• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
wow. HAHHAA resurrection at it's finest since jesus. (no offense to jesus. LOL)

SuperRad

Smash Master
So
I've decided I need to stop ******* around
And that I should actually get better at Melee

For the next couple weeks, it will be hard for me to travel to play smash. I'm going to try and prepare myself to get better by working on the fundamentals of tech skill and spending some time thinking about the game and how to make decisions.

In January, I'll be able to travel for smash again. I want to go play people who are willing to try and help me get better. If you are willing to play me 1 on 1 for hours and try to help form my skill, I'm willing to make the effort to come play you. If you are hosting a smashfest for a day, I am interested in coming up and trying to hone my skills.

I don't even really know why I'm posting this.
I just feel like if I don't put this out in public it will be too easy for me to go back on what I feel I should do right now.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
So
I've decided I need to stop ******* around
And that I should actually get better at Melee

For the next few weeks, it will be hard for me to travel to play smash. I'm going to try and prepare myself to get better by working on the fundamentals of tech skill and spending some time thinking about the game and how to make decisions.

In January, I'll be able to travel for smash again. I want to go play people who are willing to try and help me get better. If you are willing to play me 1 on 1 for hours and try to help form my skill, I'm willing to make the effort to come play you. If you are hosting a smashfest for a day, I am interested in coming up and trying to hone my skills.

I don't even really know why I'm posting this.
I just feel like if I don't put this out in public it will be too easy for me to go back on what I feel I should do right now.
come to socal

who are you going to main? sheik? well, whoever you pick, here's an easy but very important tip: stay on the ground. approaching in the air = bad. (shffls are obv exceptions.)

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
i think everyone should main marth

but it's prolly just cause he's my favorite character

i love everything about him

SuperRad

Smash Master
Half of the people I talk to say I should switch from sheik to fox/falco/marth/peach and half of the people I talk to say I should stick with sheik until i get better and then switch to another character.

I'm inclined to stick with Sheik for right now because she seems to make the most sense to me and I feel like I should be able to beat the bad people with sheik before I try to "build" a new character from the ground up.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
just stick with whatever character you're most comfortable with.

i'd say stick with sheik until you get pretty good, because it honestly is really easy to switch mains once you get totally comfortable with one character. but that comfort takes a while. but if you'd rather start from scratch with a new character you really really love, then go for it.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
come to socal

who are you going to main? sheik? well, whoever you pick, here's an easy but very important tip: stay on the ground. approaching in the air = bad. (shffls are obv exceptions.)
i always approach falcos with full jump nairs if i'm fox. LOL
and my peach approaches with full jump bairs a lot (when i approach)

but overall that seems to make sense.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
full jumping sucks because everyone has habits coming down from the air. your options are just too limited. the vast majority of people just spam an aerial as they're coming down to protect themselves, which is easily exploitable. the good people just wd back, though that can get you dash attacked. basically there's no need to chase your opponent in the air cause he has to land, and if he doesn't want to get hit, at the least he has to land near the side of the stage where you have total control.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
full jumping sucks because everyone has habits coming down from the air. your options are just too limited. the vast majority of people just spam an aerial as they're coming down to protect themselves, which is easily exploitable. the good people just wd back, though that can get you dash attacked. basically there's no need to chase your opponent in the air cause he has to land, and if he doesn't want to get hit, at the least he has to land near the side of the stage where you have total control.
yeah, i agree for the most part. it's not exactly the worst idea, but i get your point.
but that's why you mix in full jump waveland back, or double jump back to see what they're gonna do. i've seen a lot of sheiks and falcons full jump at you then use their second jump last second and come down with a fair/knee if you reacted to the first jump.

(lawl @ falcon not having a "fair" only knee)

pockyD

Smash Legend
meh, with sheik if you actually want to approach (you often shouldn't), you want your platforms and needle tricks; your shfflc is worthless for approach anyway

and, especially if you intend on doing training on your own, it's by far the most important to choose a character you like

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
see superdad?
you speak up and everyone's willing to help...
now if i asked for help, they'd call me a noob. haha

Miztik

Smash Master
I think shiek is a good choice she is a great character and really quick to learn thats one reason why im switching from marth to shiek, marth is a really complex character and takes alot of talent to use him effectively so i dont think marth would be a good choice, but if you feel confident in your abilities then go for marth is alot of fun

I also agree alot with P you should play who your more comfortable with if you are starting from scratch but i think fox is probably the best character to work on tech skill with,

Naota21t

Smash Champion
if you get great with one character, you'll get good w/ all characters.

and shiek is a fairly basic and straightforward character, so its a pretty good start to get good with her.

Miztik

Smash Master
but at times for some shiek basic and straightforward style of play maybe boring for some so i say use shiek if you really like her or her style but iunno why i see brian as a falcon main...

EazyP

Smash Ace
Brian I can show you the secrets of Bowser if you want or if anyone wants

You know you can always take the train down here when you want, me and the locals would most likely play if we had a spot

God he's bad (not you Brian)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sheik is excellent.

she may be straightforward to learn, but once you start getting really good there is a lot of accuracy and tactical stuff involved that u have to master. like aiming ur fairs against jiggly/falcon or something, or needles on platforms, or edge guarding fast fallers. theres a lot to learn, sheik is very fun

needle cancels and needle turnarounds are too good

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
sheik is excellent.

she may be straightforward to learn, but once you start getting really good there is a lot of accuracy and tactical stuff involved that u have to master. like aiming ur fairs against jiggly/falcon or something, or needles on platforms, or edge guarding fast fallers. theres a lot to learn, sheik is very fun

needle cancels and needle turnarounds are too good
you actually sound like you know what you're talking about...
we should play more so i won't suck. THANKS

p.s. ima pocky fanboy (only on the boards)

Top Bottom