• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I don't like the reset thing. In a best of three set, with only 6 neutral stages, I think it makes the stage selection pretty limited. If each player bans a neutral stage (which I allow), then they both do a single reset, each player has a good chance to get the stage they want, as long as it wasn't banned.

As for continuing sets.... Zoap and ender explained to me the best system. Whether or not you have met a player before shouldn't matter. That gives an additional advantage to the loser, who already has the ability to counterpick. Counting previous sets hands the loser free wins, which I think they don't deserve.

In Grand Finals, the player who is still in the winners bracket must be eliminated twice. The player in losers has already lost once, and so must only lose once more.

And what Brian says about Tio is right. I usually seed by skill, then attempt to seperate by location. Skill is manually determined, and outprioritizes location. A player from Japan who I decided to rank at 9 would not meet an American 9 sooner than winners finals (assuming there are no 10s). Location then ensures that after skill seeding, two players who have been assigned the same location will be seperated as far as possible. To see how I do location assigning. Assume these players remained after skill seeding:

NorCal, F.T.A., Stockton (KFC)
NorCal, Nova Complex, Rancho Cordova (Delphiki)
NorCal, Nova Complex, Rancho Cordova (DRGN)
NorCal, F.T.A., Rancho Cordova (TC1)
NorCal, F.T.A., Stockton (Meep)

In this situation, Delphiki/DRGN and K.F.C./Meep would be farthest apart, because they have identical locations. TC1 would have a greater chance of playing Delf or DRGN, and a lower chance of playing Meep or KFC. Just so everyone knows, I try to seperate crews over city. I would rather face a player in my area than a player in my crew, this strengthens the similarity in location in players of the same crew and city (thereby ensuring the most seperation), and it also gives the added tension of seeing which crews will penetrate farther into the bracket.

I think the thing that is most disliked in Tio's skill seeding is bye placement. The program gives the highest seeded players the byes. Thus the lower ranked players have a greater chance of not receiving a bye in the first round.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
I don't like the reset thing. In a best of three set, with only 6 neutral stages, I think it makes the stage selection pretty limited. If each player bans a neutral stage (which I allow), then they both do a single reset, each player has a good chance to get the stage they want, as long as it wasn't banned.
can't ban stages during first round... thats why the reset is there.

SuperRad

Smash Master
I think the thing that is most disliked in Tio's skill seeding is bye placement. The program gives the highest seeded players the byes. Thus the lower ranked players have a greater chance of not receiving a bye in the first round.
Thats the way it should work though. Because you want the highest seeded people to play the lowest seeded people. In the absence of a full bracket, the "lowest seeds" are the byes. Seeding is designed not only to make it so top seeds dont play eachother, but its also designed around giving the higher seeds the easiest brackets. (The number one seed in a thirty-two man bracket where the top seed always wins would play: 32, 16, 8, 4, 2. The second seed plays: 31, 15, 7, 3. Third Seed: 30, 14, 6, 2. ETC)

Delphiki said:
which is why you ban AFTER resets. Meaning that you get one shot at a re-random, meaning most likely you can control one neutral stage, and even then it isnt guaranteed (if you reroll away from stage X as its the best stage for your opponent, your opponent now has two tries to get it again, at the risk of getting a better neutral for you.)

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
cant you just switch the skill level around then? Give the lower ranked player higher numbers and vice versa. I see why not this wouldnt work.

SuperRad

Smash Master
I always thought bans were only allowed before the first match. Is that right?
Maybe you should've read one of zoaps extremely long posts :laugh:

Oh and I like how Tio seeds byes too, but I've received a few complaints.
I know, I was just expressing WHY it does that. Honestly, if people dont like that they should get better so they get good seeds:laugh:

EDIT: Oh, and I think it might be wise to have some kind of draft of these new rules on hand at the next biweekly. For new people and people that dont read the boards, that way if they dont listen when the changes are explained they can refer to something in print that says it. Also, that way players that dont post on the boards can provide their input (A lot of the top players havent commented on these yet and maybe you will get new insight or opinions.)

Also, I think that these rules should be standardized through all of the Norcal Biweeklies (SJSU, SFSU, Sacramento, TGE) if the TOs think these are fair. Just makes it easy for norcal players to know that there are the same rules at every tournament. Also means that new tournament organizers have something to go by. And who knows, maybe they will catch on with other parts of the country :)

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The chances aren't 1/36 that you'll get the same stage twice, they are 1/6. 1/36 would be the chance that you get a particular stage twice in a row.

I kind of like Brian's idea, except how about this: You make your counterpick ban when it is your opponent's turn to counterpick stage. Also, you have to stage ban as the FIRST ACT in the counterpick system, so after the first game, the process is: Winner bans counter stage. Loser picks stage. Winner picks character. Loser picks character. Go. Notice that the loser of the first game doesn't make his coutnerpick ban unless/until he wins the 2nd game.

I also think you should be able to counterpick ban a neutral stage.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Actually, I was getting the complaints from the players who got the byes. Good smashers always want to Smash ^_^. Lucien, I could easily just drag + drop the byes wherever I wanted, or I could manually seed, but doing what you said would make the good players face each other sooner in the brackets. I'll show you how Tio works if you show up to the biweekly on Saturday.

I think standardizing the biweekly rules is a good idea. Oh yeah and I read Zoap's post, but apparently not close enough. Anyways, if the NCB Tios could get together with myself (I more or less dictate the SBW rules, but I'd still have to run them by TC1) and the Tios from the TGEs and SFSUs then we can quickly and easily get them standardized. I doubt there will be any large disagreements. Who runs the TGEs/SFSUs anyway?

Zoap

Smash Master
thats the thing ppl dont always agree on rules thats why i put out my version of rules and alrdy we have ppl wit disagreements ranging from 3/5 rule to the current reset rule. Im surprised no one has brought up stages yet lol

SuperRad

Smash Master
The chances aren't 1/36 that you'll get the same stage twice, they are 1/6. 1/36 would be the chance that you get a particular stage twice in a row.

I kind of like Brian's idea, except how about this: You make your counterpick ban when it is your opponent's turn to counterpick stage. Also, you have to stage ban as the FIRST ACT in the counterpick system, so after the first game, the process is: Winner bans counter stage. Loser picks stage. Winner picks character. Loser picks character. Go. Notice that the loser of the first game doesn't make his coutnerpick ban unless/until he wins the 2nd game.

I never was good at probability :ohwell:

And yeah I like Sheridan's Idea.

Zoap

Smash Master
ima dbl post lol

Ill print out Mlg's Whole Ruleset and bring it this Sat to the biweekly, there we can work out the kinks and I'll even bring my version and we can tinker with it if its easier.

I also will bring that picture of the stages and we can decide those as well

EDIT: Superrad saved me from the dbl post

SuperRad

Smash Master
ima dbl post lol

Ill print out Mlg's Whole Ruleset and bring it this Sat to the biweekly, there we can work out the kinks and I'll even bring my version and we can tinker with it if its easier.

I also will bring that picture of the stages and we can decide those as well
We either need to include the picture in our final set of rules or set up the rules so that stages for Singles and Doubles are listed separately. The wya MLG did it was confusing for me :dizzy:

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Sheridan said:
You make your counterpick ban when it is your opponent's turn to counterpick stage. Also, you have to stage ban as the FIRST ACT in the counterpick system, so after the first game, the process is: Winner bans counter stage. Loser picks stage. Winner picks character. Loser picks character. Go. Notice that the loser of the first game doesn't make his coutnerpick ban unless/until he wins the 2nd game.

I like this idea too. Oh and I didn't have a disagreement about resets, I just never knew about them. I won't make a decision until I try them.

G'night all, I prolly won't check this thread 'til after work tomorrow.

edit: Sheridan check the NCPR thread.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace

Hmm... simply put it... you can only ban the stages after first round... right? Or is there a reason why the loser can't ban a stage also after first round... i don't see it... lol

Hey sheridan, how do you feel bout the set continuation... my example was correct wasn't it or am I totally off the mark?

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
That was kind of an obvious DBZ question :ohwell: If SSJ1 Goku beat Frieza then why wouldn't SSJ2 Vegeta beat him o.Ohaha

Also for continuing sets, I don't have a reason for disliking them really, I understand the concept and why they are done, I just don't like players being at a disadvantage because of a previous match. I like how you can start fresh instead of thinking you are gonna lose because you are down in the set;)

Sorry I didn't actually read the 2 new pages since yesterday:dizzy: :dizzy: so yeah XD...i just kinda skimmed over =D

Delphiki

Smash Champion
There's a Sac Biweekly this Saturday, the NCB hasn't been confirmed.

Zoap don't forget a printout of the rules this weekend.

And don't answer spammers BTZO. ^_^

KizzoGirl

Smash Ace
Hello everyone. There will be a biweekly this Saturday in the club room. Cuz we be clubbin.

However, I won't be hosting it because I have work, and Mike will do that. But I also won't host any of them for the remainder of the semester. The biweeklies aren't going to be leaving or anything - I just won't be hosting anymore due to work/school. Sorry about the disturbance, but my time has come and I really need to do my work haha. Maybe I can host a few if I feel like it or whatever, but yeah. Please note that this has nothing to do with the recent lack of biweeklies, as those were all simply due to work.

Have a nice day.

Zoap

Smash Master
how sad kizzo :( , but all great duos come to end. Sheridan and BTZO, if I bring the rules and stuff I think we three should work out some of the pressing issues. Of course if someone has some valid input thats great. Hopefully we can work out all of them and get a set of rules up by the end of the biweekly.

PS. Kizzo I love the name. Sounds like a delicious meal! :psycho:

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
don't worry kizzo people understand that you have a life, but it would be nice to hopefully see you sometime its been awhile. Its been awhile seen SJSU hasn't had a biweekly.

Zoap

Smash Master
K Balls, if your not busy tommorow im going to play a new guy from antioch, BOZO, he has posted on the boards b4. Ill give ur cell a call tommorow. Also me and miles are gonna do some mountain mikes and golf n games u wanna come? Ima also call david and john see if there free(prob not they both work all the time)

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
awwwww FUX

im not going to be able to make this one. ****ing finals. god ****it, i was really looking forward to this too...
so do i.. so do i. for such a dryspell of biweeklies... its unfortunate that it has to start up again THIS Saturday for us lol.

Art?

Smash Journeyman
mike said there's gonna be two consecutive "biweeklies," one this saturday and the one after. no more biweekly questions kthxbye.

Dread101

Smash Journeyman
Kizzo Nooooo !!how Can U Do This To Us! There Cant Be Biweeklies Without U! U Cant Have The Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwhich Without The Bread! Ur Wat Holds Us Together! Without U! Were Just A Whole Bunch Ofidoits Holding Controllers!
We Need U! Come Back To Us!

MyKo

Smash Lord
You Probably Can Tell After IP Tracking Me.
heh..smash..i almost forgot what it had to do with.

all i do is play against comp in training mode putting the comp on evade/attack.

ehhhhhh..as usual, i'm either a bump threader or random topic starter / interrupter.

gg, sleeping. im not coming to this NCB.

here goes ANOTHER streak of me missing NCBs again!! :D

..and look at that missing NCT3 tourney, isn't even mentioned anymore in public.

GG.

The King

Smash Ace
Whatever crazy ideas you guys want to try to impliment into the ruleset, just please retain the choice of striking neutral stages from a set. The 5-6 neutrals are just the stages most fair to the largest amount of characters, but that doesn't mean that some characters don't suffer horribly when taken to Dreamland/Yoshi's Story and stuff like that. Just had to say that.

And sorry to see you go Kizzo. Thanks for helping to bring these biweeklies to NorCal, we're all indebted to you for that. Good luck with your future endeavors.

King Out

Top Bottom