• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Out of you Boss and Azen, I've only heard of Azen... and those videos weren't anythnig insane either. All I'm saying is Mario isn't upper, or high tier... Mid-Mid max is what I'd say.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Mario ain't that hot. Boss is good, but Mario as a character isn't outstanding or noteworthy.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Hmm.. well sir... back in the melee days i used to team w/ DaShizWiz.. and was considered one of the Jiggs pros in the US... and now I team w/ Boss.. and i am considered one of the ROB pros in the US...

No Johns.

You're clearly talking to the wrong people.

Hmm.. well sir... back in the melee days i used to team w/ DaShizWiz.. and was considered one of the Jiggs pros in the US... and now I team w/ Boss.. and i am considered one of the ROB pros in the US...

No Johns.

You're clearly talking to the wrong people.
Ah, I knew remembered your name somewhere...

Your Jiggs was Great, indeed likely one of the better ones in the states. Altough there were better ones (Mango >_> )

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Playing w/ THE BEST mario in the US will do that to you.. especially when he consistently beats some of the best MKs, Marths, Snakes, and ROBs in the country... and we live in Md/Va... therefore i suggest you do not take what i have to say w/ a grain of salt.. most certainly NOT for THIS toon in specific.

???????

Smash Journeyman
I think Mario is viable for high tier but his major issue is the range in his tilts and grabs; Mario is already at least mid but he does seem to have the potential to be high tier, despite his few issues with range.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Playing w/ THE BEST mario in the US will do that to you.. especially when he consistently beats some of the best MKs, Marths, Snakes, and ROBs in the country... and we live in Md/Va... therefore i suggest you do not take what i have to say w/ a grain of salt.. most certainly NOT for THIS toon in specific.
That has nothing to do with tier placement. You can be good with any character. Higher tiers are just better over all characters. I'm not saying Boss's Mario sucks I'm just saying Mario is not even close to top tier.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
No, but i AM saying that playing against a player that actually plays a character to their full potential makes you realize how GOOD that character CAN BE...

Think about all of the WCers that play Wario.. if no one played him very well.. do you HONESTLY think that he would be considered high/upper tier...

Chozen has a point, I would have never placed Wario as a High Tier character until I saw Futile's Wario. That sealed the deal for me along with all the information I gathered on him . Another thing is it also actually opens your eyes and shows how good the characters can be in real situations, not just theorycraft. For example, Diddy Nanerz fortress seemed pretty powerful in theory. How has that translated to real life battles? Not all that well, he's placing has been pretty bad in tournaments, but lest we forget, things like this can change on a dime.

Being Great with a character can be the doorway of showing them to the comunnity how good they really are. This is something a lot of those "Tires don exits" don't seem to get.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
No, but i AM saying that playing against a player that actually plays a character to their full potential makes you realize how GOOD that character CAN BE...

Think about all of the WCers that play Wario.. if no one played him very well.. do you HONESTLY think that he would be considered high/upper tier...
Yeah, but if everyone played a character to their full potential, other characters would still be way higher than Mario.

???????

Smash Journeyman
As far as Mario being underrated, I've been underestimated many times because Mario was my main (Obviously people feared my secondaries though; Snake and R.O.B.).

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Mario also has not ranked well in tourneys. At least according to the Rankings Chart.

In no way am I denying a Mario in the right hands can be deadly, I'm saying that someone with equal skill using a Snake, Meta Knight, Falco, Marth, will have the upper hand.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but if everyone played a character to their full potential, other characters would still be way higher than Mario.
In no way am I denying a Mario in the right hands can be deadly, I'm saying that someone with equal skill using a Snake, Meta Knight, Falco, Marth, will have the upper hand.
Those characters are in high tier/top tier for a reason. What (I think) Chozen is saying is that Mario has enough potential to not be grouped with other characters in Mid Tier, which is why he put Mario in Upper Tier in his Tier list, right below ROB, Pikachu, and Toon Link in that particular tier.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Those characters are in high tier/top tier for a reason. What (I think) Chozen is saying is that Mario has enough potential to not be grouped with other characters in Mid Tier, which is why he put Mario in Upper Tier in his Tier list, right below ROB, Pikachu, and Toon Link in that particular tier.
That is way too high.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I revised the format of the SRK list.

Top: Snake, Metaknight
High: Falco, Game & Watch, Marth, King Dedede, R.O.B.
High-Mid: Wolf, Toon Link, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Wario, Diddy Kong, Ice Climbers
Mid: Lucas, Lucario, Pit, Olimar, Fox, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Luigi, Sheik, Kirby, Ness, Squirtle
Low-Mid: Peach, Bowser, Samus, Link, Charizard, Jigglypuff
Low: Ivysaur, Ganondorf, Sonic, Mario, Yoshi
Bottom: Captain Falcon

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
guess who is overrated...

snip

underrated..

snip (savings space)

Just so you all know...

People are silly b/c they've never played a good ------ in tourney.. well you are all [mostly] incorrect in your assuptions.

Man, you really couldn't be more right with that statement right there. You really hit almost every character. Except Fox. I see people here consistently put him at the bottom on mid tier (which is like character #27 on most of people's lists). But really, that list of overrated and underrated matches my thoughts almost exactly. Makes me pretty happy.

Also, this post shows how underrated Fox is.
Click the blue arrow.
As you can see, this poster going into great detail and thinking on his placement for each character. Look at the reasoning for Fox. I've seen many other people's tier lists do the same thing.

???????

Smash Journeyman
I think his list is fine but I'm not sure exactly why Ike is high in mid (Ike is good but I don't see him above Ice Climbers) and why Ice Climbers are in mid below Ike (I can see them higher).

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
ch0zen, you seem to be flattering yourself quite a bit. I've heard of you, of course, but it's easy to just say that you're the best at something without it being true. The same goes for flattering your own crew mates. Generally, a person that flaunts the fact that he's the best is absolutely not the best. I'm sure you're going to show me vids of you beating someone or other as a response, but whatever.
Anyway, just because one Mario manages to barely beat Azen's Pikachu doesn't mean Mario is high tier. I've noticed Mario mains tend to overrate their character much more than any other character mains, except maybe Sonic.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
I think his list is fine but I'm not sure exactly why Ike is high in mid (Ike is good but I don't see him above Ice Climbers), why Ice Climbers are in mid below Ike (I can see them higher), and why Zelda is high (She's good but she plays virtually the same as Melee).
Ummm... have you read his list? Mario, is too high, DeDeDe, could move a little lower. Lucario is too low, same with Donkey Kong. Lucas should be above Ness. Olimar, Zero Suit Samus, and Sonic, and Pokemon Trainer are brutally low. His list is ridiculous. I don't know how anyone can take him seriously.

???????

Smash Journeyman
I read his list but I'm still deciding on quite a few characters’ positions; I don't want to make any premature assumption, as ironic as that may sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom