• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

viparagon

Smash Ace
Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my list besides "Marth is too low" I have "heard by going over the site before I joined and I would appeciate if someone tried to refute my arguments. I believe Fox is better than wolf and ROB is better than ddd. I'm not saying i'm right, i just want someone to tell me why. I don't think I know more than the people here srry for the misunderstanding. I'm eager to learn

chckn

Smash Ace
Why dont we start and try to agree on a common tier list at least for top and high. Imo top and high tier are pretty much set but if anyone has any EDUCATED reason as to why it shouldnt be this I would love to hear it.

top: snake
metaknight

high: GW
Falco
R.O.B
Marth
DDD

Browny

Smash Hater
A lot of us are doing are research, lurking around the boards, experimenting with things, watching videos,
ok stop right there. i can think of one person who posts here (st viers) who shows signs of actually researching characters moves and watching videos, everyone else just continues to assume what they were told 3 months ago, and refuses to acknowledge any videos provided to argue a case.

Corigames

Smash Hero
The problem is that I can't say what character goes where right now beyond the top two. There hasn't been a major international tournament or tour to decide who is the best and those to follow shortly after. Everyone here could come up with 20-30 different yet somewhat similar tier lists and they would all be fairly accurate, at least so to your local scene. That's why coming to a conclusion on a tier list, right now, doesn't seem like a good idea to me. However, you can make assumed tier lists based off what current top placings characters get. The problem is that one thread already did that, I think they keep it up to date. So there isn't a point in making your own yet unless you are just making a prediction.

In which case, your tier list is fine.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Top Tier
Snake, Metaknight

Top tier seems fairly undisputed. ---> **** right it is

Very High tier
Mr Game and Watch
Marth I wonder, should Marth really be above Falco here? I'd like to see what you guys think. <-Yes. at least I think so Agreed.
Falco - Switch ROB and Falco, ROB has better match-ups and is just better overall
R.O.B.

This part of High tier seems undisputed also. Each of them have amazing matchups and do fairly well in tournaments. Not to mention they are just naturally good characters.

Disputed Very High and High tier
Toon Link- has a lot of good matchups, good character overall and does alright in tournaments

Pit – Has more good matchups than toon link but also more bad ones. Places better than Toon link in tournaments. Just a question--this means he has less neutral, or the bad/bad matchups are more severe? (Pit has 24 good matchups, 9 neutral, and 5 bad ones) He has more neutral matchups and more bad ones than toonlink)<-thanks I wouldn't put TOO much faith in IvanEva's list. True, while it's an overall good source of information, it's far from perfect and has quite a bit of flaws

Zelda – Has a lot of good matchups and is generally considered a great character. However she hasn’t done well at tournaments at all. In fact she is ranked 31. Low tier and Bottom tier house those that Rank under 30. Maybe Zelda does deserve only high tier. (blue for hedgedawg) She only doesn't place well in tourneys because she's innexplicably unpopular. I know I main her, so I'm biased, but she has a huge amount of good matchups, and very few bad ones. I think that if she gets a strong enough backing, she'll start winning tourneys, but as it stands, she's just too underrepresented to pull in the wins.) That seems to be changing though, she's slowly rising, and I think the Weekly disscussion topic will be on Zelda next, so we'll see what the SBR thinks about her.

Olimar- Has a lot of good matchups, ranks just slightly below Toon Link in Tournaments. He is a great character except when it comes to being off the stage. The recovery wouldn't be such a big issue if Pikman wasn't so light. Basically, anyone who can get to the edge before he's within tether range can beat him hands down. Matchups really shouldn't be this high imo. If they ever discover an AT that can quickly grab the edge, Olimar will REALLY dislike it, if it's practical enough, it may well drop him, along with other tethers. Actually you can already grab the edge easily. Run off the edge then push the control stick back towards the edge. Any character can do it some better than others. Olimar's current tier spot already has this accounted for. Even M2K stated that Olimar was top tier initially. He has fallen a few places with the discovery of his recovery but that isn't enough to keep him out of the higher part of the tier list. I personally think that since he's so easy to edgeguard & he's light, he should just be high tier. I feel he just barely misses very high tier because of that. High Tier seems about right to me

Wolf- If we weighted the matchups then olimar would just barely top Wolf. However they are so incredibly close. Wolf also ranks higher in tournaments than all those previously mentioned. His recovery isn’t that great either. He is generally considered a good character also. his recovery isn't as bad as people think--just don't try to grab the edge from above ^_^ Wolf's recovery doesn't auto sweetspot the edge not to mention the start up on up b and the ending lag on side b I consider wolf to be a decent charcter, but I've just never been particularly threatened by him. I think most of his good matchups fall in lower tiers and also most of his kill moves are also used as damage building moves leading to heavy move decay. The biggest problem I have with Wolf is that his weight combined with his fast-falling make him one of the most easily comboed characters in the game. I can see him going down from here, because his ability to be comboed ruins so many matchups. Overall, I think Wolf has one of the best overall movesets in the game, but it really is a split opinion at this point if He's going to stay this high or slightly drop due to some saying he's becoming....predictable

These characters are mixed in Very High and High tier. They don’t quite make Very High yet they seem too good for just High tier.

High
Wario- Has good bit of good matchups and some bad. I can’t ignore the fact that he ranks 4th in tournaments though. Aside from Snake, Wario easily has some of the best Mindgames potential in the Metagame so far

Pikachu-When weighted pikachu has the same matchup ranking as Wario. Yet places lower in tournaments. Pikachu should move above Wario. Even though he places lower in tournaments, he has a direct matchup advantage against Wario. He's is slightly unpopular, which could account for him placing lower than Wario. I personally feel he might move up to very high tier if people tap into the potential of QAC.

Ice Climbers-Has the same matchup ranking as Wario and Pikachu yet doesn’t do nearly as well as those two in tournaments. I think the reason that they haven't placed so well so far is because they take quite awhile to master, and with restricitions being placed on their grabs (Only in the Houston area so far, and it's only a 3 grab limit that Hylian has proven can be made into a near death combo anyway. With potential like that, they're certain to rise soon If their chaingrab gets restriced enough, they may well drop. It's not all they have, but it's a good part of it. I doubt it will be, unlike DDD's grab for the most part it requires a great amount of skill, and I'm sure the SBR would decide to keep it legal, they never really did ban wobbling is Melee didn't they, and The IC's have horible grab range to start with this might be just a little bit high for them then, since, I mean, other than the CG, what's keeping them so high? and aren't there some chars (zelda, Marth, MK, Olimar) that they are going to have a REALLY hard time getting close enough to CG? They actually have trouble getting close to a lot of characters. Their grab range is short & because their very dependant on their chaingrabs, that really hurts them. Once people learn to space better, I think they'll move down. If their chaingrabs keep getting banned, they might even drop to low tier.

King Dedede- He just doesn’t have the matchups that those above him have. In fact he has more bad then good. Again I can’t ignore how well he does at tournaments. Not to mention his amazing chaingrab skills. <-he is the paragdim of brawl characters, campy and hard to kill >_< He's good, but he has way too many bad matchups to be high tier. his tourney standings are partially due to popularity and partially to an accelerated metagame development. If he's high tier, I'd make sure he was the bottom of the high tier. Concerning the matchups issue, isn't what your saying here slightly contradictory considering what you said about Pit? I agree with Hedgedawg here. His good matchups are mainly against middle tier characters & below. Most of the high tier characters can deal with him pretty easily. He should probably be at the bottom of high at best.

Kirby – Matchup wise Kirby does better than Dedede. In fact he actually has a favorable matchup against Dedede. However Kirby just doesn’t have good matchups versus the upper tier characters. Seems a little high to me... maybe top of mid tier? I always though lucas and luigi were better I dunno, as my main I might be biased for Kirby but I think he belongs right around here, bottom of high tier at worst. His only real problem is that most characters above him have advantageous matchups against him. The fact that DK matches up well against higher tiers is the only reason people look at him so highly... why shouldn't the opposite apply to Kirby? His bad matchups in the first three tiers are Pikachu, Olimar, Zelda, Toon Link, Marth, ROB, G-Dub, MK, and Snake. Favorable matchups are Dedede, Wolf, Falco, Fox and Pit. Neutral is Wario, Diddy and the IC's. So it's a 9-5-3 ratio.This is based off personal experience, not the matchup thread, by the way.

Diddy Kong- Maybe not as good as we thought but still a decent character. He has some favorable matchups against the upper tiers. He places low in tournaments though. He still has crazy banana tactics.

Fox- Maybe even borderline mid tier. However I think he just makes high. He has more bad matchups then good and doesn’t seem to fair well against those above him.
This is the one I have the biggest problem with. He still has the huge melee following, but is completely underwhelming. Both his space animal friends completely outshine him and he has a lot of bad matchups... plus he's an easy kill at a light weight. Lucario, DK, and even ZSS definitely outperform this guy. Not sure I would say ZSS, but I think the other two do as well Lucario seems highly likely to overtake Fox but ZSS and DK seem like at this time they may be a stretch. However I can't deny that those three are moving up.

I don’t think my list for high will be generally approved by the populous. Most characters in this group are ranked above 20 except the oddball Diddy. Dedede and Fox are the only ones to have more bad then good matchups.

Middle Tier

Lucario- He matches up with some of the higher tier characters. He is ranked 20th when it comes to tournaments. He is a pretty cool character to top it off.

Zero Suit Samus- I am surprised most don’t rank her higher. She seems like she could fit into even High tier. She matches up decently with the upper tier characters and has more good matchups then bad.<-she'll rise, mark my words -viers *Marks viers' words* She's just like Zelda. Once more people look into her, she'll end up somewhere in high tier.

Lucas- He gives a couple of higher tier characters a handful and just barely has more good matchups then bad.

Donkey Kong- He may be even higher than this. From what I have heard his range gives quite a few characters some problems. He doesn’t have as good of matchups as those above him. However, For a mid tier character he has a great tournament ranking. He currently ranks 11th. When everyone else ranks in the 20’s this is noticeable.

Ness- Trying to hold onto a good tier spot after the whole chain grab incident. I really don't think Ness and Lucas are this close in skill... maybe not a full tier difference, but not a 1 charcater difference either. Luigi, for one, is better. I agree Luigi and Mario may overtake Ness.

Luigi- He gives a couple of upper tier characters some trouble. He lacks a lot of good matchus though. In terms of matchup ranking he is just below Ness.

Mario- Although buffed from Melee he still isn’t up to caliber with the rest of the cast. He has hardly any good matchups, but he is pretty neutral with almost all of the cast.

Bowser- I am sorry bowser fans, but it really pains me just to put him here. His matchups are so bad. Almost that of bottom tier characters. I just his ftilt and Bowsercide save him though. If he's almost bad enough to be bottom tier, then why bump him all the way up to mid and skip low entirely? Put him at the top of low. He's a good character, but he just lacks good matchups.

This tier was tricky to do since some characters looked like they felt more at place in low tier or bottom tier. Interesting to note, all but DK rank in the 20’s when it comes to tournaments. <-he should be in the bottom of high, for said reasons ^_^

Low
Sheik- She has the best matchups of all of them. In fact matchup wise, she seems to fit into mid tier. Her tournament ranking also seems well suited for mid tier. Switch with bowser then <- Agreed

Peach- She has a pretty good tournament ranking but her matchups aren’t that great.

Pokemon Trainer- I didn’t bother with him. So I just put him here. I did note that he has the second worse tournament ranking. I think his matchups merit a slightly better spot... but it'll take time for him to rise in the tourney rankings

Ike- Has pretty good tournament record and comparatively not too bad of matchups.

Sonic – Has slightly better matchups then Ike but does a good bit worse at tournaments.

Yoshi- Matchups are bad and tournament ranking is the worst. Yoshi seems well suited for even bottom tier. I'd put him there, he has nothing to back him up.... terrible matchups, and awful tourney rankings... he's the epitome of bottom tier. In my opinion he is but where at. I am somewhat tempted to put him just below Jigglypuff but the little guy has some tricks he can do that may warrant him being further up.

This tier must be hard. All that flak from Sonic, Ike, and Pokemon trainer mainers who think their character is good. Well at least the Ike players have hope since he does alright at tournaments. I must note though that some characters do well in tournaments while others do awful. This group has no real pattern like middle tier.

Bottom Tier

Link- Has the best Matchups of bottom tier. In fact he has matchups that could be considered good for even low tier. I think link is better than his ranking suggests, but he'll stey there becasue he's so outclassed by Toon Link I agree with you. I am wondering though if Link may be able to take Yoshi's spot. Problem is I REALLY don't think he'll be winning many tournies because... well... people who could main him main toon link instead.

Samus- Has worse matchups then link but maybe low tier worthy. She could probably move up a little. Def above Link, much better overall
Jigglypuff, Gannondorf
Captain Falcon- Why Sakurai, Why? "If I nerf the knee and make falcon punch better then Captain Falcon should stay pretty much in the same spot regardless of the new physics and hitstun."-Sakurai in all his wisdom.

Someone stated that we should have a little starting place. This is the SFR's old discussion tier it is no longer needed and outdated but I think it would still make a good starting spot. Sorry Viers I tried to cut it down where I could.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
ok stop right there. i can think of one person who posts here (st viers) who shows signs of actually researching characters moves and watching videos, everyone else just continues to assume what they were told 3 months ago, and refuses to acknowledge any videos provided to argue a case.
*sigh*

Making silly generalizations about others is one thing, and getting them wrong is another.

What videos would people be posting in a tier discussion thread? I could see how videos would maybe apply to character matchups or towards explaining AT's but otherwise it doesn't really make sense to put videos here.

On topic: I have to disagree about the Top/High tiers being consistent from person to person. Some people debate MK over Snake or Falco over ROB or Pika below Falco and vice versa. We are not gonna get a good, solid agreement for anyone except for 20%, maybe 25% of the characters at this point in time.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
DK should be much higher up.

He has a lot of power for his speed and very good matchups against top chars. like Snake.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
OH god....it's already bad now....imagine the whining when the actual list comes out.......
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173923&page=4

I think the debate may actually have started a few pages earlier but basically Captain Falcon players don't consider themselves the worst instead they think other characters are worse. Which leads others to come in and refute these claims which leads to this whole debate. I think it is quite funny.

I am almost positive that Sonic, Kiwi, and Grunt all look around the boards. I am pretty Sure NSS and the other SFR members do also. I will admit I don't lurk on all the character boards and I haven’t read all of the AT threads yet either, but I believe I lurk at a large amount of character boards and I have read a bit of the ATs and practiced them also. Videos…I don’t know about the others but I am always watching pro videos for both Brawl and Melee and the occasional 64 also.I watched a Yoshi AT video once that has to tell you something.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Top Tier

Jigglypuff, Gannondorf
Captain Falcon- Why Sakurai, Why? "If I nerf the knee and make falcon punch better then Captain Falcon should stay pretty much in the same spot regardless of the new physics and hitstun."-Sakurai in all his wisdom.

Someone stated that we should have a little starting place. This is the SFR's old discussion tier it is no longer needed and outdated but I think it would still make a good starting spot. Sorry Viers I tried to cut it down where I could.
oh god no, you better not put my grampa ganon in the same tier as that stupid jiggs i'll never forgive you, why did u do this sakurai how can my melee main be so unusable in brawl its just humiliating, he still has the coolest attacks of any character ever, murderchoke and the sparta kick are so cool it puts him mid tier at least lol.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Eh? I know I do my best to keep current with most characters, and I'm pretty sure a lot of other posters do, too... The trick is to get onto Smashboards and just not sign in... I'd say I do about 20 times as much lurking as I do posting. For example, lurking allowed me to realize that characters like Sonic, Yoshi and Ganon are hardly as bad as percieved. The people who assume what they were told are the ones that have just joined SWF, and you can't blame them for not knowing everything. Certainly I don't contribute to every character's section, but I have visited the threads of the majority of the cast at certain points. Although most would frown upon the matchup thread, I've found that some intelligent people can be found there, and it's those people who help teach me about characters and their finer points.
No Johns, boy.

metalmonstar said:
I am almost positive that Sonic, Kiwi, and Grunt all look around the boards. I am pretty Sure NSS and the other SFR members do also.
Argh, looks like you beat me to it...

M.K

Level 55
What about Wario? I don't play him, I don't have any interest in playing him, I just want to know the general concensus about him. (i.e. usefulness, matchups, presumed tier placement, etc.)

Browny

Smash Hater
im bored

A: Snake, MK, G&W
B: Falco, ROB, Marth, DeDeDe, Wario, Lucario, Olimar, DK, Pikachu
C: Wolf, Pit, Fox, TL, Kirby, Zelda, IC, Ness, Lucas, Diddy, Sonic
D: Mario, Luigi, ZSS, Peach, Yoshi, Link, Shiek, PT, Ike
E: Ganondorf, Bowser, CF, Samus, Jigglypuff
FIX'D

10flames

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Empy: it is easily gimped--either you can just grab the edge, or he's high enough to knock out of the attack on the way down. Also, you can roll-edgegrab if he's high enough to just dodge through the attack.

He can't really side B safely unless he's way above, as you can jump out and gimp him.

Also, so many chars have good enough aerial games to chase him off the stage--as he falls fast, making him airdodge leads to him falling too far and being unable to recover.
High enough to knock out off the attack on the way down? I can see this in FD a little bit but this is completely untrue at any other stage.

And I said, you don't have to be stupid and use QD all the time.

And I airdodge outside the stage all the time. Sometimes twice, I got no idea what your talking about.

Recovery really is a problem... he can usually be attacked before he grabs the ledge with sideB, and he will usually fall too far for upB to work. Also, he suffers from footstools almost as much as Yoshi.
Yeah so don't use sideB.

Really people it's very easy. You don't need sideB, moving sideways and then aether goes just as far. The only reason sideb can be used is to reach platforms or land on the stage with less landing lag than aether. But it doesn't travel further so there is no reason to be gimped out of it, ever.

Browny

Smash Hater
for an ike main, you seem to know disturbingly little about the range of QD vs aether

its gotta be at least 5-6 times bigger range

Adapt

Smash Lord
he's saying that you can just drift towards the stage until you are under the lip and then use aether. I do it all the time instead of going for QD

I'm about 80% certain that anywhere you can get back with QD you can get back with aether

for the record, I watch a lot of video's and lurk about 1/2 the character boards. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people that do the same. not just St. Viers. I already changed my mind about placement of a few characters, but not all

Empy

Smash Ace
for an ike main, you seem to know disturbingly little about the range of QD vs aether

its gotta be at least 5-6 times bigger range
Yeah except that I'm right and I know quite a lot about Ike. So think before you judge people.

he's saying that you can just drift towards the stage until you are under the lip and then use aether. I do it all the time instead of going for QD

I'm about 80% certain that anywhere you can get back with QD you can get back with aether

for the record, I watch a lot of video's and lurk about 1/2 the character boards. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people that do the same. not just St. Viers. I already changed my mind about placement of a few characters, but not all
Correct. In fact I'm about 99% sure. I've discussed this at the Ike boards before and pretty much everyone agrees that you can always get back with aether as well.

And yeah any reasonable Ike player recovers this way. Only bad Ike players really on QD to reach the ledge.

Browny

Smash Hater
but ike doesnt drift... he falls like a rock :/ if anyone jumps off the stage and attacks him while he floats to the stage preparing for aether, if ike airdodges/attacks/counters, hell fall way too low. characters with projectiles could really abuse this too

Adapt

Smash Lord
He can airdodge once no problem, and he can attack if he is higher than the stage at the time. But I must agree that if he's level with the stage (or lower) at the time he doesn't have many options. I never said his recovery was good, I said QD is unnecessary for him to recover

Grunt

Smash Master
What about Wario? I don't play him, I don't have any interest in playing him, I just want to know the general concensus about him. (i.e. usefulness, matchups, presumed tier placement, etc.)
he used to do really well in tournies (has been updated recently and havent looked at it yet.)
but he is to brawl, what jiggly is to melee, minus the Rest. he has a SOOPER AIR GAME.

And a bike.

Browny

Smash Hater
warios air game isnt that great lol, he just has a really good dair. G&W, marth, lucario, rob and MK own the skies this time round

IAW

Smash Rookie
I haven't posted for a quite a while now (my last post was about on page 100 or so). I am personally of the opinion that people who post all the time generally don't do that much research before posting. So I hardly ever post unless I have done a lot of research and it is something that isn't the normal posting a tier list that is almost exactly the same as ankoku's tier list based off of tournament results. Anyway my posts way back when were surprisingly accurate. I only researched three characters and predicted: snake - top tier, falco - top tier, and marth high tier. I got a lot of flack for these predictions at the time, but with the exception of falco being top tier (which I still think might end up being) the results seem to match up pretty well.

So I decided to make another prediction that will probably get me some more flack, but I know someone made this prediction earlier on this board and everyone got mad at it, but I thought it was a great prediction and needed some further looking into.

Mario - high tier

Reasons:
1. short hop fireball has one of the greatest trajectories of any projectile
2. Fsmash is now a good kill move even if it doesn't hit the fire box
3. The combination of cape and fireball make him an ideal camper almost always being able to force the enemy to approach
4. His spike may not seem all that great at first, but do to the fact that almost know one else has a spike that hits in front of them instead of below them makes it a little easier to get off.
5. All his other aerials are solid quick attacks and Dair's last hit can often gimp someone out of their shield if all the preceding hits make contact
6. Utilt can lead into some great combo's at low percents
7. Overall, is a solid character and when he is played semi-conservatively he can cause most any other character trouble

Now all I need is for BOSS to get his *** in gear and start winning some tournaments, lol.

Empy

Smash Ace
but ike doesnt drift... he falls like a rock :/ if anyone jumps off the stage and attacks him while he floats to the stage preparing for aether, if ike airdodges/attacks/counters, hell fall way too low. characters with projectiles could really abuse this too
This is just not true. Not even close. It's an insanely stupid lie as well, cuz Ike doesn't fall differently from other characters.

He can airdodge once no problem, and he can attack if he is higher than the stage at the time. But I must agree that if he's level with the stage (or lower) at the time he doesn't have many options. I never said his recovery was good, I said QD is unnecessary for him to recover
Actually even at stage level he does fine. You can jump off, fair, double jump, fair and still get back. You can even fastfall an uair and aether back, etc...

warios air game isnt that great lol, he just has a really good dair. G&W, marth, lucario, rob and MK own the skies this time round
Which proves once again that you're a complete idiot who doesn't know anything about any character, or any smash game for that matter. If you're gonna post in a tier discussion, at least try to learn something about a character not just screaming random stuff that anyone knows is false to people who try to talk normally.

Everything I've said about Ike is stuff that I did in matches, you know, actually playing the game. You might want to try that next time, before you "counter" people their arguments.

Browny

Smash Hater
mario is good, but he just doesnt have a really good move/technique to put him in high imo. falco/pikachu/dedede/lucario all have Chaingrabs, DK has stage spikes +3 aerial spikes, G&W has... everything, marth has everything he used to, and more. what does mario have that competes with that sort of stuff?

This is just not true. Not even close. It's an insanely stupid lie as well, cuz Ike doesn't fall differently from other characters.

Which proves once again that you're a complete idiot who doesn't know anything about any character, or any smash game for that matter. If you're gonna post in a tier discussion, at least try to learn something about a character not just screaming random stuff that anyone knows is false to people who try to talk normally.
get jiggs and ike to jump off the stage and see who dies first.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162546
ike above average fall speed

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167952
he also has below average horizontal air speed.

a combination of 2 bad traits when it comes to recovering makes a difference.

and care to explain how warios air game is so great? or even beats any of those characters i mentioned? sure hes quick in the air but hes got pitiful range on all his aerials and only his u-air hits hard enough to KO

SaxDude93

Smash Apprentice
Mario - high tier
It's not the fact Mario is bad per se, but the fact that other characters are just better than Mario. Wario has a great air game. Falco, DDD, Pika, etc, can all chaingrab. DK is a good counter to Snake and MK. Olimar and R.O.B. can out camp Mario. It's all about relativity. Somebody has to be lower than other characters.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
Fall speed and aerial movement are different. Take Luigi, incredibly floaty, but cannot drift back to the stage like Ike, because he doesn't drift. He's like a falling balloon in a dead calm. Must use side B. Ike has average (#22/40) aerial movment. If you think it's below average, learn to count, lol. It's not enough to be jiggs, but it's more than enough for him to drift down and use aether to recover.

hey whats evetyones opinion of kirby. he doesnt see to get alot of discussion,
Kirby's solid all around (especially when he turns into a rock, lol). If he plays to his strengths he does well, but unlike the top tiers, he doesn't have one overwhelming strength to play on. He's got good priority, good recovery, solid gimping, decent approaches, and way-more-useful-than-in-melee copy abilities. I see him as high mid/low high.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I haven't posted for a quite a while now (my last post was about on page 100 or so). I am personally of the opinion that people who post all the time generally don't do that much research before posting. So I hardly ever post unless I have done a lot of research and it is something that isn't the normal posting a tier list that is almost exactly the same as ankoku's tier list based off of tournament results. Anyway my posts way back when were surprisingly accurate. I only researched three characters and predicted: snake - top tier, falco - top tier, and marth high tier. I got a lot of flack for these predictions at the time, but with the exception of falco being top tier (which I still think might end up being) the results seem to match up pretty well.

So I decided to make another prediction that will probably get me some more flack, but I know someone made this prediction earlier on this board and everyone got mad at it, but I thought it was a great prediction and needed some further looking into.

Mario - high tier

Reasons:

4. His spike may not seem all that great at first, but do to the fact that almost know one else has a spike that hits in front of them instead of below them makes it a little easier to get off.
lol.
um DK actually has two spikes from his front Fair and >B and lucas as a Bair spike but really mario isn't high tier material, he just doesnt have enough good matchups, another reason they shoulda brought back dr. mario, 10x better than mario.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
hey whats evetyones opinion of kirby. he doesnt see to get alot of discussion,
He's been overrated, underrated and everything in between so far. Great priority, average to great range, speedy, can Kirbycide, can place enemies underneath the stage where they can't recover, can WOP, has great damage-racking grab combos. The fact that he doesn't have a projectile is void because he can just steal his opponent's. His only real downsides are that he dies early, he has bad matchups against the higher tiers, and he'll have trouble KOing if you don't keep his smashes and bair fresh.

And Yoshi... but nobody knows it yet ;)

Browny

Smash Hater
yoshi would have a great air game if he was guranteed to make it back to the stage after chasing someone off :/

D

Deleted member

yoshi would have a great air game if he was guranteed to make it back to the stage after chasing someone off :/
He is. U dont need ur freakin double jump to chase somebody, he is faster than wario going foward in the air if u didnt know. 4 of his air moves are good for edgeguarding. Yoshi's air game is good, but really in aerial combat. Dair molests shields, bair shield stabs and leads to utilt which leads to insane juggles which yoshi is VERY good at, and bair also does 16 damage if all the hits connect, nair isnt safe on block but kills and is good, uair is probably in the top 3 best uairs in the game, fair is for edgeguarding.

Guys stop posting about yoshi if u dont know anything about him =/

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Yoshi's Aerial Breakdown:
Uair: Can juggle, KO, or score consecutive hits at low percentages.
Dair: The best damage-racking aerial in the game.
Fair: A spike, used only for spiking.
Bair: Combo move, damage racker, sets up into other aerials.
Nair: Combo breaker, leads to other aerials, has KO potential.

Yoshi's recovery will ALWAYS get back if someone isn't edgeguarding him, and will ALMOST ALWAYS get back if someone is. You can't edgeguard SA frames, and Yoshi can just airdodge at the beginning of his second jump to fly forward and up while invincible.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Quote from metal monster:
"I think of a tier list construction more of like a person who wants to design their own home. They do the research draw up the plans and then present them. If they did a good job of designing it then the contractors will take it as is and build it for them. If not then they will either get a crappy house or the contractors will offer Strong suggestions as to how to fix it.

A lot of us are doing are research, lurking around the boards, experimenting with things, watching videos, and visiting tournaments, in order to work on constructing a tier list. Then we present what we have accomplished. If it looks alright then people will agree with it or maybe make some minor suggestions. If it turns out poorly then everyone jokes about it or people harshly point out your flaws."

I agree with this. Some people here need to be more positive. If someone posts a Tier List that you don't find accurate at all, it's just them contributing their opinion. You look at it, and see what you like and don't, and you can form your own opinion.

and btw metal monster, I like your tier list:)

edit: Yoshi's aerial game is very good, actually, due to his floating even after performing an aerial. And if some of you are 'outdated' about Yoshi's ATs, then I'll tell you here that he can have a 'super double jump' and he can also 'infinite jump'. So basically, if you master these two ATs, you can pretty much permenantly fly in the air for edgeguarding opponents who are trying to recover. And with Infinite jumping, wherever you are on the map, you can recover, unless of course you are sucessfully edguarded. His infinite jump isn't like others where you can't gain vertical height. Yoshi can pretty much fly off the map vertically and suicide if you do this:)

here's a link to all his ATs (or at least most of them. I know it's at least missing crawl dash) http://brawlcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22365

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
um DK actually has two spikes from his front Fair and >B and lucas as a Bair spike but really mario isn't high tier material, he just doesnt have enough good matchups, another reason they shoulda brought back dr. mario, 10x better than mario.
I'm pretty sure DK has three spikes. D air always spikes on contact.

It would be interesting to see where Dr. Mario would fit in this if he were in brawl. He was stronger with multi-hits that were hard to break out of once caught in like Meta Knight's tornado attack.

Doc's projectile is better. He is slightly heavier and slower, is without wavedash, and had a seemingly worse recovery than Mario in Melee. If Doc keeps his tornado attack, his recovery would probably be better than Mario's.

But bringing Dr. Mario back would probably shoot Mario down further due to the popularity. From what I know Mario and Doc weren't that far off on the Melee tier list. Correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom