• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Does Yoshi throw eggs? I don't know. Doesn't sound possible if ICs are constantly running after him, but I know very little about that MU, other than what I read in Z'zgashi's post. If there was infinite time, you wouldn't be able to win by blown-out running away, which would apply if that's what Yoshi is doing. If he's indeed chipping at the ICs, then I guess what you say would hold merit, but that's only if Yoshi is actually chipping at the ICs instead of, well, just running after getting a single hit in.

Edit: Actually no, scratch that. With an infinite timer, that MU would DEFINITELY be in the ICs' favor. It's only even now because of the timer. Do you think the ICs are going for a time-out? They just want to grab you so they can end your stock. It's not the same result at all. The Yoshis only win what they do because they're so good at keeping out of the ICs' grasp, so they get a quick damage lead and then run the clock, but the MU is still even. With more time to catch them, that MU would definitely be solidly in the ICs' favor. Another good example, I think, is DDD:Sonic. That MU is only +1 in our favor largely because Sonic can time us out after gaining a lead. If we were allowed more (infinite) time to catch him, that would be a solid +2, since we have the CG and dthrow > JC usmash on him. That and we can kill early while he can't kill and we have much better priority on our attacks.
I personally think ICs are -1 for Yoshi, but not too far from even, but every other Yoshi disagrees with me and says its definitely even so meh. I agree that with infinite time its a solid -1 though.

And Yoshi can definitely throw eggs at ICs, hes WAY more mobile so he can create a gap, and Yoshi can also do sliding egg tosses if you didnt know. Yoshi is also really good at separating the ICs cuz Egg Lay outranges everything ICs have but Blizzard, and if we retreat with it, its completely safe due to our mobility. On top of that, if we egg lay Nana, she doesnt mash out so shes in an egg for like, 4 seconds where we get to 1v1 Popo. We can also GR > Usmash them, so if we ever separate them or kill Nana, pivot grab stops basically everything Popo has aside from Ice Blocks, which we can easily hop over with egg tosses.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
All semi-serious joking aside, do you really think the elimination of a timer wouldn't affect tourney results or MUs? Do you know how many tourneys have been won by MK timing people out? What about the multitude of ICs MUs that are 'even' pretty much SOLELY because they can be timed out? What about Anti timing Vinnie (or maybe it was ESAM) out twice because he lost whenever he tried to actually fight him? What about Vex losing to Suinoko because he got timed out (when he was literally right about to win)? What about the practical entirety of the Kirby/Sonic/Yoshi/etc. metagame against a whole plethora of chars? :smash:
You actually don't know anything about Yoshi, please stop. His metagame hasn't been about timing out since the era of the Deltacamp, 2009-2010.

Does Yoshi throw eggs? I don't know. Doesn't sound possible if ICs are constantly running after him, but I know very little about that MU, other than what I read in Z'zgashi's post. If there was infinite time, you wouldn't be able to win by blown-out running away, which would apply if that's what Yoshi is doing. If he's indeed chipping at the ICs, then I guess what you say would hold merit, but that's only if Yoshi is actually chipping at the ICs instead of, well, just running after getting a single hit in.

Edit: Actually no, scratch that. With an infinite timer, that MU would DEFINITELY be in the ICs' favor. It's only even now because of the timer. Do you think the ICs are going for a time-out? They just want to grab you so they can end your stock. It's not the same result at all. The Yoshis only win what they do because they're so good at keeping out of the ICs' grasp, so they get a quick damage lead and then run the clock, but the MU is still even. With more time to catch them, that MU would definitely be solidly in the ICs' favor.
Nope. The same thing would happen that currently does. We dance around until we land an egg lay or something to split the ICs up, kill Nana, and then kill Sopo because Yoshi destroys Sopo. The only difference in strategy would be I couldn't just work to time out Sopo. But that strategy is only reliable if you have a solid enough lead so nothing unfortunate can happen.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
What, people were suggesting that? I didnt read over anything I missed besides Bubba's post cuz while I was skimming I saw Yoshi and my name, so I didnt notice.

That would be a horrible idea.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Or catches up in due time. It's just that the matches in which this might actually happen are cut short. You literally ignored every MU involving the ICs. Any sort of lead against them isn't a concrete lead. Heck, even a stock lead against them isn't a substantial lead. Remember what Z'zgashi (I think it was Z'zgashi) said? In a proper match between a good Yoshi and a good ICs, no one will ever lose stocks, because the Yoshi is going in with the mindset of timing the ICs out. That's the only reason that MU is 'even', isn't it? You can't have a mindset of accomplishing something that isn't possible. The timer is more significant than you're letting on.
...What....Please take a detour and read MU threads before saying/quoting things.

Timer is always significant, but only in relevance that a player has a huge lead to overcome (a few other scenarios too).

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
k I should be studying but I'll make this short post
Bubba, SL84, I think this disagreement is coming off of a misunderstanding of the term DQ, because it seems to me like this is what you guys are arguing

M2K extends DC --> Victory immediately awarded to Japan and the game must be stopped immediately = right decision
M2K extends DC --> Victory immediately awarded to Japan but we let them play out the rest of the match just for fun (ie no matter how the rest of the match goes, Japan gets the victory. Basically it's a friendly at this point) = wrong decision omg no no no you are the worst TO ever

So if DQ = award victory to other team, then yes M2K would have been "DQ'd on the spot".

Also Bubba
The one thing NO fair TO in his right mind does is allow a broken rule to go by unpunished and then invalidate the player's win after the fact just because it was different from what he expected.
So you're going to let M2K (or whoever else this may apply to) have false hope by leaving him in, and if something goes wrong by some twist of fate (it happens, lolz), you're going to just DQ him after the fact? Might as well just give the victory to the Japanese right away then.
So when a projector goes out, you're going to halt GFs and let the players cool down and lose their momentum, just to 'keep the hype'?

Edit: No offense to Alex Strife, but sometimes I think he forgets that he has a bigger responsibility to the players than he does to the spectators and stream monsters. This is a game FOR MONEY. You cannot be forcing the competitors to wait and cool down like that, just because the big screen couldn't be seen. That's really unfair and disrespectful.
If you're going to DQ someone, you do it on the spot. You don't wait until the match ends. This doesn't only involve the 'cheating winner', either. If a 'non-cheating loser' suddenly 'wins' a match that he actually lost simply because the TO spontaneously decided to DQ the winner for something that happened in the middle of the match, the TO is liable to make the loser-turned-winner feel like his victory wasn't actually earned, like it wasn't legitimate. This probably isn't that major, but it's just one of many repercussions. You just DON'T change match results just because you decided to hold off on a call. You seem to fail to remember that this is still a game that players play for money. When money is on the line, you don't just hold off on calls to 'keep hype'. You have a responsibility to the players first and foremost.
Yup, definitely seems like a misunderstanding over the term 'DQ'. I thought I made it clear that M2K would have been declared the loser as soon as soon as the DC was extended with these two posts.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=15328957&postcount=13828
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=15329010&postcount=13842

My point was that they should still be able to continue the game, solely for fun, knowing that Japan has already won, because the game had like 8000 people from all over the world watching at the biggest Brawl tournament in world history between top players from either side of the planet that get to play each other once a year.

Also @ Bubba again
So you're going to let M2K (or whoever else this may apply to) have false hope by leaving him in, and if something goes wrong by some twist of fate (it happens, lolz), you're going to just DQ him after the fact?
You make it sound like M2K is unaware that EDC and IDC are illegal XD
I mean I know M2K has been involved in a few ruleset disputes over the years but come on these rules have been in like...literally every ruleset at every tournament ever (except at Japanese tournaments) and this was the first time I've ever seen him do it. Give the man some credit.

So to clarify, if I was the TO during that match, I probably would have announced over the PA system that M2K broke the rules and that Japan had won already. I just wouldn't have forced the match to end shortly.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
k I should be studying but I'll make this short post
Bubba, SL84, I think this disagreement is coming off of a misunderstanding of the term DQ, because it seems to me like this is what you guys are arguing.
Wow...

So if DQ = award victory to other team, then yes M2K would have been "DQ'd on the spot".
Disqualification is in which the offending player is removed from the competition due to breaking one of the rules.
That is what a DQ means.
The result is that the person he was playing with wins by default which is a side effect of the disqualification.

That is the definition of a disqualification.

There is no "he loses anyway so its a DQ!" since its just nonsensical bull you're pulling to try and save your odd argument.

I have already read this and responded to it, stop repeating it like its going to strengthen your argument any further.
Honestly going so far as to try and argue what the definition of a disqualification means is stretching it.

M2K does something wrong, you DQ him, immediately.

My point was that they should still be able to continue the game, solely for fun, knowing that Japan has already won,
WTF?
I think the whole argument regarding precedents and standards flew over your head like a plane.

You stop the match, you DQ the offender.
because the game had like 8000 people from all over the world watching at the biggest Brawl tournament in world history between top players from either side of the planet that get to play each other once a year.
Do you recall when Brawl was at EVO and the top players were DQ'ed for splitting?
There was no, wait until they play their matches so that thousands of players can get hyped.

They can play AFTER the tournament, but until the tournament is done, M2K is DQ'ed and not allowed to play on any of the stations.

This whole half baked nonsense of "oh he loses anyway but let him play anwyay" cheapens the victory Japan would "think" it had won.
Why this seems to elude you is beyond me.
The integrity of the players and competition matters more than the 8000 viewers.
It is even worse when the commentator points out that he used a blatantly illegal move during the game it happened.

What do you think the 8000 players will think then?
"oh its okay im so ****ing hyped my erection can chisel mount rushmore right now."

Or will they think "Wow that was illegal? Why isn't the TO stopping the match?"

There is a reason gaming communities tend to look down at the smash community, this reasoing is one of them.

You make it sound like M2K is unaware that EDC and IDC are illegal XD
I mean I know M2K has been involved in a few ruleset disputes over the years but come on these rules have been in like...literally every ruleset at every tournament ever (except at Japanese tournaments) and this was the first time I've ever seen him do it. Give the man some credit.

... Its not the first time he has done it.
Even if it was the first time he did it, you spank his *** like you'd spank anyone else's.
M2K being M2K does not invalidate a rule.

So to clarify, if I was the TO during that match, I probably would have announced over the PA system that M2K broke the rules and that Japan had won already. I just wouldn't have forced the match to end shortly.
Which is why you'd be the worst TO.
You immediately stop the match, announce the DQ, give Japan the win.
Let them play their game after the tournament as officially ended and the rewards have been given out.

People don't like that the hype has been killed? Tough.
They'll appreciate it later on when they know that the TO is willing to call out even top level players and not give any special preference, based on the hype.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
They can play AFTER the tournament, but until the tournament is done, M2K is DQ'ed and not allowed to play on any of the stations.
Let them play their game after the tournament as officially ended and the rewards have been given out.
That was literally the last match of the tournament. Which is why I would have let them play it out anyway.
I wasn't around for the EVO splitting but that's a different scenario. In the case of splitting you would DQ the splitters out of the entire tournament because their splitting rises suspicions of bracket manipulation, which affects the rest of the entire tournament.
If somebody's just gonna extend their DC for about half a second in what's already the last match of the entire tournament and it can't possibly affect any other part of the tournament at all, taking away their chance at victory (and, by extension, large amounts of money and the glory of getting 1st place in doubles at the biggest brawl tournament in world history) is a sufficient punishment for breaking in-game rules, and it would have been more than good enough at setting the precedents you mentioned earlier. Taking away another minute of what is now essentially friendlies isn't going to make the message any clearer. You have something to lose by cutting the (now, friendly) match short (interest of viewers, hype, etc) and I don't really see what there is to gain (an extra minute to pack up and exit the venue? Like I said, it's not really going to be any more effective at setting standards)

This whole half baked nonsense of "oh he loses anyway but let him play anwyay" cheapens the victory Japan would "think" it had won.
Why this seems to elude you is beyond me.
I don't think it really does. Maybe to the viewers, but probably not to Kakera and Otori themselves. Over in Japan EDC is legal.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Alright, you've kinda appeased me V. :p

Im only skimming but are people honestly suggesting that we run tournaments without a game timer?
What, people were suggesting that? I didnt read over anything I missed besides Bubba's post cuz while I was skimming I saw Yoshi and my name, so I didnt notice.

That would be a horrible idea.
Pay attention to the convo before you jump to conclusions, guys! Absolutely NOBODY here is suggesting that tournaments should ever be run without a timer......................ever. :smash:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
That was literally the last match of the tournament.
Last match or first match it does not matter.
Circumstancial DQing is a bad thing.
snipped for space
First of, both splitting and IDC are both illegal, they are considered severe enough to warrant the loss of a tournament.
Who is to say that M2K didn't use the IDC throughout the entire tournament?
Who is to say how it would have affected things?

This is why they are both severe offenses.
Your circumstancial DQing nonsense can be applied towards splitting, after all, it could have just been fixing that match, we honestly don't have a way to know, which is why you punish severely.

Simply because it occurs in the last match does NOT change the severity of the action period.

Over in Japan EDC is legal.
Welcome to the USA.
You abide by the rules, or you get canned.

Why this seems to escape you is beyond me.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Last match or first match it does not matter.
Circumstancial DQing is a bad thing.
Way to miss the point. Look at what I was responding to.
First of, both splitting and IDC are both illegal, they are considered severe enough to warrant the loss of a tournament.
Who is to say that M2K didn't use the IDC throughout the entire tournament?
Who is to say how it would have affected things?
Splitting (because it arises the suspicion of the possibility that the players involved have manipulated the bracket in some way so that they can maximize the money they win) is enough to get you DQ'd from the entire tournament, I agree. Because bracket manipulation can affect the rest of the tournament, and corrupt all results. Manipulation in pools can corrupt results all the way to grand finals.
Not only that, but it also corrupts money distribution.
IDC is completely different. It's entirely in-game and doing IDC in one game does not affect any of your other games, even if they're in the same set. Extending DC in a game should result in (at least) a stock loss and (at worst) a set loss.
I suppose repeated cases of IDC could be punished even more severely.
There's also no reason to assume that anyone, who IDCs/EDCs in a given set, did the same in a previous set, unless that was also seen/reported.
Your circumstancial DQing nonsense can be applied towards splitting, after all, it could have just been fixing that match, we honestly don't have a way to know, which is why you punish severely.
Simply because it occurs in the last match does NOT change the severity of the action period.
wat

Welcome to the USA.

Again, way to miss the point. Read what I was responding to, because what you just said has nothing to do with what I was saying.

Edit: Also lulz
Can't find the Apex 2012 ruleset but in the 2013 ruleset, EDC isn't banned. Only IDC is banned.
(mooning)

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
DQing M2K in that situation is about as effective as infracting Cruxis for censor dodging

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
EDC is just a short IDC, I don't understand why there's even an attempt at a distinction. "Short" is subjective in this case, just ban the technique (or better yet, MK).

Also, I also think that performing any illegal action (bracket manipulation, IDC, whatever) is grounds for immediate disqualification. V, I see where you're coming from, but without consistency and enforcement our rules mean nothing. Putting discretionary asterisks on everything only puts mud in the water and leads to debate where there really shouldn't be any.

Does everyone remember when judo accidentally paused the game at the end and was DQ'd because of it? Lots of people were mad, but it was the right decision regardless of how much it diluted the hype in the venue and despite how mad it made a lot of people.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Welcome to the USA.

From my experience, in USA you only get canned if the TO's aren't your friend. At Apex 2012, many pro players arrived late at the 9 am mark set to start including the TO's themselves. Many top players were late for their matches during pools and doubles or were seen doing friendlies when they weren't supposed to. But when viviff was 2 minutes late, we did get the "threaten to get dqed" (he arrived 2 seconds before the countdown ended lol). And it's very often like that in many other tournaments.

I can't believe V just posted that. :applejack:
I'll be honest, I'm not really surprised.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
@SFP
I don't think you've been following. I already stated multiple times that giving the victory to Japan as soon as the DC was extended was what they should have done (and it was what I would have done), I just don't see any reason to cut the match short when you've already taken away his chance at a lot more money and at the glory of first place. If he knows Japan has already been awarded the victory but he wants to see if he can make the nearly impossible 1v2 comeback just for ****s and giggles, that'd be fine with me. :S

Saying "you broke the rules, therefore you lose the match." Makes complete sense. However, saying "I'm also going to take away your poops and giggles" just seems like icing on the cake of evil

Also I don't see what was so shocking about any of the things I said. Maybe people aren't following, or they're still reading the parts where I accidentally said 'DQ' when I meant 'stop the game'

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Fine, but this needs to be said: cheating when you're probably going to lose is still cheating. Your posts have sort of made it sound like you think cheating is OK so long as there's not much of a chance of you bringing a set back.

Letting them play out the set is fine I guess, but didn't M2k still walk away with money? Why?
From my experience, in USA you only get canned if the TO's aren't your friend. At Apex 2012, many pro players arrived late at the 9 am mark set to start including the TO's themselves. Many top players were late for their matches during pools and doubles or were seen doing friendlies when they weren't supposed to. But when viviff was 2 minutes late, we did get the "threaten to get dqed" (he arrived 2 seconds before the countdown ended lol). And it's very often like that in many other tournaments.
This is totally true and I've been trying to draw attention to this issue for a long time. So good luck getting anyone to care.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Yeah I haven't really been involved in this conversation and no one cares what I have to say anyway because I'm a troll, but in all honesty, thinking that enforcing rules for the sake of enforcing rules is the universally superior option is a mentality that most of us should have left behind in adolescence. It's not the WRONG thing to do, but it completely ignores the reason we even have rules in the first place: because they're there to maintain or prevent certain consequences.

What were the consequences here? There was no risk of compromising bracket accuracy. The outcome of the match was the same in either case. You can make the argument that DQing M2K on the spot instead of letting them finish their match-turned-friendly would serve the purpose of sending a message to the community, but in all honesty, "IDC = forfeit" is a message we've all gotten from the beginning. DQing M2K on the spot probably wouldn't have affected or effected anything in the long run in any capacity.

How about this, for the future: let the non-offending players decide if they want to continue the match or not, with the understanding that they've already won. There's more to being a good TO than enforcing rules for the sake of paperwork. Like has been said earlier, Alex Strife had the stream to consider as well (it's not every day they get to see this match, there's a reason Apex is the most hype event of the year), and in all honesty, stream hype was probably the only thing at stake here, inconsequential as it may seem!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It really is like this, and I wish above all else that this crap be put to rest. It's upsetting to see TOs give them so much lenience for the sake of putting on a show, or being their friend, or some other unjustified wish-wash. :applejack:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, that brings up another point. By cheating, M2K (and anyone else who's cheated at any tourney) directly disrespected the tourney, including the venue and all the players in it. They showed disregard for the TO's rules in place. That's just more reason to DQ him on the spot.

To be clear, though, V115, I'm at least happy you said you'd announce over a mic that M2K had lost when you'd seen that he'd cheated. ;)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
So in "conceding defeat" you show blatant disregard for the rules, and thus the TO and the players in the process? My, that's quite possibly one of the most disrespectful things you could ever do. Ever heard of losing (and winning) with grace? When I lose, I shake hands and smile.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Yeah I haven't really been involved in this conversation and no one cares what I have to say anyway because I'm a troll, but in all honesty, thinking that enforcing rules for the sake of enforcing rules is the universally superior option is a mentality that most of us should have left behind in adolescence. It's not the WRONG thing to do, but it completely ignores the reason we even have rules in the first place: because they're there to maintain or prevent certain consequences.

What were the consequences here? There was no risk of compromising bracket accuracy. The outcome of the match was the same in either case. You can make the argument that DQing M2K on the spot instead of letting them finish their match-turned-friendly would serve the purpose of sending a message to the community, but in all honesty, "IDC = forfeit" is a message we've all gotten from the beginning. DQing M2K on the spot probably wouldn't have affected or effected anything in the long run in any capacity.

How about this, for the future: let the non-offending players decide if they want to continue the match or not, with the understanding that they've already won. There's more to being a good TO than enforcing rules for the sake of paperwork. Like has been said earlier, Alex Strife had the stream to consider as well (it's not every day they get to see this match, there's a reason Apex is the most hype event of the year), and in all honesty, stream hype was probably the only thing at stake here, inconsequential as it may seem!
The issue is people tend to use the "enforce the rules as they please" based on emotionnal responses rather than off of logical ones. It all depends on whether you think that TOs are capable of being responsible, which so far to be frank they haven't. I can give you examples in GTA too of abuse by players (mostly montreal players such as Holy/Guard/Pappy) that were "okayed" because we were out of region but shouldn't have been. I'd rather have people enforce the rules all the time as they have proven to be incapable of making decisions based off of logic rather than emotions times and times again.

Basically rule utilitarianism vs act.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

That's... actually a great post, and pretty much how things are normally handled.

btw, I have no idea how the argument got this far if in the end, the player performing the IDC knows he already lost, and the rest of the match, as pidge said, is inconsequential.

swordgard

Smash Hero

That's... actually a great post, and pretty much how things are normally handled.

btw, I have no idea how the argument got this far if in the end, the player performing the IDC knows he already lost, and the rest of the match, as pidge said, is inconsequential.
The issue is at this point we aren't at a slippery slope argument (where letting this one thing slide might lead to people doing more and more things that should get them dqed), we are already past the slope and most people don't get dqed for things that they should.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
The issue is people tend to use the "enforce the rules as they please" based on emotionnal responses rather than off of logical ones. It all depends on whether you think that TOs are capable of being responsible, which so far to be frank they haven't. I can give you examples in GTA too of abuse by players (mostly montreal players such as Holy/Guard/Pappy) that were "okayed" because we were out of region but shouldn't have been. I'd rather have people enforce the rules all the time as they have proven to be incapable of making decisions based off of logic rather than emotions times and times again.

Basically rule utilitarianism vs act.
I don't disagree with this at all. The TOs may have made the "right" decision in this particular case for the wrong reasons, for all I know.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Way to miss the point. Look at what I was responding to.
Are you going to rely on this everytime you're given an answer you dislike?

How can using an illegal move NOT affect the rest oft he bracket?
If you win the match due to using an illegal move, you dump the loser into the loser's bracket, altering the possible results.
This is why it is illegal, because the advantage it can provide is much too large and can affect tournament results when it is utilized.

Similarly, the matter of splitting is more easily clear cut because of its possibilities, but that does not mean illegal moves have any less of an effect in a tournament.
To argue otherwise would suggest that using such an ability would warrant a much smaller punishment, but as we know, due to the extent of IDC, it can be just as bad.

It is ignorant to argue that what occurs in game can only affect what occurs in that singular match.
Forget it.
Again, way to miss the point. Read what I was responding to, because what you just said has nothing to do with what I was saying.
Yes it does, simply because you don't like the answer does not mean it has nothing to do with your point.

You were suggesting that it wouldn't bother the Japanese because in their ruleset, the IDC is not banned.
My point is that, this is the USA.
Those differences in rulesets become completely irrelevant, and simply because a few people may not mind due to a difference in ruleset, does not change the fact that at this tournament, IDC was banned, and that the DQ should be enforced.

Edit: Also lulz
Can't find the Apex 2012 ruleset but in the 2013 ruleset, EDC isn't banned. Only IDC is banned.
They're the same thing you derp. -_-

Yeah its been that way for awhile. Irks the heck out of me.

@SFP
However, saying "I'm also going to take away your poops and giggles" just seems like icing on the cake of evil
TO's are there to handle the tournament.
Not make people feel good about themselves after they broke a rule.
Sure you are taking a dump on the carpet, but go ahead and finish wiping your arse.

Uh. No.

Also I don't see what was so shocking about any of the things I said. Maybe people aren't following, or they're still reading the parts where I accidentally said 'DQ' when I meant 'stop the game'
How is it accidental if that is what you typed...?

Yeah I haven't really been involved in this conversation and no one cares what I have to say anyway because I'm a troll,
I don't think you're a troll.

It isn't a matter of, enforcing rules just because the rules exist.
There are several cases where the individual is exempt.
In this case?
LOL NO.

You enforce the rule when it is clear that the individual has broken the rule on purpose.
M2K has done this multiple times, and he STILL got money for being in second place.

So...wtf?

Except your argument is a dual bladed argument.
There is a risk of compromising bracket accuracy because if he was willing to do it in the finals, he was willing to do it before hand.

If he was willing to do it when in a losing position, he could have also won.
Worst possible case scenario? M2K wins, Alex hands him his money and we all sit there gong "herp."

How about this, for the future: let the non-offending players decide if they want to continue the match or not, with the understanding that they've already won.
Hey guy, this dude is DQ'ed from the tournament because he pulled an illegal move.
If you want, you can st there and play X amount of minutes as if all was normal, but hey, you are guaranteed a win.

Pretty silly.
There's more to being a good TO than enforcing rules for the sake of paperwork. Like has been said earlier, Alex Strife had the stream to consider as well (it's not every day they get to see this match, there's a reason Apex is the most hype event of the year), and in all honesty, stream hype was probably the only thing at stake here, inconsequential as it may seem!
If it is inconsequential, then there should have been no problem ending the match right there.
M2K has done this in the past, which makes the whole matter even more laughable because the rule isn't even being enforced properly in the first place.

"We won't DQ you because you lost anyway."
"Hey you're DQ'ed, but play the match anyway now that everyone on the stream knows that you screwed yourself over."

Using the IDC =/= forfeit.
Forfeiting is something that is voluntarily done with the intent of giving up.
Using the IDC= Disqualification.

The fact you said that shows that there is clearly something wrong.

The rule should have been enforced simple as that, and enforced in a manner that was harsh to send out a message that it is not acceptable regardless of how "hype it is."

Simply because "hype" doesn't do anything. People will still go to APEX the next year its just that next year, they'll know the TO's won't put up with crap that shouldn't happen.

You send the wrong message when you let people play anyway despite doing wrong.

Does everyone remember when judo accidentally paused the game at the end and was DQ'd because of it? Lots of people were mad, but it was the right decision regardless of how much it diluted the hype in the venue and despite how mad it made a lot of people.
Actually, I didn't really agree with that decision.
It was clearly accidental, and the best way to avoid having that problem arise was simply by disabling pause.

I would say it is one exception to the rule that would not have detracted from the tournament.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
If a TO makes a decision that you disagree with, but he can point to his 'rulebook' (should be on his tournament thread) and show you exactly what he's referring to, then his decision was very respectable in my book. The problem is that TOs often FAIL to prepare to this extent. They don't know/remember their own rules, they vary with their interpretations of things, and they don't put extensive 'rulebooks' in their tournament threads. :smash:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
There is a risk of compromising bracket accuracy because if he was willing to do it in the finals, he was willing to do it before hand.
Innocent until proven guilty. There is no record or even any accusations of him ever doing it beforehand, so you cant say he risked bracket manipulation when there was no evidence he ever even used it prior. Even if you suspect he might of done it before had, you cant just throw out the 'but he could have' card against him if there was never any before mentioned problems. While its possible he still could have in the past, you cant hold that against him, or towards the argument as there is no actual proof, or even questionable situations to cite.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Innocent until proven guilty.

This isn't a court of law. GTFO with that nonsense.

There is no record or even any accusations of him ever doing it beforehand, so you cant say he risked bracket manipulation when there was no evidence he ever even used it prior. Even if you suspect he might of done it before had, you cant just throw out the 'but he could have' card against him if there was never any before mentioned problems. While its possible he still could have in the past, you cant hold that against him, or towards the argument as there is no actual proof, or even questionable situations to cite.
You're ignoring the context in which I made my response.
The suggestion was that "hey, its not like it affected bracket in this case."

My point was that it COULD have in the past.
The possibility is there due to the effectiveness of the ability.
Which is why it is flat out banned.

Furthermore, M2K has done it in the past earlier in the bracket in other tournaments, that alone can suggest he would be willing to do it, as he did here, in GRAND FINALS.

As for the community...
Let alone accuse? M2K? Really?
Do you recall how up in arms the community was when EVO punished him for splitting and how a chunk actually defended him?

That is why it is important to enforce the DQ rules.
Mainly to prevent the possibility of it occurring in the future where bracket issues could arise.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I don't think you're a troll.
It's okay to be wrong sometimes. :awesome:

Did he?

Worst possible case scenario? M2K wins, Alex hands him his money and we all sit there gong "herp."
New rule for Apex 2014: We will DQ people based on what we think they could do.

Hey guy, this dude is DQ'ed from the tournament because he pulled an illegal move.
If you want, you can st there and play X amount of minutes as if all was normal, but hey, you are guaranteed a win.

Pretty silly.
Who cares? If they want to play it out, let them play it out, unless you're borderline running late.

If it is inconsequential, then there should have been no problem ending the match right there.
M2K has done this in the past, which makes the whole matter even more laughable because the rule isn't even being enforced properly in the first place.

"We won't DQ you because you lost anyway."
"Hey you're DQ'ed, but play the match anyway now that everyone on the stream knows that you screwed yourself over."
You don't get to tell the stream what it wants dude.

Using the IDC =/= forfeit.
Forfeiting is something that is voluntarily done with the intent of giving up.
Using the IDC= Disqualification.
You should be essentially forfeiting if you do something that's against the rules. Personally I don't care if M2K was DQed or just sent to loser's. What I'm arguing is that ending the match right then and there is pointless.

The fact you said that shows that there is clearly something wrong.
No it doesn't. I guarantee you that more people would have taken away disappointment at the match ending early than there are MK's sitting in their basements practicing their IDCs for Apex 2014.

The rule should have been enforced simple as that, and enforced in a manner that was harsh to send out a message that it is not acceptable regardless of how "hype it is."
Then DQ him after the match if the players still want to keep playinkg.

Simply because "hype" doesn't do anything. People will still go to APEX the next year its just that next year, they'll know the TO's won't put up with crap that shouldn't happen.

You send the wrong message when you let people play anyway despite doing wrong.
Yeah, I know I for one totally plan on CGing past 300% next Apex now that I know I can get away with it. I'm a DDD secondary and am friends with Alex after all.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lol, this is just dumb now.

ShadowLink being mad braindead, using arguments that never even happened.

Pls, find another instance of M2K EVER using IDC in tournament since it was initially banned. EVER. Even if its like, 5 years old, pls.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Lol, this is just dumb now.

ShadowLink being mad braindead, using arguments that never even happened.

Pls, find another instance of M2K EVER using IDC in tournament since it was initially banned. EVER. Even if its like, 5 years old, pls.
I actually remember seeing him doing it on stream once or twice lol. What tournament though no effing idea.

And yes it does dq them from money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom