• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Zoap

Smash Master
it better be the 27th i dont think i can go to sac so im hella counting on this. We all know who is gonna win crews anyways, BPS thats right LOL. But crew battles would be fun since me snap and kawn will all be there, if its 24 stock we each get 8 we will take on every city and area and finally cap it off by beating DBR into submission ;) .

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
I'll be in Sac on the 20th, but it'll be for a Guilty Gear tourney and not the Sac Biweekly.

As for the 27th, it's be mad hot if we could have the projector set up and ready to go instead of having to kick everyone out and take 30 minutes to set it up only to watch SS beat on people. Check it for me, I bet if we could fold those tables up or move them we'd have lots more room.

But yeah, let's get this planned out right.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Speaking of that, I was thinking about our rules, and they don't make sense. As far as I know we've said that we do "MLG rules" which is not necessarily true. As Hyuga has stated before (I don't remember if it was on SWF or not), we do not do 3/5 matches, as MLG does, and we allow the same stage to be played on twice if the person selecting it did not previously win on that stage before, also unlike MLG. I think we should do a "modified version" of MLG's rules, which I have already thought up (it's not too complicated XD) so yeah, opinions? xP

Delphiki

Smash Champion
At Sac, I allow people to do the same stage over again only if the players agree on it. If both players don't mind, I see no reason to force them to play somewhere else. Call it "Delf's Stupid Rule." lol

The biggest problem I have had with rules in tournaments is when the rules aren't set correctly, and people do the matches anyway. The two rules I have the most trouble with are getting the correct neutral stages and the time limit. People rarely check the rules before they begin, and I've had players on multiple occasions say a match needed to be restarted because the time wasn't on. :urg:

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
At Sac, I allow people to do the same stage over again only if the players agree on it. If both players don't mind, I see no reason to force them to play somewhere else. Call it "Delf's Stupid Rule." lol

The biggest problem I have had with rules in tournaments is when the rules aren't set correctly, and people do the matches anyway. The two rules I have the most trouble with are getting the correct neutral stages and the time limit. People rarely check the rules before they begin, and I've had players on multiple occasions say a match needed to be restarted because the time wasn't on. :urg:
Yeah, that's a pretty standard rule but I prefer not to use it, as it creates matches which are harmful to the set, which creates either people stating that it "isn't even a legal stage, so it shouldn't count" or it can be harmful to the rankings because it's hard to gauge matches on say Brinstar Depths, although what occurs during the set cannot be a factor in the rankings though, we do not know what could've happened so I try to prevent any controversy of what "would have happened."

Well personally I check the rules on the cubes before the matches are played, or I ask the players to check if the rules are set to avoid situations like that ;P.

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
I'll be in Sac on the 20th, but it'll be for a Guilty Gear tourney and not the Sac Biweekly.

As for the 27th, it's be mad hot if we could have the projector set up and ready to go instead of having to kick everyone out and take 30 minutes to set it up only to watch SS beat on people. Check it for me, I bet if we could fold those tables up or move them we'd have lots more room.

sigh... thx Scamp for reminding me haha.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
Speaking of that, I was thinking about our rules, and they don't make sense. As far as I know we've said that we do "MLG rules" which is not necessarily true. As Hyuga has stated before (I don't remember if it was on SWF or not), we do not do 3/5 matches, as MLG does
Tournament Rules

1. The Singles and 2v2 Brackets will be Double Elimination.
2. The Losers Bracket will have mixed placement to avoid players being eliminated by the same opponent that beat them in the Winner�??s Bracket.
3. All matches are best of 3 except for the Finals (best of 5).
4. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
5. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
6. Items will be turned off.
---------------------------------------------------

Mlg rules are best of 3 except for finals aren't they?... I could never find the rules on the site. I think the rules for picking stages and banning stages should change... both players are allowed one reset, and stages can only be banned after first round... that way, its fair for everyone... and stages can't be banned first round amongst the usual crowd. Seems fair to me.

I also thought we didn't allow 2 of the same stages either O_o... im confused.

Zoap

Smash Master
Zoaps view on Rules

As many have stated b4 though we use mlg rules modified. Whether we specify these modifications makes no matter :) . Also Nemesis the new rules are 3/5 ill have to see if i can drag up the rules

BIG HUGE EDIT: so i read what Btzo said and i agree we should get all the rules straight. Ill start by putting all the MLG rules then putting my mods, so you guys can see what you think, also i will put my comments or changes in a bright color prob yellow or lime green followed by my revised rules, or at least what i think we should use

Please read Mlg's version b4 going to mine and complaining about my opinion

I ll start wit the stages mlg allows for dbls and singles

The top of a box represents Singles, the bottom of a box represents Doubles.
Red means banned
Yellow means able to be counter-picked
Green means neutral (on random)
I borrowed the image from Alphazealot

Right off Mlg Website

Super Smash Brothers Melee

General Rules and Regulations
1. During Championship Bracket competitions, all players must register a 1-4 digit tag. If they wish to wear a tag during the game they must use their registered tag, otherwise they may not use one.
2. During scheduled warm-up periods the winner stays and the loser must get up.
3. If a player or team doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 5 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit.
4. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
5. A staff member will record each game's results so no reporting of scores by players is necessary.
6. All decisions made by tournament officials are final.
7. Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion.
8. Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing. Breaking this rule will result in a warning. A second violation will result in ejection of the spectator and forfeit of the game.
9. Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the rankings/brackets will result in ejection and possible suspension from future tournaments.
10. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.
11. Players must report to their station immediately after their match is announced. If after 5 minutes, a player/team has not reported to their station they will forfeit the match.

Controllers

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Open Competitions

1. The Open Singles competition will start with Pool Play. All players with rank points will be separated into the pools. All remaining players will be randomly separated into the pools. The top 2 players from each pool will advance to the Open Singles bracket.
2. The Open Singles will be a Best of 3 Game Series, Double Elimination Bracket. When 16 players remain (8 Winners Bracket & 8 Losers Bracket), the Open Singles will end and each player will earn a spot in the Championship Singles.
3. Players will be seeded for the bracket based first on their pool play performance. Ties will be broken first by Singles rank points, then by performance at the most recent event, and then by Doubles rank points.
4. The Open Doubles competition will consist of Pool Play only. All teams with rank points will be separated into the pools. All remaining teams will be randomly separated into the pools.
5. Each player/team will play 2 games against all other players/teams in their pool. Scores will be recorded and used to rank players for the Elimination Bracket. Any ties for advancing positions will be broken by a single tiebreaker game.
6. For each game of a pool play match, the stage will be selected at random from the list of Random Select stages. Each player can eliminate 1 stage from the list of possibilities.
7. The Open Singles bracket will be a best of 3 games series, double elimination bracket.
8. After losing a series, teams will fall into the Losers Bracket.
9. A loss in the Losers Bracket will result in elimination from the competition.
10. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
11. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
12. Items will be turned off.

Championship Competitions
1. The Championship Singles and Doubles brackets will be best of 5 games series, double elimination brackets.
2. Players/teams eliminated via round 5 or 6 of the Losers Bracket will play 1 match to determine their exact 5th-8th placement.
3. Players/teams will be seeded for their brackets based on MLG rank points.
5. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.

Stage & Character Selection
1. The higher seed has first choice for their seat(s) and controller port(s). The higher seeded team has first choice for their team color. Teams must sit together on one side or the other. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, the winner of the 1st series will have seat and controller choice.
2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can't be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick.
3. Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
4. Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64
5. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
6. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2
7. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City
8. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.
9. No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series. The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a best of 11 series.
10. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.
11. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
12. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.
13. During Championship Bracket competitions, players may ask for a double-blind pick during games four and five of a series. Players must call for the pick after the loser of the previous game has chosen the next game's stage.
14. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 11, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Player A beat Player B 3 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and Player leading 3 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series and players may call for a double-blind pick before any game throughout the best of 11.
15. If the players/teams meeting in the Championship Match have not yet faced each other in a series and the team coming from the Losers Bracket wins first series, another series must be played to break the tie since both players/teams would only have one series loss.

Other Rules & Special Issues

1. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
4. Players/teams may designate a coach when they register for a competition, however, this coach may not be registered as a player for either a Singles or Doubles competition. Coaches may not instruct players during games, but may consult with players for a maximum of 1 minute between games. Once the stage for the next game has been selected, players may not talk to their coach.
5. For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON
6. For Doubles matches, life stealing is allowed

Ok lets start with section one:

1. I dont agree with that tag idea and i dont think its a problem. Some ppl prefer to not use a tag, and other like to alter there tags so no worrys here
2. we dont have warmups besides friendlies and there is nothing wrong with it as most ppl when they ask to get in can
3. If a player or team doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 5 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit. THIS SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED
4. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.This rule leave up some questions, like Snap once asked me if the games crashes as a char is in the background about to die and end the match when power fails should the person really have to redo the whole match. My opinion is if it is a game deciding thing then reset otherwise let it continue from where it left off
5. We trust our players so no worries here
6. All decisions made by tournament officials are final. I agree
7. We never have problems with stuff like this but I agree if there is something major that happens
8. Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing. Breaking this rule will result in a warning. A second violation will result in ejection of the spectator and forfeit of the game. This I don't agree with entirely, I like to be able to talk to Snap and such, I on the otherhand completely understand if someone is being a *******
9. Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the rankings/brackets will result in ejection and possible suspension from future tournaments. Cant be helped and not like it matters anyways
10. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game. Agree
11. Players must report to their station immediately after their match is announced. If after 5 minutes, a player/team has not reported to their station they will forfeit the match. This is the same as before and my responce remains the same

Alright next is Controllers:

Controllers

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller. Agreed and not a problem
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament. Again not a problem but should be kept just incase
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. I dont think anyone uses these but keep just incase

Next is the confusing part lol

Open Competitions

1. WE dont do pools so no worries
2. The Open Singles will be a Best of 3 Game Series, Double Elimination Bracket. When 16 players remain (8 Winners Bracket & 8 Losers Bracket), the Open Singles will end and each player will earn a spot in the Championship Singles. Ok if you look at this part, ill put this in bigger font. This is where we get 2/3 from but this is for there open singles so whether we want to change to 3/5 or keep it the same it doesnt matter. I personally prefer 2/3 and 3/5 for finals. And I will state that I like having to win 2 set from losers to beat the winners finalist rather than the best of 11
3. Players will be seeded for the bracket end of story, we know how to seed so no problems here
4. Disagree keep it brackets for both unless it is previously decided
5. Again for Pools so no worries until we do pools
6.Pool Play again
7. The Open Singles bracket will be a best of 3 games series, double elimination bracket. I agree with best of 3
9. A loss in the Losers Bracket will result in elimination from the competition.
11. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
12. Items will be turned off. Rules 7-12 should be how it is with the exception that finals are best 3/5 and that two sets should have to be won if coming from losers

1. The Championship Singles and Doubles brackets will be best of 5 games series, double elimination brackets. I dont personally like best of 5
2. Players/teams eliminated via round 5 or 6 of the Losers Bracket will play 1 match to determine their exact 5th-8th placement. I think this is a good idea for the top 8 if we have time :)
3. Players/teams will be seeded for their brackets based on MLG rank points. We dont do points and we seed manually
4. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit. K
6. Items will be turned off. Rules 3-6 are good and as ive alrdy said i like 2/3 with 3/5 for finals

Stages: I left out what stages are legal as my pretty picture shows that for you! :)

1. The higher seed has first choice for their seat(s) and controller port(s). The higher seeded team has first choice for their team color. Teams must sit together on one side or the other. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, the winner of the 1st series will have seat and controller choice. I agree with this 100%
2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can't be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick. While a good rule, I dont think everyone gets the simple stuff so lets leave it out for now
5. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player. Yes should be known
6. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2 Some stage knowledge for y'all7. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City Some stage knowledge for y'all
8. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett. If you dont understand my picture then I give you this[COLOR]
9. No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series. The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a best of 11 series. I dont know about this seeing as its 3/5, but I think if you lost on a stage you should be able to go back there, ONLY IF U LOST THERE
10. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out. Yes very important I'm tired of lower seeded teams telling me and Snap to knock out first
11. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters. This is SHOULD BE KNOWN IF YOU DONT KNOW IT KNOW IT NOW
12. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game. Yep this is standard as well
13. During Championship Bracket competitions, players may ask for a double-blind pick during games four and five of a series. Players must call for the pick after the loser of the previous game has chosen the next game's stage. I personally like this rule as it adds a little more fun to 3/5 sets :)
14. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 11, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Player A beat Player B 3 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and Player leading 3 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series and players may call for a double-blind pick before any game throughout the best of 11. I dont like this much of all, although its interesting its long. But most will prob disagree
15. If the players/teams meeting in the Championship Match have not yet faced each other in a series and the team coming from the Losers Bracket wins first series, another series must be played to break the tie since both players/teams would only have one series loss. This is the **** I like LOL THIS FTWB

And Finally

1. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
4. I DONT LIKE THIS RULE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides Rule 4 this whole set is good so now you will get my complete rules with no side notes and I will fix everthing I noted.

Zoap's MLG Rules Modified:

General Rules and Regulations:

1. If a player or team doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 5 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit.
2. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, depending on the time of the crash
3. All decisions made by tournament officials are final.
4. Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion.
5. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.
6. Players must report to their station immediately after their match is announced. If after 5 minutes, a player/team has not reported to their station they will forfeit the match.

Controllers

2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Singles and Doubles Competition

1. Singles will be a Best of 3 Game Series, Double Elimination Bracket.
2. Players will be seeded for the bracket based on previous tournament performance and done by knowledgeable set of at least 2 players from different areas and then by Doubles the same way
3.Singles bracket will be a best of 3 games series, double elimination bracket.
4. After losing a series, teams will fall into the Losers Bracket.
5. A loss in the Losers Bracket will result in elimination from the competition.
6.Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
7. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
8. Items will be turned off.

9. The finals of each Singles and Doubles brackets will be best of 5 games series.
10.Players/teams eliminated via round 5 or 6 of the Losers Bracket will play 1 match to determine their exact 5th-8th placement.
11. Players/teams will be seeded for their brackets based on MLG rank points.
12.Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
13. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
14. Items will be turned off.

1. The higher seed has first choice for their seat(s) and controller port(s). The higher seeded team has first choice for their team color. Teams must sit together on one side or the other. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, the winner of the 1st series will have seat and controller choice.
2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage.
3. Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
4. Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64
5. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
8. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.
9. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.
10. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
11. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.
13. During finals the players may ask for a double-blind pick during games four and five of a series. Players must call for the pick after the loser of the previous game has chosen the next game's stage.
14. If the players/teams meeting in the Final Match the team coming from the Losers Bracket wins first series, another series must be played to break the tie since both players/teams would only have one series loss.

4. For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON
5. For Doubles matches, life stealing is allowed

Red means banned

And with that I'm spent :)

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
As many have stated b4 though we use mlg rules modified. Whether we specify these modifications makes no matter :) . Also Nemesis the new rules are 3/5 ill have to see if i can drag up the rules
Thanks. the MLG FAQ page says go to the event page... WHAT EVENT PAGE?!?! THERE IS NO EVENT PAGE *SHAKES FIST*

Delphiki

Smash Champion
MLG New York is the latest update. If you find the MLG NY page you'll find the most recent ruleset. If I'm wrong, and NY isn't the latest, you just have to learn the latest time they changed the rules and find that event.

SuperRad

Smash Master
My input on the rules:
Allow banning of neutrals, even if only after the random game. In MLG rules, it works better to have no banning of neutrals because its a best of 5 and therefore one stage that might be weighted heavily towards a specific character (FD and ICs, YS and Marth, etc) is only 1/5 of the potential games. Yet in a best of three series it is 1/3 and has a much bigger weight.

Other then that most MLG rules seem perfectly fine. Although I think we've been using only 5 neutral stages for Doubles instead of 7 that MLG has (I think that they use Rainbow Cruise and DK64 as neutrals for doubles).

EDIT: link to mlg rules is here. Scroll down to the Smash Section.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
My input on the rules:
Allow banning of neutrals, even if only after the random game. In MLG rules, it works better to have no banning of neutrals because its a best of 5 and therefore one stage that might be weighted heavily towards a specific character (FD and ICs, YS and Marth, etc) is only 1/5 of the potential games. Yet in a best of three series it is 1/3 and has a much bigger weight.
FD and Falco...... psh......

Zoap

Smash Master
Since i spent so long editing :(

As many have stated b4 though we use mlg rules modified. Whether we specify these modifications makes no matter . Also Nemesis the new rules are 3/5 ill have to see if i can drag up the rules

BIG HUGE EDIT: so i read what Btzo said and i agree we should get all the rules straight. Ill start by putting all the MLG rules then putting my mods, so you guys can see what you think, also i will put my comments or changes in a bright color prob yellow or lime green followed by my revised rules, or at least what i think we should use

Please read Mlg's version b4 going to mine and complaining about my opinion

I ll start wit the stages mlg allows for dbls and singles

Red means banned

Right off Mlg Website

Super Smash Brothers Melee

1. During Championship Bracket competitions, all players must register a 1-4 digit tag. If they wish to wear a tag during the game they must use their registered tag, otherwise they may not use one.
2. During scheduled warm-up periods the winner stays and the loser must get up.
3. If a player or team doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 5 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit.
4. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
5. A staff member will record each game's results so no reporting of scores by players is necessary.
6. All decisions made by tournament officials are final.
7. Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion.
8. Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing. Breaking this rule will result in a warning. A second violation will result in ejection of the spectator and forfeit of the game.
9. Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the rankings/brackets will result in ejection and possible suspension from future tournaments.
10. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.
11. Players must report to their station immediately after their match is announced. If after 5 minutes, a player/team has not reported to their station they will forfeit the match.

Controllers

Open Competitions

1. The Open Singles competition will start with Pool Play. All players with rank points will be separated into the pools. All remaining players will be randomly separated into the pools. The top 2 players from each pool will advance to the Open Singles bracket.
2. The Open Singles will be a Best of 3 Game Series, Double Elimination Bracket. When 16 players remain (8 Winners Bracket & 8 Losers Bracket), the Open Singles will end and each player will earn a spot in the Championship Singles.
3. Players will be seeded for the bracket based first on their pool play performance. Ties will be broken first by Singles rank points, then by performance at the most recent event, and then by Doubles rank points.
4. The Open Doubles competition will consist of Pool Play only. All teams with rank points will be separated into the pools. All remaining teams will be randomly separated into the pools.
5. Each player/team will play 2 games against all other players/teams in their pool. Scores will be recorded and used to rank players for the Elimination Bracket. Any ties for advancing positions will be broken by a single tiebreaker game.
6. For each game of a pool play match, the stage will be selected at random from the list of Random Select stages. Each player can eliminate 1 stage from the list of possibilities.
7. The Open Singles bracket will be a best of 3 games series, double elimination bracket.
12. Items will be turned off.

1. The Championship Singles and Doubles brackets will be best of 5 games series, double elimination brackets.
2. Players/teams eliminated via round 5 or 6 of the Losers Bracket will play 1 match to determine their exact 5th-8th placement.
3. Players/teams will be seeded for their brackets based on MLG rank points.

2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can't be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick.
9. No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series. The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a best of 11 series.
10. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.
11. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
12. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.
13. During Championship Bracket competitions, players may ask for a double-blind pick during games four and five of a series. Players must call for the pick after the loser of the previous game has chosen the next game's stage.
14. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 11, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Player A beat Player B 3 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and Player leading 3 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series and players may call for a double-blind pick before any game throughout the best of 11.
15. If the players/teams meeting in the Championship Match have not yet faced each other in a series and the team coming from the Losers Bracket wins first series, another series must be played to break the tie since both players/teams would only have one series loss.

4. Players/teams may designate a coach when they register for a competition, however, this coach may not be registered as a player for either a Singles or Doubles competition. Coaches may not instruct players during games, but may consult with players for a maximum of 1 minute between games. Once the stage for the next game has been selected, players may not talk to their coach.

Ok lets start with section one:

1. I dont agree with that tag idea and i dont think its a problem. Some ppl prefer to not use a tag, and other like to alter there tags so no worrys here
2. we dont have warmups besides friendlies and there is nothing wrong with it as most ppl when they ask to get in can
3. If a player or team doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 5 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit. THIS SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED
4. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.This rule leave up some questions, like Snap once asked me if the games crashes as a char is in the background about to die and end the match when power fails should the person really have to redo the whole match. My opinion is if it is a game deciding thing then reset otherwise let it continue from where it left off
5. We trust our players so no worries here
6. All decisions made by tournament officials are final. I agree
7. We never have problems with stuff like this but I agree if there is something major that happens
8. Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing. Breaking this rule will result in a warning. A second violation will result in ejection of the spectator and forfeit of the game. This I don't agree with entirely, I like to be able to talk to Snap and such, I on the otherhand completely understand if someone is being a *******
9. Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the rankings/brackets will result in ejection and possible suspension from future tournaments. Cant be helped and not like it matters anyways
10. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game. Agree
11. Players must report to their station immediately after their match is announced. If after 5 minutes, a player/team has not reported to their station they will forfeit the match. This is the same as before and my responce remains the same

Alright next is Controllers:

Controllers

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller. Agreed and not a problem
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament. Again not a problem but should be kept just incase
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. I dont think anyone uses these but keep just incase

Next is the confusing part lol

Open Competitions

1. WE dont do pools so no worries
2. The Open Singles will be a Best of 3 Game Series, Double Elimination Bracket. When 16 players remain (8 Winners Bracket & 8 Losers Bracket), the Open Singles will end and each player will earn a spot in the Championship Singles. Ok if you look at this part, ill put this in bigger font. This is where we get 2/3 from but this is for there open singles so whether we want to change to 3/5 or keep it the same it doesnt matter. I personally prefer 2/3 and 3/5 for finals. And I will state that I like having to win 2 set from losers to beat the winners finalist rather than the best of 11
3. Players will be seeded for the bracket end of story, we know how to seed so no problems here
4. Disagree keep it brackets for both unless it is previously decided
5. Again for Pools so no worries until we do pools
6.Pool Play again
7. The Open Singles bracket will be a best of 3 games series, double elimination bracket. I agree with best of 3
12. Items will be turned off. Rules 7-12 should be how it is with the exception that finals are best 3/5 and that two sets should have to be won if coming from losers

1. The Championship Singles and Doubles brackets will be best of 5 games series, double elimination brackets. I dont personally like best of 5
2. Players/teams eliminated via round 5 or 6 of the Losers Bracket will play 1 match to determine their exact 5th-8th placement. I think this is a good idea for the top 8 if we have time
3. Players/teams will be seeded for their brackets based on MLG rank points. We dont do points and we seed manually
4. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit. K
6. Items will be turned off. Rules 3-6 are good and as ive alrdy said i like 2/3 with 3/5 for finals

Stages: I left out what stages are legal as my pretty picture shows that for you!

1. The higher seed has first choice for their seat(s) and controller port(s). The higher seeded team has first choice for their team color. Teams must sit together on one side or the other. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, the winner of the 1st series will have seat and controller choice. I agree with this 100%
2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can't be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick. While a good rule, I dont think everyone gets the simple stuff so lets leave it out for now
5. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player. Yes should be known
6. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2 Some stage knowledge for y'all7. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City Some stage knowledge for y'all
8. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett. If you dont understand my picture then I give you this[COLOR]
9. No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series. The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a best of 11 series. I dont know about this seeing as its 3/5, but I think if you lost on a stage you should be able to go back there, ONLY IF U LOST THERE
10. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out. Yes very important I'm tired of lower seeded teams telling me and Snap to knock out first
11. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters. This is SHOULD BE KNOWN IF YOU DONT KNOW IT KNOW IT NOW
12. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game. Yep this is standard as well
13. During Championship Bracket competitions, players may ask for a double-blind pick during games four and five of a series. Players must call for the pick after the loser of the previous game has chosen the next game's stage. I personally like this rule as it adds a little more fun to 3/5 sets
14. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 11, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Player A beat Player B 3 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and Player leading 3 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series and players may call for a double-blind pick before any game throughout the best of 11. I dont like this much of all, although its interesting its long. But most will prob disagree
15. If the players/teams meeting in the Championship Match have not yet faced each other in a series and the team coming from the Losers Bracket wins first series, another series must be played to break the tie since both players/teams would only have one series loss. This is the **** I like LOL THIS FTWB

And Finally

4. I DONT LIKE THIS RULE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides Rule 4 this whole set is good so now you will get my complete rules with no side notes and I will fix everthing I noted.

Zoap's MLG Rules Modified:

General Rules and Regulations:

1. If a player or team doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 5 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit.
2. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, depending on the time of the crash
3. All decisions made by tournament officials are final.
4. Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion.
5. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.
6. Players must report to their station immediately after their match is announced. If after 5 minutes, a player/team has not reported to their station they will forfeit the match.

Controllers

Singles and Doubles Competition

1. Singles will be a Best of 3 Game Series, Double Elimination Bracket.
2. Players will be seeded for the bracket based on previous tournament performance and done by knowledgeable set of at least 2 players from different areas and then by Doubles the same way
3.Singles bracket will be a best of 3 games series, double elimination bracket.
4. After losing a series, teams will fall into the Losers Bracket.
5. A loss in the Losers Bracket will result in elimination from the competition.
6.Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
7. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
8. Items will be turned off.

9. The finals of each Singles and Doubles brackets will be best of 5 games series.
10.Players/teams eliminated via round 5 or 6 of the Losers Bracket will play 1 match to determine their exact 5th-8th placement.
11. Players/teams will be seeded for their brackets based on MLG rank points.
12.Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
13. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
14. Items will be turned off.

2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage.
9. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.
10. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
11. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.
13. During finals the players may ask for a double-blind pick during games four and five of a series. Players must call for the pick after the loser of the previous game has chosen the next game's stage.
14. If the players/teams meeting in the Final Match the team coming from the Losers Bracket wins first series, another series must be played to break the tie since both players/teams would only have one series loss.

4. For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON
5. For Doubles matches, life stealing is allowed

Red means banned

And with that I'm spent

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I would like to try a biweekly where ALL SETS are 3/5, and each player gets one non-neutral stage ban, and one "random reset." I personally like these sets much better, because you get to knock out your opponent's stupid counter pick (e.g. Mute, Corneria), and you can have the opportunity to get a "fair" neutral. So, in such a set the winner of the first stage can't coast to victory on a favored neutral and counterpicks. Plus it's fun.

If we do 2/3, then the "best of 11" thing should in fact be a best of 7 (or 9 if it's in the finals).

I think we should also re-evaluate the legal counterpicks.

I also think we should try out the Swiss system the following biweekly.

mike666

Smash Apprentice
first off i gotta say that zoap, you must have had a lot of free time to make those monster posts lol.

about the rules, i honestly do not have the energy to read ur guys' posts so wut I think is the best idea is to discuss it this/next saturday. talking is much easier and more efficient since u can get everyone's opinions at once and not wait for ppl to post.

about the biweeklies....after talking with david, it's pretty clear we both have a huge craving for smash, so more than likely, we will just have 2 consecutive biweeklies, one this saturday and one next saturday. for all those politically correct ppl, i kno that does not make it a "biweekly" but i really dnt give a **** so get used to it.

about the draft/projector thing....i noticed you guys havnt really decided wut kind of crew battle to do(cites, draft or race) so maybe we should save that for this/next sat and discuss as well. seeing as how next saturday(27th) will probably have more ppl, it might be better to save the crew battle - whichever kind we decide to have - for next saturday. if that's the case, then we'll just have the projector that day too.

scamp: i like wut u said, but im not really sure how to do it without requiring ppl to leave the room. if u come the saturday that we decide to do projector, plz come before teams starts so we can discuss ur idea in person and go from there. sound good?

for everyone else.....since more than likely there will be one this saturday, for all you guys that will be coming plz plz plz BRING YOUR CUBES. also, i honestly think it's time we start recording our matches - we have a lot of talent and so we need to start getting norcal out there. so anyone and everyone, if you have a VCR and it wouldnt be too much trouble, plz bring them - Norcal would be much thankful :)

See you guys this Saturday(hopefully) :)

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
first off i gotta say that zoap, you must have had a lot of free time to make those monster posts lol.

about the rules, i honestly do not have the energy to read ur guys' posts so wut I think is the best idea is to discuss it this/next saturday. talking is much easier and more efficient since u can get everyone's opinions at once and not wait for ppl to post.

about the biweeklies....after talking with david, it's pretty clear we both have a huge craving for smash, so more than likely, we will just have 2 consecutive biweeklies, one this saturday and one next saturday. for all those politically correct ppl, i kno that does not make it a "biweekly" but i really dnt give a **** so get used to it.

about the draft/projector thing....i noticed you guys havnt really decided wut kind of crew battle to do(cites, draft or race) so maybe we should save that for this/next sat and discuss as well. seeing as how next saturday(27th) will probably have more ppl, it might be better to save the crew battle - whichever kind we decide to have - for next saturday. if that's the case, then we'll just have the projector that day too.

scamp: i like wut u said, but im not really sure how to do it without requiring ppl to leave the room. if u come the saturday that we decide to do projector, plz come before teams starts so we can discuss ur idea in person and go from there. sound good?

for everyone else.....since more than likely there will be one this saturday, for all you guys that will be coming plz plz plz BRING YOUR CUBES. also, i honestly think it's time we start recording our matches - we have a lot of talent and so we need to start getting norcal out there. so anyone and everyone, if you have a VCR and it wouldnt be too much trouble, plz bring them - Norcal would be much thankful :)

See you guys this Saturday(hopefully) :)
yea recorded matches too bad last time we did it we didnt have them get uploaded yet and there with Zoap still who is lazy to upload them xD.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
each player gets one non-neutral stage ban, and one "random reset." I personally like these sets much better.
See, atleast someone agrees with me that its better. Stages add an extra element of skill to the game and if everyone bans the neutral random stages, it means people don't have to learn the other mlg legal stages... also if we don't allow the banning of neutral stages, one of the more important stages will be banned and if someone feels that a neutral stage strongly favors the other opponent... then everyone still has their ONE reset plus... can't play on any stage twice so you can't get the bad neutral stage twice.

Also, I think its more fair to ban stages after first round so both players can see the characters both are using... instead of having to depend on knowledge beforehand of what characters the player is most known for using... yeah?

Oh yeah and about the rounds... so how does it work... If i beat someone 2-0 and meet them again during the tournament, will it go to best of 5... with me already having won 2 and him 0 so all I need is 1 more win?

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
I'm bringing my laptop this saturday, which means I can use TIO and record matches. Even though we will be using TIO, we're still going to have Paper-Brackets for backup.

I record matches directly onto my laptop, but you play on the TV. It splits the AV to the laptop and the TV.

Ask me if you want your match recorded. I can upload to YouTube if you want, or if you want it private bring me a blank CD-R.

No Bootle/AfroJustin, I will not record your matches.

jk.

Zoap

Smash Master
falcomist said:
yea recorded matches too bad last time we did it we didnt have them get uploaded yet and there with Zoap still who is lazy to upload them xD.
This is the kind of stuff that makes Zoap a sad panda :( nah jk:laugh: ill try and get them up by the end of today.

Also about not banning neutrals can we plz look at some ****ty char and stage combinations.

Jigglypuff/Peach/Samus/Y.Link + Dreamland= Stupid( The first 3 live to well up past high 100% and the last can just platform camp the entire time.

Marth/Fox/Ganon/Sheik+ Yoshi Story= Do I need to go through why this is horrible stage to being playing these chars on. I mean really Peach/Jigglypuff die and incredibly low percent from all of them, not to mention the lack of high ceiling and sides.

Falco/Fox+Final Destination= How many people like to play Falco on FD, I know I dont and I use a pretty god **** good char.

Falcon/Falco/Fox+Pokestadium= This is probably just me but Falcon on this stage?!?! Can we say I got FUXXED UP BY COMBOES

Peach/Marth+Fountain of Dreams= Wow have you seen this stage and peachs downsmash, not pretty, Not to mention its not a whole lot different for marth than YS

Battlefield doesnt have a whole lot, unless ur me :)

The reset is ok but lets say were playing a marth and we get Battlefield first and were like hmm reset now a small chance of YS. I dont like leaving that to chance. Just allow bans of neutrals and the others. The better players play on non neutrals and no their inherent advantages there.

MangoFalco

Smash Rookie
wait. so...its this saturday for biweekly....wow i havent been able to go to any yet. but i just to make sure xD

Bootleofwater

Smash Journeyman
Glad to hear that there will probably be a Biweekly on Saturday. I think we should try 3/5 instead of 2/3, like others have said before, it eliminates a free win to some characters. Not to mention you also get to play more matches.

Who said I wanted you to record my matches, Lunin? :p

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
This is the kind of stuff that makes Zoap a sad panda :( nah jk:laugh: ill try and get them up by the end of today.

Also about not banning neutrals can we plz look at some ****ty char and stage combinations.

Jigglypuff/Peach/Samus/Y.Link + Dreamland= Stupid( The first 3 live to well up past high 100% and the last can just platform camp the entire time.

Marth/Fox/Ganon/Sheik+ Yoshi Story= Do I need to go through why this is horrible stage to being playing these chars on. I mean really Peach/Jigglypuff die and incredibly low percent from all of them, not to mention the lack of high ceiling and sides.

Falco/Fox+Final Destination= How many people like to play Falco on FD, I know I dont and I use a pretty god **** good char.

Falcon/Falco/Fox+Pokestadium= This is probably just me but Falcon on this stage?!?! Can we say I got FUXXED UP BY COMBOES

Peach/Marth+Fountain of Dreams= Wow have you seen this stage and peachs downsmash, not pretty, Not to mention its not a whole lot different for marth than YS

Battlefield doesnt have a whole lot, unless ur me :)

The reset is ok but lets say were playing a marth and we get Battlefield first and were like hmm reset now a small chance of YS. I dont like leaving that to chance. Just allow bans of neutrals and the others. The better players play on non neutrals and no their inherent advantages there.
then you should've stayed on battlefield... lol... but still, the reset is a useful rule if you can't ban stages before first round... which I think is better...

I wish that school hadn't started this week and that architecture wasn't so gay and time demanding so I could go to this.../cries
I'm taking 9 semister units during intersession... im dying here also O_o

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
I agree with Zoap's version of the rules, they basically said what I had been intending to say (but I did not want to take the time to do it XDXD). I think at the next biweekly I will announce any new rule changes, and btw continuing sets is stupid kthx.

Also Rey, I would like to do the brackets by hand this time, and if you can put the brackets that I make onto tio then that would work out ;P. I mean tio's a great program of course, but I have much more faith in manual seeding and bracket making in general.

SuperRad

Smash Master
Hey BTZO: With tio, you can seed all the players entered manually, or seed the players that need to be seeded, and then have the rest input randomly. I'm not sure if you know that, but it's pretty simple to do once you've seen it once. But yeah, I understand wanting to do it by hand.

About stage selection: I think the best way to do it is to this:
Random stage is played, each player gets one reset.
Then stages are banned, any stage may be banned.
Proceed as normal.

Why?
Because I still think that there are neutrals out there that are too heavily weighted to let be unbanned. The reset allows you to bypass it once, but there is no guarantee that you wont get it again. (although the chances are 1/36 to get the same stage twice, so its unlikely). And it allows the first stage to generally be more neutral (cause if either character gets a stage they dont like they get a chance to get a different one.) Then if you allow banning of neutrals, it allows people to ban the stage that they feel is the worst for their matchup. If I lose the first match on a neutral against marth, and its not YS, I know that I'm probably going to have to play YS if I win my counterpick. So why shouldn't I be allowed to Ban that stage? Its used for a counterpick the same way "counterpick" stages are.

Although, I think it is important to ban AFTER the random stage game. I don't see any real reason to have bans before if we use resets.

Oh, and as Zoap said, higher seeds should get to ban second.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
Hey BTZO: With tio, you can seed all the players entered manually, or seed the players that need to be seeded, and then have the rest input randomly. I'm not sure if you know that, but it's pretty simple to do once you've seen it once. But yeah, I understand wanting to do it by hand.

About stage selection: I think the best way to do it is to this:
Random stage is played, each player gets one reset.
Then stages are banned, any stage may be banned.
Proceed as normal.

Why?
Because I still think that there are neutrals out there that are too heavily weighted to let be unbanned. The reset allows you to bypass it once, but there is no guarantee that you wont get it again. (although the chances are 1/36 to get the same stage twice, so its unlikely). And it allows the first stage to generally be more neutral (cause if either character gets a stage they dont like they get a chance to get a different one.) Then if you allow banning of neutrals, it allows people to ban the stage that they feel is the worst for their matchup. If I lose the first match on a neutral against marth, and its not YS, I know that I'm probably going to have to play YS if I win my counterpick. So why shouldn't I be allowed to Ban that stage? Its used for a counterpick the same way "counterpick" stages are.

Although, I think it is important to ban AFTER the random stage game. I don't see any real reason to have bans before if we use resets.

Oh, and as Zoap said, higher seeds should get to ban second.
heh, well said. I say thats the best way to go about the stage selections also.

btw continuing sets is stupid kthx.
I really don't mind either way... but I can see why its important to continue sets... makes the round more important...

like say you play against me and go 2-0.
You get paired up with isai/ss or someone and lose becoming 1-1

I get paired up with someone and win and become 1-1

and somehow, we end up playing against each other

you win 1 round and I win 2 rounds.

Now your out of the tournament and I'm at 2-1 even though you have 3 rounds on me and I only have 2 rounds on you in this tournament.

It seems like I had to work a lot less O_o.

Top Bottom