having talked to some people, it looks like my problem is even worse. When you wavedash, you always first jump, then tilt joystick? I always tilted first =(.
How else would you dash forward -> wavedash back?

On the subject, I use R to shield/airdodge/l-cancel/cat, and I just slightly release R during jump startup then click it again when airborne for WD OoS. A thing to keep in mind is that a trigger press is only registered to perform an airdodge when it's fully clicked in, so you don't have to release the trigger completely and then press it again in order to WD OoS. Upon reading the thread, it seems that Axe has already stated that point though... lol

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any tips for events 44(Mewtwo Strikes), 47(Trophy TUssle 3), 48(Pikachu and Pichu), and 49(All-Star Match Deluxe)? They seem very hard for me...

Sangoku

Smash Master
well, a wavedash works because you jump first. you jump into the air, and then angle your airdodge back into the ground. so you have to jump first before you angle and airdodge or else...nothing happens.

This is not true. You can angle first, then jump and air dodge and it will work. This is how I learned it by the way. I just followed the advanced how to play by Wak and that's how he introduces the wavedash:
"It can be done by holding the joystick down and forward (or backwards) and then pressing X~R~X~R..."

How else would you dash forward -> wavedash back?
Tilting first works. If I tilt the joystick in any direction (say right or left) while dashing I can always jump out of the turnaround animation, therefore I can wavedash even if I tilt before jumping. Now assuming what I just said is wrong, it would still work. Since I tilt downward (downleft or downright), I can do whatever I want out of it.

Tell me if I'm wrong, I don't pretend to know anything about Melee, that's why I'm here to learn :).

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
I'm trying to beat event 49, All star match deluxe. It's the only one I have left until I get 51. I've been tying to beat it with Fox and Marth but I usually run out of timeon young link or roy (And I usually take a lot of time on Falco and lose a life in the process.) Anyone got any ideas on better characters to use or help on beating this event with the characters I've been using?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yep I did the tilt before jump method for a long time but then i had to learn the "proper" way when i started playing fox

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to beat event 49, All star match deluxe. It's the only one I have left until I get 51. I've been tying to beat it with Fox and Marth but I usually run out of timeon young link or roy (And I usually take a lot of time on Falco and lose a life in the process.) Anyone got any ideas on better characters to use or help on beating this event with the characters I've been using?
TO clear this event, I'd suggest using Jigglypuff(that's what I did). Just get a bit of damage in with Fairs and Bairs, and Rest when you get the chance. Falco will be the hardest, so watchout on that one.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think about different characters contributing to others in you playing? I mean, I main Mario and use C.Falcon as a secondary though I try to play at least 80 % of my matches with the plumber. I think Falcon is good enough to be my secondary but I don't feel that playing him contributes to my playing with Mario. I'd love to play 100 % Mario but that's so frustrating from time to time and some top-tier MUs feel impossible in the long run (mostly spacies and maybe sheik). So I'm wondering what do suggest character-wise and generally? I'm not aiming to win any tournaments or anything like that (with Mario it's nearly impossible), just to get over with the frustration with those MUs so that it's not an autowin for the opponent if he picks certain characters against my Mario.

In short: Should I play 99 % Mario and maybe sometimes use other characters as secondary to learn those MUs better and help with my plumber? Or should I maybe stick with C.Falcon (or some other char you think would fit a Mario-main better) as a consistent secondary and use him to "cheat" over the difficult MUs?

I don't think it's about just learning to play against Fox/Falco/Sheik. The friend I play with almost every weekend uses mostly spacies and I can tell you that I've studied those MUs as hard as possible. Sorry this message got little too long then I originally thought and it's little bit confusing no that I read it. = ) Thanks in advance.

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Playing a different character *can* contribute to your overall gameplay. Heck, playing Brawl improved my Melee skils, but I digress.

I would suggest just sticking with one character, for Melee, unless you're dedicated enough to handle 2 characters. I wouldn't recommend "cheating"(as you prefer to call it) around 1 or 2 MUs with another char, because he just won't be fluid enough to deal with somebody who knows what he's doing. In the long run, it's better to just go through with a main in a match, because you at least know how he plays.

My 2 cents.

Pi

Smash Hero
there are two types of skill sets you need to develop in terms of becoming a better overall player:
Your base skill, the fundamentals, baiting, learning to deal with other chars/matchups, basically all the general non char specific information surrounding melee

then there is the char specific skill, this is knowledge of whatever char your playing, being able to choose the right moves in X scenerio, knowing how to di, what combo's you have on all the cast, best way to recover/edge guard, etc.

in my opinion, unless you're the type of person who develops char specific skill rapidly (i am not, when i pick up a new char i am in a state of confusion 'what move should i use here, or there, how should i approach/defend' i basiscally get overwhelmed with all these new options and forget to choose the best one and my focus lies on other things rather than my base skills, which would be baiting and other things), so unless ur the type of person who that comes second nature too, i think 1 char is best until you have a very strong base skill foundation

you can always watch video's and help develop char specific skill, it's a lot harder to develop yoru base skill unless you're 100% consistent with ur char specific skill though

if you can't do everything you want with your char 100% of the time then it's going to be harder to develop ur base skill

that's my view on it any way

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think theres a lot to be said for the things you have to learn about yourself and life outside of video games in order to be good at smash. Things like dedication, balancing emotions while making good decisions, balancing sportsmanship and ruthlessness, and taking responsibility for your actions.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Very true, but I think itd be a little redundant to say "you must be good at real life to be good at real life"... Tautology.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Does anyone have any tips for events 44(Mewtwo Strikes), 47(Trophy TUssle 3), 48(Pikachu and Pichu), and 49(All-Star Match Deluxe)? They seem very hard for me...
God pikachu and pichu took me forever... something that helps is using Kirby's shock wave thing. Then you can get the pichus from a distance. Try to keep away from pikachu (who,if you didnt know, has infinite lives.) and attack the pichus with any chance you get.

For mewtwo strikes, try to use a generally fast character. You dont want to kill zelda or you lose, also dont let Zelda kill mewtwo. Before mewtwo appears, keep your distance. When he appears, you can usually get him to suicide. I beat him about 2 weeks ago but I honestly dont remember if I suicided him for falcon puched his *** until he died...

mallu000

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick with Mario 100 % and keep on working with tactics, tech-skill etc.

I think theres a lot to be said for the things you have to learn about yourself and life outside of video games in order to be good at smash. Things like dedication, balancing emotions while making good decisions, balancing sportsmanship and ruthlessness, and taking responsibility for your actions.
I heavily agree. If you learn to work your *** off in school, in work or in anything, it will spread troughout your life. When it comes to smash or competitive gaming in general: It contributes to life and life contributes to it.

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
God pikachu and pichu took me forever... something that helps is using Kirby's shock wave thing. Then you can get the pichus from a distance. Try to keep away from pikachu (who,if you didnt know, has infinite lives.) and attack the pichus with any chance you get.

For mewtwo strikes, try to use a generally fast character. You dont want to kill zelda or you lose, also dont let Zelda kill mewtwo. Before mewtwo appears, keep your distance. When he appears, you can usually get him to suicide. I beat him about 2 weeks ago but I honestly dont remember if I suicided him for falcon puched his *** until he died...
I really should have deleted/edited that post, because within a few hours of it, I cleared all the remaining events....

But still, thanks! I'll keep it in mind! For reference, I planked with Jigglypuff till Mewtwo appeared, and basically air camped my way to victory.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Newb question: How does one angle those angleable attacks? I haven't been able to figure it out, and nobody ever seems to actually say how to do it anywhere.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Newb question: How does one angle those angleable attacks? I haven't been able to figure it out, and nobody ever seems to actually say how to do it anywhere.
I'm gonna use Pikachu's forward tilt as an example. If you hold or tilt the control stick forward and press A, he'll do a regular Ftilt. However, you can angle the Ftilt either higher or lower by tilting the control stick higher or lower, rather than just straight horizontally.

You can angle your Ftilt by tilting the control stick within about 45 degrees higher or lower than straight horizontally. If you tilt it too high, you'll do a Utilt. Too low, and you'll do a Dtilt.

MOST characters can angle their Ftilt, but a select few can't (I don't think any character with a sword can. I know Peach can't and I don't believe Sheik can either. Possibly some others I can't think of right now, but a majority of the cast can).

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
MOST characters can angle their Ftilt, but a select few can't (I don't think any character with a sword can. I know Peach can't and I don't believe Sheik can either. Possibly some others I can't think of right now, but a majority of the cast can).[/COLOR]

Bowser's FTilt is angleable, as well as Ganondorf's and Mario's FTilts and FSmashes. There are quite a handful of attacks that can be angled.

Anywho, thanks for the info. :bee:

Varist

Smash Lord
you have to scan the boards for someone running their mouth about a live stream if you want to see one. they're usually hosted on twitch.tv
many tournaments are streamed (MAJOR TOURNAMENTS tab thingy at the top of every page on this board) and PEEF streams stuff, sometimes the AZ players stream stuff (they also have a thread you'd need to wait for) etc etc.

OH LOL PLUS THAT BIG "TODAY'S LIVE STREAMS" BOX AT THE TOP. FFFFF.

LowCarbs

Smash Cadet
Okay, thanks. Another question though: If none of my friends play competitive melee, how can I get better? Also, what's the best channel on Youtube for melee videos?

Top Bottom