• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth is probably bottom of high because you have people like ICs, Toon Link, Wolf, and Pit in front of him. Probably Dedede too.
None of those characters are better then Marth. The only character that you could make a case for being better is Dedede. That's it.

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
I hope there is a discovery about falcon that will at least move him to low. I am so pissed at what they did to falcon. Not even fox was nerfed this bad.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Dedede in third? No. No way. I really don't think CG's make up for the fact that he can still get gimped very easily. Sure he's heavy, but he'll get pushed off the edge eventually. Once you get past his CG, his ground game is extremely unremarkable.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If you want my biased personal opinion I think Dedede is overrated trash and boring as well.

He has a handful of good moves, but since he can CG he does well. As a character though I find him unimpressive.

I think G&W, Falco, and Marth are far more deserving of the third spot.

But going by tournaments Dedede has what it takes. Then again he is pretty popular so tourney results are a little skewed.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
If you want my biased personal opinion I think Dedede is overrated trash and boring as well.

He has a handful of good moves, but since he can CG he does well. As a character though I find him unimpressive.

I think G&W, Falco, and Marth are far more deserving of the third spot.

But going by tournaments Dedede has what it takes. Then again he is pretty popular so tourney results are a little skewed.
I feel you on that one, but then again, I main Kirby so I shouldn't have a tough time with that match. My opinion is more than likely a product of never playing a good Dedede player however. I personally think that GaW should get the third spot. Tourney results are good for making tier lists up until a point. You have to realize that King Dedede is much more of a crowd pleaser than GaW and will therefore have a larger following. Don't forget that many people were quick to banish GaW back down to the low tier at the beginning of the release, but a few die hards brought him all the way up here. King Dedede was overplayed from the beginning.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Dedede in third? No. No way. I really don't think CG's make up for the fact that he can still get gimped very easily. Sure he's heavy, but he'll get pushed off the edge eventually. Once you get past his CG, his ground game is extremely unremarkable.
are you kidding me? D3's recovery is amazing and with proper timing his ground game is very formidable. you must not be playing the right D3s

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Any competent Brawl player knows exactly where Dedede's upB will go, it goes the same place every time. At the height of his jump you can hit the penguin with a fair or nair or something and all of a sudden he's back on the ledge. Like Pit, his recovery is great if no one's paying attention but otherwise he's dead.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
yeah, but a competent brawl player also knows how to di after getting hit, or stop the falling part which creates lag and makes people miss with their advances.

have you ever honestly played a serious D3? you seem to be summing him up like he's easily abused by anyone, and that's not the case man.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
No he's not easily abused. He's easily gimped.
He's still high tier so calm down.

And I know his upB can be canceled. It doesn't matter, I'm talking about hitting him at the height of his jump.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
i'm calm guys no anger or whiny-ness, i was just stating facts sorry if it came off like i was trying to offend anybody.

if you have good di you won't get gimped trust me.

on most stages you can di his upb from off screen and land on the stage anyways

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Yes, I know. I'm just saying that his recovery will always follow the same recovery. This isn't a problem for characters with linear recoveries like the Mario Bros. and Cpt Falcon because their recovery is shorter, but since Dedede's jump animation takes so long, the opponent will have plenty of time to respond to the situation.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
DDD has the officially one of the best dash attacks in the game, it kills most characters at 80&
DDD is one of the better characters in the game, but you have to admit he exploits his chain throw and thats a major reason why he wins tournies

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
DDD has the officially best dash attack in the game, it kills most characters at 80&
Using that logic, Ike has the best Fsmash in the game, it can kill around 50%. Being a fan of the Kirby series, I love how it was implemented into Brawl, but as a player it really only serves as a mindgame for those trying to spotdoge his CG, but instead are met with a fat penguin crush to the face. Other than that, you will get punished severely if you use Dedede's dash attack

And what does everyone think about my idea for a six tiered list?

High
Upper
Middle
Low
Bottom

I honestly believe that this is the best solution to our problem

Snake
Meta Knight

High
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.
Marth
Toon Link

Upper
Ice Climbers
King Dedede
Wolf
Pikachu
Olimar
Kirby
Zelda
Wario

Middle
Lucario
*Massive fuzziness and uncertainty*

Bottom
Yoshi
Samus
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Capt. Falcon

Looks solid IMO except for the convenient lack of a middle and low tier mostly because I don't play those characters very often.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
yeah he's right, you only use it if you know it'll hit or you could take alot of damage.

and DDD would have the best fsmash too, it kills at 17% charged and at 30 if sweetspotted uncharged.

^_^

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
i'm calm guys no anger or whiny-ness, i was just stating facts sorry if it came off like i was trying to offend anybody.
I think the reasons you may state could be part (along with other reasons) why he's in high tier in the first place, and the disadvantages they state is why he is kept from being top tier.

Who knows though. The official tier list will likely surprise (and offend) us all.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Using that logic, Ike has the best Fsmash in the game, it can kill around 50%. Being a fan of the Kirby series, I love how it was implemented into Brawl, but as a player it really only serves as a mindgame for those trying to spotdoge his CG, but instead are met with a fat penguin crush to the face. Other than that, you will get punished severely if you use Dedede's dash attack
It's a once in a match move that can be used to punish someone who has tripped, but most of the time it is situational. Regardless DDD's dash attack has immense power that few other dash attacks have, right now I believe the best dash attack goes to falco beacuse his combos well and is a good approach(bombsoldier start off tons of combos with the dash attack), but when the time is right DDD's will get one kill in a match if used wisely and not spammed during the entire match. It should never be used more than once in a match but it will at most times guarantee the kill at 70% or higher

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
It's a once in a match move that can be used to punish someone who has tripped, but most of the time it is situational. Regardless DDD's dash attack has immense power that few other dash attacks have, right now I believe the best dash attack goes to falco beacuse his combos well and is a good approach(bombsoldier start off tons of combos with the dash attack), but when the time is right DDD's will get one kill in a match if used wisely and not spammed during the entire match. It should never be used more than once in a match but it will at most times guarantee the kill at 70% or higher
A once in a match move is never going to be ranked the best, ever. If it has such a specific use, then its not good. I'll use Kirby as an example. Kirby has one of the best bairs in the game. It has good KO potential, high priority, low lag, and can even WoP at low percentages. Kirby has one of the worst dash attacks in the game (it looked good at first but it really sucks) assuming that you hit with it, it can be easily DI'd out of and leaves very noticeable lag. In the case of Dedede's dash attack, it's not good by this logic. Though the knockback is excellent, it suffers from a large amount of start-up and cool down lag. This means that he may not even get it off, or he will get punished afterwards. Falco is also a great case of a good dash attack due to dash canceling. It can lead to combos, be dash canceled and even if shielded, a dash cancel will push you far enough back to ensure Falco's safety from excessive repercussion. The specificity of Dedede's dash attack makes it a very bad choice in most situations and therefore a bad move.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
None of those characters are better then Marth. The only character that you could make a case for being better is Dedede. That's it.
First of all: Every single one I named have projectiles where Marth doesn't.

ICs have THE BEST chaingrab in the entire game that can 0-death at the player's will and icicles can be annoying. Literally 1 grab from ICs on most characters = death.

Toon Link can do double-arrows and throw other crap at Marth and keep him at bay and if Marth happens to approach somehow then TL can just follow up with a Nair or Bair and do w/e to punish Marth.

Wolf has a MUCH better F-smash than Marth in almost every way (if not every) which is really good to approach and give damage when he needs to but, because he has a laser he can shoot to piss off the Marth so Wolf has even more options.

Pit's Arrows can go practically anywhere so if Marth tries to jump over the arrows Pit can just curve them making it very hard to approach Pit. Also, Pit's recov is better than Marth's.

Dedede can spam Waddle-dees some waddle-doos and a random Gordo at Marth and Dedede has huge multi-hit hitboxes and also has a much better recovery than Marth. Also, Dedede can WoP.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
A once in a match move is never going to be ranked the best, ever. If it has such a specific use, then its not good. I'll use Kirby as an example. Kirby has one of the best bairs in the game. It has good KO potential, high priority, low lag, and can even WoP at low percentages. Kirby has one of the worst dash attacks in the game (it looked good at first but it really sucks) assuming that you hit with it, it can be easily DI'd out of and leaves very noticeable lag. In the case of Dedede's dash attack, it's not good by this logic. Though the knockback is excellent, it suffers from a large amount of start-up and cool down lag. This means that he may not even get it off, or he will get punished afterwards. Falco is also a great case of a good dash attack due to dash canceling. It can lead to combos, be dash canceled and even if shielded, a dash cancel will push you far enough back to ensure Falco's safety from excessive repercussion. The specificity of Dedede's dash attack makes it a very bad choice in most situations and therefore a bad move.
Your right, DDD's dash attack is way too situatinal compared to falco's and others, its a situational KO move that wont be used much in metagame., thanks for clearing it up though
Also Kirby has a FOP, not a WOP

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
I'm not talking about Meta Knight in that post now am I? I'm talking about those characters vs Marth.
I am aware that you're talking about Marth, but the way you word it is like"I have a projectile and you don't and therefore you are inferior". So yeah, MK is one w/o a projectile.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Wolf has a MUCH better F-smash than Marth in almost every way (if not every)

Dedede has a much better recovery than Marth. Also, Dedede can WoP.
Marth's F-smash was considered the best in melee and that doesent change much in brawl, you must be used to hitting non-tipper f-smashes with marth, beacuse a tipper with the f-smash is a kill at 80% if your opponent doesent DI extremly well. BTW marth's tipper f-smash kill a popo that is alone a 0%(this is true if your opponent does no DI well). Marth's Fsmash is quick, amazing range, and very powerful with a little bit of lag.
Also marth can circle battlefield and smashville while DDD can't, and marth can do the hyrule jump without using his b-up, and marth can do the "down under jump" so don't say that marth has a bad recovery, beacuse it has multiple options and goes a lot of distance both horizontally and vertically while doing damage that prevents being him from gimped easily

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
What are you talking about? His ftilt is as ranged as DK's ftilt, if not more ranged. His dtilt has a little knockback for those who get close enough to him. His utilt is pretty good, too. His jab is pretty good, and ranged. I don't know who you're playing, but Dedede's ground game DOESN'T suck. However, I don't think he'd be third best.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Sorry it sounded that way. I was only trying to talk about Marth.

About MK not having a projectile: Meta Knight has everything else so he doesn't really need a projectile.

Speed - Attack AND Movement
Priority - Out-prioritizes practically everyone
Recov - Every single one of his B-moves can be used to recover AND he has 5 mid-air jumps AND he has TWO glides

Meta Knight is that awesome that he can break through projectiles (or at least it's easier for him to approach because he has multiple jumps) and approach w/o getting too punished or punished at all.

Meta Knight is on a whole other plane than Marth so you can't really compare them using what I said earlier.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
LOL!!!!

So they have projectiles? And? Who is better at close range? Who has better kill moves? Who has a better pressure game? A better approach?

Marth outdoes all of those characters, except MK to which he is comparable albeit slightly worse.

IC's CG means jack if they can't grab him. IC boards agree that Marth has advantage over them. All Pit has on Marth is arrows and a better recovery. Marth is superior in pretty much every other department.

TL? Marth can jump over arrows or dash under high ones. He can also just jab or shield them. How can TL punish Marth when he rushes when Marth spaces well. If TL tries to hit Marth at close range Marth will shove his sword down TL's throat.

Wolf. Yeha he is good. Too bad his lasers are easily powershielded and Marth's fair will beat Wolf's f-smash. Also Wolf's f-smash is less safe then Marth's. Block it and he is screwed.

Waddle dees can be jabbed and aren't even a problem.

Every character you mentioned Marth either has advantage on or the match-up is even.

You aren't ready for me.

I'll just stop now.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Marth's F-smash was considered the best in melee and that doesent change much in brawl, you must be used to hitting non-tipper f-smashes with marth, beacuse a tipper with the f-smash is a kill at 80% if your opponent doesent DI extremly well. BTW marth's tipper f-smash kill a popo that is alone a 0%(this is true if your opponent does no DI well). Marth's Fsmash is quick, amazing range, and very powerful with a little bit of lag.
Also marth can circle battlefield and smashville while DDD can't, and marth can do the hyrule jump without using his b-up, and marth can do the "down under jump" so don't say that marth has a bad recovery, beacuse it has multiple options and goes a lot of distance both horizontally and vertically while doing damage that prevents being him from gimped easily
If Marth DI's unbelievably well, he might be able to recover from just about anything, depending on the stage. If he doesn't have the height, he won't be able to B his way back and then upB.....he's easily edgehogged in this situation. Also, if he loses his jump off the side, he's more or less gimped, since the player can just make for the ledge for the hog.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
It's probably going to work out the same as melee: The top characters are all fast mid-weight characters with a great fusion of combo potential and KO ability.

All the heavies are going to be lower. Maybe ganondorf will be mid tier, with all of Sliq's very handy techniques in place.

Overall though, it depends on all the new techniques we find.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
LOL!!!!

So they have projectiles? And? Who is better at close range? Who has better kill moves? Who has a better pressure game? A better approach?

Marth outdoes all of those characters, except MK to which he is comparable albeit slightly worse.

IC's CG means jack if they can't grab him. IC boards agree that Marth has advantage over them. All Pit has on Marth is arrows and a better recovery. Marth is superior in pretty much every other department.

TL? Marth can jump over arrows or dash under high ones. He can also just jab or shield them. How can TL punish Marth when he rushes when Marth spaces well. If TL tries to hit Marth at close range Marth will shove his sword down TL's throat.

Wolf. Yeha he is good. Too bad his lasers are easily powershielded and Marth's fair will beat Wolf's f-smash. Also Wolf's f-smash is less safe then Marth's. Block it and he is screwed.

Waddle dees can be jabbed and aren't even a problem.

Every character you mentioned Marth either has advantage on or the match-up is even.

You aren't ready for me.

I'll just stop now.
You make it sound so easy, you're talking about a machine-perfect Marth against some nub characters. TL keeps pace with Marth in close range, despite the slight range disadvantage, because TL's attacks are very quick, have some combo potential, setup potential, and knockback. Also, TL has more than arrows, and a good TL knows how to use all his projectiles in a manner that's defensive and forces the opponent into situations that they don't want to be in.

Dedede's waddle dees might not give Marth a problem, but his tilts/jab sure frigin do.

Wolf would likely get owned by Marth just because of his lack of range and poor recovery.

Pure, you're partially right....except that the top characters mostly have great ground games (both MK and Snake have amazing ground games that help bring out the strength in the rest of their respective games)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ahhh, but I didn't say Marth murders TL. It's actually even.

Just saying that TL can't just spam projectiles and think thats enough to keep Marth back. Good players WILL get in. And that's when Marth takes control. TL controls from a distance and Marth controls up close.

Also Marth's basic approach allows him to cover the options of TL and Dedede. SH fair allows Marth to jab arrows, boomerangs, and waddle dees. The SH lets him go over Dedede's f-tilt. With proper spacing Marth is safe and completely outranges TL's options other then F-smash which owuld miss if he tried it since Marth is in the air. Since Marth iss afe this is an excellent pressure toll that allows him to safely approach, while inherintly beating his opponent's options.

I'm not saying that that's TL and Dedede's only options, but Marth's SH fair allows him to get past some of thier more effective tools.

But as you said a good TL would know all this and they know how to use their projectiles to thier advantage. Hence, it's even.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Oh, I hit tippers fairly often in Melee and I'll agree that Marth's sword is beastly... In Melee.

And you using these nooby situational scenarios doesn't really help your argument because most likely your opponent will be good and be able to DI properly (or at all with the IC case) so saying "if they don't DI well" doesn't really mean anything.

Marth lost a lot of the range in Brawl that he used to have in Melee.

Meta Knight
Falco's F-smash
Wolf's F-smash
Ike's F-smash
Olimar's F-smash

all have greater range than Marth's F-smash just to name a few off the top of my head.

And Wolf has his own tipper that his very F-smash sets the opponent up into if they're close enough because it's multi-hit. Marth has 1 swipe and lag afterwards so it's easy to shield-grab.

so don't say that marth has a bad recovery, beacuse it has multiple options and goes a lot of distance both horizontally and vertically while doing damage that prevents being him from gimped easily
I never said Marth had a bad recovery. All I said was that Dedede's was better.:ohwell:

FinalLegend

Smash Rookie
Actually, S tier = Snake tier.

lulz, Can MK be in the Snake tier?

But yea, they're not nearly as unbeatable as previously thought, but both of them have a huge margin of error....they can make many mistakes, but still win the match. But even Snake doesn't loom as high as people make him out to be, and MK is in the same situation. Although both are still the best.
S tier = snake tier? you gotta be kidding Its gonna be Star Fox Tier =)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth didn't lose alot of range on his sword. It's mostly his posture that has affected his range. He no longer fully extends his body for his attacks or leans in as much.

This is very noticable on his f-smash.

MK's f-smash does not outrange Marth's. WTF are you talking about.

Also...you do know that Marth is more then just his f-smash right? >_>

Also Falco's f-smash sweetspots right next to him so even though he can hit at the tip it won't do him much good.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Marth didn't lose alot of range on his sword. It's mostly his posture that has affected his range. He no longer fully extends his body for his attacks or leans in as much.

This is very noticable on his f-smash.

MK's f-smash does not outrange Marth's. WTF are you talking about.

Also...you do know that Marth is more then just his f-smash right? >_>

Also Falco's f-smash sweetspots right next to him so even though he can hit at the tip it won't do him much good.
regardless of what the cause of his loss of range is, that is what happened. That's what the programmers decided to do.

When I said "Meta Knight" I didn't just mean his F-smash. Because of his initial range, priority and speed Meta Knight can out-range Marth in a contest.

And I know Marth is more than just his F-smash but that's what you decided to talk about in that post so that's what I was replying to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom