• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
Note: 95% of brawl haters main Falco/Fox in Melee. 2 of the remaining 5% play Shiek. The other 3% is eveyone else who doesnt like it.

PS I'm probably not going to this one, mainly because I need to go home and attend to some things, but it's also ok since I'd rather not witness the stupidity of Brawl vs. Melee arguments.

MyKo

Smash Lord
You Probably Can Tell After IP Tracking Me.
dude brawl is tight...everyones a winner
SUCK

MY

BRAWLS

LOPKLOPKOP
LO{
KO
KO{
KO{
KO{
KOP
KL
L
L
L{
KLO
K OP
!$K OP
$ KL!O
:$LO K$L !

The only thing i've been doing recently is playing

M
E
L
E
E

I dont even care if it's not going to be in tourneys or not or discontinued.

Ima play it until everyone realizes it's time to get back into the game.

GG AND EVERYONE VOTE FOR DBR video on MLG video showcase area.

Listen to SFXXX :p

sidefx

Smash Champion
hey guys, you should all go and vote for our video that is up on MLGpro.com

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165055 thats the thread with all the drama if you want to see what happened and how MLG ****ing sucks

and this is the link that you can vote for us at . http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166641

you have to register as well, but it only takes a split second. every vote counts as of now, cause we have a couple people trailing us and catching up to us quick. so watch the videos and vote for which ever you feel deserves it, but vote for us really..

haha. ok im done.

sidefx

Smash Champion
what is the point of melee doubles? i mean about 85% of the people going are going for brawl anyways.. so brawl and brawl teams should take priority, and have melee singles last. thats what i think should happen.. cause sheridan said so

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
umm sidefx, nope. its about 50/50. brawl isnt fun to watch, melee is. that right there is super significant.

i agree pretty much with most of the things you say sheridan, but im not dropping melee events.

talk to me on AIM if you want to try to work something out though. whitewashedninja

um i actually really disagree with whoever said 95% of brawl haters play fox or falco. i dont, and almost none of my non competitive smasher friends who hate brawl play fox or falco as a main

sidefx

Smash Champion
i have a question.. whos going to be running this? cause if its you whiteboyninja, youre not experienced enough to finish every **** event in one day without wasting my time. and i also find it unfair if you expect to just open the doors and rely on someone else that is attending this tournament to run the tournament for you. melee is fun and all, but right now brawl is more in favor.. but whats the point of arguing that.. we'll see on saturday when there are more brawl players signed up than melee.

and when have you been to a brawl tournament? i havent seen you at any brawl tournament.. so where do you get this conclusion from?

oh and also, from what i hear, all you did was msg zhu and ask him what he wanted, and he responded melee.. and decided right then and there that it should be melee no matter what.. even if more than half of the attendance is going to be for brawl anyways..

pockyD

Smash Legend
brawl isn't fun to watch =[

on the other hand, very few people are interested in watching melee at this point when they could be PLAYING brawl instead

i know i'm not all about driving an hour just to watch a few melee matches

The GERM

Smash Ace
hey guys, you should all go and vote for our video that is up on MLGpro.com

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165055 thats the thread with all the drama if you want to see what happened and how MLG ****ing sucks

and this is the link that you can vote for us at . http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166641

you have to register as well, but it only takes a split second. every vote counts as of now, cause we have a couple people trailing us and catching up to us quick. so watch the videos and vote for which ever you feel deserves it, but vote for us really..

haha. ok im done.
Fo real bit**es, this is bigger than just money. A lot of people out there are thinking that the 5 videos selected are a demonstration of the pinnacle of gameplay that brawl has reached so far. This cannot and will not happen. As a crew, we've always been dedicated to showing the highest level of gameplay for the moment to attract more people into the game, as well as to gain respect for a game that's highly considered a party/non-competitive game. With that said, please do the community a huge favor and vote for the video that you think shows highest level of talent as far as brawl goes. If you think another video shows more skill then ours, vote for that one.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
you heard wrong boback, i IMed 10 or 15 people about what they play, what they prefer, and such.
it was about 40/40/20 for melee/brawl/love both.

theres still some sort of misconception running around that for some reason no matter how often i say it, people dont seem to understand.

THIS IS A MELEE TOURNEY!!!!!!!
i am NOT interested in hosting brawl tourneys, because i have limited fun playing brawl, and i do NOT at all enjoy watching brawl being played (where half the fun of the biweeklies for me was watching the good people playing their matches).

i am ALLOWING brawl events because a select few (pretty much boback, sheridan, and zoap) have put a lot of pressure on me to do so. in fact, a majority of the community doesnt even really care so much which is played to my experience, just so long as we have regular things.

but the more pressure from people who want to come to my melee tourney and not touch the game melee i get, the less i want to host these. not out of spite, i still consider a lot of you my friends and such, but simply out of not wanting these to slowly phase out the melee aspect.

i am perfectly fine with brawl being played, i dont exactly mind the thought of having one half of the room on brawl and the other half on melee. so long as i get to play melee and enough people show up to play with me and people enter and such, its cool. i'll probably even play a bit of brawl because its fun short term. you guys just dont seem to be thinking about this from my perspective though.

i really really want these to happen, so im not just going to be immature and cancel this over something as stupid as different preferences in games, so heres what i really hope to see happen.

from now on, can we not just assume that a majority of the people coming prefer brawl? because i really dont see any evidence of this. if the first event happens and its really looking like nor cal just isnt so interested in melee anymore, THEN we can talk. but if i can still hold together reasonable melee tourneys, and still have brawl events at them, wouldnt that actually satisfy the most people?

unfortunatly i dont have the time to scan through this for errors or poorly worded things that may sound mean or whatever, so please dont flame me for seeming upset. im not upset, just a little frustrated.

sidefx

Smash Champion
since when have i ever f'ing talked to you about your f'ing biweekly? this is the first time i even posted on the subject, and now youre accusing me of PRESSURING you into brawl? go *** yourself. i could care less if you have melee or brawl, the fact of the matter is that youre basing the potential of "fun" and watching brawl matches on your pathetic neighborhood matches with random scrubs including yourself.

tournaments arent for whether or not you like to f'ing watch them or not. its a tournament, designed to see who is best, not to see how fun it could be for attendees to watch. yeah its fun to watch finals for brawl, i like it better than melee, but thats my opinion.

and id like to know who you messaged about this as well, because its interesting that i havent even heard from anyone i know that got a message from you about this.

so get your head out of your *** if you think the majority of the people in the bay area like melee.. its actually quite the opposite if you even care to think of what others are saying outside of your neighborhood/sjsu.

the only reason im coming to this is to win teams with sheridan, (Team METAGAME ftw) and to gain exposure for brawl, other wise id prefer not to go cause of you mainly, and your narrow minded views.

pockyD

Smash Legend
remember, if tournaments don't finish, you satisfy NO ONE

don't bite off more than you can chew (which is to say, don't promise 4 events in 10 hours)

sidefx

Smash Champion
that too.. if it seriously comes down to having to cut ANY of the events short due to time, then expect me, and a WHOLE lot of people not to attend any further sjsu events.. SFSU is already having time issues, due to what pocky said

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
since when have i ever f'ing talked to you about your f'ing biweekly? this is the first time i even posted on the subject, and now youre accusing me of PRESSURING you into brawl? go *** yourself. i could care less if you have melee or brawl, the fact of the matter is that youre basing the potential of "fun" and watching brawl matches on your pathetic neighborhood matches with random scrubs including yourself.
Emotional responses like this is why no one wants to talk about Melee v Brawl, and why ninja has so much finality whenever he's talking about Melee. Stop killing any chance of any sort of productivity; seriously, if I was ninja, I would've happily gave in to my spite (who doesn't love spite?) and just called the whole thing off.

I kind of doubt he really cares about your pseudo threats ("if it seriously comes down to having to cut ANY of the events short due to time, then expect me, and a WHOLE lot of people not to attend any further sjsu events."). He's doing it for himself No. 1, something more TOs should do, really.

BTW, the only reason Brawl gets so many more attendees than Melee is because so many old Melee players play Brawl just because social norms dictate that if you want to go to tournaments.

Miztik

Smash Master
I dont know if you guys care but i believe this will be fine will both events....brawl and melee are both very fun games....but i must agree as of now brawl is more popular and if you want a bigger turnout it should be more advertised as a brawl tourney with melee as a side thing....

sidefx

Smash Champion
oh look its neighboorhoodP pac wests biggest forum troll.

anyways, the "pseudo threats" you were talking about are reality. if you even lived in norcal, you would know that the last 2 events held at SFSU were called off mid tournament due to time constraints. all i was saying was that since this one has 4 f'ing events.. time would be of utmost importance. We barely got singles and teams done for melee when we had the SJSU biweeklies running, and now you want 4 events to be done in a single day? i seriously doubt this could even happen (depending on how many people enter for melee) and if you do succeed more power to you. and when you say TO, i could almost GUARANTEE that whiteboyninja does not have the know how to run a tournament with 4 events smoothly, let alone a normal one with singles/teams only.

and i completely disagree with your last statement.. i dont know about where you live.. but the people who play brawl up here in norcal, play it because we like it, not because its the "social norm", we genuinely like it. i could care less about the brawl vs melee debate, and i wasnt even getting to that in the first place, so stop putting words in my mouth. I was simply comparing the turn out of the two if we were to have both at the same event. and like i said, the majority would be brawl.

i dont care if you have it all melee, and i dont care if you have only brawl, or both.. all im concerned with is if you can even run the **** thing, on time, in an orderly fashion, and without any delays/wasting time.

i dont see this thing ending before 1 am.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I'm calling them pseudo threats because HE doesn't give a ****, not that I'm saying it's not gonna happen. Um, duh that would happen if he had to cancel events? It's stating the obvious, and in the context in which you stated it, it's a pseudo-menacing tone. Not my fault you're not conscious of how you're coming across.

Edit: Reading the rest of your post, I shouldn't of bothered responding.

Ninja, if you get some successful Melee turnouts, I'll be glad to head up to NorCal for one down the road =)

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
umm sidefx, nope. its about 50/50.
Are you going to post that you were wrong when you see the attendance on Saturday? SFSU got 50+ for BRAWL on Saturday. When was the last time NCB got that many for MELEE? Not to mention that SFSU's in general have had less attendance.

There is just no evidence that suggests that the Melee attendance will match the Brawl attendance. If you disagree feel free to link me to a Norcal Melee tourney in the last 2 months with comparable attendance.

brawl isnt fun to watch, melee is. that right there is super significant.
1: Subjectivity alert.
2: We all know that everyone at NCB's watches the finals instead of playing friendlies. Oh wait it's the other way around.
3: Clearly, what people want to WATCH is also the most important criterion for deciding which events to have, and not, you know, what people want to PLAY.
Give me a break.

Let's get something straight. You're the host. What you say goes, and people should realize that. But you're not the TO, so when you post schedules like that, you're kind of overstepping your expertise.

YOU have to make it clear what the TO's are allowed to do at the tourney in terms of TV setups, what tourneys can be held, etc.

you heard wrong boback, i IMed 10 or 15 people about what they play, what they prefer, and such.
it was about 40/40/20 for melee/brawl/love both.
I'm sure your sample of people was representative of the community and free of selection bias. Anecdotal evidence is invalid.

THIS IS A MELEE TOURNEY!!!!!!!
i am NOT interested in hosting brawl tourneys, because i have limited fun playing brawl, and i do NOT at all enjoy watching brawl being played (where half the fun of the biweeklies for me was watching the good people playing their matches).
As much as it frustrates me, I think people need to consider that Nick is the host and he has the final say. I mean you don't go into every other thread and demand a Melee tourney should be Brawl or vice versa right?

The only difference is that Nick is the host, not the TO. Therefore he is beholden to whomever shows up to run the events in question.

The real gripe I have is that these are being called Norcal biweeklies, when it's far from evident that this is what the Norcal Smash scene desires. Nick you've said it yourself that this is Melee because YOU don't like Brawl and YOU don't have fun watching it. So I take issue with using the NCB name, when in the past, the NCB host (Kizzo) let the events be up to the TO's and the people that showed up to play.

If you want these events to be your own Melee clubhouse, then fine, you're the host and you can do what you want. But don't pretend that they aren't and then only have Brawl events to try to make everyone happy (which is always in vain).

i am ALLOWING brawl events because a select few (pretty much boback, sheridan, and zoap) have put a lot of pressure on me to do so. in fact, a majority of the community doesnt even really care so much which is played to my experience, just so long as we have regular things.
Show me where I "put pressure on you." I think I've even said before that you can do what you want because it's 'your' venue (or at least you're responsible for it). I HAVE said that I'm not going to show up to run a Melee tournament, and almost every other TO that has ever come to an NCB feels the same way.

from now on, can we not just assume that a majority of the people coming prefer brawl? because i really dont see any evidence of this.
See my first paragraphs. But the only way to know for sure will be to hold the biweekly (which will actually artificially inflate the Melee numbers if you hold Brawl btw, because you will get incidental Melee players from people who show up for Brawl, whereas Brawl is less likely to get incidental players from Melee attendees).

if the first event happens and its really looking like nor cal just isnt so interested in melee anymore, THEN we can talk. but if i can still hold together reasonable melee tourneys, and still have brawl events at them, wouldnt that actually satisfy the most people?
Do what you want.

BTW, the only reason Brawl gets so many more attendees than Melee is because so many old Melee players play Brawl just because social norms dictate that if you want to go to tournaments.
Even if that were true it doesn't change the fact that Brawl demand is higher as evidenced by turnout numbers in both Socal and Norcal.

I shouldn't of bothered responding.
OOPS LOL

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
I'm calling them pseudo threats because HE doesn't give a ****, not that I'm saying it's not gonna happen. Um, duh that would happen if he had to cancel events? It's stating the obvious, and in the context in which you stated it, it's a pseudo-menacing tone. Not my fault you're not conscious of how you're coming across.
Emotional responses like this is why no one wants to talk top neighborhoodP, and his trolling has so much finality whenever he's trolling about Melee. Stop killing any chance of any sort of productivity; seriously, if I was NeighborhoodP, I would've happily gave in to my spite (who doesn't love spite?) and just called the whole thing off.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
I wonder why someone that doesnt want to discuss Brawl V Melee and thinks its dumb , somehow comes into every thread that mentions it and flames those who support the other game, even when its not his business.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Well for some reason I did take the time to read all the posts, and basically I'm not taking a side. I think we should use this biweekly to determine which game we decide to use in the future. It's not going to be the most fun biweekly we've had or anything, but I was always very lenient with people being late/not playing their matches right away/playing friendlies before or after their match. You guys know Sheridan doesn't put up with that though, and I won't either considering the amount of events we are having. So let's see how it goes, and just be glad you aren't one of us TO's having to make it work.:)

sidefx

Smash Champion
cause he craves attention, and after he reads all of this, he'll quote one of us, and respond in a neighboorhoodP fashion and try to make you look stupid.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
Well for some reason I did take the time to read all the posts, and basically I'm not taking a side. I think we should use this biweekly to determine which game we decide to use in the future. It's not going to be the most fun biweekly we've had or anything, but I was always very lenient with people being late/not playing their matches right away/playing friendlies before or after their match. You guys know Sheridan doesn't put up with that though, and I won't either considering the amount of events we are having. So let's see how it goes, and just be glad you aren't one of us TO's having to make it work.:)
Well from what Nick has been saying, if the main focus is on Brawl, it'll be quite likely he wont spend the time to host it at all, thus its Melee or nothing, which is dumb, but we cant force him to host if he chooses not to.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I wonder why someone that doesnt want to discuss Brawl V Melee and thinks its dumb , somehow comes into every thread that mentions it and flames those who support the other game, even when its not his business.
I love it when one brave soul stands up, is terribly off-base, and other similarly misguided brave souls stand behind him, cheering him on.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
well i no longer see any good options for myself. i dont want to host anything anymore, but it seems like no matter where i go im gonna end up the bad guy here.

if i just throw in the towel and say screw it im done, then im going to look really immature especially considering how i already said i dont want to do that. and i wont get to play with the people i want to play with.

if i host this and everyone treats me like how they have been recently, im gonna just want to go home. honestly this is all just destroying my will to smash, melee or otherwise.

so seriously, what do you guys want of me? you want me to cancel my melee events and just have brawl events? i've seen more than a few people posting that they are glad to see melee. people will be unhappy about that. not to mention myself who will be bored quickly and will probably end up being like kballs at a melee tourney.

people are blasting me for compromising saying, "alright if you want to host a brawl event, thats fine with me". zoap was the one who told me he can host both brawl and melee at the same time, and i just sorta said alright if thats what you want to do, i'll be fine with it.

its interesting how no one seems to be portraying me as the one trying to give as many people what they want while still being something i want to do.

im really not going to touch on boback's posts because i know he already doesnt like me as it is. except for the fact that you said i was asking people at sjsu/my neighborhood. my "neighborhood" plays more brawl than melee. i DIDNT ask them because i already know. sjsu only has me and yen as serious players because neither kizzo nor mike play much if at all anymore. the other guys play the game and may be interested in competition but traditionally havnt competed. the people i did talk to were like lunin, SS, zhu, nemesis, myko, ian, BTZO, zoap, theres a pretty even spread here.

but i digress. i really dont want to be the bad guy there, im not trying to exert power over anyone. i just wanna play melee, and as people have stated, i really havnt played my hand much at TOing so i asked zoap and sheridan and BTZO if they would be willing to do so. zoap and sheridan said only if theres brawl events so i said ok, if you can fit one in by all means.

im really not being unfair in saying that i dont particularly enjoy brawl, and if they were brawl tourneys alone, i wouldnt even show up simply out of lack of interest, so i dont understand why people think its unfair that i wouldnt host it.

please stop sandblasting my posts. i really cant stand it. instead of swearing at me for simply mentioning your name in my post or claiming my opinions are invalid because they're subjective (i did say that i was the one who enjoyed watching the games, unless im mistaken i didnt pin that on anyone else), how about you suggest to me what YOU propose we do. if my schedule doesnt work, instead of saying that everything i say is wrong, suggest something that WILL work. as i stated before, i based my scheduling on what zoap told me.

so can we work this out, or do i really have to step down from the NCB?

sidefx

Smash Champion
i told you neighborhoodP would quote someone and respond with something trying to be witty, im gonna wait till he does it again then post this over again

Top Bottom