• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Sheridan's like super feminist man; it's kinda disgusting. It's a debate/argument/whatever the heck you wanna call it. SuperRad no matter how gay his position on the game is, still is giving a position. I wanna see some people argue back. Not keel over and say, "BLAH BLAH STOP BEING OPPRESSIVE AND THIS THAT AND THE OTHER THING." eh hem sheridan.

Cmon whadya'll gotta say?

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
First off. No. Isai pushed the Limits of 64 way farther than anybody could have imagined. That is a disgustingly exaggerated hyperbole.

Really? Hehe, Yeah, It is way different. In many aspects, which I will probably end up discussing Below.

You are thinking/playing Brawl like you are in melee. Right now, that is all we have, because either we can't or we are afraid to step outside those boundaries, and think about "What Meta-games are we supposed to create for Brawl...?" So do you really think that a game needs to be as Fast as Melee to be competitive? And do you think it needs that speed to be Pushed as far as Melee was? In my opinion, Super Smash 64 was pushed much farther than Melee ever will be.

So then, whats to say that we can't find that technique that is going to change this game forever? The bottom line is, it isn't even out in America yet, Only some few have played it. Competitive smashers aren't going to let this game just fall through the cracks, they are going to fight to make this game competitive. Melee didn't get competitive till about 2004 yeah? That was 3 years after it's release. But now there is a standard. There is an expectation, There are gamers out there, who are going to open this package, and wavedash, just to see if it is out or not, for reals. That is the kind of Drive I'm talking about. People are going to be striving to find out new techniques, and also find out how the old ones pertain to this game.

Thats what we don't know. How can you be serious here? We haven't even had the game for like 4 months, and you are expecting something revolutionary to come out of it? No, you won't get it, it does not work like that. Just wait, somebody is going to find how to cancel a smash or something. Nothing has been discovered yet, gotta be patient. At least Germ is trying to use the Air dodging efficiently. That is a start for some Advanced Techniques.

People say that because in a way, this is a completely different game, therefore, there are more things to learn. However, the base concept is the same, get your opponent off the edge and kill them. But can we agree that this game isn't Melee v 2? No, it is Brawl. Nothing more, nothing less. So it is a different games. so there are more things to learn.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get bashed like this too.

Ending Statement.
What makes a game competitive? Thank Scamp for this, Hopefully I get this last part right. It isn't about how technical you can be, it is about choices. How many different ways can I thwart my opponent? It's all about how many choices you have. Limit your self to one, and you have a single minded game, in which every character is going to be played the same, due to the lack of options you have. Make or find new ways to play, and you have your self an awesome fighter, that is going to be competitive.

I think at this point, we just need to Wait and See.
Nobody has any real answers.
I will not read any of the above quoted because you're a noob and your opinion does not matter.

RPK

Smash Lord
Only thing new I see with Brawl is that the damage reduction thing...So now were unable to spam our kill moves and have rely on it being the finishing blow. But yeah...They basically ***** the game and took out everything casual games hated, aka, Crouch canceling, wavedashing, L-canceling, ect. Characters are slower and more floaty, there is like an automatic sweetspotting for the ledge, DIing is much much much easier...I dont know how to say it so....
[Sakurai: So from Ive read on this card, you guys want Brawl to be as much of a competitive game as melee....]

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
and since when do people need to care about something to have a debate? i care only in the context of my boredom.

it's really just another way to belittle someone and to be less tolerant, qualities i'm sure you value, jigglypuff user.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
and since when do people need to care about something to have a debate? i care only in the context of my boredom.

it's really just another way to belittle someone and to be less tolerant, qualities i'm sure you value, jigglypuff user.
If people want to debate its merits from a critical standpoint fine, but I've yet to see such a debate not degenerate into people essentially insulting others for not liking or disliking what they like.

If someone is trying to argue that anyone who likes Brawl is simply being naive and not looking at it from a critical standpoint, then he's either a naif himself or refuses to understand that different people have different values in gaming (in which case we get "ur valuez SUCK LOL").

Unfortunately debates on the internet (and debates such as this one where subjectivity runs rampant) lend themselves to a whole lot of backpedaling on both sides. I enjoy debate very much, but making shadily-defined statements or being as ambiguous as possible and just relying on the 'gist' of words is the dialectical equivalent of lasering once with Fox on Hyrule and running away for 7:59. You just fall back on your own ambiguities either in position or in language that you've set up and try to trap people into misrepresenting what you say, all the while taking shots at their reading comprehension and debate skills. Not YOU but 'one' is what I mean. Sure it's not necessarily an ERRONEOUS tactic but it's just ****ing irritating and not fun to engage in at all. Maybe it's fun for you though, I don't know. In any case I've no interest in getting involved in such things.

PS I like Gigalypuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9VWwwYeB9A

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
If people want to debate its merits from a critical standpoint fine, but I've yet to see such a debate not degenerate into people essentially insulting others for not liking or disliking what they like.

If someone is trying to argue that anyone who likes Brawl is simply being naive and not looking at it from a critical standpoint, then he's either a naif himself or refuses to understand that different people have different values in gaming (in which case we get "ur valuez SUCK LOL").

Unfortunately debates on the internet (and debates such as this one where subjectivity runs rampant) lend themselves to a whole lot of backpedaling on both sides. I enjoy debate very much, but making shadily-defined statements or being as ambiguous as possible and just relying on the 'gist' of words is the dialectical equivalent of lasering once with Fox on Hyrule and running away for 7:59. You just fall back on your own ambiguities either in position or in language that you've set up and try to trap people into misrepresenting what you say, all the while taking shots at their reading comprehension and debate skills. Not YOU but 'one' is what I mean. Sure it's not necessarily an ERRONEOUS tactic but it's just ****ing irritating and not fun to engage in at all. Maybe it's fun for you though, I don't know. In any case I've no interest in getting involved in such things.

PS I like Gigalypuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9VWwwYeB9A
i learned a while ago never to take anything remotely serious on smash boards

it's much more fun to view it all as one big experiment, with the humans my test subjects. so i mess with everyone, especially online. it's a lot of fun. you're not interested in that? okay.

frotaz37

Smash Lord

it's much more fun to view it all as one big experiment, with the humans my test subjects. so i mess with everyone, especially online. it's a lot of fun. you're not interested in that? okay.
You're such a ****ing idiot.

It's no wonder SoCal ridicules you so much.

Get over yourself bro, then maybe you wont be outcasted by your entire region and it's neighboring regions.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
you mad?

next time we see each other in real life we'll fight, okay? i've been DYING to fight someone, i hope you won't disappoint me and be all big passive panda bear or something, i really want a good fight

edit: no i'm not kidding at all, don't ***** out

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord

you mad?

next time we see each other in real life we'll fight, okay? i've been DYING to fight someone, i hope you won't disappoint me and be all big passive panda bear or something, i really want a good fight

edit: no i'm not kidding at all, don't ***** out
srry P ur cool and all

i jus found it funny

and my bad if i offended u

but yea its too much tension on a game made by the same people..u guys should debate to homeboy who made brawl and melee

Top Bottom