• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

sidefx

Smash Champion
this guy speaks the truth.. USWest channel : hub

or you can go into the real hub where all the cool kids are and set up some matches with us.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
Hunger for power/wealth is one of the driving factors of Maple Story.

It's probably the only reason (wealth) way Myko/TANG still play.

Scrolling is child's gambling. That's always fun though.

It's also nice in the sense you can take time to talk to people and get to know them. BTZO and I have met some cool people will talk to every so often outside of the game (one of those includes BTZO's 12 yr old gf). Even a guy who goes to MIT (lolwtf).

In general, its a game you must have friends to play with. Otherwise its boring and dumb. I personally quit because I got over it, like any other game (which does include Melee). Simple as that. Having Vanessa talk to you for a minute then go afk on you doesn't count either.

pockyD

Smash Legend
why is that considered more fun than a traditional mmorpg that offers pvp as well though?

is it just cuz the graphics cater to a different audience or something (so that you 'meet different people' than you'd meet playing WoW or something)?

i dunno i don't even play mmorpg's so i probably just dont' understand

VANS

Smash Ace
i think cuz.....since theres no pvp it means theres no extreme rivalry between people so u can actually get to talk to them without hostility

sidefx

Smash Champion
only way to properly know someone is after you camp them over and over again for hours on end and **** their faces everytime they rez.

=D no joke, ive met some cool people after ive sat there and camped their **** for hours, or after i start some **** with people and follow them around tagging all their mobs.

everyone should play Age of Conan when it comes out. or SC.

sidefx

Smash Champion
i broke all 3 sets of d2 cd's i had.. and wc3.. id only play TD's if i were to install it again. wintermaul TD's were so fun.. any TD really. well any of the good ones

Miharu

Smash Hero
just out of curiosity anyone still play diablo 2 or frozen throne?
I waste a good portion of my life on DotA nowadays. No ladder for me though.

And I don't mind hostility etc in MMOs due to PvP; it's not as if it prevents you from making friendships anyways. I still keep in touch w/ some of my guildmembers from RO, which I haven't played in about a year now.

pockyD

Smash Legend
lol

i dunno, to me, dota just seems like a super-small-scale version of pvp in an mmorpg

and yeah, i played tons of dota back when it was pretty much on RoC (honestly the introduction of like 100 heroes or whatever it was was a complete turnoff to me) and it was fun for a while, but it got too repetitive playing the first 15 mins over and over again

league play is a bit more fun but i'd still think that true mmorpg pvp is better

Miharu

Smash Hero
lol

i dunno, to me, dota just seems like a super-small-scale version of pvp in an mmorpg

and yeah, i played tons of dota back when it was pretty much on RoC (honestly the introduction of like 100 heroes or whatever it was was a complete turnoff to me) and it was fun for a while, but it got too repetitive playing the first 15 mins over and over again

league play is a bit more fun but i'd still think that true mmorpg pvp is better
wtf? it's nowhere near an MMO PvP situation

In an MMO you're allowed to rice for whatever gear you want for days on end (essentially unlimited both time and resources-wise), and you can then bring that to the table. In DotA, everyone is given a limited amount of time and a finite amount of gold to work with (ie limited amount of both enemy and neutral creeps). Also, in league-level 5v5 games, teamwork matters, and is arguably the most important aspect of DotA. Don't think there are many games out there that require better teamwork/synergy than DotA does.

w/e, comes down to personal preference. just don't judge DotA off your everyday terribad pubs if you're going to talk about the competitive aspect etc.

tbh I don't even bother comparing MMOs to a game like DotA. RTS is completely different as well, and requires a different set of skills to excelt at than what it takes to excel at DotA. And no, DotA isn't for those "who can't micro/are bad at ladder." There's a reason you can't take your SC/WC3 ladder player, stick them into a DotA game, and have them dominate. Even if you give them months or maybe even years, they probably still won't be able to stack up against VP/MYM/SK and other top teams for the above reasons.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
i always thought of DotA as pretty much a WoW raid in like 25 minutes
but then again i never actually played it but its something im looking into

Naota21t

Smash Champion
just out of curiosity anyone still play diablo 2 or frozen throne?
I was addicted to that game. Like even more so then Maple. I played it religiously, and had some ridiculous characters. A Dueling Barb, a Ice Mage, a dueling Fire Mage, a dueling Bonermancer (lols), a Summoner, a Hammerdin, a dueling Bowzon, and most importantly... I had like one of the most epic Smiters in Ladder West when I played. I never lost a best of 5 set to anyone with my smiter (save for another smiter lol).

I had a perfect grief, eth exile, double ber'd coa, perfect mara's.

Seriously, i wanted to cry when my smiter got hacked.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
why is that considered more fun than a traditional mmorpg that offers pvp as well though?

is it just cuz the graphics cater to a different audience or something (so that you 'meet different people' than you'd meet playing WoW or something)?

i dunno i don't even play mmorpg's so i probably just dont' understand
In Maple Story's case, yeah. It's a 2D Asian game with chibi characters, so it screams for teenage Asians (and weeaboos) to play it.

People like competition, and Maple Story isn't a game about competition, and thus won't like playing it much. Saying a game is more fun is just a matter of preference. Simple as that.

I've never like the controls of traditional 3d MMORPGs. The only one I really played was PSO BlueBurst when it was on free beta testing.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Maplestory can be competitive if you're trying to out level someone or have better equips so there is that. Basically it's fun cuz of the people you meet, random events you can do on there, it's free, and everyone isn't an annoying 2x year old white person.:)

BTZO is now babybiteezio i think lol

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace

www.playrohan.com

Join me at this new MMORPG ^^ Open beta comes out May15th or before ^^.

Features?

Township War: Guilds fight over a town... Winner gets rights over the town and can regulate taxes so that whenever people pay the tax, the tax money goes to the guild storage.

PVP: All maps are PVP, however there is a penalty for PKing someone. You also gain exp and drops when you kill someone. Drops are w/e the person had in his inventory but not the things he is wearing.

Revenge System: Let say u just got killed while trying to kill a mob. Some *******S killed u on the spot and u want revenge but he might be TOO high lvled. WELL fear NOT!!! With this system you may either teleport yourself to the person EXACTLY where he is at to kill him... OR u may make up a party of friends and KILL HIM TOGETHER. Yes this system will teleport you to where the person who killed you is currently at ^^.

Classes? and and job change
Human: warrior which are a classic xD
- Guardian
- Defender

Elves: healers basically
- I forgot what there called...

Half-Elves: Archers
- Rogue
- Scout

Dark Elves: Magic users basically
- forgot what there called

Dhan: Assassin class ^^
- Forgot what there called

Dekan: Dragon fighter classes * im going to be one * Can turn into dragons at lvl 54
- Dragon Sage : Support dragon fighter with party buff and aoe attacks
- Dragon knight: Dmg dealers mostly for two hand.

Armor Crafting:
Example 1: Lets say you have a lvl 5 armor with like +3 strength and a lvl 5 armor with +3 dexterity? You can combine Stats to together to make a lvl 5 armor with +3 strength and dexterity.

Example 2: You can pay money at the crafter to delvl equipment. Let say I have a lvl 50 armor. I can pay money at the craftman to delvl the level requirement to 49 and e.t.c.

Example 3: I craft a lvl 1 Helmet and lvl 5 helmet and it creates a lvl 14 Helmet

Guilds:
1023 members in one guild ... Imagine the wars...
Guild township war
Dungeons e.t.c.

READ UP ON THIS GAME ON THE FORUMS ^^ Sorry I couldnt provide all the info since im just saying stuff off the top of my head xD.

YES THIS GAME IS FREE TO PLAY AND IT RAPESS MAPLE STORY ^^.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
I don't know about ****** Maple... but it does indeed sound quite intriguing.]

I'll definitely give it a shot. Probably as a mage, or some kinda buffer.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
Maplestory can be competitive if you're trying to out level someone or have better equips so there is that. Basically it's fun cuz of the people you meet, random events you can do on there, it's free, and everyone isn't an annoying 2x year old white person.:)

BTZO is now babybiteezio i think lol
Then you have someone like Mr FireMan409 who buys 2x exp for a year and you're like f*** it

Bolded part: Yeah I like being able to play games w/ Asian girls as well ;D

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
I forgot to mention that from what i've read on Rohan forum the Cash shop item dont really overpower u AT ALL. Which is a good thing ^^ so it would rely on ur skills xD.

Anyways I guess it wouldnt **** Maple story.

-Of course there is the excuse saying that its competitive in lvling but what mmorpg game isnt? -No Pvp is kinda lame in maple story as well but i guess it would seem broken for some classes
-Events and such are nice in maple but other free MMO's do that as well.

To be honest... most free mmo's have about the same features as maple story except its not 2D or there is more to offer. I think it really depends on what you like and what style u like. Maple story isnt my style cause there isnt a whole lot you can do and the fact that its a side scroller.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
To be honest, when I really think about it hard, I don't understand AT ALL why I like Maple Story.

I mean, it is pretty standard for and MMO and likes Falcomist said, there are TONS of other MMOs that are better (I'm not even going to mention runescape, cuz I HATE RUNESCAPE).
Maple isn't super competitive anymore (since ppl are reaching 200, and the 2x exp card ****ing killed it for me). It definitely is fun to just go on and talk to people and just mess around (or ks a bunch of noobs with a 3rd job main). And now a days it hard to find active people to always play with, since if you're brand new a lot of people that you meet will be on characters that aren't their mains, so they won't be online much, though I guess you could join a guild to make up for that.

I guess the reason I keep playing MS is because I just want my character to get better and to reach that **** 4th job at lvl 120.

Oh that and.... Maple Story is a GREAT time killer.

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
To be honest, when I really think about it hard, I don't understand AT ALL why I like Maple Story.

I mean, it is pretty standard for and MMO and likes Falcomist said, there are TONS of other MMOs that are better (I'm not even going to mention runescape, cuz I HATE RUNESCAPE).
Maple isn't super competitive anymore (since ppl are reaching 200, and the 2x exp card ****ing killed it for me). It definitely is fun to just go on and talk to people and just mess around (or ks a bunch of noobs with a 3rd job main). And now a days it hard to find active people to always play with, since if you're brand new a lot of people that you meet will be on characters that aren't their mains, so they won't be online much, though I guess you could join a guild to make up for that.

I guess the reason I keep playing MS is because I just want my character to get better and to reach that **** 4th job at lvl 120.

Oh that and.... Maple Story is a GREAT time killer.
LOL all mmorpg are time killers ^^.

Also I agree that playing mmorpg's to talk to people is a good social community ^^ maybe that one reason why people like Maple story. Also 2x exp card? LOL that totally sucks...

Also all mmorpg we all wanna get better at the game ^^ all it depends on is the style of mmorpg that you like.

But yea argument finished ^^ and try Rohan if people are interested ^^.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if you want to smash today or tomorrow, you can have it :)

oh and falcomist (or luis) do you guys know any good chinese restaurants in the area (more traditionalish, not like pf chang's or those types of places) nearby? my parents are coming in later this week and i assume they want to eat that stuff

edit: not like a big fancy restaurant either lol

i either suck at explaining or i suck at understanding myself, but something like $10 a person, more or less

Naota21t

Smash Champion
I know A TON! Of chinese restaurants. Uhh let me think of some and I'll get back to you.

BTW, do they have any preference to a certain type of chinese food? You know, like canto, shanghai, etc.

pockyD

Smash Legend
well they're (we're? i guess) taiwanese so that kind of stuff

i know i saw a tiny haka place (that's like native taiwanese) downtown; is that place any good?

edit: downtown = downtown san mateo

Naota21t

Smash Champion
lol yea i know what you're talking about.

that place is pretty decent, i've gone there once with a date. I personally thought it was pretty good. Place looks cool too. lol

oh btw theres a place thats pretty good, about uhh less then a mile from downtown. Just go down 4th til you go over the overpass and go down norfolk. It's like at lil minimall kinda place to your right, at the far end.

it's got some BOMBIN' lemon chicken.

sidefx

Smash Champion
i wanna go meatfest..

LOL that made me laugh haaaaaaa hahahalol you could go if you want, just gotta know soon cause were doing reservations soon, ( later this week i think) 45 a person at the door before tax and tip and ****ts so like around 60ish a person i guess.

MEATFEST 2008

pockyD

Smash Legend
and just to reiterate, once we make the reservation, you are committed; even if you don't go, you will have to pay us $50 ( because we will have to pay the restaurant :( ; though probably not for tip)

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
ive played a lot of MMOs.

ive played them since elementry school, in the first 3d MMO ever made, meridian 59. i believe ultima online was the only MMO made before M59.

then i played some evercrack. that game ruined my life for a while, i dont think ive ever hated a game so much that i still played every **** day.

dark age of camelot came after. the shining jewel. best PVP of any mmo to ever be made, though supposedly WoW is gong to try and challenge that with the next expansion pack. i came back to DAoC like 3 times, and had tons of fun every time. after a while, pve became so easy you could level to 50 in a couple days, because its just PVP now.

then i played ragnarok, worst mmo ever.

then i played shadowbane, probably the biggest game dissapointment of my life. that game had soooo much potential yet was such a weak game, apparently the expansion fixed a lot of problems but the communnity was dead.

then i played FF11, and it didnt work out so well for me. too many people didnt speak english, it was too much like everquest, and it had some compatability issue with my computer so i gave it up

i played maple story for a couple weeks, yeah ive already said how i feel about gaypeoplestory.

im currently playing a (open beta) free MMO called shaiya. it seems pretty much the same thing as the one falcomist described. it looks a lot like WoW, and seems to be about half way between world of warcraft and dark age of camelot. if anyones interested in that let me know.

oh yeah and i still play dota. and once in a blue moon D2 when certain friends are over who bring their laptops.

Top Bottom