• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
konata = kagamin >> minoru
nanako = yui > minao = patricia = minami
miyuki = tsukasa = akira
yutaka
ayano
hiyori

irl akira was hot tho
lewl theres more media to it that i will probably go track down

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Shut the **** up. ****ing **** **** ****. Enough anime fap ****. I want to seriously mushroom print all your foreheads for talking about that ****. GO****IT. This pisses me off so much. You've all officially pissed me off. Now I'm pissed. ****.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
iono, i think anime is ok to watch and the girls are cute in it sometimes so its all good

man kirby is good in brawl, i pick green kirby

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i feel like such a noob cuz idk what the balls y'all be talkin' 'bout...

but yeah, i heard a green kirby won an 8 man tourney last night.

Miztik

Smash Master
I feel like my shiek is better after the tourney yesterday and playing for a few hours today even tho i mainly went fox today when i played shiek it felt really good

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
I'm making strides already.
Tech skill practice helped a lot. I feel so dumb for how I used to play.

I still need to get smarter. I feel like I can't think when I play yet.
i know exactly what you mean. lol
my fox is getting really technical and pretty fast, but i'm still not able to adapt to whatever is beating me. lol i'm garbs.

EazyP

Smash Ace
I'm making strides already.
Tech skill practice helped a lot. I feel so dumb for how I used to play.

I still need to get smarter. I feel like I can't think when I play yet.
Thinking while playing is just like learning to l cancel, at first it feels weird and you forget to do it completely maybe, but you just have to keep reminding yourself to think, try out mindgames mid match, see patterns that your opponent is doing. Just talk to yourself during the match like "oh he teched away" at first, keep the brain working. Once you get used to it you'll get it

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
no.

compartmentalize. i'm serious.

make things simple on yourself. simple becomes second nature. second nature allows yourself to react and not think. the game becomes intuitive at that point.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
When you can't think in smash, you simply don't know what to think about.

If you're playing blindly, just make a style and follow it. From there it'll be natural to think.

I have a style that I've been following for a while -- I've defined it in words (in my smash journal omg). It's that Smash consists of 4 situations:

-> The Goal
-> The Approach
-> The Escape
-> The Follow-Through (make another goal)

When I start a match with someone, I define a goal for myself (get a grab to start off a combo for example). I then, by experience, approach the enemy. Once I complete my goal (or not), I follow-through (make another goal).

I define the escape situation as having a method to end my opponents goal.

I am in one of the 4 all of the time. There are also transition periods. Transition periods exist between the goal & the approach, and the escape & follow-through. Here is an example of a popular transition period:

Fox upthrows Falco onto platform and Falco doesn't tech
Falco can either do a getup attack, roll left, roll right, or just get up

During that period, mindgames take place.

yeah.

EDIT:

A clever technique I use once in a while (to create more transitional periods) is to end my combo EARLY. This boggles your opponents escape method and makes them default to a general thing to do (block).

MacD

Banned via Administration
how can rey be good, he lost to my peach... but that was in a freindly where i've heard people don't try hard

eh whatev, next time i mm you rey $.25

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
macd, do not brag about friendlies. lol
i don't say anything on the boards about who i beat in friendlies. (still wanna play rey. lol)

MacD

Banned via Administration
that's why i wanna mm him, so i can see how badly he'll **** me, then i can be like oh i only got 1 stocked by rey

or i can get like good or something and get far in a tourny and then play them but that sounds like hard work

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
lunin, that's pretty complicated. then again, i've never heard any good player's thought processes.

i do it by separating stuff into categories:

edge guarding
approaching
on stage
in air
in shield

etc.

those things can be separated into further categories if need be.

so on the stage for example, there are two parts: the edge and the center. i always want to be in the center, as the center equals control. if i am near the edge, i focus on getting control of the center, only attacking if it is safe.

so basically whenever i'm not in control of center stage, my no. 1 focus is how to get control of center stage again. so i play defensively. when i'm in control, i can afford to play offensively again.

players always have habits in specific situations as well. when someone is in the air, they are very vulnerable. what do they like to do when coming down from the air? if they're in their shield, what are their habits? when they're on the edge, what do they like to do off of it? attack, land, wavedash on and immediately roll, etc.

i trained myself to focus on common situations and to know my and my opponent's options when those situations present themselves. since you're focusing on those specific situations, you naturally learn your opponent's habits and what to expect. the more you do it, the more it becomes second nature.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
Hardcore theorists are not good in smash. When the human mind comes into play, it is as unpredictable as sociology.

----

Rather than juggling thoughts about the match (debating what to do next), it is best to default to a greater goal. If a smasher doesn't know what to do and is completely confused about a match, just default to either:

"not getting hit" / "camping 'til they cry" / "shinespiking" / "being tricky" / "playing perfectly"
mindsets of Isai, camper bob, zelgadis, ken, japanese players (in that order obviously)

----

PC Chris & Ken have an open mind throughout the game. They are never stubborn.

----

yea...

EDIT:

If a fox/falco forward B's toward the center of the stage while you are at the edge blocking, by the time you get to them, they can do ANYTHING. IT IS A TRAP, THEY CAN ATTACK YOU!

----

Also, I don't look for every single habit a person has. I try to prevent them from using their habits. My goal is to punish them for whatever they're doing.

For example, when I played jigglypuffs, their darn habit was to switch off between blocking and jumping out of it. Because they did this all the freakin' time, it was very risky to predict when they'd get out of their shield for an upsmash. If I upsmash their shield, they could punish me. If I go up to them and they jump out before I even up smash, they could still punish me. What I did to solve this was to run up to a jiggly puff and just uptilt. If I hit their shield I could just uptilt again before they could do anything. If they jumped out and I uptilted, I would still be in a good position.

I hope that was clear...

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
nice edit lol

i find myself playing in rhythms as opposed to "thinking" in most cases.
(save for edge guarding)

but if i focus on this for a while, it'll come easier.
my problem in smash isn't fixing mistakes, it's finding them.

LOOK OUT FOR ME IN '09 jk

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
play me more kenny thats all it takes lol i can find your mistakes and help you fix them

pssh... scrub

scrub - a scrub is a guy that thinks he's fly and is
also known as a buster
always talkin' about what he wants
and just sits on his broke ***

Top Bottom