• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Waahs: The Return of the Troll! Scarborough, January 9th, 2010

Gichan

Smash Champion
I liked it to, but unfortunatly the things in the stage kept killing people, so many hate it. It's banned at many tournaments, although I still see it as cp in some. I use to have it as cp to but decided to change it. Now I understand where you are coming from tin man, but although luigi's mansion can be broken down, it takes some time and MKs just abuse the **** out of the ceilings. I've seen it too much and I don't want to see it again at my tourney. I DO NOT go completely with popular opinion, I put A LOT of thought into it, I look at both sides very much so and then come to a conclusion. So whatever is in the stage list is there from contemplation and it is staying. there are people already crying about the stages on but I don't care, even of some people's opinions that matter to me. I don't think I am making any wrong decisions here but I definitely know I'll be crossing a fine line if I put Luigi's, at least for this scene.

you see tin, it's our scene that is the problem, we cannot handle MKs very well and with that some stages make it even worse for us. so until we improve in certain aspects then we can move on to others.

Also, some stages make people john, I want someone to win over the other with not too many reasons to john, and some stages don't allow it. I know I am contradicting myself because I have norfair and pictochat in, but as I said, these are my final decisions. But the inputs are nice to read and may go for further consideration at future tourneys.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
K, no more complaining. It is what it is...

6 people from sauga are making top 8. Including the Troll....

discuss =D

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Sauga can have their top 8; Chatham's taking top 1 >_>.

Stages in a nutshell (in regards to singles play only):
Norfair: 6 ledges which can all be easily reached from the other ledges and 6 small platforms which can all be sharked, heavily promoting camping and specifically planking. Lava hazards are also more likely to save you than kill you. This game takes long enough without these factors. Bad stage.

Luigi's Mansion: Natural loop; banned since day 1. The differentiating factor is that the loop can be destroyed, but this stage is huge and allows more than adequate space to run away while the loop respawns and the conflict avoidance begins again. Bad stage.

Japes: Klaptrap is on a consistent timer, the physics of the water is consistent, and while the size of the stage combined with the spacing of the platforms promotes especially defensive play, the high risk while off-stage means that eventually it will be unsafe to continue retreating, making indefinite retreat impossible. Boohoo it has a high ceiling. Good stage.

I was going to keep going with PS2 and Pictochat (both good stages) but I'll just leave it at this:

When evaluating a stage just follow these criteria:
-Provides a significant advantage or disadvantage to some characters: counterpick material
-Provides a gamebreaking advantage to some characters: bannable material.
-Provides a gamebreaking disadvantage to some characters: IRRELEVANT!!!!!

You can always switch off a character to avoid playing on a bad counterpick stage; this is why we choose stages before characters. You can switch to prevent your opponent from exploiting a gamebreaking disadvantage for your character. You cannot make your opponent switch to prevent them from exploiting a gamebreaking advantage for their character. So Dedede sucks on Japes - ok, don't use him on Japes; you'll never have to! If we inverted our stage selection criteria as a community and said you had to fight Dedede and Falco on Eldin...well, good ****ing luck.

nickcam

Smash Ace
random but anyways....Nickcam, troll, and hype (For frame data) would be a godlike commentary team lol.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
LOL As much as I like that commentary team, its missing a certain form of hypness.

My hypeness.

Also yeah I'll take that MM vs Snake Phil.

Hammabro

Smash Apprentice
just take the train, info on that included in first post. its really simple
Was that really necessary? We were fine taking the subwawy we just wanted to explore our options >_> Besides I was asked to make another reply about it. No need to be rude.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I liked it to, but unfortunatly the things in the stage kept killing people, so many hate it. It's banned at many tournaments, although I still see it as cp in some. I use to have it as cp to but decided to change it. Now I understand where you are coming from tin man, but although luigi's mansion can be broken down, it takes some time and MKs just abuse the **** out of the ceilings. I've seen it too much and I don't want to see it again at my tourney. I DO NOT go completely with popular opinion, I put A LOT of thought into it, I look at both sides very much so and then come to a conclusion. So whatever is in the stage list is there from contemplation and it is staying. there are people already crying about the stages on but I don't care, even of some people's opinions that matter to me. I don't think I am making any wrong decisions here but I definitely know I'll be crossing a fine line if I put Luigi's, at least for this scene.

you see tin, it's our scene that is the problem, we cannot handle MKs very well and with that some stages make it even worse for us. so until we improve in certain aspects then we can move on to others.

Also, some stages make people john, I want someone to win over the other with not too many reasons to john, and some stages don't allow it. I know I am contradicting myself because I have norfair and pictochat in, but as I said, these are my final decisions. But the inputs are nice to read and may go for further consideration at future tourneys.
Sauga can have their top 8; Chatham's taking top 1 >_>.

Stages in a nutshell (in regards to singles play only):
Norfair: 6 ledges which can all be easily reached from the other ledges and 6 small platforms which can all be sharked, heavily promoting camping and specifically planking. Lava hazards are also more likely to save you than kill you. This game takes long enough without these factors. Bad stage.

Luigi's Mansion: Natural loop; banned since day 1. The differentiating factor is that the loop can be destroyed, but this stage is huge and allows more than adequate space to run away while the loop respawns and the conflict avoidance begins again. Bad stage.

Japes: Klaptrap is on a consistent timer, the physics of the water is consistent, and while the size of the stage combined with the spacing of the platforms promotes especially defensive play, the high risk while off-stage means that eventually it will be unsafe to continue retreating, making indefinite retreat impossible. Boohoo it has a high ceiling. Good stage.

I was going to keep going with PS2 and Pictochat (both good stages) but I'll just leave it at this:

When evaluating a stage just follow these criteria:
-Provides a significant advantage or disadvantage to some characters: counterpick material
-Provides a gamebreaking advantage to some characters: bannable material.
-Provides a gamebreaking disadvantage to some characters: IRRELEVANT!!!!!

You can always switch off a character to avoid playing on a bad counterpick stage; this is why we choose stages before characters. You can switch to prevent your opponent from exploiting a gamebreaking disadvantage for your character. You cannot make your opponent switch to prevent them from exploiting a gamebreaking advantage for their character. So Dedede sucks on Japes - ok, don't use him on Japes; you'll never have to! If we inverted our stage selection criteria as a community and said you had to fight Dedede and Falco on Eldin...well, good ****ing luck.
1st of all, Gi respects on listening to me, if its ur final decision, I can only hope to change this in time for this tourney, or in the future

these are my major points here

1. Avarice says that circle camping is a big problem. This is teams, surround em, NO JOHNS
  2. Gi u say MK is a problem. This is teams, double MK is banned, with a teammate, there will be an easier solution to stopping MK's abuse of this stage, or just have an MK on ur team, NO JOHNS
  3. This is teams, Double MK is banned, NO JOHNS :p

Iliad

Smash Lord
You know, I never thought i'd agree with Tinny, but he's right. If you've banned double MK, then planking on stages like norfair and retreating/camping in a map like mansion won't do any good. Though not for the reasons tinman listed.

If one guy is being stupid and planking/camping, the other guy is open for double teaming. Which will inevitably draw that gay player back into the fight to help, and if they don't, well there goes a stock from their team, lets see if he planks anymore?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
if the MK is in the 1v1 situation, 1v1 situations dont always happen though, chances of an MK in a double mk banned tourney ending up in the 1v1 situation isnt that high

Tin Man

Smash Hero
btw avarice I would fight DDD on eldin with rob, that fat azz penguin is slower then molases, and when the stage separates in the middle, we dont reach me :laugh: kk whomever is going to york, i'll tty there, I'm going out to do some shiit now

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Luigi's mansion is a ******** stage for reasons upon reasons upon reasons and it would be a joke to even think to allow it, mk or not, teams or not.

buenob

Smash Lord
@infzy : plz let that ^ go :) lol

so my brothers friends think they want to show up to this tournament... is there room for 2 more?

nickcam

Smash Ace
Since tinman likes luigis mansion so much i would level to see you play a team with one of our top mk's on it. Once u get nado'd to hell you'll realize how stupid your arguement is.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Was that really necessary? We were fine taking the subwawy we just wanted to explore our options >_> Besides I was asked to make another reply about it. No need to be rude.
He's really blunt online, but actually quite friendly IRL. Nothing to worry about, life stresses us all out sometimes.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
Luigi's mansion is a ******** stage for reasons upon reasons upon reasons and it would be a joke to even think to allow it, mk or not, teams or not.
im beginning to remember me saying this waaaayyyy back a year and a half ago when you and ace MK'd me there

lol that was back LM was legal

SRTM

Smash Ace
i dthrew a rob into the claptrap once and it spiked him.
I barrel spiked marik into a klaptrap :laugh:

Also, i think we're gonna need a bigger venue.
If even 50 people go, there will be no moving space. Its gonna stink in there, and there may even be some deaths. @_@

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Ouch, WIGI. =(

Funny thing is, I've NEVER studied for an exam, yet I always do successful in them.

For sure, F1ZZ.

Looking forward to watching the livestream then, I guess.

WIGI

Smash Champion
yeah i couldn't really figure out how that was rude...

he just like.. gave an option

"take the train"

"dun be rude yo"

.Marik

is a social misfit
I'm supposed to be studying for my World Religions test now.

But I'm on SmashBoards, because it obviously takes priority and because I suffer from chronic procrastination.

FML.

Mr. TD

Smash Journeyman
Alright TROLL is coming for sure, anyone from Sauga need a ride? I have 3 spots in my car but you'd better not be way out of my way.

5ive

Smash Champion
k, if anyone's wondering about what Brawl+ set we're using, we're using an updated GSH2 beta.

It features no auto snap from hitlag when recovering. You'll know what I mean when you play it.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Alright TROLL is coming for sure, anyone from Sauga need a ride? I have 3 spots in my car but you'd better not be way out of my way.
I would! :yoshi:

Meadowvale Town Centre? Tell me what direction you are heading, and I can meet you along the way or something.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
if you are offering people rides and then dont end up picking them up you are the most successful troll ever lmao

Gichan

Smash Champion
Ok, funny thing is, now I actually need to ask for wiis. Can anyone who is not bringing a tv (or if you are, either way) please bring a wii. I don't want to have it end up like at mikeys where there were more tvs then wiis, lolol.

Top Bottom