• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Tiers 'r for queers :D
Excellent.

The amount of evidence you supplied to an argument I believed was set in stone and could never be proved wrong has actually been disproved. How you supplied enough facts to leave me speechless is truly unbelievable. I shall never argue that tiers exist ever again as long as I am on Smashboards, the GameFAQ's Brawl Boards, or any other forum.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Excellent.

The amount of evidence you supplied to an argument I believed was set in stone and could never be proved wrong has actually been disproved. How you supplied enough facts to leave me speechless is truly unbelievable. I shall never argue that tiers exist ever again as long as I am on Smashboards, the GameFAQ's Brawl Boards, or any other forum.

You forgot to flame him for homophobia. >_<

Ace55

Smash Lord
3-7 is not really doing okay. Grab release side B ftw!
Seeing as Wario has a very nice anti grab game this matchup is at least doable. A lot of stages limit how much the opponent can abuse the release crap (pokemon stadium 2 ftw, although it's banned in Holland :(). Giving him only one really bad matchup in the top 7, Dedede's chaingrab + grab release + grab range is just too much.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Seeing as Wario has a very nice anti grab game this matchup is at least doable. A lot of stages limit how much the opponent can abuse the release crap (pokemon stadium 2 ftw, although it's banned in Holland :(). Giving him only one really bad matchup in the top 7, Dedede's chaingrab + grab release + grab range is just too much.
But it's not just the grab that gives Marth the advantage and you know that. He can also still grab release to fair or nair even if there are platforms (if the platforms aren't too high). I guess I wouldn't call it a really bad matchup, but it's a bad matchup nonetheless.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
olimar has only one match-up in his favor in the top group, d3, that's it, there is no way he's higher up than wario. lol, no.
Olimar is a better overall character. Wario has grab release exploits against him and an infinite. This moves him way down.

even if wario does get infinited by those 8 characters, you can always just use meta against them, none of those characters besides ZSS fair well against him, heck even if they have the infinite on wario, wario's a pain to grab anyways, yea he'll get grabbed eventually, but it's not a sure way to do so

That's another character, not wario. >_> You're saying Sonic is top tier b/c you can just use MK against every one of his bad matchups? correct?

how often are they used in tournaments, besides i've never heard of those characters having infinites on him until now...so i don't know

olimar does well against snake, not enough for an advantage though, it's roughly even

Olimar has the advantage on snake. It's not even. Everything about the matchup except kill power gives Olimar the advantage.
let me dig up Olimar's and Lucarios.

Olimar:

ROB=7:3 ROB
Many olimars think it's not as bad. maybe 40/60. In my matchup thread, I'm going to change it soon.
Snake: 5:5 IMO 6:4 Olimar/even
It's advantage Olimar.
Marth:6:4 Marth
yes
Falco:5:5 Even
yes
G&W:55:45 G&W
yes
DDD: 60:35 Olimar
It's about 65/35 Olimar
MK: 40-60 MK
yes. no matter what people say, MK has the advantage.

These are his high tier matchups, which happen to be very good.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Excellent.

Don't feed the troll.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Olimar is a better overall character. Wario has grab release exploits against him and an infinite. This moves him way down.
[sarcasm]Olimar has a gimpable recovery and is very light. This moves him way down.[/sarcasm]

mood4food77

Smash Hero
if wario is that bad

how come futile was able to go through tournaments going straight wario, same with reflex? there are other wario players out there who try to go all wario until meeting a d3

while olimar players cannot

think about it

yea wario has grab release crap done to him, but if you're not d3, you're going to have a pain in the @$$ time grabbing him, even marth, 3-7 against marth is too much, at worst, i'd put it 6-4, and also being the only safe counterpick to snake means something

and honostly, snake is a top tier character, if you're not wario or even DK, there's no way you have an advantage over him, they could be even, but i don't see them having an advantage

gantrain05

Smash Master
if wario is that bad

how come futile was able to go through tournaments going straight wario, same with reflex?

why olimar players cannot
i dont think anybody ever said that wario was bad, just that he doesn't deserve to be as high as some wario mains are saying he should be.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
besides yoshi, who below ROB does he have a bad match-up with? and yoshi can be considered even

olimar has bad match-ups against ness and peach

Mmac

Smash Lord
@popsofctown: True, but if you're switching to Zelda for your kills, then you are not repersenting Sheik as a whole. Sheik without Zelda just has poor KO'ing ability, which will take a good while until the opponent will finally die. Honestly, I think we should put in Sheik, Zelda, and Sheik/Zelda as separate Characters on the Tier list. Kinda like NoobSmoke from Mortal Kombat.

@mood4food77: You're underestimating Yoshi's Pivot Grabs. It's probably one of the best ranged grabs in the game (On par with Olimar), and one of the best overall grabs in the game in general. Yoshi can snag people like flies, even if you are careful about it.

Also Fox has an advantage over Snake

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Above Average
----------------------
Metaknight
Snake
Game & Watch
Dedede
Wario
Marth
Falco
Rob
Peach
Olimar
Diddy Kong
---------------------
Average
---------------------
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Fox
Sheik/Zelda
Pit
Wolf
Zero Suit Samus
Toon Link
Ike
----------------------
Below Average
----------------------
Ness
Pokemon Trainer
Mario
Lucas
Link
Luigi
Bowser
Samus
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Sonic

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
::TOP::
-Diddy Kong
-Falco
-Marth
-Meta Knight
-Olimar
-Pit
-R.O.B.
-Toon Link
-Wolf

::HIGH::
-Fox
-Ike
-King Dedede
-Kirby
-Lucas
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Ness
-Pikachu
-Samus
-Snake
-Zelda

::MID::
-Charizard
-Donkey Kong
-Ivysaur
-Link
-Lucario
-Luigi
-Mario
-Peach
-Sheik
-Sonic
-Squirtle
-Wario
-Zero Suit Samus

::LOW::
-Ice Climbers
-Jigglypuff

::BOTTOM::
-Bowser
-Captain Falcon
-Ganondorf
-Yoshi

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Wario > Marth, falco, ROB???
IC's, Peach > Olimar, Lucario, Kongs, Wolf, Pika, ...???
Fox, Sheik > Wolf???
Zamus > TLink???
Link > Luigi???
CF, Ganon > Sonic???
PT, Ike > Mario???
Exactly. except i changed my mind on ICs. They can infinite people, but once nana is dead it's game over.

SwordmasterXXXI

Smash Journeyman
-Diddy Kong
-Falco
-Marth
-Meta Knight
-Olimar
-Pit
-R.O.B.
-Toon Link
-Wolf

-Fox
-Ike
-King Dedede
-Kirby
-Lucas
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Ness
-Pikachu
-Samus
-Snake
-Zelda

-Charizard
-Donkey Kong
-Ivysaur
-Link
-Lucario
-Luigi
-Mario
-Peach
-Sheik
-Sonic
-Squirtle
-Wario
-Zero Suit Samus

-Ice Climbers
-Jigglypuff

-Bowser
-Captain Falcon
-Ganondorf
-Yoshi

Wow, just wow. Is this a joke list? >_>

Mmac

Smash Lord
proof? arguments?
I saw it on their matchup forum. This is what they said:

Snake- Im sure some of you are dying to know how snake, one of the games best characters, has a hard time vs fox. Here is why:
First, you need to fight snake in a certain way, and your blaster is crucial in this matchup.
Blaster spam him. Your blasters blow up his grenades, negating them, and it slows down his nikita missle. This will force snake to approach you, usually by a mortarslide. Be ready for it, dodge or shield it, and go for a shieldgrab or dash attack/dair to utilt combo. Your utilt crushes snake, since he’s so heavy. Your combos work against him well, so use them. As for the broken ftilt and broken utilt; never, NEVER take them head on. You wont win. Against Ftilt, dodge and grab, or shield the whole thing. Utilt is his best weapon against you. It can kill you as early as 103%(I know this from personal experience). Stay away from it. Edgeguarding is hard against him, since he gets the stupid super armor frames on his upB. You can still pull an fair on him and get some damage though. Shieldgrabbing helps a lot in this matchup as well. One last tip, if you die, and snake has a mine on the field, run to it and detontate it while you are still invulnerable.
If it's wrong, yell at them, not me >_>

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the characters are in alphabetical order with in their rankings.
Eh....... No, you just Faild

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
In case you haven't figured it out yet, the characters are in alphabetical order with in their rankings.
But they shouldn't be. In each ranking (Top, High, Mid, Low, Bottom), the character's position is also important. Being at the first place of, for example, the mid tier is different from being at the last place of that tier. This gives a completely wrong impression.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
But they shouldn't be. In each ranking (Top, High, Mid, Low, Bottom), the character's position is also important. Being at the first place of, for example, the mid tier is different from being at the last place of that tier. This gives a completely wrong impression.
That's pointless, because it's impossible to come up with an exact order from best to worst. Take Melee for example. Is Fox better than Marth? Maybe.... But some people would probably argue that Marth is better. As a matter of fact, for a long time Marth was ranked number one on the tiers. You could never win an argunment on whether Marth is better than Fox no matter which side you took. It would just be a matter of personal preference.

On the other hand, no one who knew what they were talking about could argue that Mewtwo is better than Fox. You may just happen to like Mewtwo, but there's no question that Fox is a much better character as far as competitive potential goes.

So it's pointless to try to make an exact order of rankings and say "this guy is #1, this guy is #2, this guy is #3...", because you can never prove it and you can never come up with a list that everyone agrees on.

What you could do is divide the characters into groups based on their overall potential and say that characters in one group are generally better than characters in another group.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
if wario is that bad

how come futile was able to go through tournaments going straight wario, same with reflex? there are other wario players out there who try to go all wario until meeting a d3

Wario isn't bad. He's just not as high as you think he is. Futile and Reflex are just good players. The grab release and chaingrab crud hadn't been discovered yet. They're doing worse now. Reflex has picked up PT. I don't know about Futile.

while olimar players cannot

??? Why not? I do. >_>
besides yoshi, who below ROB does he have a bad match-up with? and yoshi can be considered even

olimar has bad match-ups against ness and peach
What's your point. Rob loses to Mario, GaW loses to TL, and DDD loses to Sheik.
10greenletters

Mmac

Smash Lord
But even with your ranking system, it still greatly fails. Lets take a look

-Diddy Kong
-Falco
-Marth
-Meta Knight
-Olimar
-Pit
-R.O.B.
-Toon Link
-Wolf
First of all, Diddy, Olimar, and Toon Link shouldn't be in Top Tier. Wolf and Pit shouldn't be anywhere near it in the first place

-Fox
-Ike
-King Dedede
-Kirby
-Lucas
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Ness
-Pikachu
-Samus
-Snake
-Zelda
Second, Snake, Game & Watch and Dedede underneath 8 people that don't deserve to be above him? Samus in High Tier? I know she's underestimated, but she should be nowhere near High Tier. Ike is beyond overated. In fact, he might actually be the worst. Fox, Lucas, Ness, and Zelda should be a tier lower.

-Charizard
-Donkey Kong
-Ivysaur
-Link
-Lucario
-Luigi
-Mario
-Peach
-Sheik
-Sonic
-Squirtle
-Wario
-Zero Suit Samus
One thing that bothers me is that PT Is separated. You can't separate them because it's impossible. Link I don't think is Mid Tier Material. Lucario should be higher. Same with Wario and ZSS. I dunno, this entire part seems like a mess

-Ice Climbers
-Jigglypuff

-Bowser
-Captain Falcon
-Ganondorf
-Yoshi
Now, Why is Low Tier so small? And Ice Climbers 6th-5th Worst?!? Are you kidding me? Also Bowser and Yoshi should be nowhere near the Bottom.

The entire list is just flawed

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
That's pointless, because it's impossible to come up with an exact order from best to worst. Take Melee for example. Is Fox better than Marth? Maybe.... But some people would probably argue that Marth is better. As a matter of fact, for a long time Marth was ranked number one on the tiers. You could never win an argunment on whether Marth is better than Fox no matter which side you took. It would just be a matter of personal preference.

On the other hand, no one who knew what they were talking about could argue that Mewtwo is better than Fox. You may just happen to like Mewtwo, but there's no question that Fox is a much better character as far as competitive potential goes.

So it's pointless to try to make an exact order of rankings and say "this guy is #1, this guy is #2, this guy is #3...", because you can never prove it and you can never come up with a list that everyone agrees on.

What you could do is divide the characters into groups based on their overall potential and say that characters in one group are generally better than characters in another group.
Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's impossible. In fact, most of the discussion is centered around where the characters belong, and part of establishing an accurate tier list is establishing an absolute order.

It changes, but Fox is still the melee top char.

As the metagame becomes more firm, the absolute order will become more clear, in the meantime, we debate to see.

Regardless, MK is alone in top tier, he's clearly the best character atm, the gap is large enough that everyone else needs to be shunted down to high tier.

The sacred 7 make up high tier, because again there's a very clear differentiation between them and every other character in the game. MK makes up top, the rest of them make up high.

That's for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom