• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The risk reward ratio for grabbing snake is usually good for the person grabbing snake. Also, do you guys realize that when snake pulls a grenade, you have a decent amount of time to go in a grab him? Snake is like a tower that you slowly approach and rush when his defenses are down. He's not like wario where he can just air camp you for ever. He's gonna get grabbed, and if you're good the pay off should be great.

I can't believe I am even arguing this. Look at any matches vs snake. He gets grabbed a lot. MK vs snake? He gets grabbed a ton. Diddy vs snake? Gets grabbed a lot. Oli vs snake? Gets grabbed a lot. Falco vs snake? One grab is good enough tbh, but he usually gets grabbed a lot more at higher percentages. Pika vs snake? Again one grab is all the really matters. The list goes on. Ok sure maybe lower tiered characters might have issues landing a grab, but the higher tier characters usually don't have issues, and this can be seen in practice.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yeah, agree with this too. I think MK beats a large part of the cast really badly, but I don't think it's impossible that there is a character out there that avoids being exploited by him badly and manages to exploit his weaknesses. Fox seems really good at this (for instance, pressuring MK into the air and then mixing up with shine before attacking) and Pika isn't so bad either, as ESAM pointed out.
I still say that if MK ever has a true even MU, everybody and their mother will learn that one MU as a pocket counter against dedicated MK users.

Until then, it's simply another "close, but not quite there" MU. They're both 45-55 at best with MK, I'm still suspicious that Fox vs MK is more like 40-60.

If I had to guess, Pika, Snake, and Diddy would be the three with an actual chance of being truly even with MK IMO, for different reasons. Pikachu for not being easily gimpable and CG, Snake for sheer power/resistance to being KO'd and possibly being able to abuse his grenades to interrupt what MK is trying to do even in the air, Diddy for banana games provided that it doesn't turn out that in the future everyone figures them out.

ICs could be if we were all machines who play perfectly, and I don't think Fox has the mass to keep him safe if he messes up while being arguably one of the characters who struggles the most against even short term MK planking. Falco is on the same boat for planking issues.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Niddo, you are mostly flat-out wrong here. First, there is not a chance in hell Snake goes even with Meta Knight. MK dances circles around him safely and off-stage it isn't even a contest. Diddy Kong is closer, but no cigar there either. Both of these match-ups have been debated for what feels like centuries and the conclusion people who play the game and watch top level play closely is: they lose. Do we really have to go back to these tired arguments again?

More importantly, I want to know what you have against Fox. You were the first one to dispute his tier list position, and that's OK, because I mean, it's a number we assigned to him arbitrarily to rank him in the meta game and everyone is going to disagree on that. Hell, I even agree that Pikachu and Sheik hurt his viability pretty badly. But it's totally conceivable that his good qualities (of which there are many) add up to a perfectly fine match-up against MK.

Look, match-ups are not as linear as "this character is bad, this character is good, bad character loses" or Peach wouldn't win anything. (:awesome:) The reality is that Fox has good qualities and many of them happen to be strong against points where MK has weaknesses, such as vertical air mobility most notably, weight, vulnerability to fast projectiles at long-range (MK basically always has to approach) etc. And of course, we have a LGL in the Unity Ruleset now.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If I had to bet money on a character to go even with MK in this game, it would be IC's. While in practice they are a long shot vs Diddy/other characters claiming for that title, they are the only character that really stands out as "Yeah I can honestly see them doing well".

With that said, Fox. I'm not gonna be a naysayer, but I think his mixup game/running game against MK is weaker than people hold it out to be. "Run, shoot lasers, jump into the air and fake him out" to me translates into "Run, compensate the space you give MK by shooting a projectile, and hope he guesses wrong so you can jump over him/airdodge/shine stall/pull something out your butt and keep this cycle going".

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
If I had to bet money on a character to go even with MK in this game, it would be IC's. While in practice they are a long shot vs Diddy/other characters claiming for that title, they are the only character that really stands out as "Yeah I can honestly see them doing well".
No way. MK is too safe on their shield, too good against them off-stage, and camps them too well. Any well-spaced attack pokes them just out of shieldgrab range and pushes them back too far to land the grab. Even if ICs and MK were both played by perfect Brawl machines I don't think ICs would win because MK is probably the only character that can literally avoid getting grabbed by them for an entire set with perfect play.

With that said, Fox. I'm not gonna be a naysayer, but I think his mixup game/running game against MK is weaker than people hold it out to be. "Run, shoot lasers, jump into the air and fake him out" to me translates into "Run, compensate the space you give MK by shooting a projectile, and hope he guesses wrong so you can jump over him/airdodge/shine stall/pull something out your butt and keep this cycle going".
So wait, how does anyone win any match-up? Fox has a strong mix-up game vs. MK, which is a character trait, not a player trait. He forces MK to guess, so he controls the flow of the match. When you watch any good Fox play an MK it's obvious that's what is happening to me anyway.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Niddo, you are mostly flat-out wrong here. First, there is not a chance in hell Snake goes even with Meta Knight. MK dances circles around him safely and off-stage it isn't even a contest. Diddy Kong is closer, but no cigar there either. Both of these match-ups have been debated for what feels like centuries and the conclusion people who play the game and watch top level play closely is: they lose. Do we really have to go back to these tired arguments again?
Only if you want to. I still see people say that Diddy Kong could be even, and I still believe Snake possibly has the tools. The ability to disrupt MK's string of air attacks by pulling out a grenade is not something to laugh about. Even if Snake has a fair bit more damage, MK is a whole lot lighter, so it's a fair enough gamble. Snake also arguably has some of the best tools to punish MK if he messes up with his long range, fast tilts. It's not out of the realm of possibility by any means, but no, it's not there right now. That's why I said it could be, not it is.

More importantly, I want to know what you have against Fox. You were the first one to dispute his tier list position, and that's OK, because I mean, it's a number we assigned to him arbitrarily to rank him in the meta game and everyone is going to disagree on that. Hell, I even agree that Pikachu and Sheik hurt his viability pretty badly. But it's totally conceivable that his good qualities (of which there are many) add up to a perfectly fine match-up against MK.
I always go after the latest overhyped character until they get taken back down to their proper level. I did that with PT and Pit after all. Fox just happens to be that one atm. Next tier list when Fox gets bumped down, I'll move onto the next character.

I also never said that he didn't have any good qualities for the MU against MK. If that was true, it would be a 100-0 MU now, wouldn't it? The fact I'm saying it's 60-40 means that I'm acknowledging he has a good number of tools against MK. However, I also believe he's simply the next in the very long list of "ZOMG, X CHARACTER MAY GO EVEN WITH MK" hypetrain in addition to the tier list hype train. Again, if he's that good against MK, why aren't people who are willing to use multiple characters bothering to learn how to use Fox?

Yes his Shine helps a lot, yes he can refresh his moves and tack on free damage with his lasers, yes his Usmash is amazing, but he still has holes in his game against MK. He can't use his laser to set up a kill like Falco can, in fact he can't even disrupt MK from whatever it was he's trying to do with his laser. MK has to approach yes, but he's free to approach whichever way he wants to. He's still a very light character, meaning that he has a much smaller margin for error. He does generally at least rely on his Usmash for kills, meaning that's something that can be at least partly CP'd against by picking the stages with the higher ceilings. And Fox doesn't have much to use against MK's planking, or anyone's planking, which hinders Fox's "forcing an approach" game near the end of the match if MK has the lead.

To put it bluntly: I think Falco does better than Fox against MK, and there is no way Falco is even. Thus, there is no way Fox is even. *shrugs*

Look, match-ups are not as linear as "this character is bad, this character is good, bad character loses" or Peach wouldn't win anything. (:awesome:) The reality is that Fox has good qualities and many of them happen to be strong against points where MK has weaknesses, such as vertical air mobility most notably, weight, vulnerability to fast projectiles at long-range (MK basically always has to approach) etc. And of course, we have a LGL in the Unity Ruleset now.
Never said how good or bad a character is determines how they do in a MU. LGL doesn't stop temporary planking. The reality is, Fox simply does better than a good portion of the cast against MK, but he's not even against him.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Except he doesn't force MK to guess "hard" I guess is my point. Sure, Fox has some options for "crossing over" in the air or on the ground, but I just don't think it compares to MK's options at handling it. Who's in a better position if Fox is in the air and MK is on the ground? Or even, if both characters are in the air? I mean, look at Wario. His moblie Fatass has to worry about all sorts of **** in a similar scenario or spot Fox would aim for. Gotta worry about shuttle loop, Tornado, Uair, Fair, Nair if I airdodge into him, etc. I mean sure I can mixup DJ's, fast falls, delay attack timings, throw in airdodge mixups, etc. But I'm skating on thin ice the whole time that is going on. I think Fox is no different, and I think that "ability" of his so to speak is overrated.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Snake is extremely hard to grab. He also beats Olimar like +1

:059:
I really think Olimar beats Snake +1. It's very hard for Snake to get into Olimar's zoning. He's sucha small character and his grab range is quite large.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBM4uhvQht0
How the matchup should be played.^
Even though I think people are too hard on Snake I gotta say I think he loses to Pikachu, but not badly. It's hard to ignore that a low percent grab means he probably loses a stock. And I don't think Pikachu has too hard of a time grabbing Snake. That doesn't mean it's always going to happen, but avoiding the grab isn't exactly a foregone conclusion either.

Also, I feel like every time people talk about Snake, he dies later, is harder to grab, camps better, has a better air game, and bakes cookies faster. Snake's pretty good, you don't have to exaggerate his strengths to make a point. I mean yeah, sometimes Snake dies at 250 when you've staled all your kill moves and can't get a read, but it isn't usually that severe. Also, Snake players take tons of damage off-stage every match and is usually outright gimped once or twice a set but I don't see people mentioning that.
Well Snake's nades make Pikachu getting the cg off difficult. It's like Snake vs Ics except Pikachu can't always cg Snake. It's probably -1 Snake.
The risk reward ratio for grabbing snake is usually good for the person grabbing snake. Also, do you guys realize that when snake pulls a grenade, you have a decent amount of time to go in a grab him? Snake is like a tower that you slowly approach and rush when his defenses are down. He's not like wario where he can just air camp you for ever. He's gonna get grabbed, and if you're good the pay off should be great.

I can't believe I am even arguing this. Look at any matches vs snake. He gets grabbed a lot. MK vs snake? He gets grabbed a ton. Diddy vs snake? Gets grabbed a lot. Oli vs snake? Gets grabbed a lot. Falco vs snake? One grab is good enough tbh, but he usually gets grabbed a lot more at higher percentages. Pika vs snake? Again one grab is all the really matters. The list goes on. Ok sure maybe lower tiered characters might have issues landing a grab, but the higher tier characters usually don't have issues, and this can be seen in practice.
The reward for Wolf dthrow'ing Snake is either a free punish (If he techs) or forcing him to fly offstage and low. It puts him in awkward positions.
Yeah pretty much. Wolf's game vs Mk is similar to Fox's. He camps Mk with a projectile, punishes Mk very hard, and his aerial mobility allows him to move around swiftly. Though, Wolf's recovery isn't as linear/predictable as Fox's and his weight alone makes Mk have a hard time killing him. Killing Fox around the 120's isn't surprising, while Wolf will live till around 180's regularly (Mk's exhaust their kill moves and stale them as they struggle to kill Wolf).

If Falco or Fox had Wolf's weight then they'd arguably have an advantage on Mk, but they don't so it doesn't matter.

I just realized...This is the tier list discussion. Shouldn't we be discussing this in the matchup chart LOL?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Depends. If you're using this discussion as a note on whether MK should be in his own tier, whether he has any even MU's, how a character's viability could be affected for truly having an even MU with MK, etc

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If Falco or Fox had Wolf's weight then they'd arguably have an advantage on Mk, but they don't so it doesn't matter.
Fine then, let's make a Star Fox character with Wolf's weight and Dsmash, Falco's lasers and Fsmash, and with Fox's Shine and Usmash. We now have an MK counter. :awesome:

Chuee

Smash Hero

Snake has a lot of options from grenade pull however. He can grab and shield, so running up and grabbing probably won't work too often. Even with that most snake's pull grenades from a safe distance. The characters you listed are probably the characters that are the easiest to get grabs with. Olimar? Pretty much one of the best grabs in the game with ridiculous range. Diddy? Everytime diddy hits with a banana on ground thats a grab. The others, maybe, however they don't get grabs as often as those two. Also, snake can get grabs near as often as those characters, while he may not get as much damage from some of them, he still gets a free ftilt/utilt/grab from a correct read. Not to mention they only have 4 options from dthrow.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Fine then, let's make a Star Fox character with Wolf's weight and Dsmash, Falco's lasers and Fsmash, and with Fox's Shine and Usmash. We now have an MK counter. :awesome:
No@Falco's Fsmash. If you keep Wolf's Fsmash then you have the best Mk punisher. It's like 14% and can be used out of grab release and everytime Mk dashes or out of Bair combos.

Ideal star fox godlike character would have this moveset:
Bair- Wolf
Fair- Fox
Uair- Wolf
Dair- Falco
Nair- Fox
Dthrow- Falco
Bthrow- Wolf
Fthrow- Wolf
Uthrow- Wolf
Usmash- Fox
Dsmash- Wolf
Fsmash- Wolf
Weight- Wolf
Fall speed- Fox
Ftilt- Falco
Utilt- Fox
Dtilt- Wolf
Dtaunt- Falco
Utaunt- Falco
Ftaunt- Wolf
Dash speed- Fox
Up b- Fox
Down b- Wolf
Neutral b- Falco
Side b- Falco
Pummel- Falco

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Why bring in snake can get grabs too? I am talking strictly about people getting grabs on him. Yes, olimar and diddy get easy grabs on anyone, but my point still stands... Snake is not an exception. Both diddy and oli have issues grabbing characters who are hard to grab (MK, squirtle, wario etc.). Also, ftilt isn't much of a threat tbh. Not to say I do this consistently, but if you sdi ftilt it's not a good move. I am disappointed people haven't caught on to doing this yet :/. Also grabbing snake OoS from his ftilt should happen WAY more than it does.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Why would you want to Fsmash MK out of GR when you can fox Usmash out of it :awesome:

Although I agree with Wolf's Fsmash >Falco's overall

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Why would you want to Fsmash MK out of GR when you can fox Usmash out of it :awesome:

Although I agree with Wolf's Fsmash >Falco's overall
To save the Usmash for higher percents. You Fsmash at lower percents when Usmash won't kill and to not stale it.

I mean, if you give Walcox (Wolf/Falco/Fox name loool) Fox's Usmash then you remove Wolf's Usmash (and Dacus). Walcox would have Wolf's Dacus with Fox's Usmash :awesome:.

This monster would be disgusting...Wolf's Bair already combos into Dacus. Imagine that Dacus as Fox's Usmash!

Chuee

Smash Hero
Why bring in snake can get grabs too? I am talking strictly about people getting grabs on him. Yes, olimar and diddy get easy grabs on anyone, but my point still stands... Snake is not an exception. Both diddy and oli have issues grabbing characters who are hard to grab (MK, squirtle, wario etc.). Also, ftilt isn't much of a threat tbh. Not to say I do this consistently, but if you sdi ftilt it's not a good move. I am disappointed people haven't caught on to doing this yet :/. Also grabbing snake OoS from his ftilt should happen WAY more than it does.
Well, because snake can get just about the same amount of damage some characters can get on him from a grab with his.
loool @ Ftilt not being a threat. Im sorry, but SDI doesn't work unless you're standing right in front of him unless you have like unhuman SDI or some ****. Grabbing snake from ftilt? died again. If snake actually bothers to space his ftilt and not ftilt 2 on shield he should never be getting grabbed on shield.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well, because snake can get just about the same amount of damage some characters can get on him from a grab with his.
loool @ Ftilt not being a threat. Im sorry, but SDI doesn't work unless you're standing right in front of him unless you have like unhuman SDI or some ****. Grabbing snake from ftilt? died again. If snake actually bothers to space his ftilt and not ftilt 2 on shield he should never be getting grabbed on shield.
Umm what? When aren;t you infront of him when he ftilts? This is a 2D game, you can't be off to the side or something. Grabbing snake from ftilt is easy. It's easy to see coming so just PS to grab, it happens a lot. Also shield DI can be done. Also if he just ftilt1 you can punish anyways. That is not a safe move.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Umm what? When aren;t you infront of him when he ftilts? This is a 2D game, you can't be off to the side or something. Grabbing snake from ftilt is easy. It's easy to see coming so just PS to grab, it happens a lot. Also shield DI can be done. Also if he just ftilt1 you can punish anyways. That is not a safe move.
Uh, I mean like 1 inch from him. Grabbing snake from ftilt is only easy if snake doesn't space.
It isn't easy to PS anyways lmao. It's like 4 frames lol.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You are absolutely right. The problem is that snake has little to no other options. He can grab or he can dash attack. Utilt is an option, but why stale his only good kill move? When you get close to him his only options become grab, dodge, maybe dash attack and ftilt. Dash attack, dodge and ftilt you can cover with shield though :/.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
From experience and just straight up observation, most of the time when jab is used is when snake wants to do jab -> ftilt or maybe sometimes jab to grab. I don't think the speed difference between ftilt and jab would make any difference in the timing of your shield.

Jab is also a lot easier to punish OoS, and jab combo is punishable on hit.

Coney

Smash Master
You are absolutely right. The problem is that snake has little to no other options. He can grab or he can dash attack. Utilt is an option, but why stale his only good kill move? When you get close to him his only options become grab, dodge, maybe dash attack and ftilt. Dash attack, dodge and ftilt you can cover with shield though :/.
wait, so your argument against snake is that he's very predictable when you get in

and in the same breath you say ddd beats him because he's easy to grab as ddd

conveniently ignoring that ddd has even less options up close, making him even more predictable

you are skewed

Alphicans

Smash Hero
There are a lot of factors left out there. Sure if both of them walked up to each other snake would have an upper hand, but doesn't DDD usually just try to approach from the air and then when he lands either swallow, bair, grab or utilt? Something like that? DDD also has it really easy when grabbing snake's ftilt.

And sure maybe DDD is more predictable, but I'd think that both dodge and his giant grab are better than snake's options.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Snake doesn't usually ftilt D3's shield unless there's something to help prevent the grab or disrupt the CG like grenades around, that thing's like always unsafe against D3.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well ftilting the majority of character's shields is pretty unsafe :/. But due to the ease of DDD being able to punish, ftilt becomes a risky move... Successfully eliminating one of snake's best options. Which is a big reason why I think DDD beats snake.

EDIT: uggh why am I even trying to argue over character attributes? It should be obvious that DDD beats snake. Why? Because of stages. I can't really think of any stage that snake can take DDD to that gives him a solid advantage. I can think of 2-3 for DDD. Even if the matchup was 50-50 on neutrals, DDD would still win the match-up because he has RC, delfino and possbily castle siege.

Zak if there is a stage snake can take DDD to that gives him a good advantage I'd like to hear it. I am not really 100% sure after all.

Coney

Smash Master
actually, you're very right about the stage thing, i don't ever consider that for some reason...

in my experience, snake wins solidly on BF and lylat...FD is really good for snake too, if he plays it right

also ddd can't approach from the air in the matchup; his only landing options are swallow/reverse swallow (can eat a grenade), ff airdodge (can get anything'd), bair (shield to anything'd) and that's basically it. he has a really hard time landing, as much as snake does, and if snake counts his four jumps correctly he can even jump up with a surprise aerial since ddd's mobility is so bad. he has to stay grounded. grab DOES beat nearly everything snake does, but snake has so many things he can do that timing it is extremely difficult.

i mean i don't mean to argue the matchup, we can both produce points for either side, i'm just trying to say that i think you're giving allowances for some characters without offering the same for others

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol, a lot of people don't consider the stage factor when discussing this stuff, and sometimes I don't either. I just thought of that like 10 minutes ago haha.

I try my best to consider the lack and gain of options in every situation but it's hard to think of everything. I play DDD (one of my secondaries), but I don't play him a lot so it's hard for me to visualize everything.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I feel like they were trying to soften how much better he is by not giving him +5 vs peach and DK

I have no objections to 0's vs fox and pika however *shrug*
Why are they even?

Lol, a lot of people don't consider the stage factor when discussing this stuff, and sometimes I don't either. I just thought of that like 10 minutes ago haha.

I try my best to consider the lack and gain of options in every situation but it's hard to think of everything. I play DDD (one of my secondaries), but I don't play him a lot so it's hard for me to visualize everything.
Some if not most don't fluctuate match-ups heavily.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

I said the stage stuff earlier when arguing Snake vs D3 (Requotes self below) V
Seagull said:
I could see Snake giving D3 problems on few stages like Brinstar, Norfair (Isn't legal), or Halberd. I cannot see D3 having problems at all on Fd, Smashville (A stage very small with little platform versatility for D3 to have significant problems with), Yoshi's island, Lylat (I think D3 would give Snake lots of problems here), Castle Siege, Delfino, Rainbow Cruise, Ps1, or Pictochat. I can't see Snake having a solid advantage on any stage that he would have an advantage on by D3 in comparison. D3 on the other hand has a plethora of stages to choose from that'll definitely tip the matchup in his favor.
And you said D3 wins solidly on Bf so I edited that out since I said Snake does well there. Brinstar for Snake vs D3 would be...awkward as ****. I don't know who would have the advantage/disadvantage on that stage because both characters suck there. I assume Snake would control brinstar because of his projectile compared to D3 who couldn't move around the stage well enough.

Coney

Smash Master

fair nuff! like i said, i underrate ddd a lot too so i like it when people challenge my pessimistic attitudes about his matchups.

and yeah i always forget stage discussions, prolly because me and my region only ever play on SV and never counterpick lmfao

I said the stage stuff earlier when arguing Snake vs D3 (Requotes self below) V

And you said Snake wins solidly on Bf so I edited that out since I said Snake does well there. Brinstar for Snake vs D3 would be...awkward as ****. I don't know who would have the advantage/disadvantage on that stage because both characters suck there. I assume Snake would control brinstar because of his projectile compared to D3 who couldn't move around the stage well enough.
snake would win on brinstar for sure--they're both awful there, but snake can control the small space better. it's why he wins on BF too. too big, snake can camp hard...too small, ddd can't get away and snake racks up tons of damage...needs to be a medium.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I can see snake beating DDD on BF. Not sure on lylat or FD though. Snake would have to win on two stages for it to matter though. I think I am gonna get some matches in vs snakes as DDD on these stages so I can get a full understanding on this.

@red ryu: well atm we are talking about DDD vs snake and it could very well mean a big difference. GaW vs falco is also a match-up where stages are a huge deal. These are just two examples.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I could see it for DDD vs Snake, dunno about Falco since it seems DEHF doesn't agree with that with G&W.

@: Zak: I think you give pretty fair input on your opinions, I respect it greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom