• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol i guess so. i just figure zelda and diddy are considerably more harder to use than ike, especially when brawl first came out. In early tourneys i honestly doubt people knew how to gimp his recovery, or fully understood the range of his quicker KO moves. his tourney results have dried up massively while zelda and diddys are finally beginning to get somewhere.

and tourney results dont lie, the match up chart does. the entire thing is nothing but opinions, and so many of the match-ups were decided without any reasoning or discussions behind them whatsoever
Who says I completely base matchups solely on that chart? I and the SFR are planning to do our very own research on matchups, and see if we come to agreement on them. Some of the chart for certain characters is accurate, mostly because of people like Emblem Lord single handedly fixing said characters like Marth, but I agree a lot of that chart is kinda BS.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Indeed. The Sonic matchup charthas errors.
As do the Link, Zelda, PT, well the majority of it is quite poor.

Perhaps you should do something similar and discuss 1 character for a week and his/her matchups then next week you do the other.

It would provide an ample amount of time to discuss the matchups.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
^^ I actually suggested we all run in yelling about how every single matchup is wrong and fix it in about a week, or maybe making a new chart. Just imagine if we got the twenty or so most intelligent posters here to invade the thread...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I can contribute a lot to the Wario matchups if you guys are gonna start a new chart or fix the old one. IDK if the moderators will allow another matchup chart though unless they think it is more accurate/more important.

Edit: I guess we could do matchups here in this thread but it seems a bit off topic considering this is for discussing tiers, not matchups.

Evla

Smash Cadet
Can I play you? I mean, I'll try not to tornado too much, since it breaks wifi a bit, and since I never used to when I played on wifi....as long as the connection isn't under yellow, we can probably have a half-decent game. I just want to see how you play.
Im going to have to hook all my s*** up again but aiight sure. I'll let you know and i'll play you

I can contribute a lot to the Wario matchups if you guys are gonna start a new chart or fix the old one. IDK if the moderators will allow another matchup chart though unless they think it is more accurate/more important.

Edit: I guess we could do matchups here in this thread but it seems a bit off topic considering this is for discussing tiers, not matchups.
That would be a great help :).

In other news, I finally realized just how bad I am and rust sucks >_>. After not being able to play Brawl for like the past 3 weeks, when I finally got access to my cousin's Wii, I was just......horrible.

I mean, for god sakes the lvl 9 MARIO beat me the first time when I was using MK, seriously WTF? I need to practice moar so I can get this **** rust off -_-.

I'm certainly not taking any challenges from anyone anytime soon....

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I already know that a few people are going to heavily disagree with Mario's placement.

Top:
Snake
Metaknight

High:
Game & Watch
Marth
Falco
King Dedede
R.O.B.

High-Mid:
Wolf
Pikachu
Toon Link
Donkey Kong
Wario

Mid:
Ice Climbers
Diddy Kong
Lucas
Lucario
Pit
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Luigi
Sheik
Ike
Kirby
Ness

Low-Mid:
Bowser
Peach
Samus
Link
Pokemon Trainer

Low:
Ganondorf
Mario
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Yoshi

Bottom:
Captain Falcon

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Corner, I totally agree with Mario placement. Since he is jack-of-all trades, he has no glaring anything, besides gimping and recovery. I think that if you aren't great at anything, then you should be lower.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Corner, I totally agree with Mario placement. Since he is jack-of-all trades, he has no glaring anything, besides gimping and recovery. I think that if you aren't great at anything, then you should be lower.
Just wait for a few posts for people to bring up points against what you just said. I do believe that Mario deserves to be in low tier, but last time I said that everyone was on my *** about it. Mario does excel at edge guarding but he's average or below average at everything else. This includes ground game, air game, approach, camping, recovery, and KO's. His attacks in general lack in range, priority, damage, knock back, and they're only decent at speed. His match-ups are average at best and he's at a disadvantage more often than an advantage in most match-ups. I just don't see why he would be past low tier.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
LOL!!! All you do is make Olimar use his second jump then hog the ledge.

Then he is done.

Also MK runs through Olimar so I don't even know wtf you are talking about. It's almost as bad as Olimar vs Wolf. That match is ****in horrendous for Olimar.
Dude, no-one cares if you're good at brawl or melee. You should just quit talking about Olimar right now b/c it's quite obvious that you haven't much experience versus any competent Olimar mainers with anyone other than MK. Show me some good matches of you versus a good olimar and then you can come in here and make arrogant comments about him.

You're right about the MK v Olimar though, but he's top tier. What does that make Olimar then? Bottom tier b/c he sucks versus MK? What's new.

lol. Plus Olimar has the shortest tether recovery out of all the tether characters even when he has 6 pikmen. His recovery isn't good and he is one of the most gimpable characters in the game. Fact.
Wrong, he has the longest. He can latch the stage from the bottom of the screen where you can't even see him. False dude, not fact. Everything you say isn't "fact" so quit being so arrogant about everything. I'm sure many other people are tired of some of the things you say too.

Re: Olimar
This is my exact opinion and, as an olimar main, I totally agree with everything he said.

@ Anyone who knows: How would a character approach Olimar? Once that's figured out, Oli's placement may be easier to tell.
Air approaches should never work unless they're multihit or the character has a fast jab that can interrupt Olimar's grab(such as nair>jab with shiek, with the foot of the nair hitting Olimar. He can't shieldgrab it)

IMO I just think he shouldn't be placed as low as many people do place him. I'm not saying he's fantastic, but I wouldn't put him too far under mid.

flyingpork002

Smash Apprentice
This is not a complete tier list for two reasons. I am going to go more in-depth about characters than most do, so chances are, i will be tired of writing by the time I am done. I also think that there is alot of debate about the lower mid-bottom tiers and i dont want to deal with that right now because i spend much more time dealing with the top-upper mid characters. I have tried to make this as accurate as possible based on matchups, tourneys, and my opinion. please comment and enjoy.

top:
Snake (best overall character. decent recovery, heavy, and tilts are perfect combo of priority, speed, & power. also, tournament results don't lie and snake is atop the tourney rankings)
Metaknight (pretty undisputed that metaknight is second best. He has either the best or second best recovery, great edgeguarding game, quick lagless ground attacks and areals, plus a disjoint. Only thing stopping him from being the best character is his light weight and lack of diversity in the KO department)

high:
G&W (definately third best character, only thing under dispute is whether he's high or top tier. I put him in high because metaknight and snake are just consistantly owining and maybe just a step above G-dub. still, great priority, perhaps the best set of areals, and useful special moves give him this spot)
DeDeDe (this spot was very tricky. I think dedede gets the edge though because of his chaingrab and as i said before, tournament wins don't lie. DeDeDe also has one of the best spacing games with ftilt and waddle dees, and he has too many KO moves to count plus his chaingrab.
Marth (alright, i think marth deserves this spot because of a good balance between ground and air game. He has good priority and KO power on the ground, and quickness and priority in the air. His recovery is also decent and his spike is the best.)
Falco (for the first time in his life, Falco is in first command. The bird gets this spot because of his chaingrab to spike combo and great advanced techs such as laserlocking and short hop double laser. Down b is also better than it was before in my opinion because it is great for spacing. If his recovery was better he could even be top tier.)
ROB (this guy just recently earned his reputation as second tier. He probably the best camping game in the game because of his broken down b projectile, his very long ranged and high priority regular b and his good tilts and smashes for spacing. He is heavy and has one of the best recoveries which makes him hard to kill. Add all that up together and you've got a high tier character.)

Upper Tier:
Pikachu (Pikachu deserves to top the upper tier. He is not good enough to be considered high imo but he doesnt have a hard time beating the high and top tier characters. His ground game is one of the best, all of his specials are extremely useful and he is a top class edgeguarder with a combination of his good areals and his specials. He also has a good recovery and great priority on his smashes. QAC and chaingrabs against pretty much the whole cast are awesome. Speed is also a bonus.)
Toon Link (this is pretty undisputed. Toon link is very versitile and has a good ground game and good projectiles. His smashes are powerful and he has surprising priority for someone his size. His recovery is also beastly.)
Wario (Wario deserves this because of his recent emmergence in the smash community. He has the best air game out of all the tourney viable characters and he is very unpredictable because of his herky jerky style. He has a good but situational recovery as well. His only problem is the lag times on his smashes can be problematic sometimes although good players will get around it.)
Olimar (Olimar is kind of hard to place because his playsyle has never been seen before. That works as an advantage and disadvantage. He might move up the tier list as time goes on and more people figure him out but upper is a good spot for him. He has a great ground game with his grabs, throw, and smashes, and his air game is decent. Only bad thing is his recovery but good olimar players can find ways to deter edgehoggers sometimes)
Pit (pit is very good at racking up damage but sometimes has trouble KOing reliably. Nevertheless Pit is a very tournament viable character. He has a slight disjoint, quick areals and tilts, and very spammable specials as well as a reflector. Good recovery with one problem but usually you can get around it.)
Donkey Kong (after recent debates over this, this may not come as a surprise to some people. Donkey kong is considered a counter for both the top tier characters which is pretty beastly and as results show, it greatly helps him in meta and snake heavy tournaments. He has a gread spacing and ground game and his bair is very useful)

best three characters in the Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers (I think that IC, Diddy, and Wolf are all well above average but i didn't feel like implimenting another tier and i think they are noticably worse than the upper tier. Ice climbers are very good however. Their ice blocks can disrupt many players recoveries like pit and diddy kong and their a attacks are all decently powerful. The thing that sets them apart though is their de-sync game. When mastered, their chaingrabs and combos are very effective.)
Wolf (I kept him out of upper because of some problems KOing reliably if his fsmash is deflated and chances are it is because most wolf players go to spam-heaven with this move. His blaster is good because it covereres too wide an area to duck and it does damage and hitstun. His reflector is a good combo stopper and it is good for spacing but his recovery is subpar because of high falling speed and low jump height. Also, the diagonal flash isnt as useful as the phantasm or fox's because it is useless on the stage and it is harder to master the spike at the end than with falco's.)
Diddy Kong (sadly, it looks like diddy kong is still second banana to donkey kong. Before and right after the games release, there was alot of hype about him but once people realized his recovery was gimpable and bananas arent as useful as you might think, he moved down. Also, his tournament results are nothing to get too excited about which shows that when applied in a real situation, he isn't the ****.)

comment please. Hope you liked it.

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
As a suggestion, outline the character names in bold and make it easily identifiable.

Wall o' Text = D:
Easy to read and reference= :D

You guys posted a LOT while I was gone... Oh I'm going to Gameclukz to play with Eggz and that crew next weekend, with PT, I'll be sure to count how many stocks I lose. But hey... If I can kill somebody, it's a victory.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Dude, no-one cares if you're good at brawl or melee. You should just quit talking about Olimar right now b/c it's quite obvious that you haven't much experience versus any competent Olimar mainers with anyone other than MK. Show me some good matches of you versus a good olimar and then you can come in here and make arrogant comments about him.
Lol, citing the fact that once he's used his second jump, edge-hogging destroys his recovery reveals that he's never played a competent Olimar? Granted it's not quite as easy as he makes it out to be, but he is immensely easy to gimp.

Ok, what other recovery options does Olimar have?

You're right about the MK v Olimar though, but he's top tier. What does that make Olimar then? Bottom tier b/c he sucks versus MK? What's new.
He's just pointing out that olimar v MK is a particularly bad match-up for Olimar, beyond the vast majority of other characters. And nobody is suggesting he should be low tier.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I've noticed Marth is palcing very high on all the tier lists coming out: above, Falco, ROB, Dedede and even G&W. The problem with this is with the exception of GaW, he has bad matchups against Snake, ROB and Falco (with an even matchup against Dedede and Metaknight), which in my mind would put him below Falco and ROB at the least.

flyingpork002

Smash Apprentice
more people comment on my list even if its perfect i want to know and it probably isnt. My goal is to try and improve my overall knowledge of the game so if you could please just comment thx

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
See, I personally wouldn't make a distinction between a matchup with a low-tier character and a high-tier character.

If for some reason someone like Cfalcon had a matchup against Snake that caused him to win every time, pretty much like MK vs Olimar, would that make Cfalcon a higher tier? No.

Being good against a very select range of characters out of all of Brawl's roster, no matter the tier in which they are placed, isn't going to help him win any tournies, unless EVERYONE there plays Snake.

EDIT: Just posted this in the PT boards, any thoughts?
Sakurai has again and again worked to make it painfully obvious, but people keep missing it, PT is one character, one character with the largest and most diverse range of moves in the game.

"Oh noes, I have to switch characterz, that suckz."

Saying that PT is three different characters is like saying that there are three different kinds of Marths, the B-button Marth, the aerial Marth and the ground Marth. That is wrong.

The true power of PT will only be unlocked when people stop viewing the pokemon seperately and begin playing them in a unified, synchonized machine.

MattC13

Smash Cadet
I hate tiers. They're so ******** and lame. It basically says to use only these characters because they're "better".

Corigames

Smash Hero
I hate tiers. They're so ******** and lame. It basically says to use only these characters because they're "better".
Uhh... no. Way to make assumptions you worthless n00b.

What are you going to say next, that everyone has an equal opprotunity in Brawl. That ATs boggle the game down with complexity. That pros are only good because of glitches. Is Brawl better because it's more fun?

The tier list is there to inform people who is best in the current meta. It doesn't force you to do ****. If you have a problem with it, don't bother with it. If you are a scrub, you will let the tier list dictate your every move.

This was your first post and you failed it sooooo hard. What a waste.

flyingpork002

Smash Apprentice
tier lists don't tell you to use any characters. They are just guidelines to help you understand where the gaps are in character ability and who the best characters are. At the recreational level, tiers do not matter because tier lists take advanced techniques and tournament rules into account. At the recreational level, use whoever is most fun. At the tournament level, tier lists are merely to tell you who is tournament playable and who is not. They don't force you to play as anyone. Saying tiers are bad because they force you to play as certain people is like saying that classifying cars is bad because it tells people they are only allowed to drive the good cars. You should play/drive whatever or whoever you want.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
I think DK is great but I don't see why people are saying he does well against Snake.

Snake can camp him pretty well which is a big problem and all of Snake's other broken moves like F-tilt are a problem. I really don't see many advantages DK has against Snake, either.

flyingpork002

Smash Apprentice
he doesn't have advantages over snake but unlike the rest of the cast, he doesn't get completely ***** by snake.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, citing the fact that once he's used his second jump, edge-hogging destroys his recovery reveals that he's never played a competent Olimar? Granted it's not quite as easy as he makes it out to be, but he is immensely easy to gimp.

Ok, what other recovery options does Olimar have?
I shouldn't have said some of those things. I apologize. Olimar doesn't really have that many recovery options if he loses his double jump. EL is making it seem like he can press the double jump button for his opponent. It's not hard to avoid the pressure to dj. In fact Olimar does better on the ground than in the air anyway, soo... why should he jump twice? If Olimar has his second double jump after getting hit hard and he doesn't get blown off the screen, he has several options. I'll name a few:

-fall towards stage jump>whistle armor>nair.
-fair or upair or tether to stage. If he edgehogs, jump and/or pressure him off with upair>tether.
-throw pikmen>fall towards stage>fair>whistle armour to safety.

I'm not going to name anymore(unless you want me to) b/c there's too many options he has to get back it's not even funny. Unless you have a great edgeguarding game, you're not just going to "get a free kill by gimping" if you hit him off unless he has already used his double jump. If you do have a great edge game, then you should kill most recovery attempts anyways. It's just totally ridiculous what some of you are saying. He's quite misunderstood.

He's just pointing out that olimar v MK is a particularly bad match-up for Olimar, beyond the vast majority of other characters. And nobody is suggesting he should be low tier.
Chozen is the one I'm specifically pointing out by saying the last part of that comment. Too many people are putting him in mid tier below characters like Zelda, DK, Lucas, and even Mario-What the heck???

Corigames

Smash Hero
People.....it's an obvious troll lol.......
And what if it isn't? I'm not going to let someone say something dumb like that without giving them a piece of my mind. If it was just flame bait, then w/e. Like I care. If it wasn't, he'll learn to think before talking again... maybe >_>

MattC13

Smash Cadet
Uhh... no. Way to make assumptions you worthless n00b.

What are you going to say next, that everyone has an equal opprotunity in Brawl. That ATs boggle the game down with complexity. That pros are only good because of glitches. Is Brawl better because it's more fun?

The tier list is there to inform people who is best in the current meta. It doesn't force you to do ****. If you have a problem with it, don't bother with it. If you are a scrub, you will let the tier list dictate your every move.

This was your first post and you failed it sooooo hard. What a waste.
IDK about my first post. Seriously, who does? I'm not some 30 year old you lives in my basement that goes on message boards from dawn til dusk (Not that's im saying you)

Nobody has an equal opportunity in Brawl. Some people just play it more then others. And no,the pros are not better because of glitches. They actually know how to play.

About what I said to only use because there "better". What I was going to say after some *** like you flammed me, was that there are many 10 year old n00bs who only use the top tiers. It pisses me off them going online because that's all I see!

No,the tier list does not dictate my every move. I've never followed it. I use low and bottom tiers. I can beat people with him.

I never care about my first post. If that's how you judge people, then fine. Live your live like that. See if I care.

flyingpork002

Smash Apprentice
IDK about my first post. Seriously, who does? I'm not some 30 year old you lives in my basement that goes on message boards from dawn til dusk (Not that's im saying you)

Nobody has an equal opportunity in Brawl. Some people just play it more then others. And no,the pros are not better because of glitches. They actually know how to play.

About what I said to only use because there "better". What I was going to say after some *** like you flammed me, was that there are many 10 year old n00bs who only use the top tiers. It pisses me off them going online because that's all I see!

No,the tier list does not dictate my every move. I've never followed it. I use low and bottom tiers. I can beat people with him.

I never care about my first post. If that's how you judge people, then fine. Live your live like that. See if I care.
alright, i think you have redeemed yourself with this post. I wasnt the one who you were reffering too but i guess i was a little hard on you. However, the way you said it made it seem like you were just some noob who wanted to act smart by coming in here and saying something like that. Its apparent your not tho. I apologize for misjudging you.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I now love you.

You are probably the first n00b I have "flamed" without retorting with "BAAWWWWW" or threatening to kill, play, or **** me.

I still have my eye on you though...

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
They use top tiers because they are fun to play.

There are barely any people who choose top tier characters because they are top tier. They usually at least like how they play, which is easy because they are so good.

MattC13

Smash Cadet
alright, i think you have redeemed yourself with this post. I wasnt the one who you were reffering too but i guess i was a little hard on you. However, the way you said it made it seem like you were just some noob who wanted to act smart by coming in here and saying something like that. Its apparent your not tho. I apologize for misjudging you.
Don't apologize. I'm just mad at someone like Coreygames who automatically judges people because of there first post.

I CONSTANTLY see Ikes and Sonics on Wi-fi, and he's presumed to be Low-Bottom Mid Tier.

Maybe it's just you or me.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Don't apologize. I'm just mad at someone like Coreygames who automatically judges people because of there first post.
Well... am I suppose to wait until someone drops thier e-balls before I correct them, even if it is way abrasive?

No, you are responsible for every post, just like I am. If I call you out, even on your first post, you better be willing to back yourself up. No one needs to hold anyone's hands while they are here. This isn't day care. I assume we are all grown up here.

Wait... you said, "someone like Coreygames." That's insinuating that there is anybody like me. Pffft. Yeah right.

flyingpork002

Smash Apprentice
oh, i didn't even know that was your first post, i dont really get why thats a big deal, and i agree with hippoperson. I think people play as top tiers because they are fun to play, not because they are top tiers. I mean there is only so much fun you can have while playing as gannondorf. And coaches say this all the time, the point to play is to have fun but winning is more fun than losing. In the last ssb, i had no knowledge whatsoever that there was even a smash community, or tiers, or tournaments. I was surprised when i stumbled on this website a few months ago and i believe that i am more knowledgeable now. But the thing that proves hippos point is that i bounced around for a bit with no knowledge of tiers or the good characters and settled upon fox as my main. That was just because he was fun.

flyingpork002

Smash Apprentice
i think that this thread has gotten a little off topic. I dont want to play moderator or anything but maybe we should try to have a discussion about the tier list. We had a good debate about olimar going earlier but now were just talking about random stuff. Go to the general brawl discussion for that and dont forget to vote for who you think is manliest (snake, falcon, ike) in general discussion. ;) but seriously, maybe talk about tiers. I also have a question that might stimulate some conversation. Do you guys think that pikachu belongs at the bottom of the high tier (ROB, Marth, Falco, G & W etc.) or atop the upper tier (Wario, DK etc.) i think most people would put him in upper right now but he might be able to make the push to high tier if just more people mained him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom