• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it's a starting point, cite inaccuracies and then they can be debated.

That's how things like this are supposed to work, people take a look and say, "no this match-up isn't correct, and this is why", then people debate on it until one side is proven wrong and the match-up chart gets edited.

This happens when players who have both of the above attributes and/or have discovered something new that changes things and/or have technical data critique the match-ups.

So yes, obviously the match-up thread isn't the be-all end-all of who's a better character, but it is a more then reasonable null hypothesis to use as a starting point. If you disagree with it's conclusions, post your criticism either on the thread, or here as they become relevant and we can discuss it.
But the problem is, most of the people debating are Mid level players, the tournament scene reflects character matchups from High level play, we need more respected smashers posting in there and clearing things up to really make it accurate.

And all debate about Character vs Character need to go to the Matchups thread, stop spamming it in the Tier discussion thread.

Roller

Smash Legend
I don't meen don;t disrespect to anyone by saying thing, but why is some people so stuck on a tier for a game that just came out I think you just at least give it a year then make your judgements. Even though some match are easy to point out.
My pika told me to emphasize this point. so ya...

BUMP

Grunt

Smash Master
tiers are for queers it depends on the player...i don't care if u are the best with that character any other random character can still beat u .........i mean in other words anyone would just be a tierwhore like they are now...how many metaknights are in the usa???....like half the freakin nation..

then again i don't mind fighting any character cause i no there rutine......except deedeedee i hate that penguin.....im not complaining.....this tier thingy is basically just a popularity contest and who to counter against who there worst matchups are.......im done u sir GTFO or face the wrath of mario facepalm..:chuckle:
you say tierwhoring like there is already a list out or something.

not to mention if you consistantly beat someone while they are supposedly a counter to your character, then you are not equal in skill level.

learn what a tier list is before you mindlessly degrade them.

(i haven't read the last page yet, so he may be put in his place already and/or is a troll...)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
But the problem is, most of the people debating are Mid level players, the tournament scene reflects character matchups from High level play, we need more respected smashers posting in there and clearing things up to really make it accurate.
That's always an issue even when dealing with respected smashers, unless it's the absolute top player, it's never going to be perfectly accurate. You always have to accept that since you cannot have all the relevant facts on any issue, new information might always force a change in your conclusion. However, you are debating based on what is most likely correct given what you know.

Again, this is the case with ANY issue, be it smash, philosophy, or chemistry.

And all debate about Character vs Character need to go to the Matchups thread, stop spamming it in the Tier discussion thread.
Match-ups are critical to building a tier list... you can't have a tier list without match-ups. Match-ups tell you what characters have more advantages and what characters have fewer advantages, thus which characters are better. For that reason, when creating a tier list, you have to debate match-ups otherwise you have no foundation to base it on, and it just becomes personal bias.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
I don't meen don't any disrespect to anyone by saying this, but why is some people so stuck on a tier for a game that just came out I think you just at least give it a year then make your judgements. Even though some match are easy to point out.
As long as there are metagames for each character, a tier list can be made. You don't need to wait a year or any other length of time.

Besides, everyone is addicted to tier lists right now. This thread is proof of it.

That's always an issue even when dealing with respected smashers, unless it's the absolute top player, it's never going to be perfectly accurate. You always have to accept that since you cannot have all the relevant facts on any issue, new information might always force a change in your conclusion. However, you are debating based on what is most likely correct given what you know.

Again, this is the case with ANY issue, be it smash, philosophy, or chemistry.

Match-ups are critical to building a tier list... you can't have a tier list without match-ups. Match-ups tell you what characters have more advantages and what characters have fewer advantages, thus which characters are better. For that reason, when creating a tier list, you have to debate match-ups otherwise you have no foundation to base it on, and it just becomes personal bias.
I know that, but having noobs try and make it out isn't going to help the accuracy, we need people who knw what they're talking about, not clowns like that Boss guy who probably inhabit that Matchup thread and what makes it inaccurate.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Boss is currently the best mario in the world and amongst the best on the east coast. Thought I'd toss that out there.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yah, that's the one. Yeah, I was surprised too. We marios have nothing but our pride left.

D

Deleted member

Yea boss is amazing. Even tho i dont agree w/ him, and tiers do exist.

Also, new yoshi tech discovered so it might help the matchup against snake due to possible edgeguards against him, as well as other things in the future. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK1Vum1PE-w

Yummy, yoshi super jump.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Just trying to get more feedback then just from SRK.

Top:
Snake
Metaknight

High:
Falco
Game & Watch
King Dedede
Marth
R.O.B.
Wolf
Toon Link
Pikachu

Mid:
Donkey Kong
Wario
DiddyKong
Ice Climbers
Lucas
Lucario
Pit
Olimar
Zelda
Fox
Zero Suit Samus
Ike
Luigi
Sheik
Ness
Kirby
Squirtle

Low:
Peach
Bowser
Samus
Link
Charizard
Jigglypuff

Bottom:
Gannondorf
Sonic
Mario
Yoshi
Ivysaur
Captain Falcon

TehBo49

Smash Ace

Top:
Snake
Metaknight

High:
Falco
Game & Watch
King Dedede Move down a little.
Marth
R.O.B.
Wolf Move below Pikachu.
Toon Link
Pikachu

Mid:
Donkey Kong Switch with Diddy.
Wario Move to high.
DiddyKong
Ice Climbers
Lucas Probably should move down.
Lucario
Pit Move up a little.
Olimar Move to high.
Zelda Move to bottom of high.
Fox
Zero Suit Samus Move up a little.
Ike Move to low.
Luigi Move to upper mid.
Sheik
Ness
Kirby Move to upper mid.
Squirtle

Low:
Peach Move down a little.
Bowser
Samus
Link
Charizard
Jigglypuff

Bottom:
Gannondorf
Sonic Definitely not bottom tier. Move up to low.
Mario Also not bottom. Move up.
Yoshi At least put him above Ganon.
Ivysaur Same as Yoshi.
Captain Falcon
Comments in red.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
TehBo49:

DDD- According to the character ranking list he has the third best tourney record of any character, he's actually won more tournaments than MK as of now.

Wolf- He does better against more characters than Pika, so why should he be below him?

DK- M2K considers him a candidate for third best character in the game. Although I heavily disagree it does speak well on DK's part, also he does better against the high tier characters than Diddy, especially against Snake and MK.

Wario- I've argued this point to death and I don't feel like saying it anymore, Wario is simply not in the same class as the rest of the high tier.

Lucas, Pit, ZSS, Luigi, Kirby- All of those requests seem plausible since they're still kept within mid tier.

Olimar, Zelda- They have to many bad match-ups against the top/high tiers to be considered along with them.

Ike- He is far superior to all the characters in low tier, but I can see him moving to the lower end of mid tier.

Peach- I'm not to sure about this but I view Peach as being a slight bit better than the rest of the low tier characters.

Sonic, Mario- I can see Sonic moving up to low, as for Mario he deserves his bottom tier placement.

Yoshi, Ivysaur- Gannon is better than both of them.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
TehBo49:

DDD- According to the character ranking list he has the third best tourney record of any character, he's actually won more tournaments than MK as of now.

Wolf- He does better against more characters than Pika, so why should he be below him?

DK- M2K considers him a candidate for third best character in the game. Although I heavily disagree it does speak well on DK's part, also he does better against the high tier characters than Diddy, especially against Snake and MK.

Wario- I've argued this point to death and I don't feel like saying it anymore, Wario is simply not in the same class as the rest of the high tier.

Lucas, Pit, ZSS, Luigi, Kirby- All of those requests seem plausible since they're still kept within mid tier.

Olimar, Zelda- They have to many bad match-ups against the top/high tiers to be considered along with them.

Ike- He is far superior to all the characters in low tier, but I can see him moving to the lower end of mid tier.

Peach- I'm not to sure about this but I view Peach as being a slight bit better than the rest of the low tier characters.

Sonic, Mario- I can see Sonic moving up to low, as for Mario he deserves his bottom tier placement.

Yoshi, Ivysaur- Gannon is better than both of them.
DDD- Okay so good players play DDD that is great. It doesn't change the fact that he doesn't have an impressive list of good matchups and that he has some fairly blatant cons. Good, in fact great, but still too high.

Wolf above Pika- I am not too sure about this one but at the moment it seems pika has more options than wolf does and does better against those higher than him. I am not sure if that is enough to put him above wolf or not.

Wario- has a decent list of favorable matchups and has an impressive tourney results.

Olimar and Zelda- They both have a ton of good matchups against the rest of the cast and I am pretty sure that each of them has at least one good matchup against those higher than them.

Mario- Just seems like an upper low or bottom mid character to me. He is just a well rounded character and I don't believe he deserves being placed with those that have pretty heavy flaws

Ivy and Yoshi- Don't both of them have much better matchups then Gannon. Ivy is a below par character but I wouldn't say she is that low. Yoshi isn't that great but at least he has a couple of little tricks he can do.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
@ Corner Trap:

DDD-Yes he has many tournament wins, but matchup-wise he does pretty badly against other top/high tiers. He's still high tier, just not that high.

Wolf-Which characters are you referring to? If it's from the matchup chart, don't bother replying.

DK-He has poor matchups outside of the upper tiers though. Diddy does well all around.

Wario-He has more tourney wins than most other high tier characters. He's also a very good character as a whole.

Olimar/Zelda-Both have several good matchups in high/top tier. Their matchups aren't much worse than other high tiers.

Ike-Predictability, slowness, poor recovery, bad matchups, & susceptibility to camping puts him on the same level as low tiers.

Peach-Fair enough, I guess.

Mario-He's better than your giving him credit for. He's definitely not bottom tier.

Yoshi/Ivysaur-Ivysaur, maybe, but Yoshi is better than Ganon.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace

Top:
Snake
Metaknight

High:
Falco
Game & Watch
King Dedede
Marth
R.O.B.
Wolf
Toon Link
Pikachu

Mid:
Donkey Kong
Wario
DiddyKong
Ice Climbers
Lucas
Lucario
Pit
Olimar
Zelda
Fox
Zero Suit Samus
Ike
Luigi
Sheik
Ness
Kirby
Squirtle

Low:
Peach
Bowser
Samus
Link
Charizard
Jigglypuff

Bottom:
Gannondorf
Sonic
Mario
Yoshi
Ivysaur
Captain Falcon
I'm pretty sure the standard is six tiers now. Marth, D3, Falco, GaW, and R.O.B. have pretty much proven themselves to be above the high tier and some of your middle tier can compete with some of your high tier (DK, Wario, Kirby, Pit, Zelda, maybe I missed a few) and can hardly be classified as just "middle tier."

Well, now that I've *Slightly* gotten over my pure hatred of Ike, I think I've come to the conclusion that he'll be the "Gateway" character like Ganon was in Melee, the character that ends the list of effective, tourney viable characters that appear relatively often, which means he should be at the bottom of Mid or the very top of Low

bigman40

Smash Master
I lol at the poster who says that ganon is better than yoshi. Don't place yoshi if you don't know enough about him, and the character matchups chart isn't really good to use for yoshi.

Grunt

Smash Master
i will make my mario top tier...i will be immune to tiers....
That's like saying you want to get a flu shot, then going around trying to get sick.

you either dont bother with tiers, or accept the facts. if you and other mario reps can start placing really well in tournies, then his position will be heightened.

I lol at the poster who says that ganon is better than yoshi. Don't place yoshi if you don't know enough about him, and the character matchups chart isn't really good to use for yoshi.
Then don't assume he knows nothing. Ganon and yoshi are good in some aspects, but both characters are pretty low on the list.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ha seriously, I think I've played maybe one alright Ganon. I don't think that kid has ever played a good yoshi, anyone that has knows yoshi is major beast if used right.

I mean Ganon is slow as crap, But yoshi is on the faster end of the cast (faster than TL), he's on the heavier end of the cast (in the good way, he doesn't fall fast to get comboed easily but he survives pretty well), he has the BEST air speed in the game, good attacks for the most part. So I don't see why he doesn't get so much crap if he isn't like the worst at anything.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
The six tier system. It is an interesting setup. I am not exactly sure when it started but lately it has become almost a standard amongst tier list makers. However there are those that still would like to stick with the five tier system that was used for the previous games. So why six tiers?

Why six tiers that is the question?

It is most likely because of the character increase in brawl. It is also a little bit more than that. In brawl there is a large amount of characters that do well and there is also a large amount of characters are bad. With a five tier list systm you start to see section get pretty weighed down with characters. Sometimes it is with low and high were the characters who belong there just get thrown in. Some have tried to remedy this by throwing people into middle tier. Thus we get a massive sized middle tier with tons of characters that could go either way.

Why not make high and low so weighted? Well for one it makes mid look really small. Middle. Only the top and bottom should really be empty of characters as only a few deserve the titles of best/worst. Next thing we see is that some characters just don't belong. The high and low tier start to have little subsections under them. Having subsections may make a tier list harder to read or will cause massive debate on those who would like to see their character at least move up a subsection.

What are these so called subsections? That is simple upper and lower. With a five tier system you could potentially have an upper and lower high an an upper and lower low.

I don't believe this occurs. I am sure one could argue this. However it seems plain to me. Just go down a tier list and look at how the characters stack up against the person above them and the one below them. Somewhere along the line you will see that one character outclasses the other while the one below them is more equal to their value. This is where a subsection would most likely be made...and then debated.

What if we put them in mid? The biggest problem would be that it makes mid really top heavy. Middle tier could end up with three subsection just because of its sheer size. Also it just seems that middle tier represents the middle characters which would mean a good amount of characters just wouldn't belong there.

Why six? Well brawl has these unique characters that just don't fit in top but are still too good to make into high. Splitting them and throwing them around in a five tier system would cause heated debate, and many characters may end up in places they don't belong. Just by adding an upper/very high tier we avoid so many problems and we accurately categorize each character by their worth.

SaxDude93

Smash Apprentice
Ha seriously, I think I've played maybe one alright Ganon. I don't think that kid has ever played a good yoshi, anyone that has knows yoshi is major beast if used right.

I mean Ganon is slow as crap, But yoshi is on the faster end of the cast (faster than TL), he's on the heavier end of the cast (in the good way, he doesn't fall fast to get comboed easily but he survives pretty well), he has the BEST air speed in the game, good attacks for the most part. So I don't see why he doesn't get so much crap if he isn't like the worst at anything.
Not this argument. It has no stock. Besides when every character is played to their max potential (Which a tier list is assuming), Yoshi's max potential is low. Someone has to be on the bottom, and in this case, it's Yoshi.

One thing I'd need to adress to all future Tier list makers, If you're going to use the six Tier system, PLEASE use Very High and High instead of ths Upper than High crap, it gets very confusing and kind of annoying. If you must have an Upper Tier please put it below High, Upper IMO just sounds ******** :p

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
The six tier system. It is an interesting setup. I am not exactly sure when it started but lately it has become almost a standard amongst tier list makers. However there are those that still would like to stick with the five tier system that was used for the previous games. So why six tiers?

Why six tiers that is the question?

It is most likely because of the character increase in brawl. It is also a little bit more than that. In brawl there is a large amount of characters that do well and there is also a large amount of characters are bad. With a five tier list systm you start to see section get pretty weighed down with characters. Sometimes it is with low and high were the characters who belong there just get thrown in. Some have tried to remedy this by throwing people into middle tier. Thus we get a massive sized middle tier with tons of characters that could go either way.

Why not make high and low so weighted? Well for one it makes mid look really small. Middle. Only the top and bottom should really be empty of characters as only a few deserve the titles of best/worst. Next thing we see is that some characters just don't belong. The high and low tier start to have little subsections under them. Having subsections may make a tier list harder to read or will cause massive debate on those who would like to see their character at least move up a subsection.

What are these so called subsections? That is simple upper and lower. With a five tier system you could potentially have an upper and lower high an an upper and lower low.

I don't believe this occurs. I am sure one could argue this. However it seems plain to me. Just go down a tier list and look at how the characters stack up against the person above them and the one below them. Somewhere along the line you will see that one character outclasses the other while the one below them is more equal to their value. This is where a subsection would most likely be made...and then debated.

What if we put them in mid? The biggest problem would be that it makes mid really top heavy. Middle tier could end up with three subsection just because of its sheer size. Also it just seems that middle tier represents the middle characters which would mean a good amount of characters just wouldn't belong there.

Why six? Well brawl has these unique characters that just don't fit in top but are still too good to make into high. Splitting them and throwing them around in a five tier system would cause heated debate, and many characters may end up in places they don't belong. Just by adding an upper/very high tier we avoid so many problems and we accurately categorize each character by their worth.
So very well put *claps* pretty much one huge point I've been trying to get across for a while.

bigman40

Smash Master
@Grunt: I'm aware that yoshi's potential is low. However, it's not bottom tier material. If my post sounded like I was coming off rude, then I apologize.

Same to Saxdude. Yoshi earns himself in low tier. This has been discussed earlier, but everyone skips right over it.

Mokkepie

Smash Rookie
I have a decent amount of experience with brawl, so I'll jump.
Top:
tlink
marth
g&w
pit

Upper:
Snake
Lucas
Wolf
Falco
MK
Zelda
Diddy
ZSS
Olimar
Zelda
Luigi

Middle:
Mario
Sheik
DDD
Wario
Link
Ness
Ike
PT
Lucario
Fox
IC
Peach

Low:
Bowser
Ganon
JigglySamus
DK

Bottom:
Yoshi
Falcon
Sonic

Plus:
ROB in Upper
Pika in High Middle

Feel free to criticize.

@Grunt: I'm aware that yoshi's potential is low. However, it's not bottom tier material.

Same to Saxdude. Yoshi earns himself in low tier. This has been discussed earlier, but everyone skips right over it.
While Tourney results shouldn't be TOO heavily relied on, their honestly has to be a reason why Yoshi is dead last in tourney outings so far, and has some pretty bad matchups overall.

Sure while percived character potential can be disscussed and acknowledge, Tier lists are meant to be based of what we know and have for data NOW, not in the future. Sure, maybe they might rise and that can help them in current Tier lists Slightly, but it really needs to show in the factual evidence to at least somewhat prove it.

And before you bring up characters such as Zelda, the ICs, and Diddy, please note that ALL 3 have started to slowly but surely rise in performance. If this rate keeps up, seeing this where many suspect them to be, among the High Tier.

bigman40

Smash Master
I know what you're getting to NSS. Honestly, The bare minimum of Yoshi mainers THAT actually can make it to big name tournaments (assuming that's what you use) is very little. I only know of, at most, 10 yoshi mainers that go, and even less that place decently.

I'm not intending on making discussion on the future potential of Yoshi (most people don't listen anyway), but I'm talking about the Yoshi now. Even if Yoshi mainers place good in tournaments, I can't see him any higher than Mid-mid tier, and at the current moment, he can play about high-low, to mid-low.

I know that everyone knows that main disadvantages for Yoshi, but some that are stated as bad, should be even. I don't feel like going to the list, but if you need me to state what's different on it, then I will.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ha, I'm not saying yoshi's god or anything like snake or MK. Just better than Ganon is all :p

Even if a yoshi main were to win every single tournament in Florida for example he'd never be higher than mid tier, heck we all know of the wario ****** in california and no one gives wario credit.

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
While Tourney results shouldn't be TOO heavily relied on, their honestly has to be a reason why Yoshi is dead last in tourney outings so far, and has some pretty bad matchups overall.

Sure while percived character potential can be disscussed and acknowledge, Tier lists are meant to be based of what we know and have for data NOW, not in the future. Sure, maybe they might rise and that can help them in current Tier lists Slightly, but it really needs to show in the factual evidence to at least somewhat prove it.

And before you bring up characters such as Zelda, the ICs, and Diddy, please note that ALL 3 have started to slowly but surely rise in performance. If this rate keeps up, seeing this where many suspect them to be, among the High Tier.
Nobody plays Yoshi... that's why he's last :)

EDIT: And ganon is not a pile of crap like everyone says he is. His F-tilt is almost as godly as Snakes. A "combo" is better than Snakes (Snakes final hit on A-combo can be avoided, and grabbed)

Ganon has an amazing Spike, contender for best in game, good f-air, can tech-chase, his side B to d-tilt to f-tilt mini combo is grand as well.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Every tier list I look at Samus is low...can someone tell me why exactly, but WITHOUT using tournament results?
Samus is low tier for a couple of reasons.
1. Most characters beat her at her own game. Her projectiles can be canceled easily, and the fact that her Charge Beam can be destroyed by Ganon's neutral A is absurd.
2. Samus can't kill people until about 150% AT LEAST under most circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom