• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmac

Smash Lord
INB4YOSHIBRIGADE!

I like how Yoshi sucks, and, if you point out that simple fact, then you are attacked by a wave of youngsters too young to enter scrub tournaments.
I'm 19. You think all of us Yoshi Mains are just little kids who like cute things and have no idea what the hell what we're talking about?

Tournaments shouldn't have an age limit, and, if they do, that means whoever is running it is just a big douche who needs to learn that good players can be any age. When I was 19, I went to Tuscon and got my *** handed to me by this 14 or 15-year old who plays Jigglypuff. Had he not been allowed to play in tournaments, I can tell you that Pound 3 would have turned out differently. That's dumb.
I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I can't go to tournaments because i'm in such an isolated location and have to pay hundreds of dollars to actually do so.

Back tot he point though, Yoshi doesn't have much going for him. Obviously, he is limited in recovery issues, like I said, or you can at least admit that when you compre that to other characters. Yes, Snake is in a similar situation, but at least he has the C4 thing and the grenades to use as recovery. He has further options. He doesn't. When someone gets knocked off, you don't have to worry about if they are going to use their double jump and then Up B or just Up B or just Double jump. You KNOW Yoshi is going to double jump. At least in Melee he could air dodge towards the stage, but they took that out.
Why use Pit when you can MetaKnight or Snake? Why don't we all just use Snake or MK? Yoshi's Recovery, probably for the 4th time, Isn't that limited. I have rarely have problems recovering with Yoshi. And you do know that Yoshi can still airdodge during his DJ and it doesn't cancel it out. It's not like it mysteriously disappeared for one character.

Where do you play as Yoshi? If you go air, most of those moves can be stopped by a solid ground move. His legs are stubbly, and don't give him much range. The closest thing to that is his tail, but it is also short in the air.
You'll be surprised on the range of his Bair, you really would. And I seen way stubbier legs and you don't complain about those

His up air can hit consecutively, but what is he going to do afterwards? Fair? Plus, hitstun is so low now that it is really hard to keep someone in any group of hits. It'll be really hard to U air and then DJC U air before they can airdodge or anything.
Uair only combo's during low %'s. During Higher, it becomes a Kill Move. Besides, Bair is his comboer, not the Uair. And Fair? Fair isn't a good attack at all, even I know that. I only use it for Spiking, but only when I know I have a clear shot. Otherwise I use a Rising Fair against people who are above.

If you go on the ground, then you have problems too. He's not the fastest character, but he does good. However, his moves are slow to cool-down. After you down smash, forward smash, and up smash, there's a moment where he sits there waiting for anyone who spot-dodged to punish him.
You think all he has is Smashes? Seriously?

The egg toss leaves him open and it's not like the egg is hard to dodge, even though you can angle it. Plus, what is Yoshi going to do when it does hit you? Throw another or dash attack. That's about all of his options.
Egg's aren't meant to be a CQC Projectile and you'll be a fool to think otherwise. It's mostly used as an Anti-Air, or Counter-Spam projectile anyways, or to put pressure on the opponent.

And reason why I say the draconic reverse doesn't do anything is because we have to remember that this a defensive game. If you use this to get in close to someone then, then you had better hope they don't do ANY move. The best use it has is running away from hits, but you can't do it, unless I can be proven wrong, to punish people. You can't go back and forth so fast as to hit a few people out of their Smashes.
So your telling me that people will always expect a sliding Yoshi coming straight at you as fast as a dash with a Smash? Hey that rymed :laugh: . I dunno, I don't even use it. I find it Not worth putting Tap Jump on.

His forward B did get a buff, not everything in the world knocks him out of it now. Question, can you grab him out of it with a normal, non tether grab? In either case, the move is still bad, unless the other person has horrible timing. All you have to do is set it up like baseball and hit him out of the park!
Not much comment here. This is actually one of the few (and by few, I mean only) points I actually agree with. But not every Yoshi is going to spam the dammed thing. Works as a Good Projectile Shield too, but I mainly use it to escape from a tough spot.

His Down B is also bad. The only good use it has accumulated over the game has been to grab the edge. Woopty Do. If Yoshi is high over the edge, I EXPECT THEM TO DO IT. That's why, in Melee, I would go off the edge and hit Yoshi until he had to do something. If you wait for him to get back, he can take more risks with weird moves to get weird results. So doing nothing is a bad idea: doing anything is a much better idea. Plus there's the stuff about how he can't jump out of his shield.
Who said Yoshi could only use DownB in the air? It works much better on the Ground. And I am so sick of this "Jump out of Shield" nonsense! I don't even do it with "Normal" Shields.

Is he so bad that he's unplayable? No, you can play him and get a few stocks off. Hey, you may even win a match or two against your friends or even in a tournament, but I don't expect to see Yoshi doing anything in the competitive scene, at least at this point. that's why he's low.
You know how bad I want to be in the Completive scene because I'm tired of the **** scene being run by people by you. of course I'm stuck on some **** Island where I have to pay $200+ to visit the mainland.

No one plays him, he doesn't have anything going for him, and he doesn't have good results. Yoshi sucks. He sucks. you may not suck, but he does.
Terrible, Terrible sentence, you should be ashamed of yourself for posting such illogical words -_-

Go win that tournament and prove me wrong, and,. if you can, record it for the world to see!
Give me $200 and I'll gladly will

However, I'll be here to pat you on the back when you don't make it out of pools when a few hundred Snakes/MK show up and beat you. It's crazy how popular and good they are, and you just have to dace the fact you are going to be facing them at the end of the day. Good luck, and Yoshi sucks.
Science Fact: Yoshi is actually Even(ish) against MK due to Good Counters, and he does do against Snake quite well despite his Brokenness.

Also thank you for putting into neat paragraphs. At least you know how to use English

Also Saying people who play Yoshi instantly Suck at smash is the equivalent of saying that MK or Snake players are nothing more than Tourny whores. Your nothing more than a common troll who cant face the fact that your just plain wrong and trying desperately anything trying to maintain your dignity.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Get well Corey...

/sympathy

Well Yoshi mainers, I still can't believe that he is higher than bottom of low until I see some results. Even if you claim he better than thought, I need some proof. I do think his comboing game is nice though.

Edit- woah didn't see that big dissection there, Mmac. Way to back your char up. No sarcasm.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
I don't play any Yoshi's because my friends don't suck at Smash. You think he doesn't suck just because you DON'T WANT him to suck.

See what I did there?
(this guy is over 19?XD)
Yes I did. (Hmm, funny. I don't suck at smash. Not with Melee then, nor with brawl now.)
And for one thing, I use Yoshi. So I know what he can and can't do. You're proven that you only go by words. (Unless you have played against people that aren't experience with Yoshi or ***** the CPU.*That's news.* You said your friends don't use him so I'm guessing the CPU. OMG Yoshi users play just like CPU's it all make sense now!). Play against a actual Yoshi main, then start foaming at the mouth on how a character sucks. Until then, you're no better than most noobs that come on here and randomly saids a character sucks.

Corigames

Smash Hero
INB4YOSHIBRIGADE!
Too late, you are already apart of the flame wall that is the Yoshi legion. Deal with it.
I'm 19. You think all of us Yoshi Mains are just little kids who like cute things and have no idea what the hell what we're talking about?
Did I say that? No, that and the rest of that paragraph had to deal with him saying that he was turned down at a tournament for being too young, so I told him that's stupid. If someone says you are too young to play, they can go lick Mango's balls... once they drop.
I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I can't go to tournaments because i'm in such an isolated location and have to pay hundreds of dollars to actually do so.
No Johns. and, if you haven't been to a tournament, what are you doing arguing the aspects of Yoshi if you haven't used them a gainst good people you've never played before... for money?
Why use Pit when you can MetaKnight or Snake? Why don't we all just use Snake or MK?
Because not all of us like to play as them :/
Yoshi's Recovery, probably for the 4th time,
Doesn't matter how many times you say it...
Isn't that limited. I have rarely have problems recovering with Yoshi.
You've never been to a tournament. Computers aren't the biggest on edgeguarding you know >_>
And you do know that Yoshi can still airdodge during his DJ and it doesn't cancel it out. It's not like it mysteriously disappeared for one character.
I know, it also disappeared for Pit and ROB.
You'll be surprised on the range of his Bair, you really would. And I seen way stubbier legs and you don't complain about those
I don't think I would be surprised, because I've seen it. But it's no where near the range of a some attacks. He just has no range anywhere except on his smashes.
Uair only combo's during low %'s. During Higher, it becomes a Kill Move. Besides, Bair is his comboer, not the Uair. And Fair? Fair isn't a good attack at all, even I know that. I only use it for Spiking, but only when I know I have a clear shot. Otherwise I use a Rising Fair against people who are above.
Ok, and this changes what?He is still going to get hit out of almost any of those attacks, if not all of them, because of the low histun.
You think all he has is Smashes? Seriously?
I know, I'm such a ******* for saying that. What was I thinking? Oh wait... I didn't say that. You are putting words in my mouth.
So your telling me that people will always expect a sliding Yoshi coming straight at you as fast as a dash with a Smash? Hey that rymed :laugh: . I dunno, I don't even use it. I find it Not worth putting Tap Jump on.
Probably not, but how is that different from expecting them to dash attack? It's about the same spacing.. so I would be prepared. What would be really impressive is if you ran at me with it, DRed back, wait for me to react, and then punish. But that's never going to happen. You can't do it fast enough... or at least so I have seen from every video about it.
Who said Yoshi could only use DownB in the air? It works much better on the Ground. And I am so sick of this "Jump out of Shield" nonsense! I don't even do it with "Normal" Shields.
Yeah... much better. To the point where you are almost guaranteed a shield grab!
And just because you don't do it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't >_>
You know how bad I want to be in the Completive scene because I'm tired of the **** scene being run by people by you. of course I'm stuck on some **** Island where I have to pay $200+ to visit the mainland.
I don't run the scene. Do you see my back room label? I don't. I don't even really play Brawl... I just research and look at things in it to argue why Melee is better and why we should all play that instead. I'm tired of the **** community being ruined by people like you. People who think that because they love a character that they can win overall. this isn't a dream, fantasy, or hallucination. You can't dream results to life. You have to work on them. If you want Yoshi to do good, you have to play good people. You have to win at tournaments, you have to find secrets, and most of all, you have to have love for the game.
Also thank you for putting into neat paragraphs. At least you know how to use English
Thanks, I try. There's no use in typing up anything if people can't or don't want to read it.
Also Saying people who play Yoshi instantly Suck at smash is the equivalent of saying that MK or Snake players are nothing more than Tourny whores.
I guess you forgot the part where I said that Yoshi sucks, but the people who play him may not. I think if you do play as him, you either have a lot of balls to push him far, but otherwise you are just doing it for fan reasons.
Your nothing more than a common troll who cant face the fact that your just plain wrong and trying desperately anything trying to maintain your dignity.
You're (Notice the correct homonym being used >_>) nothing more than a new person who can't get over the fact that he is stuck with a bad character. Instead of accepting this fact and trying to continue to win and get him higher through tourny placings, you instead would fight over his crappy moves in an attempt to give him a better name. And no, I have no dignity. I have humiliation, respect, resolve, and charisma, but I have no dignity.
I don't suck at smash. Not with Melee then, nor with brawl now.
doubt it... 08 :D
Play against a actual Yoshi main, then start foaming at the mouth on how a character sucks. Until then, you're no better than most noobs that come on here and randomly saids a character sucks.
Yeah, playing a real Yoshi main would help. However, there is a thing called youtube and the Yoshi character boards. I think I'm a little bit higher than the average 08 guy here. I know the moves, I know the options, and, unlike them, I deem them as bad.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
(this guy is over 19?XD)
Yes I did. (Hmm, funny. I don't suck at smash. Not with Melee then, nor with brawl now.)
And for one thing, I use Yoshi. So I know what he can and can't do. You're proven that you only go by words. (Unless you have played against people that aren't experience with Yoshi or ***** the CPU.*That's news.* You said your friends don't use him so I'm guessing the CPU. OMG Yoshi users play just like CPU's it all make sense now!). Play against a actual Yoshi main, then start foaming at the mouth on how a character sucks. Until then, you're no better than most noobs that come on here and randomly saids a character sucks.
How many tournaments have you won?

Amide

Smash Lord
@ itsthebigfoot

You put Pit way low and Lucario a little low, for the most part, it's a good list.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
With all of the vitriol and venom between Lobelia and Corey, bottom line is indubitably boiled down to this. How many tournaments have YOU won with Yoshi? And no, online ones do NOT count.

Fact of the matter is this: Yoshi isn't really performing that well at a high level. It's evident in many areas: Ankoku's tourney data, various tournies, and general consensus. Corey (arguably) is one of the few people in this thread that has been to more than one Brawl tourney (and has actually played good people. Azn_Leap and Forward are two good examples). He is pitting his knowledge, his experience, versus YOUR inexperience in high-end play.

Not to sound like an *** or anything, but seriously. If Yoshi has all of these good traits, go out and win a couple of (offline) tournies. Somebody PLEASE prove us wrong. That's all we're sayin'.

Smooth Criminal

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Three for Melee. Two so far for brawl. I participated in 10. None of them were huge million dollar tournments, (I live in Gainesville florida. No massive tournments in sight. None were in jacksonville as well.-_-; )but the other player were still very experience. None of the typical "run blind into the fight morons", but the more tactical players.

I'm not trying to say Yoshi is the best Smash bros. character ever. He's my best. I'm just saying that people should play against experience yoshi users before just clearifying that he's cream of the crap. I know how to use him. I still recieve buttkickings like anyone else. I just suck it up, learn from may mistakes and move on.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
err... I'm assuming everyone in this thread has been to multiple tourneys and hasn't been embarrassed. >___> If not, bye.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Three for Melee. Two so far for brawl. I participated in 10. None of them were huge million dollar tournments, (I live in Gainesville florida. No massive tournments in sight. None were in jacksonville as well.-_-;)but the other player were still very experience. None of the typical "run blind into the fight morons", but the more tactical players.
Man up and head to Clearwater, Tampa, or Orlando. That's where most of your talent is. Gainesville is very sparse and I don't think Jacksonville has any reputable smashers.

'Course, that could be hard on anybody not made of money. >____>

Smooth Criminal

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Man up and head to Clearwater, Tampa, or Orlando. That's where most of your talent is. Gainesville is very sparse and I don't think Jacksonville has any reputable smashers.

'Course, that could be hard on anybody not made of money. >____>

Smooth Criminal
Can't I'm in college. summer AIM Program. No car or enough money for travel. I'm screwed with that option. -_-; my education>Smashbros.

And I don't judge by that crap of a online server. Ever tried playing with Yoshi and lag? I kill myself before my opponent can get the chance. -_-; I can light them up one match, then the next match, they are pissed at me for offing myself a lot. I had all orange and red connections. I was lucky to get a yellow one. -_-;

Corigames

Smash Hero
And I don't have plane tickets for balls. I know what you mean.

I would like to hold a tournament here, but no one in AZ is willing to help me. They only want to play Brawl... so I kinda disowned them :3

Mmac

Smash Lord
Too late, you are already apart of the flame wall that is the Yoshi legion. Deal with it.
Horray!

Did I say that? No, that and the rest of that paragraph had to deal with him saying that he was turned down at a tournament for being too young, so I told him that's stupid. If someone says you are too young to play, they can go lick Mango's balls... once they drop.
Who?

No Johns. and, if you haven't been to a tournament, what are you doing arguing the aspects of Yoshi if you haven't used them a gainst good people you've never played before... for money?
Who says there isn't good people on Wi-Fi?

You've never been to a tournament. Computers aren't the biggest on edgeguarding you know >_>
Yes, All I do is sit all day playing against computers, because Computers are such representation of Skill.

I don't even play against CPU's anymore. I play against Friends. GOOD Friends who actually know how to play the game.

I know, it also disappeared for Pit and ROB.
Do I have to spell it out to you? YOSHI. CAN. AIRDODGE. DURING. HIS. SECOND. JUMP! Why should I take you seriously when you don't even know the character your trying to bash

I don't think I would be surprised, because I've seen it. But it's no where near the range of a some attacks. He just has no range anywhere except on his smashes.
He's got range. It doesn't matter if he has super long range like Snake or Marth, he still has decent range compared to most character

Ok, and this changes what?He is still going to get hit out of almost any of those attacks, if not all of them, because of the low histun.
It doesn't matter, he can reach them before the hitstun runs out.

I know, I'm such a ******* for saying that. What was I thinking? Oh wait... I didn't say that. You are putting words in my mouth.
Oh really?

his moves are slow to cool-down. After you down smash, forward smash, and up smash, there's a moment where he sits there waiting for anyone who spot-dodged to punish him.
This is all you said. Yoshi has things called "Tilts" and "Jabs". You you probably don't know he had those too.

Probably not, but how is that different from expecting them to dash attack? It's about the same spacing.. so I would be prepared. What would be really impressive is if you ran at me with it, DRed back, wait for me to react, and then punish. But that's never going to happen. You can't do it fast enough... or at least so I have seen from every video about it.
I dunno, I don't use DR's. If you want better reasons, go talk to Bigman, He knows alot about that than I do.

Yeah... much better. To the point where you are almost guaranteed a shield grab!
And just because you don't do it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't >_>
Ok, Yoshi isn't a Shield Grab character. His Standing Grab is just way tooooooooooooooo slow for that. Yoshi is a Pivot Grab Character, which works just as well or even better. In fact Yoshi's Pivot Grab is Probably tied with Olimar for the best grab in the game. Oh and don't even bother with that "pivot grabs are too situational" stuff because we use a Technique to activate it while standing, just like a standard Grab. You be amazed (but probably won't) on how it screws up most people approachs

I don't run the scene. Do you see my back room label? I don't. I don't even really play Brawl... I just research and look at things in it to argue why Melee is better and why we should all play that instead. I'm tired of the **** community being ruined by people like you. People who think that because they love a character that they can win overall. this isn't a dream, fantasy, or hallucination. You can't dream results to life. You have to work on them. If you want Yoshi to do good, you have to play good people. You have to win at tournaments, you have to find secrets, and most of all, you have to have love for the game.
There's a reason why I come here and defend and the other Yoshi users that come here. Because Yoshi REALLY ISN'T THAT HORRIBLE. If he was, Then I would accept it, but He has potential. He's not completely crap or unplayable as you say he is. But were not being like "DUD3! Y0S1H 15 L13K T0P T3IR LOLOLLLOL". We just want people to be fair. But your not, and that's why we defend

I guess you forgot the part where I said that Yoshi sucks, but the people who play him may not. I think if you do play as him, you either have a lot of balls to push him far, but otherwise you are just doing it for fan reasons.
Yeah, well Gordon Freeman or Nathan Spencer isn't in Brawl, so I gotta make do with what I got.

You're (Notice the correct homonym being used >_>) nothing more than a new person who can't get over the fact that he is stuck with a bad character. Instead of accepting this fact and trying to continue to win and get him higher through tourny placings, you instead would fight over his crappy moves in an attempt to give him a better name. And no, I have no dignity. I have humiliation, respect, resolve, and charisma, but I have no dignity.
I just came here because Brawl Central changed and is no longer a Brawl Forum. I know how to play and fight. I'm not some random noob who just picked up the game

Yeah, playing a real Yoshi main would help. However, there is a thing called youtube and the Yoshi character boards. I think I'm a little bit higher than the average 08 guy here. I know the moves, I know the options, and, unlike them, I deem them as bad.
You know, Judging 08's is almost bad as the GameFAQ'ers who judge people on Karma. As sad as it may sound, I actually agree somewhat. only a few of the Yoshi's I've face actually posed a threat against me. But I like to see how you handle a REAL Yoshi like me, Bigman, or
yoshiunity

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
And I don't have plane tickets for balls. I know what you mean.

I would like to hold a tournament here, but no one in AZ is willing to help me. They only want to play Brawl... so I kinda disowned them :3
Well...
how much would you need exactly?

Whoa, you're pretty passionate about this. I'd offer you some help if I could, hombre, but I'm not exactly the kinda chick that has hundred-dollar bills in her cleavage, you know?
We all know you keep them somewhere else.

The bank for example.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, you're pretty passionate about this. I'd offer you some help if I could, hombre, but I'm not exactly the kinda chick that has hundred-dollar bills in her cleavage, you know?
you would have hundred dollar bills in your cleavage if you showed us your **** like you promised a million years ago.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
a long time ago we had a discussion about you pm'ing everyone pictures of your chest.

it was many weeks ago, i'm not surprised you don't remember it.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
That's a bit too far, man. Lets keep this thread with at least a shred of maturity, aye? Anyways, I wished I lived close to a tourney scene. The Tri-City is pretty much in the middle of two good scenes: nor cal and socal. Most tourneys are an hour drive away, so how am I supposed to convince parents to drive that for to play a video game?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
CC dtilt or dsmah
WIN
LMAO.

I <3 you, Grunt.

Edit:

That's a bit too far, man. Lets keep this thread with at least a shred of maturity, aye? Anyways, I wished I lived close to a tourney scene. The Tri-City is pretty much in the middle of two good scenes: nor cal and socal. Most tourneys are an hour drive away, so how am I supposed to convince parents to drive that for to play a video game?
Turn eighteen.

And honestly, an hour isn't that far away. >____>

Smooth Criminal

Corigames

Smash Hero
Smooth Criminal's glaring eyes just keep getting bigger and bigger. Pretty soon they are going to cover the whole page.

ROFL at the Wall of Text battle between Corey and the Yoshi brigade.

TL:DR: I choose YOU

Edit:Note to self:NEVER EVER GO LONG PERIODS OF TIME WITHOUT PLAYING MELEE EVER AGAIN, I WILL SUCK BADLY!

Edit2:This thread has gotten WAYYYYY out of hand >_>

Edit3:LOL at Grunt

Edit4:Dallas has an okay scene, but Houston's is MUCH better at a glance .

Onxy

Smash Lord
Yoshi has no range even on his smashes. All of his ground range comes from his Tilts.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I get the feeling that Grunt changes mains with the days of the week. One day it's Yoshi, the next it's Sheik, and now it's Falco.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
you would have hundred dollar bills in your cleavage if you showed us your **** like you promised a million years ago.

Seriously.

*sigh*
Some jokes are just...bad.

on topic: DIDDY KONG! e once thought Diddy has so much promise and many do agree him being high tier material. Yet with his game being so momentum based and how his bananas can be turned against him, should we be surprised at how he is doing in the tourneys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom