• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Oh btw scamp I didn't take it that it at the STD. I found it hidden behind Simna's Guitar Hero guitar in the morning so I decided to take it to my place where it would be safe. Seriously though I did not take it when you were looking for it I swear.

btw OMG ENDER'S SISTER IS SMOKING HOTT OMG!

Bootleofwater

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I'm new to smashboards, and I'm looking for local tourneys. I live in Castro Valley, not too far from San Jose, and I'm thinking about going. I was wondering if I could get some detail on where exactly it is ( like a map or something, I don't know my way around the campus). I saw the address on page 1, but I would like to know some more details about the tournament. Whatever's good maybe someone could AIM me, send me an e-mail or reply because I've never been to a tournament before. Thanks!

Castro Valley you say? I live in Hayward. If you want we can smash sometime.

SuperRad

Smash Master
i am willing to give money to Shadow (what do you like to be called?) if its ok with karthik. I trust him, and im sure karthik does too, but i just want to make sure that karthik wouldn't just want it at a later date (if hes going to be at the biweekly after this.)

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
i am willing to give money to Shadow (what do you like to be called?) if its ok with karthik. I trust him, and im sure karthik does too, but i just want to make sure that karthik wouldn't just want it at a later date (if hes going to be at the biweekly after this.)
Shadow is fine by me haha. I don't know when Karthik will be at a biweekly though, so you'd have to ask him, oh yeah I'd prefer that you tell him about the amount first before me, just so some people don't think I am keeping some for myself, I want the money to go to NCT2 just as much as Karthik does so yeah:coolmonke heh. I think Karthik will be at the next biweekly (after this one) if you feel more comfortable giving the money to him, either way is fine, and thank you in advance for the donation, we (all smashers going IMO) appreciate it.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Sheet, Lunin isn't going to this one so...

I NEED A TEAMMATE. A GOOD ONE. I LIKE MONEY.

I submit my Jiggly for your approval.

P.S: As a reminder I'm coming from SC so no rides for you SF/Peninsula kids. Plus I have to leave moderately early because I have huge exams the 11-14 to study for.

djkarthik

BRoomer
BRoomer
3DS FC
0962-9800-7488
Sheridangerous, want to team up? (unless Tristan is teaming with me? O_o)

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

There's no one I trust more than my "OA" ShadowBTZO, he's basically NCT2's assistant host.

But you should give KizzoGirl the money because he's the one who will be dealing with all the money payments for the venue so it's best if Kizzo just gets atleast a couple of hundred bucks before early October.

However, for formalities, you should tell me the amount either by PM or Instant messaging means just so I can keep a log of all the money that's going into the NCT2 Fund. Just for formalities, of course.

Now as for my attendance at the upcoming biweekly, it's at 50% now. I may go, or I may not go. It just depends. We'll see. Oh, and Scamp inspired me. We may be doing Pools at this biweekly to basically do a test-run for NCT2.

To anyone that is curious, the NCT2 Fund stands at: $301 now. We still need more.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
The pools are to test my time-theory, so that I may see if team pools will be feasable for NCT2, and to see about how much time we'll truly need for pools and such for the singles tourney.

Also, even though it's probably not kosher, I will be auctioning off seeds and guaranteed (at least) 5th place placings via the "special warp bracket." I will also take NC2 donation bribes in order to pair you up with whoever you want first round. I'm also willing to accept money for NCT2 for other creative actions as well. All money from rigging will go towards NCT2 except for 1 dollar which will buy me a double cheeseburger.

And maybe 1.25 will go toward buying King a snack wrap.

No, seriously, if you want to get 5th place, step it up with the cash!

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
The pools are to test my time-theory, so that I may see if team pools will be feasable for NCT2, and to see about how much time we'll truly need for pools and such for the singles tourney.

Also, even though it's probably not kosher, I will be auctioning off seeds and guaranteed (at least) 5th place placings via the "special warp bracket." I will also take NC2 donation bribes in order to pair you up with whoever you want first round. I'm also willing to accept money for NCT2 for other creative actions as well. All money from rigging will go towards NCT2 except for 1 dollar which will buy me a double cheeseburger.

And maybe 1.25 will go toward buying King a snack wrap.

No, seriously, if you want to get 5th place, step it up with the cash!
Uh...not trying to be rude or anything, but I don't really approve of that. I don't think people should be able to buy their places in tournaments, it favors the wealthy and less skilled.

Karthik: Yayuhz "OA" title too good, haha. I'm trying my best to live up to it XD, that's why I know so much about everyone and their regions, brackets, and I'm trying my best to contribute to NCT2 (I don't know about money, but I'm giving my service which is too good lol jk). As for teams, I'd talk to Tristan about it, but I think I'm teaming with him, we'll figure it out though, if Tristan teams with Karthik though I'll team wit ya Hyuga. As of now I'm teaming with Tristan though:cool:

AndyS.

Smash Cadet
What time will each event start around? I know singles start later, and I'd rather just go to singles.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
What time will each event start around? I know singles start later, and I'd rather just go to singles.
Well it depends on if we do crews/draft crews again, I'd say to just keep checking the thread and you'll see it, typically it's around 4 though, in case you can't check the thread or anything.

bioalp43

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i need a team for this.....i play falco and jiggly, i play they both pretty evenly sooo yeah, i will probably be wearing a freshmen shirt (btw im a sophmore) and i am probably the sexiest thing in the room so im kinda hard to miss haha

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Uh...not trying to be rude or anything, but I don't really approve of that. I don't think people should be able to buy their places in tournaments, it favors the wealthy and less skilled.

Donations also favor the wealthy and less skilled.

It also gives people incentive to donate. I'm not just gonna plunk them into 5th place after the tourney, they'll get to play for it.

I mean, I could just say "that's life" or some other non-sequiter like that, but I think it'd be a good opportunity to raise some money for NCT2. Meanwhile donators get a high placing they can call their own and at least one guaranteed match in a tournament against a top Norcal player.

I just don't think anyone really cares enough to get upset when money for NCT2 is to be made!

Besides, no one really seems to be chomping at the bit for a seed/plpacing upgrade. So it may all be moot.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Donations also favor the wealthy and less skilled.

It also gives people incentive to donate. I'm not just gonna plunk them into 5th place after the tourney, they'll get to play for it.

I mean, I could just say "that's life" or some other non-sequiter like that, but I think it'd be a good opportunity to raise some money for NCT2. Meanwhile donators get a high placing they can call their own and at least one guaranteed match in a tournament against a top Norcal player.

I just don't think anyone really cares enough to get upset when money for NCT2 is to be made!

Besides, no one really seems to be chomping at the bit for a seed/plpacing upgrade. So it may all be moot.
Yeah, but donations don't earn you a spot in a higer seed or anything. I understand what you mean though, don't get me wrong I feel the same way, but I just feel like that's a bit of an unfair to the other players (IMO I'm kinda picky about this type of equality don't know why XD). I'd leave that as a last resort if possible, because from the looks of it, we are doing pretty good on donations for NCT2.

djkarthik

BRoomer
BRoomer
3DS FC
0962-9800-7488
Yeah, I don't think that's acceptable either, Scamp.

I think it would just be better if we take 50% of the pot out.

By the way, OA, you put "higer", it's spelled "higher". Step it up, kid. Roflmao.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
yeah...to be honest im one of the "wealthy but unskilled" people...im planning on donating 20 dollars to the NCT fund, and i wouldnt accept any reward for that mroe than a "choose who you play against first" gig...because anything more and it wouldnt be a donation, i'd be buying something. and thats not what donating is about, right? im not giving this money to get anything in return...the only thing i expect te return from my investment is a quality tournament that will likely play a large part in my deciding of how far i want to take smash!

donating FTW

djkarthik

BRoomer
BRoomer
3DS FC
0962-9800-7488
yeah...to be honest im one of the "wealthy but unskilled" people...im planning on donating 20 dollars to the NCT fund, and i wouldnt accept any reward for that mroe than a "choose who you play against first" gig...because anything more and it wouldnt be a donation, i'd be buying something. and thats not what donating is about, right? im not giving this money to get anything in return...the only thing i expect te return from my investment is a quality tournament that will likely play a large part in my deciding of how far i want to take smash!

donating FTW
I praise you ICEninja.

You shall certainly get a quality tournament in return for your tournament. You win at life, good job.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
Hey, we can sell Smash NCT2 merchandise and use the profits for the tourny fund. Also...auctioning seeds seems to be very interesting although as BTZO says it Caaan be a little......*can't think of word*...

50% Of the POT!?!?!? HOLY SHIGGLES! Maybe a little less.

...or we can fundraise. Buy chocolate bars or Pizza then sell 'em at the tourny & donate the profit to the NCT2 fund. There are MUCH better ways to make money for the tourny opposed to taking money out of the pot. Taking money out of the pot is like taking money away from the hard working top 3 placers. But the top 3 would usually donate anyway...lol...

Lets get some input from the rest of the NorCal community on How-We-Could-Make-Money

donating FTW
Yes you ARE buying something, but do you wonder where the money goes? ;).

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
*cracks fingers*

teams all for pot (I think)

singles: $1 for NCT2, 1 for club tax, rest for pot. And possibly $5 out of first place prize so Kizzo can get himself a burrito. Thats what Kizzo said before.

Teams are $5 per person
Singles are $6

The King

Smash Ace
I would say, continue to run your NCT2-Fundraiser tournies, where half the pot finds its way into the donation fund and the rest is distributed to the competitors (or however you ran it last time). Mandatorily taking out 50% of the biweekly pot for supporting NCT2 isn't much of a "Donation Effort" at all, that's just taking money from the smashers who came to compete over the pot, and forcibly putting it towards the nct tournies.

I would advocate holding side-fundraisers like selling Pizza/Sodas/etc. to raise money, or simply asking for Donations at the venue. Holding NCT fundraiser-specific tournies is one thing, but forcibly collecting donations from the biweekly pot, when we also already pay a little extra to support the cost of the venue every other week, is another thing entirely.

And I can't say i entirely disapprove of Scamp's idea. :psycho: Maybe alter it a bit so you can't just decimate your favorite scrub first round, but maybe if someone wants to be paired up against a great player first round such as Isai or SS for the experience, maybe a couple bucks of donation to arrange it? It wouldn't be too shady, and odds are it wouldn't effect the tourney results anyways.

Maybe I'll put up $10 to get Lunin first round?:p

King Out

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
HAY GUYS. wrong thread >.>
O.o;;
-0 0-
. > .
----
\_/
*_*
:/

bioalp43

Smash Journeyman
I have an idea.....how bout like donation money matches....where they hire reasonably good officials (king, lun, etc) who accept money matches from other players and whoever wins, the other person has to donate 3-5 dollars or something like that lol....

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Ok from the looks of it there are alot of different opinions on the entry fees. Okay, here's what I think of it, neither of these two scenarios are biased, and if are, then they are not supposed to be interpreted that way, so if there is a problem with whether or not they are biased or you have any other questions feel free to talk to me on aim about it. Okay, I'd appreciate it if you read this and give your opinions on which would be best, because it concerns you and is supposed to make you guys happy, not any of the organizers.

First Scenario: We pay $7 for Singles, and $5 per player for teams, and $2 dollars from Singles goes to NCT2, which is less than we payed before, but I did notice when I took signups that people were reluctant to pay $8 dollars even, but if we pay $7 dollars for singles and donate $2 dollars to NCT2 we will be done with the costs much earlier, and be able to have all the money go to the pot, and keep the $7 dollar entry only for the biweeklies and not for anything else. Also with this entry fee, more money goes to the pot than in the next scenario.

Second Scenario: We pay $6 for singles, and $5 per player for teams, and $1 dollar from singles goes to NCT2, which would be a lower entry fee, saving some of your guys' money, but less would go to NCT2. To some people though, this is more appealing, because although the $1 is kept in your pocket, you are only having to pay $1 dollar to NCT2, and everything else goes to the pot for the biweekly. This may take a while longer, but in the long run you pay the same amount, except you save more money at the time, and if you aren't interested in NCT2, you only have to pay $1 towards it (which is considered a part of the entry fee).

Third Scenario: We pay $7 for singles, and $5 per player for teams, and $1 goes to NCT2 which is higher than the previous entry fee, but this way more money goes to the pot, meaning if you are going for top 3, you get more money this way, and if you have no interest in NCT2, then (again) only $1 of your money goes to NCT2. Even if you don't think you are getting top 3 though, there is always the desire to strive for it, and it is a possibility, so you may desire this scenario.

Fourth Scenario: We pay $10 for singles, and $5 per player for teams, and $2 goes to NCT2, which is higher than the previous entry fees, but greatly boosts the amount of money in the pot, and actually compared to the other tournaments going on, is still quite low. Although this option may seem less appealing, it again shows if you are attempting to go for a top 3 finish or would like to see the top players get what they deserve money-wise, then this would be fit.

Okay, again I'd appreciate it if you read these guys, I (and many others) have put much thought into them, and they do involve your money, and if you have read them, thank you and please give your input of what you think of them, because it determines which will be used.

sidefx

Smash Champion
#3 ftw.

soley because, that even at 1 dollar taken out of singles, you will get the same amount of money that you are looking for in the end, just at a longer period of time.

i dont see why we haev to be paying 2 dollars out of singles, to get it done quicker, when we can reduce it, for the same mount of money in the end result.

i know some of you say its only a dollar, but its not about the dollar. its about not paying 2 dollars when you can just pay 1.

and also people who drive there, pay alot more moeny than the cost of the tourny.

gas is also included in our budget for the biweekly. 20 bucks in gas, ~15 for the tourny, ~10 for food, nearly 50 bucks.

and also, karthik said that he made roughly around 300 dollars at the last fundraising tourny, this past saturday, and with another fundraising tourny, you wouldnt even need the 1 dollar out of the biweekly. only 600 is needed for the venue rental price, food can be bought and sold if needed, and you would make profit off that as well, so all in all, 1 dollar each is pushing it really. when you look at all the other possibilities that you can include to raise money for the 2 NCT2's

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
hey nintendo king i may not have a partner for doubles. i'd go with ya! falcon + fox FTW. fox's up throw to falcon's knee is the sexiest doubles combo thats easily implamented!
Hell why not you only live once. Ok so, If I upthrow over 75% feel free to fly in with a knee, anything below is all mine. Pretty much that's it!!

TEAM ROYAL NINJAS!!! OIY!!!

sidefx

Smash Champion
how is it "way too much"

5 dollars is crap.

you name any other biweekly, their minimum price is at 10$, most are at 20.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
anything but 4. $10 is way too much for singles
Yeah, what Boback said was what I mentioned in the 4th scenario, I realize it is alot, but I gave some possible reasons as to why you would want that one, and please, choose one, and if you do, could I see some reasoning. I'm not accusing Rey, he said he would post more later haha.

Top Bottom