• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Western Sydney Dramacraft: The home of drama!

tedeth

Smash Master
Honestly the best thing about going out of state for smash is the people that are involved in it. I think everyone that went to BAM can agree that the time there was made fun almost entirely by the people they spent time with. Sure the smash can be hype, but your real memories will come from interaction with friends.

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
@Luco the best way to get better is to go to meets imho. I don't know how much one can actually improve at a tournament, regardless of how many friendlies you play. Experience and ingraining things into your muscle memory makes you better, and it takes a lot of play time to do that ie meets.
Also analysis (not that I do a lot of that because I autopilot too much and then get uthrow rested by Ted because I'm a scrub).
I dash attack into him when he shields and I get rested. Not one of my shining moments. No pun intended.

Gords

Smash Champion
tourneys are best for gauging progress, meets are best for practice and learning from better players, home is best studying (yours and better players) videos and threads for knowledge and refinement.
that's my opinion anyways, but who am i to say. i havent felt like i have improved much over the last couple of years and sometimes it feels like i hurt myself if i think to hard when i play - probably due to the fact that i get hardly no sleep these days

Completely agree with ted, go to OoS tourneys for the people, smash is only the excuse for everyone to meet up

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@Luco the best way to get better is to go to meets imho. I don't know how much one can actually improve at a tournament, regardless of how many friendlies you play. Experience and ingraining things into your muscle memory makes you better, and it takes a lot of play time to do that ie meets.
Also analysis (not that I do a lot of that because I autopilot too much and then get uthrow rested by Ted because I'm a scrub).
I know, I think given a little more time in the scene my family would be more inclined to let me but at the moment I honestly think they'd freak out: I've only been to like 4 tournaments with you guys lol. Maybe after more time and more tournaments, you know? :)

I would like to go to a meet someday, I have no doubt that it will vastly improve my skills but for now I do find tournaments improve me sooo much. I am content with just coming to tournaments until I get the chance to go to proper meets. =)

It should be noted, in response to ted that I think the experience will far outlast any wins/losses. One of the biggest reasons i'm going is to meet the people haha. I honestly hope that BAM will effectively be a bigger and better version of the tournaments i've come to here because really.... those have been really awesome and stick in my mind with a kind of fuzzy pink haze when i try to remember them in depth.

It's a great feeling. ^^

Gords

Smash Champion
luco, ask your parents if you can go to a friend's place, that is literally what a meet is.

since you live far away, when i host long meets that go for a couple of days they would suit you well. lux, invisi, etc regularly attend these meets.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There are so many reason why they wouldn't let me go, Gords. Driving issues (i've already asked my dad to take me to BAM and it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back), the non-guarantee my brother would come to a meet with me, the whole 'we don't feel safe with you going to a stranger's house', etc. Weren't you the person saying 'well yeah their reasoning makes sense'? :confused:

I'm not saying I don't want to go, i'm saying what is your suggestion for this? =(

With a public venue or at least a tourney I think i'd have a chance of being able to go. That's why i'm trying to suggest holding a tournament at this place of mine. I really do want to make the effort to play with you guys.

Tell you what? I won't host one in between now and BAM, i'll try to host one in your semester break.

I just, honestly don't know what else to do. I don't know what else I CAN do. :( :( :(

escro

Smash Ace
look luco, we all can obviously extremely clearly see how hard you're trying to get things working, but trying to do things like in in your own way really isnt going to work. or at least, it wont work very well, and won't be ideal, and only as a one time thing.
its very unfortunate that you're in this situation, but if the problem simply lies in the fact that you're young and have protective parents then the solution might be to just wait it out until you can do things on your own without having to get your parents' permission for everything and bothering your brother to come along with you all the time.

as much as you think you're getting better by coming to the occasional tournament, it's nothing compared to what you could be doing at a meet. basically what gords said in his post.
so ideally you would want to be going to meets.
so, if like in your case, you can't, and you see no way of getting around that, then there really isnt too much you can do until you can solve the actual problem. basically i'm saying that your short term goals such as trying to host tournaments isn't going to really much help you achieve your bigger, long term goal of getting better.

maybe you should work on trying to find a way to attend meets and other smaller more effective gatherings rather than jumping a few steps and going to big tourneys and stuff. i'm not discouraging you from going to bam for instance, but like i said, you can't really get better from just going to bam. going to bigger events doesn't mean that you'll get more out of it in terms of getting better at the game; it's in fact the opposite.

as for how you can try to get around your dilemma, well that's something you have to figure out yourself. we don't know a thing about your parents, or their reasons to not allow you to go to a person's house but would allow you to go to a venue(which personally i think is unreasonable; wouldn't it normally be the other way round?), so yeah, good luck with that.

tl;dr: you should for now forget about trying to organise events and focus your attention on the reasons behind your not being able to go to meets, then work your way up. if you're really serious about getting better then that shouldn't be a stretch at all.

also how old are you anyway?
the way you talk about your parents not letting you go to a "stranger's house" makes it sound like you're in primary school where you learned about stranger danger or some **** the other day.
obviously we're not your closest friends, but we're still part of the community that you chose to be a part of. how do you expect to participate if you're always so distant to it?

tedeth

Smash Master
Rektscro.

Chill Luco I'll start organising **** again soon. I have a lot of real life stuff going on to the point where smash is taking a back seat for now but I'm sure things will pick up in the next couple of months once that **** is out of the way.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
For escro haha. =)

Haha, i'm talking about what I imagine my parents would say.

The reason I say this:

On my second/third tournament (it was one of the wollongong ones), the tournament ran to time in the venue and we had to go to, oh umm, can't remember who's house it was. One of the wollongong peeps anyway, except I don't think it was stereo (could be wrong here...?). I had to call my mum to make sure it was alright with her and she said she'd ring me back. 5 minutes later, something like this happened.

*phone rings*
*picks up phone, listens to mum speak*
*mum says something along the lines of: "Okay, basically the name of the guy who's house you're going to is this, he lives on this street and the house number is... (etc, I do remember her saying some weird bit of info about it too, as if she'd done a LOT of research in those 5 minutes. Like seriously, she was just rambling this off to me as we walked).*
*I ask her why she's telling me this*
*Iirc correctly, she's just trying to confirm everything and it sounds like she's trying to commit it all to memory or something of the sort.*
*she tells me what train I MUST be back on, then we finish up the conversation*
*My brother and I play the doubles match against zxv and someone and lose, then we go home.*

What I mean by this is, it sounded to me like she was partially freaking out on such short notice. I could ask her about it but from what happened, i've never really thought i'd have much of a shot at getting her, or my dad, to say yes. I could point to the successful ending of that tourney I guess but I don't know how much better it's gonna get than that.

I love my mum but I will say that even that was kind of odd. I dunno.

Just to note, the four tournaments I have been to, I felt have improved me greatly. Meets are amazing too i'm sure but i'd call it a stretch to say tournaments do nothing. :

OH MY GOODNESS I JUST REMEMBERED SOMETHING. I almost managed to get to invisi's meet ages ago. I think my brother had something going on at the time but come to think of it I might be able to use those as examples...? I dunno.

Oh right, yea I just turned 16 like 2 weeks ago fyi.

@Ted: Oh my gosh, really? ;_;

You'd be willing to do that? You are a superhero. Take as much time as you want to do what you want, I totally understand RL stuff.

And i don't think words can explain my gratitude right now... @.@

escro

Smash Ace
ok so basically you're saying you never discussed the issue with your mum. what the **** dude?
talk to your mum. maybe its all a misunderstanding and you just assumed a bunch of crap.
remember, when you assume, you make an assh0le out of yourself.

cheese619

Smash Ace
Well, my parents think games are the devil and anyone who plays them is an extremist. So I just say I'm going to seb's house whenever I go play smash (although that's usually with seb). And I've been doing that since I was 17.
Tell parents I'm going to uni to do a group assignment.
Come home from BAM five days later.
Mumble something about bad traffic.
Now my parents think I sell drugs.
But we're still cool :D

Gords

Smash Champion
OK guys now that i got my CPU back,

just want to let you all know that i have received enough controllers form various sources.
I will be selling them off at $36.50 for those interested (I have about 10 available). please let me know how many you want via PM (or convo as it is now referred to)

note though that those who expressed interest before get priority.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
ok so basically you're saying you never discussed the issue with your mum. what the **** dude?
talk to your mum. maybe its all a misunderstanding and you just assumed a bunch of crap.
remember, when you assume, you make an assh0le out of yourself.
He knew he had been humbled,
for he would never be able to say "I told you so"

Give you a sec to figure out what that means but for those of you that want to hear it in plain everyday talk...

I WAS WRONG

On another subject, I went abseiling/canyoning at Katoomba today, went past Faulconbridge and Strathfield on my way back. I forgot how much effort it took for you guys to travel. :<

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
lol ted did you forget you already had another account? xD

followed cuz ur gay xdxd

escro

Smash Ace
more like, do YOU feel it would be easier?
this is all about you, in case you haven't realised yet.
good effort in trying to come to these though, you'll soon realise how wrong you were about thinking that just coming to tourneys would make you better.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
more like, do YOU feel it would be easier?
this is all about you, in case you haven't realised yet.
good effort in trying to come to these though, you'll soon realise how wrong you were about thinking that just coming to tourneys would make you better.
Dude, I know, that's why I want to make it as easy on you guys as possible.

I'm just trying to be helpful. =(

Yea, I know these would make me better but I know for sure that tournies have improved me.

Just not as much i'm sure.

Gords

Smash Champion
likewise for my meets luco, if they needs specifics they can call me, otherwise i could PM you more in depth details.
these days there isnt much point in posting details to my meets since everyone has pretty much been here before

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
I watch old and new videos of Armada endlessly, hoping to use a lot of his best strategies at tourneys. It helps me. I did place pretty well in the two tournaments I've attended here.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah i've been putting a lot of effort in to smash. I've been watching top players and I know so much stuff I once did not.

It's insane to think just how much i've changed. I can't wait to show you guys. ^_^

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
I have things of my own to share, so I hope to see people soon!

escro

Smash Ace
lol
when did i main him
(properly)
the moment i entered the competitive smash scene i realised he was trash so i only ever secondaried/low tiered/for fun used him

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
Link was, is, and will forever be trash!

Top Bottom