• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm just about to leave. Any issues call me on 0425 290 330.

If you want to skip doubles and come later (around 11am) that should be okay. If enough people come around this time it won't be problematic.

<3 Shaya.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

Sydney's Smoosh Boost Doubles Tournament
Ten Teams | Best of Three, Single Elimination | Final best of Five
Final: Team Fork(and some other guy) v Quite TaruTaru and Yu Indeed (4 matches played)

Rankings:
1st: Team Fork(and some other guy) [Kulla and Forky]
2nd: Quite TaruTaru and Yu Indeed [Bjay and Znemesis]

3rd: Team Icecream [Luke & ?]
4th: Shut up I can beat you in melee [? & ?]
5th -
SSP [Sylvan & Slax]
MMA [MMA & ?]
The Ganon Combo [? & ?]
Team Guo [Stuey & Gords]​
9th -
Heroes of Victory [Shaya and Chad]
SSBM​

Sydney's Smoosh Boost Singles Tournament
25 Contestants | Seven Swiss Rounds (Two Matches) -> Best of Three, Double Elimination (Top 8) | Final best of Five

Final: Kulla v Bjay (4 matches played)

Rankings: (Rank, Name, Characters Used)
1st: Kulla - Metaknight & Snake
2nd: Bjay - G&W & Wario

3rd: Forky - Metaknight

4th: Sylvan - Wolf
5th: Shaya - Marth
5th: Slax - Iceclimbers & DK
7th: Tsax - Pit
7th: Meteor Master - Ice Climbers & Lucas

Swiss Results: (Rank, Name, Char Used [top 8], Points)
(0.5 points = 1 victory)
1 - Kulla (Metaknight) 6.5
2 - Shaya (Marth) 5.5
3-5: 5
Meteor Master, (Ice Climbers, Olimar)
Fork, (Metaknight)
Bjay (Wario)​
6 - Sylvan (Wolf) 4.5
7-10: 4
Slax, (Ice climbers, DK, Pikachu)
Chad, (Pit)
ZNemesis
Gords​
11-16: 3.5
Luke,
defiled,
SSBen
3ddy
IGIF
Rain​
17 - ewij (Forfeit) 3
18-22: 2.5
e_alert
c*ck (forfeit)
2t
MMA
Seb​
23-24: 1
bwnz (forfeit)
uncle chop chop (forfeit)​
25 - Stu (forfeit) 0

<3 Shaya.

The 2t

Smash Apprentice
I was on 3.5.. oh well, maybe we forgot to report the results of a match :ohwell: unless one of my opponents reported false results or something..

Anyway, tourney was fun Shaya, thanks a bunch, I thought it was well run and had a good time. Looking forward to seeing everyone again at the next Smash event.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Meteor's current"to destroy" list:

-Kulla
-Shaya
- Slax (IC's only)

Really good tourney. Glad to see new promising players emerging! The tourney was well timed as well. Good job guys.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
Good tournament guys =D

That was my first Smash tourney. Talk about some hectic matches (especially those two I played with Bjay in the finals). I think I'm going to stop playing smash for a week, just to let my nerves recover XD

Just as a note, team SSP is me and Slax.

Gords

Smash Champion
Shaya, there was 26 participants today or wasn't I actually part of the tourney.
Shaya can you correct the results please to include my rankings. I'm pretty sure got 4 points and I only used toon link.

Congrats Kulla on winning today and also congrats to Bjay and Forky for runners up.

Also great job setting up this tourney Shaya. I can't wait for the next one.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
No, there were 25.

Just somehow your name got omitted from the 7-10 ranking bracket. (Previously there were only 3 names there).

You should have gone Pokemon Trainer, meteor master. You would have probably thrashed me.

Gords

Smash Champion
Thanks Shaya for clearing that up, it's good to see that I just missed out on the top eight by only one match.

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
Great tournament Shaya - everything was well run and you managed things incredibly well so that it all went smoothly.

Oh man Gords that Toon Link spike lol. Overall I had a better time than I thought I would considering the BARLW and no Melee but it was definately worth going. Looking for to the next one.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah, I'm really glad it went so well.

Like, before arriving I was extremely anxious. I was so worried there would be huge issues that I could barely sleep and seriously thought about just throwing in the towel.

Even though there was less of a turn out than previously thought (I can understand, many people probably weren't keen when they thought that the tourney was either cancelled or problematic, not really all those who just went out to get drunk though :p), I think the number of contestants was 'just right'. As my first time being a TO (or managing any event such as this [that I can think of]) I'm so very happy it went well and so many people enjoyed themselves and had a good time.

I'm especially surprised Bjay came along, and was really happy he did. He is a supremely charasmatic guy that was really helpful in helping things run smoothly. I am even further happy that many of the 'RAGE BRAWL' crew (<3) enjoyed playing the brawl, and are looking forward to further events.

I'm really thankful to Kulla and Forky, as well, for helping with generally everything. And everyone else who helped out and were really compliant over the "GET YOUR *** OVER TO THIS TV AND PLAY YOUR GOD **** MATCH NOWWWWWWWWWWW". Also thanks to Luke and his entourage (Seb, and Rain, I think?) for coming all the way from the ACT to participate; I hope you guys had a fun time and hope to see you in the future :D Also to the new faces; I can think of Sylvan and Slax the twins in this case. Took the tournament by storm :) Two unknowns both being in the top 8, congradulations. [I hope I didn't forget any other new guys]

When it comes to me running future events though, I'm more than glad to. I hope I can secure the CSE Seminar Room again, as I believe it was perfect for our cause and could easily host a tournament of twice the numbers (with twice the TVs/Wiis of course).

Even though I hadn't finished it, I was programming something that will hopefully be in use for future events. It's current purpose now is to be a ranking system/program. And after this perhaps just adding all the tournament features we need to add later (i.e. similar to those of Tio and Perfect Swiss). I'll be fine tuning the MATHS behind the rankings and point out a LIST at some point (if I'm going to continue doing this). It consists of more than just the rankings posted on the 14th page. It wil hopefully take other things into account. This will mostly mean those with the 'same rank' won't have the same points. It's all conjecture, MATHS MATHS MATHS.

Also for potential future events I will be doing a lot more UNSW based advertising. As in get permission to send out mass emails to all those apart of CSE to get more people interested. OF COURSE there is a level of scrubness that will come from this, but to expand and beyond. And the more people from UNSW who are there the better for my health. Alas I feel comfortable with everyone there being people I know/regulars/etc, the main reason this tournament was almost cancelled in the first place was because I couldn't say "it's for CSE peoples".

ZNemesis

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry Shaya, but maths is a turn-on for me and so I have to jump in.

I'm interested to know what "other things" will be taken into account when determining rankings.

If it were up to me, I'd implement an Elo rating system, or if I was feeling adventerous, the Glicko-2 rating system, and then have the final ranking dependant upon how good their opponents were.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
thanks shaya, that tourney was gold and I had lots of fun even though I didn't do as well as I had hoped,
I'm keen to come to more cause its so worth the trip just to get totally pwned by kulla.

and I'm going to try organize a tourney in ACT once I get a venue lined up and it'd be really cool if some of you guys came down for that.

and to meteor master, teach me that ice climber grab spike that was epic.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Edit: Bjay, you need to get off of this idea of not using the flash on your camera!
liesss - i had the flash on! I just suck at taking pics with one hand :(

my pics are usually fine! This is a one off!

unreon

Smash Ace
Congrats to Shaya for a successfull organisation!

Wish I could've come but I had too much work to do ._.

Let's have a Melee tournament next! If us vet Melee-ers play Brawl, I expect the same in return!

Bjay

Smash Lord
Melee would be cool - Melee finishing at 4.30pm like it did today would be even more awesome.

****it this site needs spoiler tags, I hate not being able to hide photos -_-

Dedu

Smash Lord
I preferred to play melee today. Didn't happen </3
Brought mah stuff too...

*cheers* to shaya for being such a fine organiser and telling everyone what to do.
Bjay - the camera seems to be very sensitive to your one hand lol.

But meh Melee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brawl anydaaaay. I haven't seen the sort of intensity and pressure in any Brawl tournaments that I often see in Melee tournaments...[/rant]

hmmm.
Hell even at Rambo in the brawl finals people didn't flock like they did in Melee.

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
Yeah hopefully all/most of the Brawl players would come to a Melee tournament and participate.

Definately looking forward to a Melee tournament but any tournament is cool.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to Shaya for the tourney today, it all went quite smoothly, and also to everyone who came! I'll make a shoutout later...too tired atm.

And... I have horrible posture in that second last photo...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Thanks to Shaya for the tourney today, it all went quite smoothly, and also to everyone who came! I'll make a shoutout later...too tired atm.

And... I have horrible posture in that second last photo...
I also feel I look very weird in the second last photo.

It disturbs me much ;_;

Bjay

Smash Lord
Watch the Evo2k 2008 Finals videos. They're really really entertaining.

I'm now a believer that Items should be standardised in Brawl.
Interesting, I totally forgot about it. Not that there's anything wrong with it here, but I think this would be definitely interesting discussion in the Sydney thread, could you mention why you're a believer (I don't find anything wrong with that, just curious, that's all)? I gotta watch these videos soon, and post my thoughts in the Sydney thread.

*cheers* to shaya for being such a fine organiser and telling everyone what to do.
Bjay - the camera seems to be very sensitive to your one hand lol.

But meh Melee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brawl anydaaaay. I haven't seen the sort of intensity and pressure in any Brawl tournaments that I often see in Melee tournaments...[/rant]

hmmm.
Hell even at Rambo in the brawl finals people didn't flock like they did in Melee.
Well I don't usually take pictures with one hand, but some pictures turned out fine, but I've definitely learnt my lesson to stick with two hands, since this is probably the first time some pics turned out horrible, at least they were just random on the spot though!

You'll find that excluding S3, S3 Squared, and Smash Revolution (Melee), most tournaments in general most (people) don't really watch the finals, but instead have friendlies. I think a fair few watched the finals for Brawl at Boost though, so that's good. I find that certain matchups tend to be watched more instead (for example, unreon vs pat at SMASH, or Kulla Vs Cao in a Swiss match).

I also feel I look very weird in the second last photo.

It disturbs me much ;_;
lol!
______

A nice wall of text is coming from me soon =D get ready ^_^

Bjay

Smash Lord
Enjoy my wall of text (it's been a while, gotta make up for it for not doing it last tourney):

My overall thoughts about the tournament:

Smash Boost - A tournament that finished at the most earliest time ever and was a lot of fun too! Splendid.

I can't believe it became very close to having a very successful tournament like this, be cancelled. It's good to see that the thumbs up were given in the end, as well as some other event occurred as well, which had non-UNSW students, which was definitely great for us as well.

Having my Sunday plans cancelled postponed, I was able to make the Smash BOOST tournament after all, and it was very nice to see everyone again, especially since everyone wasn't expecting me :p I'm glad I could make it in the end, heh it definitely would have been the first tourney I'd miss as well. Especially with my placings, which really really surprised me, I'm definitely glad I made it.

I'm glad to see that at this tournament there were a ton of new faces (most of them I haven't met before) as well, and hopefully all of them will be making a return, looking forward to having some matches with you guys again.

It's great to see that the strictness of friendlies was definitely enforced, and when the opportunity for friendlies arised, that people happily ceased their matches as soon as it was demanded.

The tournament ran really smoothly, and according to schedule, it was great to see people heading to the TVs for their matches right away, and that we never really had to wait long for any matches.

I think the room for the tournament is a great one too, it's very spacious, plenty of chairs, and considering the amount of TVs, there was plenty of room for more TVs! That was totally awesome, I would like to have another tournament there again. ^_^ A projectile projector is always great as well, not to mention there was a microphone available as well, so many resources, which definitely assists tournaments a lot.

Overall, I think the tournament was great success, and I definitely enjoyed it a lot - the fact that the tournament ran smoothly, and on schedule, was a big big help.

Some Pros & Cons (although some cons are inevitable, and usually aren't that bad, I just decided to include them to sorta even things out lol)

Pros:
- Tournament ran smoothly
- Everyone followed instructions
- Spacious room
- A lot of **** fun
- Tournament finished early

Cons:
- Single Elimination for Doubles (considering the time constraint though, it's alright)
- Not all players could make the tournament
- Stu left early :(
- Having to ring to gain entry (but that's understandable so it's okay, doesn't mean it's cool having to ring over and over though xD)
- 'TV 1' was a little *****y at the start

Okey dokey shoutouts (very short this time though, i'm so tired lol)

Chad - I don't think I've had a match with you yet huh (unless you count doubles matches lol), hopefully we can some time, as from what I can tell from the doubles so far, you're definitely good, it's just too bad that it was only a single elim for doubles (maybe the team name jinxed it :p). Cheers for taking the picture!

Dedu - Heyy Stuey great to see you again! Aww shame you left so early though? Why? Oh well, see you next time yeah?

Fork - Simon, vsing you is always awesome in my books. Our matches are always close, intense, and they can always go one way or the other. Same to previous tournaments, this one is no exception, where I definitely had a lot of epic matches with you. We must get more matches in! ^_^

Gords/MMA - Hey great to see you guys again! I never seem to really get the chance to vs you guys often huh? Although Simon I'm glad I got to vs you a couple of times today, that was sweet, since we've never really had a match before. Gords, you did pretty good today, nice surprise spike, especially at the percentage you were at, heh, all or nothing eh? :p

IGIF - lol IGIF you crack me up man =D it's great to see you again. I'll have to vs you again at Melee some time in the future, it's been a while, it's a shame you didn't get into the scene earlier, but heyy, you know what they say, it's better late than never!

Kulla - What can I say Simon, with the many impressive things you pulled off, you definitely deserved 1st place. You're very consistent, and you know how to make a comeback, not to mention all the other awesome things you pulled off (too many to list). I'm pretty happy to have matches like that against you, I honestly didn't think I'd get so far... Great to see you again! NOO! Don't smoke! Oh hey, send me that picture you took of me yeah? :D

Luke - hey man, great matches today, shame the 1st one ended with a suicide for you (although I just remembered now I suicided myself, so that makes it even), and impressive comeback for the 2nd match, that was really close. It's a shame you didn't place higher, because I definitely think you're very very good. I'd be interested in an ACT tourney as well, keep us up to date!

Sylvan/Slax - Hey guys! Nice to meet you! You guys did pretty good at the tournament as well, hopefully you guys will be at the next tournaments yeah? Well played guys!

ZNemesis - Haha, cheers for everything man. Thanks for teaming up with me as well! What can I say, it was very fun, shame you didn't get Top 8, but you were **** close, but don't worry these things happen, there's always the next one. Indeed.

Hmm I seem to have left a lot of people out, blah >_<
____

Random Stuff & Trivia
(about Boost which doesn't fit anywhere else):

- Meta Knight's Forward B is just too good
- Meta Knight has an awesome 'dying' voice over when he is Star KOed
- Port Town Aero Dive is a really really fun stage, Big Blue is probably just as fun as well
- Shaya has a secret lover who likes to call him when he is having tournament matches
- Maccas and Pizza Hut is less than a 5 minute walk from the tournament room
- The Claw on the Halberd stage loves playing mindgames
- 'IGIF Bjay c'ock'
- Kulla still remains undefeated, as well as pulls off some amazing things, as well as epic comebacks
- This tournament is the first tournament to have finished the earliest, at a very nice 4.30pm
- Smashville was probably the most used stage at this tournament
- The rubbish bin outside the front of the tournament room got owned.
- Shaya is pronounced as 'Shy-ar'
- 'TV 1' likes to stuff up
- There were a total of 4 players named Simon at the tournament
- This tournament is the first Sydney tournament to have an projector, as well as a microphone. Pretty **** good.

Bjay

Smash Lord
A very special shoutout to Shaya:

Ahh cheers a lot for the mention! Don't worry, I didn't leave you out, I thought I might do things differently and make you separate =P Cheers for running a very fun, and successful tournament. I'm definitely looking forward to more of these, and I think you're doing a top job. It seems that we still have barely yet to play, don't worry, when the time comes, we will be facing each other off too many times, if at all. ;) Great stuff again, and keep up the good work.

EDIT -

PS: AWESOME TV!

Dedu

Smash Lord
I'm now a believer that Items should be standardised in Brawl.
Just watched those vids. Gotta wub that annoying CPU for his hax.
Man had to play it on silent - those commentators were annoying.

Ken was waaaaay better than ?CPU?.

unreon

Smash Ace
What? It's been unanimously agreed that these were the best commentators in any Smash tournament. The majority of people at Evo2k don't know all the technicalities of Smash (to be honest, the games they play are far more technical in nature) and the commentator did very well in keeping everyone up to speed with what was going on, as well as throwing in a few inside jokes they would appreciate. Eg. Referring to ROB's laser as "optic blast" and I believe someone yelled out "FFS KILL THAT F'ING SENTINAL"

CPU performed better than Ken did in this tournament, he beat him twice - once to send Ken to Losers and again in the Finals. CPU performed innovative awesome things with items whilst Ken chose to throw them away instantly and try to play "normal" Brawl. ROB used the rulesets to his advantage, and for that, he's the better player at this point.

And Evo2k has by far the best commentators I've heard LMAO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2FdjP60FO0

Sirias

Smash Champion
TOO MUCH COMMENTING!

BJAYYY!!!
SIMOONN!!!
... Person who I do not know.
Last picture is awesome.
Picture of close up of Simon's face is pretty kool. o:

Lol.
LOL.
I LOL AT YOU!

I always thought Shaya was a girl.
Haaa....... I'm sorry.
I now know what you look like.
Wub? <3

Congrats to Simon and Bjay! 1st and 2nd always godly.
Forky, I SEE. That's Forky. Congrats to you too on 3rd. =]

And also to Shaya, Sylvan and Slax.
All start with S. o:
Sylvan is god for using Wolf.
<33 Hawt.

Jaz

Smash Ace
Oh and in that 2nd last photo I could have mistaken Kulla for a girl with sass if I didn't know better.
ouch

congrats on the great tourny Shay! looks like the room was a great venue and a good turnout.
plus an early finish time aswell!
i wish i could've gone ,___,

plus attendance despite cancellation rumours

this could be a regular thing, these tournies of yours ^_^
sorry i couldn't make it again... i'll do my best to make the next one

-=3ddy=-

Smash Rookie
I had an average time at BOOST, I mean it was a great tournament in the way that it was planned and directed, but i just don't like brawl. Looking forward to the melee only tourney Kulla, hope it is soon. Stu and ComboTurtle, you guys are my heroes, Turtle, you cancel on a brawl tourney just to get drunk and sleep in, and Stu, what can i say, you left in the middle of a brawl tourney.

Also Shaya - Team "Shut up I could beat you at melee" was me (3ddy) + IGIF

Bjay

Smash Lord
awww thanks kas ^_^

@jason - one of my personal favourites would be the Evo 2007 moment =P

Dedu

Smash Lord
you cancel on a brawl tourney just to get drunk and sleep in
I actually contemplated doing that the night before... >_>

I ended up drinking (well hanging round) with my friends after I left the tournament! It was more appealing than Brawl hahaha!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Love Melee and be neutral with Brawl. THATS ALL I CAN ASK FOR GUYS. (With Higher Brawl interest and lower but not any LOWER than neutral interest for melee for different persons).

Anyway, if I am able to host the next tournament at the same venue in the next month here's a LOW DOWN of how I want **** going DOWN. MAYBE.

SMOOTH WOOST + BOOST SYDNEY BRAWL/MELEE TOURNAMENT. (Add 0:30/1:00 to each time give or take further plotting or thinking)
Melee: Singles and Doubles. Double Elimination
Brawl: Singles (Swiss[w/items] + Double Elimination). Doubles (w/items) Double Elimination
This is clockwork. Taking into consideration a 32 person tournament, with 8 TVs, Melee sets being 10 minutes and Brawl Swiss sets being 10 minutes

9:00 - Registrations for Melee Singles and Doubles
9:30 - Melee Singles Start
10:30 - Melee Doubles start. (Alongside Singles which should be close to their top 10 and less use of TVs)
11:00 - Melee single approx end (excluding finals)
11:30 - Approx end time for Doubles.
;GARBLE GARBLE. Melee doubles and singles played around this time or BEFORE hand. TVs start to get set up for Brawl.
11:45 - Brawl Doubles starts.
13:00 - Brawl Swiss Singles start where applicable (2-3 swiss rounds would be optimum :D)
14:00 - Brawl Doubles Ends. Lunch break.
14:30 - Brawl Singles Swiss Continues
16:00 - Brawl Swiss ends, double elimination starts
17:00 - A nice time for friendlies to start with spare and unused tvs.
18:00 - Brawl Singles ends.
n.b. If previously claims ring true and each swiss round lasts 20 minutes... Let's hope to get at least 6-9 Swiss rounds.

Wow, STRICTEST SCHEDULE EVER AMIRITE?

To combat overlap of players with concurrent tournaments, minor seeding will be in place for those who are knocked out of a tournaments to get there matches over and done with.

Top Bottom