• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official E for All Firsthand Impressions DISCUSSION Thread

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
anyone in this thread try brawl if so do anyone play subspace emissary and use Zelda ? if so did you use her down B ? or was the whole thing scripted

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I want to ask one question about Ike's Costume.

I heard that Ike's alt. Costume look like Marth. do it increase the chance that Marth might be remove from Brawl? (I hope not but please being honestly)

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Hoho. Seems explosive containers are now separate items that can come out of capsules and such. That means we can probably turn them off. :D Veeeeeery nice.

F-0

Smash Apprentice
OMGWTFBBQ....Dude's, Chu whooped down on Hugs, almost beat him, with one-hand. No wavedashing, No L-cancelling, Not even freaking shielding. Do you get it now?

GenKyro

Smash Rookie
I keep hearing about all the different mechanics of the game and what's new and who's been nerfed and who's been improved. I want to know if the game is fun or not. Do u like playing? is it better than melee? I want to know how much fun you think it is.

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
I keep hearing about all the different mechanics of the game and what's new and who's been nerfed and who's been improved. I want to know if the game is fun or not. Do u like playing? is it better than melee? I want to know how much fun you think it is.
I took this from the first page of gimpyfish's thread.

MOST IMPORTANT UPDATE. THE GAME IS FREAKING FUN.

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
"IT IS NOT FUN!!! THE GAME SUKS YOUR WII'S BALLS!!! I HATE IT!!! DO YOU KNOW WHY??? NO ****KIN WAVEDASH!!! **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" said the idiot n00b

p.s. haven't used caps lock in a while... needed an excuse. YES i do love smash. i hate ^^^

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I'm sure these questions were answered before but I don't really have the time to look through every page, so I apologize.

About Ike:
1. I've heard Ike is a heavy hitter. Exactly what is meant by this? Does he do more damage per hit with each move or the same damage as most other characters but with much greater knockback?
2. I've also heard that Ike is very slow. Some of the earlier videos of him show him being played very slowly but some of the newer ones (ex- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOh57KLox2I and especially http://youtube.com/watch?v=1BOtMayVuVg) he seems to be moving much faster. Is he really as slow as people are saying? Are all of his attacks slow or does he have some fast and some slow? If the latter is the case, which moves tend to be faster?

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Did nobody noticed that boxes that are explosiv, now have this icon:

This could mean you probably can switch them off or just see that they are dangerous.
So there is argument Number 1 against Items be gone =)

RedKnight

Smash Ace
Yea thats kinda cool, now I dont have to worry about getting killed when I just want a ****ing item

Red_Revival

Smash Cadet
You gotta be kidding me? The game is a hell of a lot of fun. I was actually having way more fun with Brawl then playing melee when i got home.

I look at this way. It's a whole new field to learn. I just loved trying out all kinds of new things in Brawl. SO there's no more traditional wavedashing or wavelanding or l-canceling and the physics have changed a lot. But so what. We already mastered the physics of melee. Pretty much everyone can l-cancel by now. Mostly everyone in the community can do just about all of these things. So Brawl doesn't have them, OMG the game will suck!?

Of course not! The game is sick fun to play. And having a whole new field to learn but with the same basic idea is so much **** fun!

Just try it out when it's out and you'll know what i mean.

Red_Revival

Smash Cadet
I would think it should be that obvious. I mean Brawl is a new game, why shouldn't it be fun? It's the same idea as melee(best game ever) but a whole new universe. If you're questioning if the thrill will last as long as melee, to that i have no idea. but for now, just know that yes, Brawl is sick fun even tho the physics of the game have changed.

FrostyFrosty

Smash Rookie
if anything my biggest "no no" so far is if the game will be as slow and floaty as the demos were...
i liked how fast melee was ; ; But again... Brawl IS fun, just not AS fun as melee yet.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I would think it should be that obvious. I mean Brawl is a new game, why shouldn't it be fun? It's the same idea as melee(best game ever) but a whole new universe. If you're questioning if the thrill will last as long as melee, to that i have no idea. but for now, just know that yes, Brawl is sick fun even tho the physics of the game have changed.
He was being REALLY sarcastic with that, of course new things are more fun.

Red_Revival

Smash Cadet
I know that, I'm not an idiot. But he's pointing out that the game is new. In return, I'm acknowledging that yes, the game should be fun since it's new, but don't doubt that it's thrill can last a long time. As long as Melee's? I don't know, Melee's thrill is seemingly endless, or maybe it ended at OC3. hah! But either way, have faith that it's not really fun right now just because it's new. I think it will last.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Well if Brawl doesn't look as fun now as it does in melee then thats probably cause its the demo............. has anybody here played melee's demo??? or seen any videos of people playing melee's demo? their opinion would probably be more accurate then others who are comparing brawl's demo to melee's 5 year later advanced tech based fighting style. Try discussing firsthand impressions of brawl as a demo and not as the full game. if you know what I mean. it might work out better. :p

starcock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Starcock
All the ink drop and dash brake stuff is only in the demo. The guy made us stupid people find all the glicthes so he can fix it by Feb 10th.. So keep feeding the guy info and there will be no Brawl.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
if anything my biggest "no no" so far is if the game will be as slow and floaty as the demos were...
i liked how fast melee was ; ; But again... Brawl IS fun, just not AS fun as melee yet.
I've been playing melee since the day it came out (ok so technically two days later because of our stores not getting them dec 3rd) and brawls already got me hooked, and I'm already pretty sure "ll like it more. I'd almost say I do like it more just from the demo.

Really like I said before, if your not a tourney/real serious player you've got NOTHING to worry about. And even if you are it seems most of the good players there liked it a lot. I'm not sure if Gimpy did anything else there.

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
All the ink drop and dash brake stuff is only in the demo. The guy made us stupid people find all the glicthes so he can fix it by Feb 10th.. So keep feeding the guy info and there will be no Brawl.
I doubt Sakurai is hunting the boards for discussion of glitches and then eliminating them from the game.

Red_Revival

Smash Cadet
LOL Scrubs

My favorite Quote at EforALL was me pointing out to Gimpy that the physics make it seem as if Chaingrabbing will be either limited or impossible. and Gimpy said something like "That's Awesome Man! I Play Bowser so That's good for me!"

LOL, so yeah, Even tho Chain grabbing isn't out, I know i saw a mario chain grab about 4 throws, I still think they balanced it out a bit.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I've seen a lot of people making early tier lists and things of that nature. I think it's FAR too early to be doing that. These people playing Brawl have only had 1 or 2 days with these characters in constant battles, with no opportunity to stop and just try to learn the applications of each characters moves. Not to mention that it's a whole new game, with a new feel. Melee's tier list was ever changing, and it wasn't until 1 or 2 years ago that it was locked down.

If you're worried about a character that you were interested in playing because of bad reviews now, I think it's too early for that. We will all need a ton of play time before we really know which characters suck and which ones don't.
Same here, especially with the changes they're going to be doing with the amount of time they have.

Red_Revival

Smash Cadet
Same here, especially with the changes they're going to be doing with the amount of time they have.
Tho I Also Agree, as it should be obvious, we will still be learning about the game for a long time, It wasn't a few plays for 1 or 2 days. It was non stop playing for 4 days, Totaling 35 hours

LeadPenguin

Smash Cadet
I love how I love the Smash games but by coming here I step into a foreign country where everyone speaks a different language. Wave-dash-missle-cancel-land-dash-shine tier flicker frame bleep-bleep action nerf-tapping!

you and other casuals
Man, now we're just second-class citizens. And name-calling! Why do your words have to hurt, tournament players? :(

;)

Bloshi

Smash Ace
I love how I love the Smash games but by coming here I step into a foreign country where everyone speaks a different language. Wave-dash-missle-cancel-land-dash-shine tier flicker frame bleep-bleep action nerf-tapping!
You mean you don't know what that is? Man you must SUCK at this game! Everyone can do that!

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
If only someone had been nice enough to make several topics explaining every technique and term.

LeadPenguin

Smash Cadet
You mean you don't know what that is? Man you must SUCK at this game! Everyone can do that!
I might know how to do it. I might do those things all the time! I just have fun playing the game and don't bother over-analyzing it.

If only someone had been nice enough to make several topics explaining every technique and term.
Shhhhh. Then my joke doesn't work! (Also, see above.)

TamJammerz

Smash Apprentice
I guess I'll tell my impressions on Ike, since I was playing with him for some time...

Normal Attacks:
Ike is, first off, SLOW... I don't blame him, though. Ragnell is huge. Anyway, Ike would be one of the heavier characters, and maybe even one of the more powerful ones. His Smash Attacks have INSANE knockback. Although slow, I believe that he doesn't get stunned while unleashing it (I think he can be stunned if he's charging it, though).

Ike's aerial attacks aren't too hot, though. I try to avoid using his aerial attacks. They are very slow when compared to how fast an aerial attack usually is. His f-air is very slow, and I usually didn't get a hit in with it.

Special Attacks:

Neutral Special Move: Eruption - Ike just basically plunges his sword into the ground, creating a small pillar of fire in front of him. If done in air, Ike will do a sword plant, similar to Link's d-air, except with flames spewing out of the tip of Ragnell. This move will KO people, and I don't believe you get stunned while unleashing it, either.

Smash Special Move: Dashing Thingy - This one, like Eruption, is chargeable. When released, Ike will rush forward while slashing. This is mainly used for recovery, so I didn't really see a pratical use for it when fighting. It makes decent distance, although it can be improved just a little.

Down Special Move: Counter - Works just like Marth's or Roy's. I'm still unclear about how long it stays out and how much damage it does.

Up Special Move: Aether - First off, only use this move unless you're sure that you will get back on the stage or after performing the Dashing Thingy. Because Aether absolutely makes NO horizontal recovery AT ALL!!! I would advise using his Smash Special and follow up with Aether for maximum recovery distance.

Final Smash: Super Fire Aether - This is one of my favorites. Basically, Ragnell goes on fire and Ike throws his sword up for Aether (Although, if you don't hit an enemy with the throw, the FS is cancelled). After that, Ike follows up by leaping upwards, catching Ragnell, and continuously striking the opponent with a series of slashes and, what I believe to be, kicks. After that, Ike will charge up Ragnell while the opponent is still suspended in the air and come down with an explosion. Truly awe-inspring...

Overall - I would say Ike was one of the worser characters in the demo, but he was still usable and could still be played with decently. Oh, and when I say this, it's not be a great margin. All the characters in the demo were pretty much all the same (Except for maybe Meta-Knight... He was just pwnsome).

Top Bottom