• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Okay this is what I think:
Top Tier:
Toon Link
Marth
Wolf
Sonic
Diddy Kong

High Tier:
Meta Knight
Falco
Pikachu
Kirby
Squirtle
Luigi
Game and Watch
Ike
King Dedede
Pit
Captain Falcon
Lucas
Shiek

Middle Tier:
Zamus
Mario
Peach
Ice Climbers
Lucario
Link
Samus
Zelda
Jigglypuff
Snake
Ness
Ivysaur
Wario
Fox

Low Tier:
R.O.B
Charizard
Olimar
Bowser
Ganondorf
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Another one who ignores Yoshi pros

Griffard

Smash Ace
my 1st draft:
Top Tier:
Marth
Wolf
Snake

High Tier:
R.O.B.
Toon Link
Zelda
Diddy Kong
Game & Watch
King Dedede
Olimar
Falco
Pikachu
Zamus
Ike
Pit
Meta Knight
Fox
Sheik

Middle Tier:
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Wario
Ice Climbers
Ness
Mario
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Bowser
Sonic
Samus
Peach
Donkey Kong
Link

Low:
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Yoshi

I might have overlooked some things, and the high tier is a bit mixed up, but i think that is quite accurate

Bacon Man11

Smash Journeyman
Ummm.... please don't like flame me or anything, I would just like to know why Wolf is so high on all the lists. I don't really play him so I don't know too much about Wolf. Is he really that good?

Tien2500

Smash Lord
This is my elite Tier List!

Top Tier:

Marth
Diddy Kong
Toon Link
Wolf
Snake
R.O.B.

High Tier:

Zelda
Game & Watch
King Dedede
Ness
Olimar
Fox
Falco
Zamus
Pickachu
Ike
Pit
Meta Knight
Sonic
Sheik

Middle Tier:
Samus
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Lucas
Bowser
Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Yoshi
Link
Kirby
Peach

Low:

Gannondorf
Wario
Captain Falcon
JigglyPuff

Is this pretty accurrate so far?
I'd put Diddy in high not Top Tier. I don't have that much experience with Wolf but I'd say high tier for him too. I have a good deal of experience with Zelda and she's pretty good. But not the top of high tier. A lack of approach kills her against characters who could negate Din's Fire (Fox, Wolf, Falco, Ness, Lucas, G&W, Pit, and to a lesser extent a skilled Pikachu). And Kirby deserves to be way higher on the list. And I'd put GDorf on the bottom.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
My Tier list so far.
Top Tier
Zamus

Bottom Tier
Zelda

I'm trying out each character for about a week and making the tier list as I try them week by week. I started in backwards alphabetical order. Zamus gets the top spot over Zelda for her much better versatility. Zelda is great when enemies approach you but has a very weak approach herself. So if your character makes you approach them its an uphill struggle. That being said Zelda is very good. She's only on the bottom of the list because there are only two characters.

ZSS is great. She's as quick as Sheik and has great combos. She also has good range on many of her attacks which lets her sit back and play defensively when you want or need too. Also wavebouncing with her whip can give enemies a lot of problems. If her short hop was a little lower she'd be better but you can't win them all.

I'm working on Yoshi this week. So far I haven't played enough to rank him but he's really not as bad as I expected. In fact I'd go as far as to say he's decent. I've had no trouble beating skilled opponents with him. He's not the best (so far I'd say ZSS and Zelda are both better) but he's definitely not terrible.

peinoftherain

Smash Rookie
I'll try to compose one as well:
This list is not really in order though so.....

Top Tier :chuckle:
D3
Snake
Marth
Toon Link
R.O.B.

Upper Tier :laugh:
Metaknight
Wolf
Olimar
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Kirby
G&W
Falco
Pit
Zelda
Zero suit Samus

Middle Tier :)
Ike
Fox
Luigi
ICs
Mario
Peach
Link
Sheik
Pokemon Trainer
Yoshi
Lucario
Pikachu
Bowser
Sonic

Low :ohwell:
Donkey Kong
Ness
Wario
Samus
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff

Bottom :(
Ganondorf

This is just my opinion

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Why is everyone so bent on forming their own tier list? Are they hoping they're praised for making one that everyone agrees with? Like many have said before me, wait for more tourneys...

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Why is everyone so bent on forming their own tier list? Are they hoping they're praised for making one that everyone agrees with? Like many have said before me, wait for more tourneys...
I completely agree. People are unaware that tiers are statistical measurements of which characters have more advantages than others, not a bunch of theories and hypothesizes.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Hey. For metaknight haters. im not good with him but his KO potential isnt that great but its because maybe your playing him wrong. most people you try to damage them up to like lets say 100% then come stronger attacks which you attempt to kill with. Well when playing metaknight you just go a little longer which isnt that tough cause he racks up damage quickly.

thats just my two cents
Another thing that Meta Knight has above other characters for killing is that he can chase you off the stage , kill you, and still get back on easier than most characters. His high aerial priority makes that even easier.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Huh? I've only posted it twice. I guess it's from everyone else constantly reposting it. But it's good to check back every once in a while since it changes so drastically from day to day.
Yeah, its been quoted up the *** :laugh: .

And for that spammer... are you serious? Spam doesn't work! Give up!

ZäP

Smash Apprentice
1) I know all about the IC's, I main them if you haven't noticed. I had them high in the top tier for quite a long time, but absolutely no one seemed to agree with me so I was forced to lower them.

2) Again, a lot of people agreed upon putting Snake at the top. This is mostly because his match-ups are just flat out good. He has a lot of things that make him good, but the fact that he dominates the majority of the casts is what really keeps him up so high.
Yes, I did notice that you main them, and also I find it odd that so many people deny IC's potential. (I wonder have anyone watched VirtualVoids IC...link) Ofcourse few characters have more potential than IC and will outmatch them countless times but I still think that, while they might not deserve high tier spot, they're better than Zelda and R.O.B for fact I main Zelda, and I know quite a lot about her and I play R.O.B quite lot.

Snake's true to the certain point where the stage comes to the play, his mind games and tricks won't work anymore on flat stages with few platforms to get safe. There better projectile spammer like pit will outplay him almost all aspect, although Snake is even in most of time in close quaters having high priority moveset.
And dominating majority while partially true I'd think he has more harder time to dominate small and/or fast character than bigger/slower characters of the cast and small/fast characters are majority of the cast atleast it feels so at the moment...

(I don't make any sense, do I?)

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Having actually played Void's ICs many many times(and losing, repeatedly, but I'm getting there :) ) I still don't think they should be Top\SS, but I do think they will be 6th-8th on the list, whereas I used to put them around 16th

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's if they grab you though. This goes back to melee, (sort of). There, IC's were 6 or 7th on the tier list. Why? Great grabs, wobbling, nice smashes, and an ok recovery. Nana did well on her own and desynchronizing them made it easier to kill people. People moaned and complained about them being "too" good. If you got grabbed at about 40%, game over. The problem was that not only did Nana have to be there, but you had to have the SKILL to time the moves right, grab the correct way, etc. So many things had to fall into place in order to pull it off.

How has this changed in Brawl? Not much on the IC's part. You still have to watch your nana, timing, spacing, and such, but there is a new problem, excessive camping. If someone successfully runs away from you through most of the match, it will make it very hard to grab, let alone grab with all the pieces to the combo being there, i.e. Nana. I want to wait and see where to place the ICs because they are a weird couple in my book.

ZäP

Smash Apprentice
Having actually played Void's ICs many many times(and losing, repeatedly, but I'm getting there :) ) I still don't think they should be Top\SS, but I do think they will be 6th-8th on the list, whereas I used to put them around 16th

Oh, I forgot that you actually play against VirtualVoid...

I thought I never said IC should be Top/SS just be ranked higher than they are now. In my own "tier list" which I haven't posted because it's hardly ready yet, they're 7th and I think it's quite accurate placing for them.

katanagash

Smash Apprentice
Here's what I think (not in exact order but in ideal category)

Top/High: Lucario, Diddy, Toon Link, Marth, Fox, Sheik, Pit, Snake, Wolf, Ike

Middle: Mario, Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Pikachu, Luigi, Captain Falcon, I.C., Peach, Bowser, Ganondorf, Falco, Mr. G., Wario, Lucas, King Dedede, R.O.B.

Low/Bottom: DK, Jigglypuff, Ness, Sonic, Meta Knight, Pokemon Trainer, Captain Olimar, Zelda

Browny

Smash Hater
As much as i hate snake and everything he stands for, hes just too good :/

i think matchups should be worth something. i think olimar is one of the best in the game due to his rediculous camping ability, you cant get near the little **** without a dsmash or pikmin chain in your face. Hes probably my worst match up when i play as sonic. but snake really dominates him. especially by hovering the nikita beneath the stage where olimar hangs after recovering... instant kill.

then i play as sonic and do really well versus snake, all snakes specials are useless vs sonic and its just too easy to spam running grabs to rack up the damage in no time.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
If this is directed towards me:

1) SRK is a bit more of a mature community than SWF, so I'm not worried about stupidity.
2) If you're going to say our list is ridiculous and overlooks a bunch of characters, at least give some examples of what you mean, and we have several mains for every character posting in that thread, so I doubt we're overlooking that much.
3) I hope you're joking on the last part.
First of all, it's clear when I joke. The reason I say make half-baked tiers is because all the characters are pretty balanced out, so trying to divide them up into very defined tiers is difficult. Not to mention that I believe that a bottom tier won't exist, or that the bottom tier will not have a grand disadvantage against characters higher in the tiers. I think it would be easier to talk out each character's strengths and weaknesses and matchups if we try to find the very best first.

Second of all, I apologize for insinuating that SRK is stupid. It's my fault for being ignorant....the problem isn't your stupidity, it's the fact that you guys clearly suck at brawl.

Third of all, there were so many contradictions in your tier list that I almost passed out...if you want to show me your tier list again, I'll see if I can fix it up, but it was pretty messed up :)

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace

Middle: Mario, Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Pikachu, Luigi, Captain Falcon, I.C., Peach, Bowser, Ganondorf, Falco, Mr. G., Wario, Lucas, King Dedede, R.O.B.

Low/Bottom: DK, Jigglypuff, Ness, Sonic, Meta Knight, Pokemon Trainer, Captain Olimar, Zelda
Excuse the double post, but I believe you wanted me to **** the **** out of you and kill your f***in mother that gave birth to you with my "low tier" Meta Knight.

EDIT: Also, I think IC's are sort of where they were before as far as their own skill, but I don't really know them enough to say anything for sure.

_X_

Smash Lord
I think the IC's are already mosters. They can chainthrow just with D-throw just about every character.

Fox'll be highish 'cause of the D-air combos and the shine... but he's easily combo'd.

Crazy Hobo

Smash Cadet

Shiek is top while Zelda's bottom? MK in bottom while Yoshi is mid? P Trainer in bottom while Mario is mid? And Ganondorf mid? I'm going to assume you came up with your list form playing your friends alone. Please explain your list.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I think too many people are drinking Toon Link's Kool-Aid. I main Falcon and personally I am thankful when a Toon Link matchup comes my way. He is too easy to KO and can't reach for crap. Besides that he's ridiculously easy to edgeguard so you can get kills on him at around 40% if you know what you're doing.

Also I personally believe that Falcon is significantly better than Jigglypuff, Wario, DK, Bowser, Ganondorf and Yoshi. I would say that putting him in the same tier as them is not doing him justice (this is probably because a significant number of people making lists here have never even touched Falcon or seen a good one but since everyone thinks he is the worst character ever they'll just throw him on the bottom with the truly crappy characters).

Pikachu is probably high tier, not mid like some people have him. I also think that Ness is probably mid and not low tier.

DeDeDe, Snake, and Marth are all surefire top tiers. Kirby is probably closer to middle tier than high tier.

Just my two cents.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Yes, I did notice that you main them, and also I find it odd that so many people deny IC's potential. (I wonder have anyone watched VirtualVoids IC...link) Ofcourse few characters have more potential than IC and will outmatch them countless times but I still think that, while they might not deserve high tier spot, they're better than Zelda and R.O.B for fact I main Zelda, and I know quite a lot about her and I play R.O.B quite lot.

Snake's true to the certain point where the stage comes to the play, his mind games and tricks won't work anymore on flat stages with few platforms to get safe. There better projectile spammer like pit will outplay him almost all aspect, although Snake is even in most of time in close quaters having high priority moveset.
And dominating majority while partially true I'd think he has more harder time to dominate small and/or fast character than bigger/slower characters of the cast and small/fast characters are majority of the cast atleast it feels so at the moment...

(I don't make any sense, do I?)
I'm still trying to push for IC's to be higher, but I need more support on it. And Snake dominates so hard at close range that it's not even funny.

Yeah, that's if they grab you though. This goes back to melee, (sort of). There, IC's were 6 or 7th on the tier list. Why? Great grabs, wobbling, nice smashes, and an ok recovery. Nana did well on her own and desynchronizing them made it easier to kill people. People moaned and complained about them being "too" good. If you got grabbed at about 40%, game over. The problem was that not only did Nana have to be there, but you had to have the SKILL to time the moves right, grab the correct way, etc. So many things had to fall into place in order to pull it off.

How has this changed in Brawl? Not much on the IC's part. You still have to watch your nana, timing, spacing, and such, but there is a new problem, excessive camping. If someone successfully runs away from you through most of the match, it will make it very hard to grab, let alone grab with all the pieces to the combo being there, i.e. Nana. I want to wait and see where to place the ICs because they are a weird couple in my book.
Why do people still think that the IC's need to get a grab to win? They're entire move set is so good that you can forget you even have grabs. And camping doesn't hurt the IC's since their approach is so good.

First of all, it's clear when I joke. The reason I say make half-baked tiers is because all the characters are pretty balanced out, so trying to divide them up into very defined tiers is difficult. Not to mention that I believe that a bottom tier won't exist, or that the bottom tier will not have a grand disadvantage against characters higher in the tiers. I think it would be easier to talk out each character's strengths and weaknesses and matchups if we try to find the very best first.

Second of all, I apologize for insinuating that SRK is stupid. It's my fault for being ignorant....the problem isn't your stupidity, it's the fact that you guys clearly suck at brawl.

Third of all, there were so many contradictions in your tier list that I almost passed out...if you want to show me your tier list again, I'll see if I can fix it up, but it was pretty messed up :)
Bottom tier won't exist? One will always exist, it's just that in more balanced out games the difference will be more minimal. If you think SRK sucks at Brawl then you truly are ignorant, please don't comment on a community you know nothing about. If you want to take a shot at fixing our tier list then go ahead. I have nothing against you, but you truly are ignorant and arrogant.

2DLogic

Smash Cadet
And so shows the maturity of a great deal of this community... Don't agree with something? Don't discuss why, just call it "n00b", "stupid", or say it "sucks at the game"!
Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, obviously this isn't directed at everyone so if you feel it's unwarranted you've probably got enough common sense to think back on your posts and know that it's not applicable to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom