• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not sure if it's known... but dair on tether recoveries

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I'm not 100% sure if this is known, but if you groundfloat and dair toon link or link when they try to tether recover, it hits them before they get their invincibility frames.

So when they thether and start pulling themselves up, if you dair you can knock them out of their thether...

Not sure if it works on samus or shiek or lucas... but I've successfully done it on tlink and link. Pretty cool

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Neat.

I've been toying around with dair as an "edgeguard" on some of the characters with better recoveries. They're gonna recover anyway, so why not land a dair.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I remember Edreese said he gimped Foxes and such by hitting with the first few hits of dair, then backing off. Anyone do that? Is that good?

Nordal

Smash Lord
It really depends how he recovers and on the player's SDI. You might end up eating Fox's side B if he jumps high enough to avoid the Dair hitbox, and Nair seems better for his fire recovery.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I remember Edreese said he gimped Foxes and such by hitting with the first few hits of dair, then backing off. Anyone do that? Is that good?
I did it in friendlies once by accident. He didn't see it comming so he screwed up and recovered too low. Seems like it should work though.

Also when i did it i got maybe 2 hits of dair in if that helps

White-Peach

Smash Ace
Neat.

I've been toying around with dair as an "edgeguard" on some of the characters with better recoveries. They're gonna recover anyway, so why not land a dair.
In a melee tournament (long long ago~) I played Husband's marth. There wasn't auto-snap ledgegrabs back then, and I think I instafloat'd the first hit of DAir (onstage) on marth's hand (either on the ledge or during the upB), float cancelling during the stun, hitting DSmash, and slamming him underneath the ledge of FD. One of my proudest moments. :))

HI!

/lurkmode ON

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
In a melee tournament (long long ago~) I played Husband's marth. There wasn't auto-snap ledgegrabs back then, and I think I instafloat'd the first hit of DAir (onstage) on marth's hand (either on the ledge or during the upB), float cancelling during the stun, hitting DSmash, and slamming him underneath the ledge of FD. One of my proudest moments. :))

HI!

/lurkmode ON
You dont know how much I missed you.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Won't it send them up and help them recover?

Personally I freepull > Z-drop turnips for tether recoveries.

Judo777

Smash Master
It doesn't work on sheiks tether, hers is 100% invincible. If she gets the ledge with her tether (assuming she has time to retract since all tethers have a little lag before you can begin retracting) she is getting to the ledge no matter what. She can begin retraction and roll on the ledge all completely invincible (til the ending lag on roll obv).

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Won't it send them up and help them recover?

Personally I freepull > Z-drop turnips for tether recoveries.

That's good too, I was just thinking if you didn't have a turnip in hand at the time, might be a good way to do it.

The idea is to dair and retreat so that they don't get the last pop up hit.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
dairs a lot faster anyway, and doesn't require a running start, so its a lot more realistic to actually get (since when edgeguarding your opponent you'll probably already be at the ledge anyway)

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
hmm, the turnip is more effective coz if u drop it in path of an imperfect up b it'll hit them before the autosnap. turnips easily knocks marth away from autosnapping the ledge if u do it right.

Top Bottom