• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Ask Anyone Frame Things Thread

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Couple questions...
1. Can you tech during hitlag or does it have to be hitstun only
2. What is the earliest you can tech falcon's up-b? I've been doing it as soon as falcon releases me. when I'm like adjacent to a wall I miss it all the time. Does falcon's up-b incur hitlag?
3. For special attacks like fox's up-b and side b here http://smashboards.com/threads/complete-fox-hitboxes-and-frame-data.285177/ there are both land lag and landfallspecial lag. Do I just add both those up to get the total landing lag? I'm looking at the marth frame data thread here http://smashboards.com/threads/complete-marth-hitboxes-and-frame-data.285324/ and it only has landfallspecial lag
1. You can tech during hitlag. That's what happens when you do stuff like this. If you input the tech during hitlag however, the tech buffer will be 1 frame instead of 20, which sucks. Here's more info on that.
2. It depends on the character that is hit and how stale the move is. Against Fox with an unstale up-b, Fox can start teching it at 14.4087601687407%. There are 4 frames of hitlag at the very beginning of the up-b, so don't input your tech during those frames.
3. So after Fox ends the fiery part of his up-b, there's a brief falling period where he's still technically in his up-b. He falls about the height of Battlefield's side platform height for 20 frames. He can grab the ledge during this time (he can even grab it backwards). If he lands during this ending part of his up-b, he goes in to special landing lag which takes 6 frames. However, if he's in the air so long such that he exits the entire up-b animation (and enters FallSpecial), he will have 3 frames of landing lag when he lands. Marth cannot land during his up-b animation. Marth has to enter FallSpecial before he is able to land. Fox is special and has an extra bit of falling animation at the end of his up-b that he can land during.

Last edited:

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
1. You can tech during hitlag. That's what happens when you do stuff like this. If you input the tech during hitlag however, the tech buffer will be 1 frame instead of 20, which sucks. Here's more info on that.
2. It depends on the character that is hit and how stale the move is. Against Fox with an unstale up-b, Fox can start teching it at 14.4087601687407%. There are 4 frames of hitlag at the very beginning of the up-b, so don't input your tech during those frames.
3. So after Fox ends the fiery part of his up-b, there's a brief falling period where he's still technically in his up-b. He falls about the height of Battlefield's side platform height for 20 frames. He can grab the ledge during this time (he can even grab it backwards). If he lands during this ending part of his up-b, he goes in to special landing lag which takes 6 frames. However, if he's in the air so long such that he exits the entire up-b animation (and enters FallSpecial), he will have 3 frames of landing lag when he lands. Marth cannot land during his up-b animation. Marth has to enter FallSpecial before he is able to land. Fox is special and has an extra bit of falling animation at the end of his up-b that he can land during.
I don't think Kadano's video covered anything about the 1 frame buffer. But that 1 frame is actually a really big deal. So if I hit R even before I get hit, if I touch a wall within 20 frames, the tech will go through. But after I get hit and during hitlag, if I input R, it will only tech if I touch the wall the very next frame, and if not, I can no longer tech for another 40 frames? Assuming this is true, against Falcon's up b, I can tech before he releases me (because I'm not yet in hitlag), and when I hit the wall if it's within 20 frames, the tech will go through?

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Can anyone help me understand why this dsmash didn't send Westballz into tumble? I know for sure that he was hit by one strong hit and two weak hits of dsmash, but by my calculations, the last hit should do 80.62kb. The first hit does 14 damage, the second does 12*.91=10.92. At 24.92% damage, a third hit of 10.92 damage, 35BK, and 80KBG should knock him down. What's up? Did he wiggle out of tumble? Did I somehow misunderstand the situation?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Can anyone help me understand why this dsmash didn't send Westballz into tumble? I know for sure that he was hit by one strong hit and two weak hits of dsmash, but by my calculations, the last hit should do 80.62kb. The first hit does 14 damage, the second does 12*.91=10.92. At 24.92% damage, a third hit of 10.92 damage, 35BK, and 80KBG should knock him down. What's up? Did he wiggle out of tumble? Did I somehow misunderstand the situation?
Using floored total dmg for this gives 79,8888kb. I tested with a few other cases and it was consistent, maybe kb is calculated using floored dmg?

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
Could anyone give me the frames and stuff on powershielding, please?
I heard you have a 4 frame window to powershield arials and smashes but you only have a 2 frame window for projectiles.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
for peach, is it faster to jump > double jump > waveland (with a specific timing between the two jumps), or fullhop > waveland to get up onto the side plats of DL?

i asked a similar question a few months ago about the optimal timing between jump / double jump to cover the most vertical height the fastest with her. this one is a bit more niche.

semi-related: is there any list of characters can get on a side plat faster by double jumping vs those who single jump? I know ganons double jump to get on side plats a tiny bit faster but i havent seen any proof that this is indeed faster, nor am i sure if any DJ characters can also benefit from this

Sycorax

Smash Ace
for peach, is it faster to jump > double jump > waveland (with a specific timing between the two jumps), or fullhop > waveland to get up onto the side plats of DL?
Fullhop is faster by a long shot. You don't net any positive vertical movement from double jump until frame 13, and it takes 21 frames to get above the side platform with a fullhop.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm not sure of the actual mechanic behind it, but it's definitely something that seems to happen with relative consistency every time the tree transformation rises.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The only thing similar to this I've ever seen is Shiek teleporting to the other side of a stage if Mario capes her get up attack, but I'm not sure if the two are related and what causes them.

EDIT: Get up attack from ledge. Forgot to specify that lol.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
The only thing similar to this I've ever seen is Shiek teleporting to the other side of a stage if Mario capes her get up attack, but I'm not sure if the two are related and what causes them.

EDIT: Get up attack from ledge. Forgot to specify that lol.
that's a known glitch and can be done with any character

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
that's a known glitch and can be done with any character
I know that's a known glitch (otherwise I wouldn't be using it to make a comparison/relation), but I didn't know it could be done with any character.

Army805

Smash Cadet
@dude it's raining

Platform drops

”N→” = control stick to the right, “C↘” = C-stick to the south east notch (down and right)
“⇒” = next frame / afterwards
Wait = idle waiting animation, Guard = shield, Landing = impact landing animation, LandingAir = AttackAir landing lag
Frames are counted starting with the first actionable one at which inputs are entered and including Pass 0 (the first frame after which you are airborne and actionable again)

|Standard drop|Shield drop (easy)|Shield drop (perfect)|Isai drop| Shai drop 1=4 | Shai drop 2 | Shai drop 3
Inputs:|N↓¹|L/R/Z+N↓²|L/R/Z+N↓³|N→(walk)⇒N↓|N↓⇒L/R/Z+N↓|N↘⇒L/R/Z+N↘|N→⇒L/R/Z+N↘
From Wait :|4 frames|5 frames| 2 frames |5 frames|5 frames|5 frames|6 frames
From Guard :|19 frames|5 frames| 1 frame |20 frames|20 frames|20 frames|21 frames
From Landing :|29 frames| 2 frames | 2 frames |5 frames| 2 frames | 2 frames | 2 frames
From LandingAir :|4 frames| 2 frames | 2 frames |5 frames| 2 frames | 2 frames | 2 frames

Lag from grounded attacks should always have the same lag amounts as LandingAir.

Z-Powershield

@ T tauKhan Amazing find! I can confirm the A+Z+R huge powershielding. Both for physical attacks and projectiles. For a Peach standing in Wait and trying to poweshield Falco’s standing laser, I got a frame window of 3 for the normal powershield and 4 for the “superpowershield”. That was at a random position, I think it might provide considerably more benefit in other situations. Especially for Marth, he might be able to overcome his shield bubble misalignment bug by using this.

I believe this works because Z is the first input the game checks for when determining shield bubble size. For example, when you hold Z and lightshield, pressing L/R to different levels (even digital) does not alter shield bubble size. Because of this, I believe that holding down A to avoid grabbing is necessary to get the large powershield without grabbing. I also tried to use digital R and slight L/R analog levels with Dolphin TAS input (doing so is impossible with vanilla GCCs due to the L/R potentiometers being connected to the triggers), but this did not cause large powershields.

Also, I was / am busy watching Apex and had a couple of friends come over to watch the stream and play some Melee; why are you expecting so much from me at times like these … of course I was gonna reply to stuff like this.

@ schmooblidon schmooblidon you don’t use Dolphin? How do you pipe the frames from Gamecube / Wii to the gfycats you post? Do you capture your session and screencap the individual frames? (Slightly offtopic but I think this is interesting for many people who read this thread.)

I don’t have anything on the Sheik megashield yet. I will fiddle with it when I have more time, it takes probably very long to replicate. Just one wild guess: It seems obvious that the rising platform was the cause, but the Jigglypuff being in shield might have something to do with it as well. Maybe the collision detection for Samus’ fair somehow added Jigglypuff’s shield health to Sheik’s?

[hr][/hr]

¹The crouch area in this control stick input-output diagram triggers a standard platform drop:

²After angling the shield downwards for 4 frames, the shield drop area on frames 5-6 will include the entire former blue “spot dodge” zone as well as the red “shield drop” zone in the lower diagram. Upper is for frames 5-6 of angling, lower is for 1-4.

³Perfect shield drops use the tiny red zone you can see in the diagram above (labeled “shield drop”).
Can you explain why shai dropping is faster in landing and attack air animations than in just wait? Does it have to do with being able to "buffer" the down input while in the 4 frames of impact landing lag/aerial landing lag? I'm a bit confused.

Kadano

Magical Express
Can you explain why shai dropping is faster in landing and attack air animations than in just wait? Does it have to do with being able to "buffer" the down input while in the 4 frames of impact landing lag/aerial landing lag? I'm a bit confused.
Yes, just that. You can buffer the input while in previous move lag.

That being said, the Sung / Axe method shield drop can be done the same. There is some overlap in their definitions, so in many situations a certain input is both a Shai drop and a Sung / Axe shield drop.

Army805

Smash Cadet
Yes, just that. You can buffer the input while in previous move lag.

That being said, the Sung / Axe method shield drop can be done the same. There is some overlap in their definitions, so in many situations a certain input is both a Shai drop and a Sung / Axe shield drop.
I see. So what exactly is the difference between the regular and perfect shield drop? And why is it only 2 frames from standing? Is it because it by passes crouching or something?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I see. So what exactly is the difference between the regular and perfect shield drop? And why is it only 2 frames from standing? Is it because it by passes crouching or something?
Perfect shield drop in that post refers to shield dropping using contol stick position that is above spot dodge area but still drops. It's explained in the footnote in the post you quoted. It's two frames: 0 (Wait) -> 1 Shield -> 2 drop -> 3 Actionable and airborne.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
how can i find data for projectiles in master hand? i want to find the properties for pichu's thunder jolt and thunder.
I'm not sure it's possible to find data for that in MasterHand because special moves are coded in a separate place from the rest of a character's moves. There's a link in Kadano's thread to a spreadsheet of all hitboxes. You can find data for those hitboxes in there.
Thunder jolt and thunder for Pichu are in the Pichu frame data thread, and you can get Master Hand frame data from The Official Master Hand Guide.
I think he's looking for hitbox data, not just frames. Also, MasterHand is a program that allows you to read character files to extract useful data like hitbox information.
I remember reading someplace that you can not grab limbs during aerials or something. I think I may be looking at a case where this occurs and I was wondering if anybody has more details on how grabs are limited in this way.
Certain body parts cannot be grabbed at all, mostly the forearms and feet/lowerlegs. If you download Kadano's spreadsheet linked in his thread, you'll find it has a sheet labeled Hurtboxes. For each hurtbox, there is a property called "grippy" which I assume dictates whether or not that hurtbox can be grabbed.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
You can't grab arms? Why do I so frequently see Fox/Falco getting grabbed from really far away because they jabbed?
Assuming that this grippy property is indeed whether the hurtbox can be grabbed, for Fox and Falco, their lower limbs cannot be grabbed but their upper limbs can. My best explanation is that when they jab or ftilt or whatever, they move their body pretty far forward and well as extend their limbs which includes their upper limbs.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Assuming that this grippy property is indeed whether the hurtbox can be grabbed, for Fox and Falco, their lower limbs cannot be grabbed but their upper limbs can. My best explanation is that when they jab or ftilt or whatever, they move their body pretty far forward and well as extend their limbs which includes their upper limbs.
I definitely think it applies to lower limbs because I've basically seen spacies dodge grabs just by short hopping. I've also seen Yoshi's grab go straight through Falco during utilt so I wonder if that's why. Hopefully someone looks into the trait to figure out the details.

This actually reminds me of another trait that is basically never discussed. Someone was explaining to me that moves are either synchronous or asynchronous. This changes how the hitbox is affected during hitlag. Depending on the sync, the hitbox either gets extended by hitting something or it doesn't. I don't really understand how accurate that summation is, but again, if someone wants to investigate it might yield some interesting finds. I know of Fox's and Falco's bairs, one is synchronous and one isn't so I'm really curious how they're different.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I definitely think it applies to lower limbs because I've basically seen spacies dodge grabs just by short hopping. I've also seen Yoshi's grab go straight through Falco during utilt so I wonder if that's why. Hopefully someone looks into the trait to figure out the details.
I made an album of pictures showing that Falco's lower limbs can't be grabbed. http://imgur.com/a/r1wbV

This actually reminds me of another trait that is basically never discussed. Someone was explaining to me that moves are either synchronous or asynchronous. This changes how the hitbox is affected during hitlag. Depending on the sync, the hitbox either gets extended by hitting something or it doesn't. I don't really understand how accurate that summation is, but again, if someone wants to investigate it might yield some interesting finds. I know of Fox's and Falco's bairs, one is synchronous and one isn't so I'm really curious how they're different.
In all my experience testing, I've never come across anything like you've described. When you say "extended" do you mean extended in time or in space? In other words, are you saying the hitbox lasts longer or that the hitbox becomes larger? The fact that the phenomenon is described with words like "synchronous" and "asynchronous" is pretty confusing to me. It's not clear what is meant by them.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I made an album of pictures showing that Falco's lower limbs can't be grabbed. http://imgur.com/a/r1wbV

In all my experience testing, I've never come across anything like you've described. When you say "extended" do you mean extended in time or in space? In other words, are you saying the hitbox lasts longer or that the hitbox becomes larger? The fact that the phenomenon is described with words like "synchronous" and "asynchronous" is pretty confusing to me. It's not clear what is meant by them.
I think he meant spatially, like how if you rest Nana and Popo runs into Nana trying to help, she becomes a hitbox and hits him. But to clarify, the person telling me wasn't sure either.

can phantom grabs occur?
No.

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I think he meant spatially, like how if you rest Nana and Popo runs into Nana trying to help, she becomes a hitbox and hits him. But to clarify, the person telling me wasn't sure either.
In situations like this, it's a temporal thing. Normally, the hitbox on Puff's rest is only active for 1 frame, but the hitlag causes it to linger during the entirety of hitlag. In the linked video, you can see one Fox gets hit and then then other Fox usmashes moving his hurtbox into the rest hitbox. Rarely does a character's body become a hitbox. In certain situations, the knockback a character receives can cause it to obtain a hitbox as it moves through the air, but this doesn't happen until after the character starts moving and is rarely particularly strong except in the most obscure circumstances (See Roy's counter against G&W's bucket which is filled with 3 PK flashes :p). This phenomenon is often called dead weight.

I would be very surprised if the phenomenon you're describing is not just the effect of hitlag causing hitboxes to linger longer or linger in places you don't expect. This happens a lot with Flyguys on Yoshi's Story. Ganon, Falcon, Fox, or whoever will use a move hitting the Flyguys causing the hitbox to stay out longer. The opponent moves into the hitbox during what would normally be a safe window. They then get mad at Melee jank and throw their controller. Friends are lost. No body is happy :(

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
What happens when you get hit by an attack with an angle higher than 180 when grounded? What determines whether you stay on the ground or bounce up? Also when hit by weak attacks when grounded, what determines whether you leave the ground?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
What happens when you get hit by an attack with an angle higher than 180 when grounded? What determines whether you stay on the ground or bounce up? Also when hit by weak attacks when grounded, what determines whether you leave the ground?
You bounce up only if the move knocks down. Launch angle determines solely whether you stay grounded; you get launched in the air if the 0° < launch angle < 180° . Just occured to me that I don't know what happens if you di the move to spike. My instinct tells me that one gets launched on the hit frame, not on the first frame after hitlag

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
You bounce up only if the move knocks down.
So after 80kb you bounce and kb*0.8, but how does the y-kb-velocity get converted? Does it calculate a new angle? or just absolute the y-velocity?

Launch angle determines solely whether you stay grounded; you get launched in the air if the 0° < launch angle < 180° .
Ohhh, I was testing out a sakurai angle move and forgot that it was sakurai angle, so I was confused.

Just occured to me that I don't know what happens if you di the move to spike. My instinct tells me that one gets launched on the hit frame, not on the first frame after hitlag
Could you expand on this? I'm not sure what your saying. Do you mean if any move is DI'ed so the new trajectory is within the spike threshold? Why would that change it?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Could you expand on this? I'm not sure what your saying. Do you mean if any move is DI'ed so the new trajectory is within the spike threshold? Why would that change it?
I think that only the pre-TDI angle matters. When you get hit by knee, your ECB shifts to the new aerial shape near the end of hitlag, so surely you must be in the air from the beginning of the hitlag, and thus trajectory di cannot change whether you get launched or not.

So after 80kb you bounce and kb*0.8, but how does the y-kb-velocity get converted? Does it calculate a new angle? or just absolute the y-velocity?
But... aren't those the same thing?

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
But... aren't those the same thing?
yeh thats true.

I'm looking at shine specifically cos of it's angle. So when kb is < 80, tdi, and vertical sdi/asdi none of that matters. And then when kb is >= 80 they get knocked down, and cannot tech unless they DI it. What's up with that?

Last edited:
Top Bottom