• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nutrition Classes, the Cure for Obesity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Call the class whatever you want. Call it "human lifestyles" class if it makes you happy. In the end the important issue is the material, not the class. What I am trying to say is the federal government places requirements for schools to teach certain things in their curriculum, so they can provide the standard for every State's nutrition class. Yeah you are right, for the most part many people already know fast food is bad. But many people don't know the salads in McDonalds are unhealthy, as well as other foods intended to be healthy.
Making "Nutrition/Health" classes mandatory will do very little if the students themselves are unwilling to learn about the topic at hand. On the other hand, it will force those who already know about the subject to take another "useless" required class.

As a whole, the American public is composed of a lot of lazy, apathetic idiots who will do very little to find out information for themselves. Instead of taking the initiative to do some minimal research and thus finding out the fast food is indeed terrible for the average person's health, the public insists that the information be spoon-fed to them.

The same logic holds true for a majority of obese children/adults. You're overweight? Go exercise, and stop eating foods full of saturated fat and high fructose corn syrup. While obesity is certainly a valid medical condition for some, for others it's brought about by a combination of various problems that don't include the physical inability to control one's food intake.

Keep it an elective, so it's available for those who want to learn about the subject. It's their problem if they don't care don't care about their own physical health.

But to respond to you later post. Yes, we do not choose to eat, but WE CAN CHOOSE WHAT WE WANT TO EAT. Like we can choose a habit, you can be dumb and SMOKE, or chew gum.
So the food addiciton is something you can get yourself into.
No, some people can't control how they can or cannot eat. Comparing a food addiction to a smoking addiction doesn't make much sense: food is a necessity for survival, while smoking tobacco is a luxury and nothing more.

And to me not knowing any better is kinda lame, I mean an un-educated person might not understand why Fast food is bad, but with all the media puting stigmas about fast being bad, you'd have to live under a rock to not know Fast food is bad in abundence.
Not everyone thinks like you do, nor do all people pay attention to what the media has to say. There are a significant amount of people that really do not know just how bad fast food is for one's health.

And the signifigant purpose for why we dont need a seperate nutrition class is: WE CAN EXPAND THE CLASS WE ALREADY HAVE!!, why have health and nutrition? when you can just expan health.
Health can be considered to be a GE first year class, and thus become a prequisite for the more advanced Nutrition class. Additionally, there might too much information to simply stuff all of it in a year-long class.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Keep it an elective, so it's available for those who want to learn about the subject. It's their problem if they don't care don't care about their own physical health.

I completely agree with this stament, But I only think 20% of the people who would "need" this class would sign up, if that.

No, some people can't control how they can or cannot eat. Comparing a food addiction to a smoking addiction doesn't make much sense: food is a necessity for survival, while smoking tobacco is a luxury and nothing more.

But you can also call eating out a luxury too. And fast food although cheep, is eating out. So yea, I will compare it to an addiction scince it is a luxury, but I doubt this part of the argument will develope further than that.

Not everyone thinks like you do, nor do all people pay attention to what the media has to say. There are a significant amount of people that really do not know just how bad fast food is for one's health.

Meh, your right.

Health can be considered to be a GE first year class, and thus become a prequisite for the more advanced Nutrition class. Additionally, there might too much information to simply stuff all of it in a year-long class.

Yeah, but a two year high school class? IN NY only IB classes are two years, in wich if the class is IB only students who would want to go into that specific field would take it. So basicly none of the people Vorgun mentions.

Miharu

Smash Hero
But you can also call eating out a luxury too. And fast food although cheep, is eating out. So yea, I will compare it to an addiction scince it is a luxury, but I doubt this part of the argument will develope further than that.
You're being inconsistent with your definition of "eating out" here. In the first instance, you essentially describe eating out as "going to a nice restaurant for dinner," which, of course, is a luxury. However, in the second instance, you use "eating out" simply to describe all of the instances where one does not eat at home (hence, eating out).

So in that sense, for the poorer parts of America that consume fast food for the majority of their meals, fast food is most definitely not a luxury.

Yeah, but a two year high school class? IN NY only IB classes are two years, in wich if the class is IB only students who would want to go into that specific field would take it. So basicly none of the people Vorgun mentions.
I'll give you that. It might be more feasible to split the two sections into just semesters, but that essentially would leave us with just a 1 year class of Nutrition/Health. Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Wrath`

Smash Master
You're being inconsistent with your definition of "eating out" here. In the first instance, you essentially describe eating out as "going to a nice restaurant for dinner," which, of course, is a luxury. However, in the second instance, you use "eating out" simply to describe all of the instances where one does not eat at home (hence, eating out).

So in that sense, for the poorer parts of America that consume fast food for the majority of their meals, fast food is most definitely not a luxury.

It is a luxury, because you do not have buy ingredeints, prepare food and cook. They do it for you. So people do chose to go there instead of the grocery store.

It is a luxury, because you do not have buy ingredeints, prepare food and cook. They do it for you, so people do choose to go there instead of the grocery store.

Miharu

Smash Hero
It is a luxury, because you do not have buy ingredeints, prepare food and cook. They do it for you, so people do choose to go there instead of the grocery store.
Many of the working class do not have the time to cook for themselves; hence they go to somewhere like Jack in the Box and a few items off the value menu and call that dinner.

Having a home, and the kitchen that comes along with it, isn't a given for some. The homeless don't have the opportunity to cook their own meals, so they go to the cheapest place to get something that's warm and somewhat filling. Just because you have the luxury to be able to choose when you want to eat out and when you don't, doesn't mean the same holds true for everyone else.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Many of the working class do not have the time to cook for themselves; hence they go to somewhere like Jack in the Box and a few items off the value menu and call that dinner.

Having a home, and the kitchen that comes along with it, isn't a given for some. The homeless don't have the opportunity to cook their own meals, so they go to the cheapest place to get something that's warm and somewhat filling. Just because you have the luxury to be able to choose when you want to eat out and when you don't, doesn't mean the same holds true for everyone else.
I have yet to see an obese homless person.

I will agree that there are some people that is all they can afford, but will nutrition classes teach them how not to be poor? If they are forced into the situation by society, it clearly is not thier fault, and a nutrition class won't help if can not obtain nutritious food.

And if work forces you to get fast food, again a nutrtiton class can't teach you how to make time.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I have yet to see an obese homless person.

The fact that you yourself haven't witnessed an obese homeless person doesn't mean that they don't exist.

I will agree that there are some people that is all they can afford, but will nutrition classes teach them how not to be poor? If they are forced into the situation by society, it clearly is not thier fault, and a nutrition class won't help if can not obtain nutritious food.

And if work forces you to get fast food, again a nutrtiton class can't teach you how to make time.
I'm not trying to argue that a health class will help people learn all of the skills that they need to survive in the real world. However, that's irrelevant, a nutrition class is there to teach today's children about nutrition (and hopefully start them on a path that doesn't lead down to obesity); it's really not regarding the already obese adults who don't even attend school anymore.

I was simply describing this situation for your benefit; it wasn't part of the argument directed towards whether a nutrition class should be made mandatory or not.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I'm in agreement with Miharu on this, the cause of this is apathy and lack of initiative. And nutrition classes aren't the solution to this. They are certainly beneficial though - to those who care.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Wow, this has attracted a lot of attention.

The best thing to do would add an additional required elective for all students that don't pass a physical, or are interested in getting healthier. I'd hate to have to attend a health class because everyone else didn't take care of themselves.

Just give the kids the option, and if they choose to not take it, they'll just be a statistic. But don't require them to eat healthy if they want to get out of school.

Miharu

Smash Hero

The best thing to do would add an additional required elective for all students that don't pass a physical, or are interested in getting healthier. I'd hate to have to attend a health class because everyone else didn't take care of themselves.

Just give the kids the option, and if they choose to not take it, they'll just be a statistic. But don't require them to eat healthy if they want to get out of school.
Heh, you actually bring up a really good point, I hadn't thought of that myself.

In this day and age, you'll have parents complaining about how their overweight kids are going to be ostracized and ridiculed because of this class, but it indeed would be a very nice solution for those who can't pass the physical. But on the same, note, I doubt that this would ever be put into effect, simply because parents these days are far too overprotective when it comes to anything concerning their children (don't even need to mention the budget crisis).

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Heh, you actually bring up a really good point, I hadn't thought of that myself.

In this day and age, you'll have parents complaining about how their overweight kids are going to be ostracized and ridiculed because of this class, but it indeed would be a very nice solution for those who can't pass the physical. But on the same, note, I doubt that this would ever be put into effect, simply because parents these days are far too overprotective when it comes to anything concerning their children (don't even need to mention the budget crisis).
You know what's a little upsetting? I used to love playing "Powerball", a game that's exactly like dodgeball, but with softer kickballs. They were almost foam. Well, I figured out my old Middle School banned that game because it made obese children feel bad. I figured someone was hurt. Now, in my opinion, that's among the stupidest thing schools have done so far. If I was that fat, I'd be motivated to lose weight so I could play dodgeball.

You're absolutely right. I can understand why some parents are overprotective, but they're ruining the US, in my humble opinion. They nurture too much, and keep their kids on a tight leash. Nobody goes outside anymore. So you can only assume that everyone's inside, being fed big, 4 coarse meals by their loving mothers.

M.K

Level 55
In my opinion, the concerned citizens and leaders should feel nothing but guilt for starting this problem in the first place.
It started with the removal of Recess (is that a universal term? If not, then a time when kids play outside during the school day). The point of Recess is to involve exercise early in a child's life and to release the anxiety/nerves that a child builds up during class time. The removal solved....what exactly? More time to learn?
I use to play Basketball, Football, Kickball, and Tag during Recess in elementary school. It was the highlight of my day! Being free felt awesome, and if I wasn't running around joyfully, I was sitting in the fresh air studying for a test or reading a comic book (or trading Pokemon cards!)
Middle school Recess was...still good. We had an oddly shaped valley to play in, which contained this huge hill. One day, a kid fell down the hill and broke his leg. The very next day, a kid broke his arm playing soccer. After that, recess was abolished.

The cure for childhood obesity is exposing these kids *not* to the risks of overeating, but to the FUN of exercise! Usually these traits carry on throughout the years. I still, to this day, love Basketball. I am a Springboard Diver, and I may not be in the best of shape, but I think working out is very fun. The kids today are ultra artificial, and that is part of the problem.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
They only allowed Recess in elementary school, and in my county, it was only 15 minutes long.
Schools always have outdoor programs, like Gym. So despite getting rid of recess, you're still required to exercise. I can't say I like how the education system does things, they're beyond stupid when it comes to solving problems. Bringing back recess would be great, and even TV networks like Cartoon Network have an entire 'Get Animated' campaign that wants to bring back recess.

I'm all for exercise, even more so than being inside all day and learning about things that are don't apply in real life. Never in my entire life have I needed to use some of the things I was taught in school, so they could be a little more generous with recess time. Excellent argument, Meta-Kirby.

Wrath`

Smash Master
[/color]
The fact that you yourself haven't witnessed an obese homeless person doesn't mean that they don't exist.

I'm not trying to argue that a health class will help people learn all of the skills that they need to survive in the real world. However, that's irrelevant, a nutrition class is there to teach today's children about nutrition (and hopefully start them on a path that doesn't lead down to obesity); it's really not regarding the already obese adults who don't even attend school anymore.

I was simply describing this situation for your benefit; it wasn't part of the argument directed towards whether a nutrition class should be made mandatory or not.
We do not have to talk about adults, what about a kid sitting in this class, but is trapped by poverty, he can not utilize his knowledge due to factors he can not control. How do you help there?

About recess, it has not been abolished in my county, and it lasts 30+minutes from what I remembered. Good point

Fun activity> class.

Miharu

Smash Hero
We do not have to talk about adults, what about a kid sitting in this class, but is trapped by poverty, he can not utilize his knowledge due to factors he can not control. How do you help there?
He may not be able to utilize that knowledge during his current state, but if the rest of his education goes well (goes to college, gets a decent job, etc), he someday may be able to put that information to use. In turn, his future children would then benefit, and so on.

This "obesity epidemic" really is a combination of a multitude of problems, and one simple health class won't be able to solve. But it doesn't hurt to brainstorm ideas about a course that may potentially help the situation out in the long run.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Informing about nutrition and health care should be a part of biology classes in school (probably a more important one than in the moment) - transforming it into an own subject would be exaggerated in my opinion. The parents are primarily responsible for what their children eat etc.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Personally I think that nutrition classes and information about obesity should start before High School. I'm 13 years old, in 8th grade, and In P.E. we go out play sports but many kids are able to stand around and do nothing if they feel like it, so therefore that argument that P.E. can help prevent obesity isn't necessarily valid.

At my junior high, we do not have a health class, so kids don't learn about all this stuff. So basically, at my school, there is nothing to effectively counter obesity. Health classes should start in elementary school, not High School, because we clearly in the U.S. (where I live) have a problem with this. I don't know much about obesity in other countries, but it is still an important issue everywhere no matter what.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Making "Nutrition/Health" classes mandatory will do very little if the students themselves are unwilling to learn about the topic at hand. On the other hand, it will force those who already know about the subject to take another "useless" required class.

As a whole, the American public is composed of a lot of lazy, apathetic idiots who will do very little to find out information for themselves. Instead of taking the initiative to do some minimal research and thus finding out the fast food is indeed terrible for the average person's health, the public insists that the information be spoon-fed to them.

The same logic holds true for a majority of obese children/adults. You're overweight? Go exercise, and stop eating foods full of saturated fat and high fructose corn syrup. While obesity is certainly a valid medical condition for some, for others it's brought about by a combination of various problems that don't include the physical inability to control one's food intake.

There are overweight people who exercise two times a day every day and try to eat as best as they can yet fail to lose absolutely any weight. Why does this happen to them? Because they have no idea what they are doing and they are falling prey to all the faulty and misleading weight loss advertisement in magazines and television commercials. This is exactly what I am trying to stop, people falling victims to something when they are trying their hardest to fight their condition. You know how demoralizing it is to spend a month trying to lose weight having hunger pangs every day and being so tired from all your exercise only to notice you have gained weight or virtually stayed the same?

I know not everyone would take a nutrition class seriously but how many adults remember Shakespeare from their High School literature class days? There will be many people who benefit from a Nutrition class. Students will grow up and become parents who will be able to pass this knowledge on to their children. Nutrition encompasses a much broader and important topic than gaining weight. Pregnant women and sick patients are especially sensitive to changes in nutrition. I am sure that a woman bearing a baby would like to make sure her baby will be born as healthy as possible.

If you are talking about teaching you things you already know, then why do colleges make you sit through two years of basics, when you learn absolutely all of it through High School? Why did my high school require art electives to graduate? There are many instances of classes that really were not necessary. Nutrition is something people are faced with day to day.

I'll give you that. It might be more feasible to split the two sections into just semesters, but that essentially would leave us with just a 1 year class of Nutrition/Health. Anyone else have any ideas on this?
You are right and wrong. You are right in the sense that many things you buy at grocery stores do require time to cook and prepare but they also offer many options that can be eaten readily without time to prepare. In a way, nobody is completely forced to eat out at fast food restaurants no matter how much money they have. Groceries are usually not as expensive as restaurants anyway.

You are correct for the most part, except when you mention that they have no other choice. Eveyone has choices. However, homeless people are also not the ones suffering from obesity usually either. They should though hopefully understand that eating at Jack in the Box is giving them poorer nutrition than they should be getting if they aren't going to be able to eat much. Of course, whole other different issue.

[/color]

This is a good point and I understand Nutrition classes do leave this gaping hole in the battle against Obesity, but it wouldn't be long until the generations pass and everyone would have this knowledge already. Besides, if there is a growing concern for health and proper nutrition, the food companies that make the unhealthy food might start going out of business, so the uninformed obese adults would be cornered into eating healthier.

I'm in agreement with Miharu on this, the cause of this is apathy and lack of initiative. And nutrition classes aren't the solution to this. They are certainly beneficial though - to those who care.
Exactly, those who care are suffering from all their fruitless efforts.

If you select certain students who don't pass the "healthy" or "weight" requirements and put them in a class you are going to do much harm. There are going to be complaints, lawsuits, and destroyed self-esteems everywhere. This is no different than when the United States rounded up all Japanese Americans during World War II. You can't separate people because of some of their characteristics from the rest of the community, we have learned from history time and again that this is cruel and wrong. I know we aren't particularly trying to harm those kids if we separate them, but in the end we would end up hurting them much more.

Exactly. This class should be mandatory because absolutely everyone benefits from having more knowledge on nutrition, even the most physically fit. Even those that appear extremely outwardly healthy can improve their bodily functions and overall longevity through nutrition. When you reach old age, the long years of taking care of your diet will be worthwhile.

You know what's a little upsetting? I used to love playing "Powerball", a game that's exactly like dodgeball, but with softer kickballs. They were almost foam. Well, I figured out my old Middle School banned that game because it made obese children feel bad. I figured someone was hurt. Now, in my opinion, that's among the stupidest thing schools have done so far. If I was that fat, I'd be motivated to lose weight so I could play dodgeball.

You're absolutely right. I can understand why some parents are overprotective, but they're ruining the US, in my humble opinion. They nurture too much, and keep their kids on a tight leash. Nobody goes outside anymore. So you can only assume that everyone's inside, being fed big, 4 coarse meals by their loving mothers.
Ironically, did you know 4 meals helps one lose weight more than 3 meals? In fact, the more meals your body has, the more weight you can lose and the faster your metabolism. For men the recommended amount of daily meals is 7, and for women 6. Instead of eating three large meals you separate them into 7 meals. What does this do? It keeps your body digesting all day in smaller amounts, so there is no stress on your digestive system and at the same time your body is burning calories trying to digest food. The result is an enormous boost in your metabolism.

People don't know this, and choose to eat less. Eating less gives you a sluggish metabolism and you store absolutely everything. So yeah you have two meals but it all gets stored, unlike the guy eating 7 meals and burning everything.

The misconceptions on nutrition are so vast. If you guys knew how little most people know, you would really be surprised.

In my opinion, the concerned citizens and leaders should feel nothing but guilt for starting this problem in the first place.
It started with the removal of Recess (is that a universal term? If not, then a time when kids play outside during the school day). The point of Recess is to involve exercise early in a child's life and to release the anxiety/nerves that a child builds up during class time. The removal solved....what exactly? More time to learn?
I use to play Basketball, Football, Kickball, and Tag during Recess in elementary school. It was the highlight of my day! Being free felt awesome, and if I wasn't running around joyfully, I was sitting in the fresh air studying for a test or reading a comic book (or trading Pokemon cards!)
Middle school Recess was...still good. We had an oddly shaped valley to play in, which contained this huge hill. One day, a kid fell down the hill and broke his leg. The very next day, a kid broke his arm playing soccer. After that, recess was abolished.

The cure for childhood obesity is exposing these kids *not* to the risks of overeating, but to the FUN of exercise! Usually these traits carry on throughout the years. I still, to this day, love Basketball. I am a Springboard Diver, and I may not be in the best of shape, but I think working out is very fun. The kids today are ultra artificial, and that is part of the problem.
You are right as exercise is a great stimulating activity for children, there are many more problems that need to be solved. First off, childhood obesity isn't the only problem we have, we have obesity on all ages. Secondly, as people grow up and have more responsibilities time for exercise seems to be less and less important. Thirdly, there are plenty of overweight people who push themselves to an extreme exercising and have no results because of their improper follow-up nutrition.

They only allowed Recess in elementary school, and in my county, it was only 15 minutes long.
Schools always have outdoor programs, like Gym. So despite getting rid of recess, you're still required to exercise. I can't say I like how the education system does things, they're beyond stupid when it comes to solving problems. Bringing back recess would be great, and even TV networks like Cartoon Network have an entire 'Get Animated' campaign that wants to bring back recess.

I'm all for exercise, even more so than being inside all day and learning about things that are don't apply in real life. Never in my entire life have I needed to use some of the things I was taught in school, so they could be a little more generous with recess time. Excellent argument, Meta-Kirby.
Recess is definitely a plus. Schools that removed recess were not making the smartest choices. Recess should be supervised a little more, that's all.

About recess, it has not been abolished in my county, and it lasts 30+minutes from what I remembered. Good point

Fun activity> class.

You make a good point. A kid has little control over his poverty because of his experience, age, and resources. However, what are you trying to say, that a poor kid has no choice but to be obese? He can influence his parents to buy more quality food with what is available to them, or choose to pick up orange juice instead of a donut in the cafeteria line.

He may not be able to utilize that knowledge during his current state, but if the rest of his education goes well (goes to college, gets a decent job, etc), he someday may be able to put that information to use. In turn, his future children would then benefit, and so on.

This "obesity epidemic" really is a combination of a multitude of problems, and one simple health class won't be able to solve. But it doesn't hurt to brainstorm ideas about a course that may potentially help the situation out in the long run.
Right, the kid would reach a point in his life where he would have the experience, age, and resources to utilize his knowledge. However, as Nutrition classes aren't the absolute answer and cure to obesity, it is a start. Knowledge is the initial key and catalyst that is needed, amongst other things. I understand that it won't make miracles but I just find that if schools are teaching me how to paint and draw better, why can't they teach me to eat better, which is something I need to survive and do it on a daily basis?

Informing about nutrition and health care should be a part of biology classes in school (probably a more important one than in the moment) - transforming it into an own subject would be exaggerated in my opinion. The parents are primarily responsible for what their children eat etc.
Correct, and these children who receive nutritional information would eventually become the parents making the decisions for their own children.

Personally I think that nutrition classes and information about obesity should start before High School. I'm 13 years old, in 8th grade, and In P.E. we go out play sports but many kids are able to stand around and do nothing if they feel like it, so therefore that argument that P.E. can help prevent obesity isn't necessarily valid.

At my junior high, we do not have a health class, so kids don't learn about all this stuff. So basically, at my school, there is nothing to effectively counter obesity. Health classes should start in elementary school, not High School, because we clearly in the U.S. (where I live) have a problem with this. I don't know much about obesity in other countries, but it is still an important issue everywhere no matter what.
You are right, but Nutrition is a much more complicated subject than you can imagine. Even though I am in no way qualified to decide when would be the most appropriate time to teach students about Nutrition, but there should definitely be some elementary and junior high programs. They can be simple for the little ones like "donuts are bad, juice is good. Candy is bad, vegetables are good."

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Wow, you make good points. Nutrition classes are no doubt beneficial. But they aren't the cure. Because, if I really cared about my health, I can use my good friend Google to find much of this information.

News articles like this say that there are some misconceptions. Then, using Google, I can find out what some of these misconceptions are. Or maybe, places like this can recommend how many meals per day to eat. Articles like this describe some of the effects of fast food and how bad it is for you. If you looked hard enough, you could also find articles regarding High Fructose Corn Syrup. Or perhaps articles on cholesterol. Or maybe even articles regarding saturated fats.

The information is there, people just need to use the wonderful tool called Google.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I can get on Google right now and create a website. It would take me under an hour. I can pretend I am extremely qualified and spew out a bunch of lies.

Many of the misconceptions come also from people's lack of finding good information. Most information is so washed down and almost everything you read out there is a bunch of Nutrition hype created by companies trying to make a quick buck.

Face it, what sells more

A) "Lose 15 pounds a week for 3 weeks! Reach your desired weight in one month only while still being able to eat most of what you love while only following our special food arrangement tips for maximum weight loss!"

or

B) "Lose 1-2 pounds a week with grueling nutritional changes, balanced meals that you aren't used to, moderate to serious exercise, and absolutely no cheating any meals."

The sad part is, it takes "B" for obese people to lose weight. So even if they do go off and find information, they are barraged by a bunch of fad diets that do nothing but eat up your lean muscle tissue, lower your water weight, slow down your metabolism, and prep you up for extreme rebound weight. People actually think they work, because face it, the numbers in the scale are going down. But that water weight means nothing and that lean muscle mass that you are losing is extremely necessary for weight loss and a healthy body and your fat is staying the same so all you are doing is losing healthy weight while destroying your metabolism.

I challenge you then, get on Google and copy the first thing you find on Nutrition here and I'll let you know exactly what is wrong with the information you found. I won't know if you actually looked far and wide, but at least you will know if you do that how hard it was to find anything decent on the web about this.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Well yeah, go to a company website and they're not going to give you the whole story. But other informational websites do (For example, Wikipedia is a decent source) you can also find studies on this sorts of information.

Yes, it's a sad fact that companies market things like this, but people should be responsible for researching what diets they're getting into. They should do more research beyond what the company tells them, that should be a given.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002468.htm Find the flaws in the article

Vorguen

Smash Champion
That article is quite good. My only complaint from that source of course is the vagueness of most of what it teaches, and the lack of information. I suppose it is intended as no nutrition course, but most of the things wrong with it are just little technicalities that don't matter anyway, like recommending 1% milk when they don't explain the benefits of whole milk, etc. (not saying whole milk is better, but there are certain scenarios when you would benefit more from it).

Anyway good find. If everyone finds web sites like these when interested in nutritional advice then America will be one step forward in fixing it's problems.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's obviously not an entire class, but it's part of what sort of information is readily available upon searching. My point being is that people who care about nutrition will benefit from the class, while those who don't care won't benefit. The people that care can also find this sort of information readily available, while the people who don't will not.

Wrath`

Smash Master
You make a good point. A kid has little control over his poverty because of his experience, age, and resources. However, what are you trying to say, that a poor kid has no choice but to be obese? He can influence his parents to buy more quality food with what is available to them, or choose to pick up orange juice instead of a donut in the cafeteria line
If an adolescent is overweight he or she has 70% chance of being an obese adult. Also, if your parent is obese you have an 80% chance of being obese as an adult. (source: library.thinkquest.org
Your quote contradicts yourself, if the kid is overwieght/obese, according to this statistic the only have a 20% chance of turning it around, so my argument of living enviorment/ecinomic situation is still viable, even if they get to the pont of adault-hood, and have the knowledge there is a low chance they will become healthy. So how would you help these people?

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
No, nutrition classes are not the solution to obesity. The only solution to that is removing trans fats, fructose sugar, and processed bits out of the food supply.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
No, nutrition classes are not the solution to obesity. The only solution to that is removing trans fats, fructose sugar, and processed bits out of the food supply.
Yeah, removing all those ingredients from the market would cause drastic changes. However you forget that it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Why? Look at High Fructose Corn syrup. The cheapest ingredient on the market (minus water and salt). It is highly addicting, cheap, and people keep buying products with it and consuming them. It is the perfect sales tool for food companies.

For now, that is not going to happen, so it is best people know about how to avoid these foods.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Yeah, removing all those ingredients from the market would cause drastic changes. However you forget that it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Why? Look at High Fructose Corn syrup. The cheapest ingredient on the market (minus water and salt). It is highly addicting, cheap, and people keep buying products with it and consuming them. It is the perfect sales tool for food companies.

For now, that is not going to happen, so it is best people know about how to avoid these foods.
High fructose corn syrup is not addicting.......... It's like you said, cheaper than cane sugar for sweeting things.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
High fructose coryn syrup is not addicting?

The controversy over high fructose corn syrup stems not only from its use as a sweetener, but because of its powerful addiction. To give you an idea of how powerful the addiction can be, all cigarettes made in the U.S. since World War I have contained sugars, usually from corn.[ii] Do you think cigarette companies chose corn syrup for the great taste it adds to their products?
source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...ctose_corn_syrup_you_know_what_pg2.html?cat=5

And just in case you didn't think High Fructose Corn Syrup was that bad at this point, look at the recent findings of Mercury in HFCS:

Study Finds High-Fructose

Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

Monday, January 26, 2009; 12:00 AM

MONDAY, Jan. 26 (HealthDay News) — Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.

HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. On average, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80 percent more HFCS than average.

“Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply,” said the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy’s Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies….
source: http://discoverandrecover.wordpress.com/2009/01/27/mercury-found-in-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

The American Medical Association doesn’t have the guts to make a position statement on the subject. The FDA, little more than a gatekeeper of profits in the food and drug world, won’t act because it would cost a lot of junk food makers a lot of money.

When high fructose corn syrup is combined with a branded flavor (a cocktail of neurostimulants that the FDA also allows), then addiction to the brand flavor is created which causes further over consumption of high fructose corn syrup. Unfortunately, such addictions are as difficult to break or more difficult to break than addictions to alcohol and many drugs.
source: http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight/articles/how_high_fructose_corn_syrup_causes_obesity/

High Fructose Corn Syrup is a huge problem, and often overlooked. If companies used High Fructose Corn Syrup because there was a faithful following to it's taste, then that is fine by me. But people don't actively seek out High Fructose Corn Syrup, they become addicted to it because it is virtually everywhere. Companies use it and abuse it in the wrong way. If you don't believe me, look at all the "all-natural" foods in your grocery store that claim to be healthy yet include High Fructose Corn Syrup. That's bordering fraud in my book.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Even fast-food chains are starting to have healthier choices, even if they aren't very good. So what do you suggest then Marik, if informing people won't work?
They need to claim responsibility for themselves. Fast-food chains aren't forcing them to eat, they are convincing, therefore it's that specific individual(s) fault.

You'd think by now, people would understand and acknowledge the consequences of their actions, there's been enough publicity about how unhealthy fast-food is.

The problem is that people don't want to change. They lack the moral willpower to change, and instead sue McDonalds for their obesity.

And even so, if we "did" have Nutritional Classes, that wouldn't necessarily convince a person to stop eating the cheap, delicious fast-foods that they can find down their street. They have to change themselves, there's nothing anybody else can do, and to even try is futile.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Exactly, but are you ignoring the fact that many people desperately do try and simply lack the information? What about the lies and fraudulent claims that food companies make and get away with?

claims of "All Natural", "Healthy Choice", "0g Trans Fat (and in tiny letters per serving)" etc?

You know most companies label in their food products 0g of Trans Fat while actually having a significant amount of Trans Fat in their foods?

Look at Peanut butter:

Do you notice that their label mentions absolutely nothing about Trans Fat?

Now look at their ingredients list:

Noticed the part that says "Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil". Guess what that is, Trans Fat. You were just lied to again. I won't even go to the number of other things wrong with this peanut butter. I also notice this is the case with most common peanut butters I have seen in grocery stores, I only chose this one because I think everyone should recognize it.

When asked about Trans Fat, this is the statement that Skippy corporation makes about their product:

Does Skippy® peanut butter contain trans fats?
By U.S. FDA definition, Skippy® peanut butter is a trans-fat free food.
Source: http://www.peanutbutter.com/faq.aspx

Notice the use of "by U.S. FDA definition". This is because the FDA allows companies to lower their serving size to an amount small enough to eliminate the need to label trans fat.

To elaborate, say that a container has 5g of Trans Fat and that by law they only have to label anything that is above 0.5g. So the company divides their product into a nutritional label of 20 servings per container. Now each serving of trans fat has gone down to 0.25g. They no longer have to label it, and so they don't. They just got away with lying.

The FDA allows companies to label it as 0 if it is less than 0.5g per serving as stated above, in my example. If this doesn't spark some concern in you, then probably nothing I have to say will.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Good point...

Companies have always lied to their consumers, if they can pass off their activities through a legal loophole.

Maybe they shouldn't intake fast-food/industrialized food in the first place? Instead they should stick to fruits, vegetables, water, and the like.

If they want to change, I'm sure they can see a specialist.

Common sense is once again, their best bet.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Sticking to fruits, vegetables, and waters deprives of much needed fats and proteins that many people need. It's very hard to be a vegetarian and stay healthy (it is possible, if you mix the proper high protein starchy vegetables and the like to get all the amino acids you need from the combination of the two, but it requires a lot of knowledge)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Sticking to fruits, vegetables, and waters deprives of much needed fats and proteins that many people need. It's very hard to be a vegetarian and stay healthy (it is possible, if you mix the proper high protein starchy vegetables and the like to get all the amino acids you need from the combination of the two, but it requires a lot of knowledge)
Too true. You have to have meat some time, it's an important part of every person's diet. Having ribs, steak, and pork is great, but like sweets, it's best in moderation. They should at least teach students to eat a variety of food, and not a lot of fattening food, like KFC chicken. Even though it's really good.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
Not every company lies though you cant just make a huge generalization. A place called Max's and another place called heart attack grill both say on their front window this foood is unhealthy for you.

But yes Vorguen it is getting quite out of hand. Guidlines should be more strict and set a standard for serving size for each type of food.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
THese "seals of approval" need to be more strict. Otherwise they're getting unfounded approval.

And good stuff Vorguen, that's basically deceitful, horridly so. Never trust the FDA seal of approval.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Not every company lies though you cant just make a huge generalization. A place called Max's and another place called heart attack grill both say on their front window this foood is unhealthy for you.

But yes Vorguen it is getting quite out of hand. Guidlines should be more strict and set a standard for serving size for each type of food.
THese "seals of approval" need to be more strict. Otherwise they're getting unfounded approval.

And good stuff Vorguen, that's basically deceitful, horridly so. Never trust the FDA seal of approval.
Yeah it is so ridiculous. Also I never said all companies lie, like I said, many companies are starting to shift to organic foods because everyone knows the USDA stamp of approval is a meaningful one.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Okay, so back on topic, having nutritional classes is going to solve this misinformation? What's wrong with putting up ads on TV, or putting up posters around your neighbor hood? Or submitting a topic about an article regarding this sort of deceit? To me, there are multiple solutions to the problem of obesity.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Right, and it is hard to believe things now a days in general. If you walk around the streets and see a poster that says "food companies are lying to you, their food is bad for you!" you will probably laugh, shrug it off, or ignore it. Even if you do happen to give it notice, you are just one person, and posters will only go so far. Submitting an article? That will only get limited readers in a limited audience from that one magazine. Television ads? Those are very expensive and most people don't listen to or watch commercials they usually browse channels through them. If you have nutrition classes in school, absolutely everyone will be exposed to this and every other aspect of nutrition that needs attention.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
now this would be a great experience but i think it would only work at a young age and you would have to bug the kid all the time about it because by the time they are in 5th grade, chances are they wont care what they eat really all they care about "does it taste good?"
also you would need to educate the parents too because thats where the majority of the food they eat comes from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom