• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
No im pretty sure alot of people would still use metaknight. And i do understand that. Im just surprised people dont learn how to use zelda...

:phone:

Steam

Smash Hero
People can win with any character. Ganon even pulls in halfway decent results sometimes.

You have to know that it's just about knowing the capabilities and limitations of a character that makes the list. If it was based solely off of results and the amount of money brought in by characters, we'd have a pretty different list on our hands.
results are more useful with the high tiers.

when you get to the low tiers results don't mean all that much since no one uses said characters.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
No im pretty sure alot of people would still use metaknight. And i do understand that. Im just surprised people dont learn how to use zelda...

Zelda suggs.

results are more useful with the high tiers.

when you get to the low tiers results don't mean all that much since no one uses said characters.
Steam every time I see your name I start singing that song by Peter Gabriel.

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
I use zelda very succesfully so it confuses me how the tier is so low. I know zelda isnt the best character but her moves arnt slow she can repel projectiles and does above decent damage

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Using zelda successfully means placing high at tournaments. Different interpretations of successful are around, but I usually deem it as placing in the money, because that's when you're actually gaining something tangible from playing the game.

To sum up why Zelda is low tier:

-Poor out of shield options
-limited range
-bad camping game (dins fire clashes with like everything)
-probably the 3rd worst recovery in the game
-terrible approach (worst in the game imo).

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
I wouldnt call this an 'official' tournament (mainly because it was run at a local teen club and was run by a 17 year old) but about 20 kids entered and out of the 2 single events they had i placed in first each time with zelda. I didnt win anything, but seeing by brother swear and throw his controler after losing to me in the finals is reward enough :) also it was kinda fun. Point is thats why i say i can use zelda succesfully.....if i lose at the real tournament ill take back all im saying now

Chuee

Smash Hero
I wouldnt call this an 'official' tournament (mainly because it was run at a local teen club and was run by a 17 year old) but about 20 kids entered and out of the 2 single events they had i placed in first each time with zelda. I didnt win anything, but seeing by brother swear and throw his controler after losing to me in the finals is reward enough :) also it was kinda fun. Point is thats why i say i can use zelda succesfully.....if i lose at the real tournament ill take back all im saying now

That's not notable. Winning a local gamestop tourney with ganon doesn't make me successful with ganon.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well ok, I guess there is no way to tell how much of an accomplishment that is. However, I can say I've seen this type of mindset countless times, and it always ends the same way; they always realize how good you can get at this game. From that point you can either be inspired or give up.

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
That's not notable. Winning a local gamestop tourney with ganon doesn't make me successful with ganon.
If you were fighting skilled players, id say it was succesful. Since ive never entered a large out of town tournament, i can only define my 'success' based on the local skill. Locally, im succesful. Nationally, that is yet to be determined. So i guess i cant say im successful with zelda yet.

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
Well ok, I guess there is no way to tell how much of an accomplishment that is. However, I can say I've seen this type of mindset countless times, and it always ends the same way; they always realize how good you can get at this game. From that point you can either be inspired or give up.
This too is yet to be determined for me. Since i have my first two big tournaments out of town, if i lose the first one i hope it would inspire me. Even if i lose its just a game. Its all about fun :) and even if it didnt inspire me id still enter the second one and try.

Chuee

Smash Hero
If you were fighting skilled players, id say it was succesful. Since ive never entered a large out of town tournament, i can only define my 'success' based on the local skill. Locally, im succesful. Nationally, that is yet to be determined. So i guess i cant say im successful with zelda yet.

Sorry, we can't judge your skill based on that.
Also, by successful, we mean placing in tournaments with notable players.

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, we can't judge you're skill based on that.
Also, by successful, we mean placing in tournaments with notable players.
That was the point of my last sentance. You cant determine my skill by this. I dont want u to try. Since ive only played people in my area for all i know i can be the best of the worst. A slightly better than horrible player. And out of curiosity, who do you use?

Chuee

Smash Hero
That was the point of my last sentance. You cant determine my skill by this. I dont want u to try. Since ive only played people in my area for all i know i can be the best of the worst. A slightly better than horrible player. And out of curiosity, who do you use?

Exactly my point. I'm not trying to say you're bad.
I'm saying you can't say classify yourself as a successful Zelda main based off of one local tourney at a teen club.

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
Exactly my point. I'm not trying to say you're bad.
I'm saying you can't say classify yourself as a successful Zelda main based off of one local tourney at a teen club.
I dont think ur saying im bad and i agree with what your saying. This is one reason why im dieing to go to the upcoming tournaments nearbye. So i can finally say 'good' or 'bad'.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Tournaments in Massachusetts, you say? :awesome:

Well, I think I can hook you up!

Mass Madness Legends 2 - July 2nd, 2011 - Framingham, MA
DNA Gaming & Entertainment #18 - July 16th, 2011 - Worcester, MA

They're quite a ways off in the future, but hey, you have something to look forward to, right?

In any case, I really like the initial approach you took to our community. You came in humbled, with an open mind, and ready to learn more. Definitely not like a lot of other newcomers who come in and say, "OMG IM SO GUD IM GUNNA OWN ALL U NUBZ LOLOL." I have to give you massive props for that, for sure.

Anyway, if you're trying to improve as a player, show your skills, learn more about the game, or to just hang out with an awesome community in general, your best bet is to go to an official SWF hosted tournament, I guess! I wish you the best of luck, and overall, have fun! Win or lose, go for it and have a good time!

Kantrip

Kantplay
Do most beginners charge in expecting to beat everyone? I would say most walk sheepishly in, doubting their abilities and if they should really be going. I know I did.

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
Tournaments in Massachusetts, you say? :awesome:

Well, I think I can hook you up!

Mass Madness Legends 2 - July 2nd, 2011 - Framingham, MA
DNA Gaming & Entertainment #18 - July 16th, 2011 - Worcester, MA

They're quite a ways off in the future, but hey, you have something to look forward to, right?

In any case, I really like the initial approach you took to our community. You came in humbled, with an open mind, and ready to learn more. Definitely not like a lot of other newcomers who come in and say, "OMG IM SO GUD IM GUNNA OWN ALL U NUBZ LOLOL." I have to give you massive props for that, for sure.

Anyway, if you're trying to improve as a player, show your skills, learn more about the game, or to just hang out with an awesome community in general, your best bet is to go to an official SWF hosted tournament, I guess! I wish you the best of luck, and overall, have fun! Win or lose, go for it and have a good time!
Ya i actually saw those two tournaments already and im going to both of them :) also thanks. Best part is while looking through several forms i found out a guy with the tag Fatal has won a majority of the tournaments and is entering the next ones. After that on a completely random form, under the top 5 players in the us for snake, i saw the tag Fatal. #3 in the us. Now versing a pro is a real way to test my skills :) win or lose, ill get to know and ill have fun!

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
Do most beginners charge in expecting to beat everyone? I would say most walk sheepishly in, doubting their abilities and if they should really be going. I know I did.

Im not going to make any assumptions until my first round. I dont expect to win it all. But i am far from doubting myself. Im not the best, but i at least have a chance of winning. How big a chance, i dont know. But i guess ill find out soon. But in the end its all about fun right?

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Well, of course payouts aren't the same as the skill of the people involved in the tourney, but there is a general trend of more skilled players being attracted to such tournies.

There's also going to be the whole "very skilled players in a low payout scene" scenario, but those are very sparse, and still provide results that are generally analogous to character ability.

Look at it like this:
- Low Payout, Low Skill: This will provide a slight, but inaccurate change to the overall charting system. Obviously, this isn't good, but is also mitigated by the small influence they have on the system. In the end, this is acceptable because we can reason the overall mean of these tournaments will provide some semblance of character ability, even though it may have its flaws.

- Low Payout, High Skill: This will provide a slight, but accurate change to the overall charting system. This isn't good either, because even though the data is reliable, it doesn't affect the system much. In the end, though, this data is fine because it DOES give proper results, even if they aren't very influential.

- High Payout, Low Skill: This provides a large, inaccurate change to the system. This is bad, but also doesn't happen. EVER. It's not a problem.

- High Payout, High Skill: These cause large, very accurate changes to the system. This is obviously good.

We can also reason that the results being processed are somewhat coherent to overall character ability, because the general payout trend is somewhat analogous to the current tier list.
I've seen High Payout, Low Skill tournaments before. That's how I've been able to to cut some of my losses from the more recent low payout high skill tournaments.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
is this going to be revised soon? it's so very outdated...
so i assume that's a no?

most noobs think they'll do well. but in reality, i can't recall seeing a first timer win a round in winners ever.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
You should always go to tournaments at random stores in towns.

I'm not saying they're places to increase your skill or anything, but if you can play on par with people from SWF, it's basically a guaranteed win as long as no one else from SWF actually shows up.

It's one of the perks of being a tourneyfag. ;p

Also shmot if it means anything I got out of pools on my very first SWF hosted tourney which had some 60 people attending. Although I did get ***** in winners and losers bracket right afterward. :awesome:

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
You should always go to tournaments at random stores in towns.

I'm not saying they're places to increase your skill or anything, but if you can play on par with people from SWF, it's basically a guaranteed win as long as no one else from SWF actually shows up.

It's one of the perks of being a tourneyfag. ;p

Also shmot if it means anything I got out of pools on my very first SWF hosted tourney which had some 60 people attending. Although I did get ***** in winners and losers bracket right afterward. :awesome:
I feel stupid but...SWF?

Attila_

BRoomer
i came 7th at my first tourney out of 50 people, but that when brawl had only been out for a few months. the metagame is solid now, and noobs don't stand a chance against anyone who's been playing for any decent amount time.

also, why is snake still second? revision plox.

C.J.

Smash Master
so i assume that's a no?

most noobs think they'll do well. but in reality, i can't recall seeing a first timer win a round in winners ever.
They just started it I believe.

And I did @ my first and second tournies... then lost the next two rounds... then didn't win another round in winners for 2 more tournies.

I feel stupid but...SWF?
Smash World Forums
Which is smashboards.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
SWF = Smash World Forums

The site we're on! ;p
Shmot, Snake's still second because he has retardedly good results. Even if he sucks on paper, tournament results are not saying the same thing.

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
i came 7th at my first tourney out of 50 people, but that when brawl had only been out for a few months. the metagame is solid now, and noobs don't stand a chance against anyone who's been playing for any decent amount time.

also, why is snake still second? revision plox.
Snake is second still because they havnt updated it in forever and also just because they havn't entered a tournament doesnt mean they arnt good....it doesnt mean they are good either lol

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Originally Posted by CrimsonFeint

A lot of it depends on the tournament you are going to and your relative skill level. I played a Japanese bootleg of brawl for months before the game came out and I went to tournaments every weekend the first month the game came out, so as a newcomer I was fairly confident I would do well.

I've also seen some players that are very new and really confident they'll make it far. These are usually the guys that brag about how they 3 stock all their friends and no one can touch them. They are also usually the guys that get really angry when they lose and don't go to more than a couple tournaments before they quit.

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
SWF = Smash World Forums

The site we're on! ;p
Shmot, Snake's still second because he has retardedly good results. Even if he sucks on paper, tournament results are not saying the same thing.
K i feel less stupid now. Hey what do u think the difference is between someone whos pro with snake and two level 9 snakes on a team?

OneCryptickilla

Smash Apprentice
A lot of it depends on the tournament you are going to and your relative skill level. I played a Japanese bootleg of brawl for months before the game came out and I went to tournaments every weekend the first month the game came out, so as a newcomer I was fairly confident I would do well.

I've also seen some players that are very new and really confident they'll make it far. These are usually the guys that brag about how they 3 stock all their friends and no one can touch them. They are also usually the guys that get really angry when they lose and don't go to more than a couple tournaments before they quit.
Haahaha reminds me of my brother. Even in small public matches, every time i beat him he still throws the controler and screams "BULL****" its fun to watch especially since he's 3 years older :)

Attila_

BRoomer
K i feel less stupid now. Hey what do u think the difference is between someone whos pro with snake and two level 9 snakes on a team?

about 9000.

don't compare cpus to people. practicing on cpus only makes you worse. seriously.

train your tech skill in training, and verse people.

its the only way you'll gauge your strength at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom