• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:: Official Brawl Info Thread ::. (Mod's Close)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman
Well... the update didn't explain Friday's, but at least it showed Mario being able to climb on the ladders in the stage. That's pretty cool.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
About these ladders? It's new to Smash to even have them, so I guess that's ok, but can you get hit off them, or will it do a animation, when you can't get hit?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the ladders either. At first I thought I won't be playing it because it's like Icicle Mt., but at least it doesn't go up and down randomly.

Also, it seems like characters with multiple jumps are going to have an advantage on this stage b/c they won't have to use the ladders.

edit: anyone know what those little orange and green things on the platforms are??

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
It says the levels goes up slowly, so I'm fine with it. The Ice Climber stage went too fast to even fight on.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Maybe this means that the Ice Climbers are dead because it seems that this stage replaces Icicle Mountain and the Ice Climbers. I can see so many people getting caught on the ladders and dying. This will be one of the stages that no one plays, I'm thinking.

Coolio

Smash Rookie
I think there getting rid of the Ice Climbers and there hated stage for the new Rumble Falls and this stage will belong to Diddy + Dixie!!!:)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
pretty sweet update.

seems to replace icicle moutain, but instead of switching between going up and down at diffrent speeds, this one goes up at a constant speed. plus it looks like you can climb ladders, which looks like a cool gimmick within the stage.

a cool DK stage to start the week

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
I'm betting the speed is fairly slow. About like the speed of Rainbow Cruise or Big Blue, in that it shouldnt affect the playing the way icicle mountain did. "Time out you guys, I gotta jump over and over untill we slow down"

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I'm betting the speed is fairly slow. About like the speed of Rainbow Cruise or Big Blue, in that it shouldnt affect the playing the way icicle mountain did. "Time out you guys, I gotta jump over and over untill we slow down"
LOL right, if it's slow I will play on this. If it's "ZOMGZ JUMP!!!" again we'll have problems.

The whole ladder climbing is intriguing, I can only think of how this will be used in our story/adventure type stages...

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
LOL right, if it's slow I will play on this. If it's "ZOMGZ JUMP!!!" again we'll have problems.

The whole ladder climbing is intriguing, I can only think of how this will be used in our story/adventure type stages...
you kno, i never thought of that. Melee was 3/4 fighting and 1/4 platforming after all!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i'm just wondering what that button thing is in this pic

i have DK Jungle Beat and i've never seen it in the game, so obviously it's something new. does it make objects appear? does it make it scroll faster or slower? or is it some weird gimmick?

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
i'm just wondering what that button thing is in this pic

i have DK Jungle Beat and i've never seen it in the game, so obviously it's something new. does it make objects appear? does it make it scroll faster or slower? or is it some weird gimmick?
possibly....i hope it doesn't change thhe speed. either way, Does Pit seem.....smaller to you guys?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Maybe this means that the Ice Climbers are dead because it seems that this stage replaces Icicle Mountain and the Ice Climbers.
How can a stage replace a character?? :confused:

I think there getting rid of the Ice Climbers and there hated stage for the new Rumble Falls and this stage will belong to Diddy + Dixie!!!:)
You're wrong. This stage says nothing about the ICs. It's just a better upscrolling stage.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
possibly....i hope it doesn't change thhe speed. either way, Does Pit seem.....smaller to you guys?
I noticed that too. I'm trying to figure out what he's doing... he seems to be standing in midair in the background.. maybe standing on the water... and what is he doing with his hands?

Also, this stage may replace Icicle Mountain as a better scrolling stage, but I fully expect the IC to return with a different, perhaps non-scrolling stage. I wouldn't expect them to keep all of the stages the same from the last game, so I don't see why people are yet again jumping to conclusions with this update.

One more thing: my prediction for the button under MetaKnight is that it's some kind of spring that you can bounce off of to get higher into the air.

Coolio

Smash Rookie
The switch could make the ladders appear or even change the speed the level moves at.

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman
How can a stage replace a character?? :confused:
I think the reason why we all think that the IC will be replaced is if they don't have a stage, how can they be characters in the game, and if you've played Ice Climber, you probably can't really think of another stage that would suit them other than what they had in Melee, that was pretty much their game in way better graphics.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
there are no ladders in the big picture so the buttons creating and destroying ladders is plausible (would be funny to see climbers fall too:grin:)

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I think the reason why we all think that the IC will be replaced is if they don't have a stage, how can they be characters in the game, and if you've played Ice Climber, you probably can't really think of another stage that would suit them other than what they had in Melee, that was pretty much their game in way better graphics.
Ok... and what logical reason do you have for thinking that the IC do not have a stage?

there are no ladders in the big picture so the buttons creating and destroying ladders is plausible (would be funny to see climbers fall too:grin:)

Those two pictures show completely different areas of the stage. That said, it's still possible that they cause platforms to move around suddenly.

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman
Ok... and what logical reason do you have for thinking that the IC do not have a stage?
If you've played Ice Climber, you probably can't really think of another stage that would suit them other than what they had in Melee, that was pretty much their game in way better graphics.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I was going to respond to this, but I have way better explanations over here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2623065&postcount=10
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2623144&postcount=16
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2623222&postcount=25
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2623310&postcount=32
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2623619&postcount=48

Anyone who can't come up with another stage for ICs other than Icicle Mountain is simple-minded. Besides, apparently they were supposed to have another stage in Melee.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
notice the word "plausible" in my post

seesh you seem to always argue when a person has a little different opinion

Ex: i play melee with one group of item loving and another group of item hating friends and both styles are fun and competitive so stop screaming that a person is having no fun or is too serious when they turn off items

viseversa to the other end of the spectrum too

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman
I was going to respond to this, but I have way better explanations over here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2623065&postcount=10
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2623144&postcount=16

Anyone who can't come up with another stage for ICs other than Icicle Mountain is simple-minded. Besides, apparently they were supposed to have another stage in Melee.
I see what you're saying about making a Battlefield-like stage for Ice Climbers with their original blocks. That could work, but I would say most of the stages in Melee came practically right out of their series, except for some like Yoshi's Story.

I have nothing against Ice Climbers, I main them, but I thought this update was pretty close to good evidence that the IC will be replaced by another duo.

EDIT: Who said they were supposed to have another stage?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I see what you're saying about making a Battlefield-like stage for Ice Climbers with their original blocks. That could work, but I would say most of the stages in Melee came practically right out of their series, except for some like Yoshi's Story.

I have nothing against Ice Climbers, I main them, but I thought this update was pretty close to good evidence that the IC will be replaced by another duo.

EDIT: Who said they were supposed to have another stage?
In the debug mode, there is an unaccessible stage called IceTop, and Icicle Mountain is called IceMT.

Also, if you watch any of crappycapturedevice's videos about Melee stages, you see that most of the stages are only loosely based off of concepts from their respective games. Ones that are a close rep are the exception. I think I discuss that in some of those posts, too.

edit: sorry, I just realized that those last three links were wrong. I fixed them now.

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman
In the debug mode, there is an unaccessible stage called IceTop, and Icicle Mountain is called IceMT.

Also, if you watch any of crappycapturedevice's videos about Melee stages, you see that most of the stages are only loosely based off of concepts from their respective games. Ones that are a close rep are the exception. I think I discuss that in some of those posts, too.
I was unaware of that, thank you.

Here's a list of the stages, I put a * by the ones I think we're practically taken right out of their game:
*Princess Peach's Castle (Super Mario 64)
*Rainbow Cruise (Super Mario 64)
Kongo Jungle (I don't even know which DK game this is from, so I don't know...)
Jungle Japes (Not really like it at all, just with its theme)
*Great Bay (Idk, but I think you just said it was...)
Hyrule Temple (Not even close, just the theme)
Brinstar (its just a Battlefield with Metroid features)
Brinstar Depths (Idk, never played...)
Yoshi's Story (Just the theme)
*Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World, I think...)
*Fountain of Dreams (I think it is, but not so sure...)
Green Greens (Don't think so... but not sure)
*Corneria (Starfox)
*Venom (Starfox)
*Pokemon Stadium (Pokemon)
Poke Floats (thats DEFINATELY original)
*Mute City (F-Zero, not sure which game)
*Big Blue (F-Zero, not sure which game)
*Onett (Mother 2 I think)
Fourside (I wouldn't know...)
*Mushroom Kingdom (Super Mario Bros.)
Mushroom Kingdom II (Super Mario Bros. II theme, but not really)
*Icicle Mountain (Ice Climber)
*Flat Zone (Game & Watch)
I didn't count Battlefield & Final Destination because they're originals to Smash.

Let's also look at Brawl's stages:
*Delfino Plasa (Super Mario Sunshine)
Yoshi's Island (just the theme)
*Lylat Cruise (Starfox)
*Bridge of Eldin (Twiilight Princess)
*Smashville (wouldn't know, but Sakarai said it should look like a familiar sight)
*Rumble Falls (Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat)
*The Halberd (I think so, but not sure)
*Mario Circuit (Mario Kart)
Angel Land (I wouldn't know)
*Pokemon Stadium (Pokemon)
Shadow Moses Island (I wouldn't know)
Burning Castle (I wouldn't know)
I didn't count Battlefield because it's original to Smash.

Practically right out of the game: 22/36
Originals: 14/36

The ratio for "out of the game" versus originals goes 11:7, considering that I said most I wasn't sure of to be originals. In any case, I suppose that it wouldn't be impossible to make an original stage for the Ice Climbers, but it would either seem unfamiliar or boring, I mean, Battlefield like stages are usually okay, but wouldn't it be boring if all they it was the same but pixelated blocks? Then again, if you could BREAK the blocks, that would actually be pretty cool. I don't really know what to think, but mostly, I don't think that's what will happen, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

(I clearly don't know squat about Nintendo's francaises so if someone wants to re-do my list for me, that'd be great.)

the grim lizard

Smash Master
They could either do something more like the IceClimber game with the blocks or bonus part or they could take a segment of Icicle Mt. And use that part as the stage instead of the whole scrolling part. These are just a couple options that would be a different stage that wasn't IM.

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman
They could either do something more like the IceClimber game with the blocks or bonus part or they could take a segment of Icicle Mt. And use that part as the stage instead of the whole scrolling part. These are just a couple options that would be a different stage that wasn't IM.
Ya, actually now I'm hoping that they use the blocks from the actual game that you can make the stage fall apart, but in an interesting way, not EXACTLY like Battlefield.

What I have against them re-using part of IM is that it would be kind of boring... try to imagine Rainbow Cruise as we see it now in Melee, and then them remaking it for Brawl with only the ship part, it's as if they cut out part of what we've already seen.

But I still don't really think that the IC will return anyway, there are much better duos out there...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Well, the thing about IM is that you could never really do much with the platforms and such because of all the chaos. I just mean that they could use some of the same components or something. Really, there are lots of possibilities with coming up with something for them...

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
the grim lizard said:
How can a stage [the new DK stage] replace a character [Ice Climbers] ??
I think if anything, the Ice Climbers would be replaced by Pit. This is because the IC's were from an old Nintendo game that everyone had forgot about, and now Pit is (possibly) the NEW character from and old (not as popular) Nintendo game...

but who knows, maybe they'll both be in it

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Well...Pit's had two or three games, and he's going to have one for the Wii. He definitely has that going for him, plus the fact that there are a lot more possibilities with him than...I dunno, climbing mountains...:p

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Well...Pit's had two or three games, and he's going to have one for the Wii. He definitely has that going for him, plus the fact that there are a lot more possibilities with him than...I dunno, climbing mountains...:p
XDXD I agree. Flying and shooting arrows sounds interesting for a Wii game, especially if the control scheme was TP Link-esque....like how Link shoots his bow in the game, Pit would too,etc

Sandy

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure they won't delete any characters. I always thought Nintendo like to appeal to everyone. Taking out characters would upset people. I really hated Icicle Mt., but if it's a SLOW Icicle Mt....I might not mind it too much.

foolmasterz

Smash Apprentice
i never play on ice mt either. i always thoght it would be cool if you could control links bow angle, you konw, while he was drawing it back...that would give a whole new level of stratigy in brawl for link

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
i never play on ice mt either. i always thoght it would be cool if you could control links bow angle, you konw, while he was drawing it back...that would give a whole new level of stratigy in brawl for link
Well based on the screenshot of Link shooting his bow, it looks like while he's crouched we may be able to aim it. But it certainly won't curve like Pit's arrows...

I have a feeling that many Link players will play as Pit simply because they are somewhat similar, except Pit can fly.

Sariku

Smash Master
Sorry for no update of the thread guys. I will now hopefully update it all tonight, if I'm allowed to stay on the laptop. My computer is screwed up, so I' have been on my Wii to do everything, and if you ever played on a Wii, you know its VERY annoying to type on. If you have any suggestions for me, or comments or questions, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom