• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You are blowing this WAY out of proportion.

Default red to this red is barely a big deal at all.

All of my custom music is game music, too, so that's barely a change either.

teenwolftoo

Smash Cadet
Please don't allow Texture hacks, they are distracting to some players (myself included) I think there should be no hacks but menu and music, thats all. Taking out a character that is not banned any where else and allowing hacks is making our community look like a joke. Sure they are cool etc but for someone who doesn't use them they are very distracting.

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
Hahahaha.....

Unfortunately I've already commited my time on the 6th, so unless there's a storm that day I won't make it.

Represent PC in melee paul.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ok, I'm getting REALLY sick of this "Our Community Looks Like a Joke" ****.

The only people who even KNOW about Nova Scotia are ones I talk with in Stage and Tactical. And for the most part, people are interested in seeing the results of these tournaments with MK banned, and I have MULTIPLE people eager to see how the custom stages work out.

Do you see anyone else saying "Nova Scotia is a joke?" I haven't.

Furthermore, plenty of tournaments in the US have allowed minor cosmetic hacks in the past, and I should note that WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF THEM means absolutely nothing.

Anyone NOT at the tournament has no idea whether they were used or not, since my recordings will have them on regardless.

Therefore, the only people whose opinions matter at ALL in this, are those who intend to attend the tourney.

In this respect, I don't see much of a problem with a community poll on the matter, once the other TOs have given their input.

I understand the concern, but anyone saying "Our community is a joke" is quite honestly, delusional, and rather oblivious to what people actually think of us on SWF.

Yes, there are those who think we are scrubs for banning MK. A lot of these players play MK. Regardless of what they think, why should we care? We're not out to impress the mainstream Smash scene. The only people who actually give a **** about us are those who are interested in the experimental direction that we've been taking our ruleset.

I will not bend to an invisible hand that thinks we are scrubs, but if the majority of the players want the textures off, I don't have a problem with that.

But seriously, if I hear 'The community is a joke' one more time, I'm gonna stab the person who said it.

/rant

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Any more distracting than someone who is playing the All-gold color in BlazBlue?

I don't really think so, as long as they're merely color swaps, not vertex hacks.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ok, I'm getting REALLY sick of this "Our Community Looks Like a Joke" ****.

The only people who even KNOW about Nova Scotia are ones I talk with in Stage and Tactical. And for the most part, people are interested in seeing the results of these tournaments with MK banned, and I have MULTIPLE people eager to see how the custom stages work out.

Do you see anyone else saying "Nova Scotia is a joke?" I haven't.

Furthermore, plenty of tournaments in the US have allowed minor cosmetic hacks in the past, and I should note that WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF THEM means absolutely nothing.

Anyone NOT at the tournament has no idea whether they were used or not, since my recordings will have them on regardless.

Therefore, the only people whose opinions matter at ALL in this, are those who intend to attend the tourney.

In this respect, I don't see much of a problem with a community poll on the matter, once the other TOs have given their input.

I understand the concern, but anyone saying "Our community is a joke" is quite honestly, delusional, and rather oblivious to what people actually think of us on SWF.

Yes, there are those who think we are scrubs for banning MK. A lot of these players play MK. Regardless of what they think, why should we care? We're not out to impress the mainstream Smash scene. The only people who actually give a **** about us are those who are interested in the experimental direction that we've been taking our ruleset.

I will not bend to an invisible hand that thinks we are scrubs, but if the majority of the players want the textures off, I don't have a problem with that.

But seriously, if I hear 'The community is a joke' one more time, I'm gonna stab the person who said it.

/rant
The community is a joke.

I meant swf btw, but feel free to stab me. While your in quebec, you should come and play some games before doing actual stabbing.

My only problem with textures is where do we draw the line. Why is your marth changes enough and not another one? Minor is still change, major is also change. It all becomes blurry, so imo textures should not be allowed UNLESS the opposing player is ok with it.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Oh, yeah, I know the community as a whole is pretty joke, but I was obviously considering our community as if we were an even bigger joke than the original joke.

I suppose you also have a point on where to draw the line. It's extremely subjective.

I'm fine with having a "No texture upon request" rule.

I've also already prepped a "No vertex" texture set for the tourney.

teenwolftoo

Smash Cadet
I would have though the organizers would want to keep the visuals of the game at least non modified so everyone is familiar. any changes visually can have different effects on players.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I understand that, Paul, like if you're relying on being able to see the length of Marth's sword to judge your spacing.

But does something like brightening the red and adding an insignia really change much?

I can't speak for all of them, but I don't recall Justin or Camden taking any issue with these "lesser" hacks.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
For some of us, being able to have a custom tweak like that greatly enhances the enjoyment of play.

If I can do so without drastically offending anyone or affecting gameplay, I will.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
With the other TO's clearance, I'll toss it as a poll question into the Poll that will be coming up regarding side events. We just need to think up a clever name for the tourney. >.>

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
community vote wont prove much because only regulars will see it

i think paul/katie are more concerned about newbies. a minor change can still be enough to make the experience less enjoyable, and could turn people away. it sounds extreme, but it could happen

turning away a couple of people might not seem like much, but it will add up.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Colin, I don't think you've seen the newbie's reactions at the biweeklies. The general response is ALWAYS something along the lines of "OHHHH COOOOOOL!"

camden

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Colin, any newbie that sees this kind of stuff ends up loving it. It's hilarious.

Also, just so my opinion is plugged, I am in favour of all reasonable character textures. When I say reasonable, I mean good-looking, but still able to make out the characters' vitals (Tip of Marth's sword, etc.). I am also in favour of reasonable stage textures. Music swapping is also acceptable as long as it isn't a major distraction, for example, songs with spoken word, or the ******** Mix Sam had where you'd hear a Baseball Bat Smash every now and then.

Sound is okay, but only to different languages (NTSC Brawl to JP Brawl for example).

Anything else I should be concerned with? :\

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yeah Colin, any newbie that sees this kind of stuff ends up loving it. It's hilarious.

Also, just so my opinion is plugged, I am in favour of all reasonable character textures. When I say reasonable, I mean good-looking, but still able to make out the characters' vitals (Tip of Marth's sword, etc.). I am also in favour of reasonable stage textures. Music swapping is also acceptable as long as it isn't a major distraction, for example, songs with spoken word, or the ******** Mix Sam had where you'd hear a Baseball Bat Smash every now and then.

Sound is okay, but only to different languages (NTSC Brawl to JP Brawl for example).

Anything else I should be concerned with? :\
I pretty much agree with everything said here. I'm fine with stage textures as long as they aren't dynamic to a ridiculous degree. Example of what NOT to put as a stage texture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9HjrIY3_EU

Just... no...

:034:

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
you're right, i havent seen their reactions. in case you didnt notice, i dont go to bi-weeklies LOL

anyways i'm just saying that because i've heard people say they're distracting, i dont know about all of them though so my bad on that.

also, on a more biased note, i really dislike texture hacks. they're cool the first time, then they're annoying and distracting. just my opinion

Adapt

Smash Lord
Could I request that we at least allow a proper Red and Green color scheme for Sonic and Lucario? There used to be a rule in the SWF ruleset that dealt with their colors in teams. I'm not sure if it's still there.

For the record, I don't mind using texture swaps

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Granted we don't have too many Sonic/Lucario users (at least not as their mains), but it's still a great idea.

:034:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Noting this here as well:

WE HAD TO MOVE THE DATE TO THE 20TH BECAUSE WE COULDN'T BOOK THE VENUE FOR THE 6TH. SORRY GUYS. D:

Yeah, these things happen sometimes. Tentative dates xD

Croi

Smash Lord
I don't like playing Nick solely because I have no idea what to do against Pikachu. He's not at enough bi-weeklies to learn how he uses him.

I suppose I have the same advantage but still.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Fighting Nick's Pikachu is easy! You just take off one stock, then wait for him to SD trying to do something fancy!

Top Bottom