• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No tripping code 'tis out (Updated! Added NEW Ocarina version!)

No, I use the same SD card for everything. You can't use the SD Card while using the Ocarina (meaning you can't save to or access things previously saved on the SD Card while you're using it), but you don't have to clear it to use it.
I would just like to make sure of something concerning this. You say that you can't use the SD card while using the Ocarina. Do you mean that if you were to download the hack you could still have the hack and turn it off or something and then be able to use your SD card with your wii? This is very important for me because I like to download created stages online onto my SD card and put them onto my wii, and occasionally make my own created stages to transfer to others online. I would still be able to do this, right?

Shiekah

Smash Cadet
I aplogise for my ignorance but the last thing I want to do is screw up my wii in some way. If I have a PAL Wii then which version of the Homebrew channel should I install on my wii? I have never tried any of this stuff soooo save me ;p

Revven

FrankerZ
I would just like to make sure of something concerning this. You say that you can't use the SD card while using the Ocarina. Do you mean that if you were to download the hack you could still have the hack and turn it off or something and then be able to use your SD card with your wii? This is very important for me because I like to download created stages online onto my SD card and put them onto my wii, and occasionally make my own created stages to transfer to others online. I would still be able to do this, right?
Yes, you would. The only time your SD Card id disabled is when you boot from Ocarina. When you don't, it isn't disabled and will work just like before.

I aplogise for my ignorance but the last thing I want to do is screw up my wii in some way. If I have a PAL Wii then which version of the Homebrew channel should I install on my wii? I have never tried any of this stuff soooo save me ;p
It doesn't matter which HBC you download, the latest version is the one you want, there aren't different HBCs for different regions. What does matter is the Twilight Hack save, which should be the PAL one.

Shears

Smash Master
just to clarify somethings i am an advocate of eliminating tripping but on the whole of changing the game of brawl i am unsupportive. tripping is an exception i have because i dont understand why it was added (i know to stop dashdancing and so forth). i run track professionally and i must say that i have never tripped once while running, nor have i seen someone trip casually i.e. without a curb, slope, interferance of another runner, hurdle, or via any other obstruction/possible cause.

Shiekah

Smash Cadet
I downloaded the Homebrew channel from here and I cant see it on my computer because I am using windows, if somebody could post me a link where I could download a version working in windows xp that would be great

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I downloaded the Homebrew channel from here and I cant see it on my computer because I am using windows, if somebody could post me a link where I could download a version working in windows xp that would be great
http://wii.brewology.com

That's where I got it, click on WiiPack! Generator in the top left hand corner and you can download the basic channel and Twilight Hack along with tons of programs to use with the Homebrew Channel. That's where I got mine and I use Windows XP as well, so it should work.

Shiekah

Smash Cadet
Ok now is where the fun begins. Your link proved very useful and I have now got the boot.elf for the homebrew channel on my SD card. The problem now is that I have the 3.3E update on my wii so I wont be able to use the twilight hack in order to install the channel. I do have the wad installer though so my question is, is it possible to install the homebrew channel on your wii after updating your wii to 3.3? If it is then how? :)

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Shears, you are becoming incredibly annoying. What you are saying is that you

1. Are incredibly annoying, and are trying to act as smug as possible in order to start an argument.
2. Didn't like melee because of hitstun, but you like ssb64 even though it has a ton more.
3. You love brawl everything about brawl and don't want people to hack, but you want tripping out in order to make the game more competitive like melee.
4. You want to tell people what they should and shouldn't do even though it has no impact on you and its none of your business.
5. You don't want hitstun in brawl, which is what makes ddd'g cg so incredible and all the infinites broken (plus mk)

You fail at starting flame wars, so either post intelligently and lay out what you mean to say and say it, or shut up.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Oh GOD. You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

The competitive community for Smash is a definite minority. They are not in any way a huge source of revenue and Nintendo has reinforced that statement with most of their releases. Both Nintendo and Sakurai cater to the casual crowd (and by casual I mean REALLY casual).

And about a quote, Sakurai has said countless times that he wants "everyone to be a winner". Have you read his developer's journals and such? He often repeats that he doesn't want a game where two players are attempting to competitively defeat the other, where one is deemed the ultimate winner. He wants a party game where everyone has fun.
The hardcore drive the gaming industry. Not the casuals. You should know this. Why do you think Nintendo came under heavy fire for their extremely lackluster E3 showing? Every professional media outlet has criticized Nintendo for taking a too extreme approach towards changing demographic.

The best-selling games are the ones that hardcore players buy. Have a look:
http://kotaku.com/346135/halo-3-beats-out-wii-play-for-best-selling-video-game-of-2007

Notice how "Wii Play without Remote" is nowhere on that list. I think we all know why it's even there in the first place. And take a gander at the rest of the titles; who's the main demographic for those?

Nintendo continues to focus on casuals NOT because they buy the most, but because they WANT them too, because that will double or triple their demographic. You're crazy if you think Sakurai wants to abolish the competitive community.

All the articles you refer to, all the interviews, have Sakurai strictly talking about an online ranking system. He doesn't want the casual players to realize they suck, because that would be BAD for the game's word-of-mouth. They want those players to keep living in oblivion, keep thinking they're good, thus keep thinking that the game is great and spreading the word about how good the game is.

Conversely, he WANTS the hardcore to organize tournaments OFFLINE because that creates huge advertising due to use of it in leagues and tourneys requirement for venues. Online rankings would reduce the need for those, and why would the developer want to give up that kind of exposure?

What, you think the casuals were the ones who made Melee get taken up by the MLG?

Seriously, it's just good business.

People need to stop being paranoid and start seeing things objectively.

Yes. Yes yes yes. One in maybe 10 matches I play involves a trip that made a big impact on the match.

You're going to have to do more than just give me your version to make that credible. As I said before, look at all the tourney videos that are on YouTube. Notice how none of them are decently affected by tripping? Those are tourney vids. I'd much rather base my opinion off of videos of matches that actually mattered. If tripping didn't affect any of them then, statistically speaking, it must not be as big a deal as some people make it out to be.

I know better than to use my own experiences with the game as a baseline for these conclusions.

And honestly, I don't mean to be rude (or maybe I do), but how did you ever get very far in life using that kind of logic?

"I can buy drugs 9 times out of 10 without getting caught and sent to jail so therefore police don't make any difference whatsoever."
"I can block 19 out of 20 shots on goal so therefore I'm going to ignore all good players that shoot on me."
And so on.
All your "examples" of how my logic is flawed aren't actually showcasing my logic at all.

This would be more appropriate use of my logic:
"I can play 55 out 56 games with tripping having little effect on my game, therefore tripping has very little impact on the game as a whole and I would be overreacting if I thought otherwise."

You succeed in buying drugs 9 out of 10 times because you know how to avoid and get past the cops. You do that well because the cops MAKE you do it well.
You succeed in blocking so many shots because you attempt to block them all, the players who shoot the ball at you leave you with no choice but to be good.

You don't succeed in having a good game because tripping forced you to be good. There's no correlation between tripping and your ability to be good at the game.

That's why your examples were terrible. There's enormous correlation between you needing to be good at getting under the cops because they exist and will arrest you otherwise. There's enormous correlation between you needing to be good at blocking those shots because people are shooting at you and will score otherwise.

There's no correlation with you needing to be good at Brawl because there's tripping in the game and you'll suck otherwise. You don't strive to be good because tripping exists. You strive to be good because cops and strikers exist, though. See the difference in my logic and the logic you thought I had?

I promise you that it is impossible for you or anyone else to provide a single piece of evidence as to why tripping should be included in Brawl. Of course arguments concerning Sakurai's vision or the fact that it's an original feature will be ignored; I want to hear why tripping makes it a BETTER game.
It doesn't make it a better game.

But it doesn't make it a worse game either.

Whatever stance you choose on the matter, it's all a question of opinion.

But you're not willing to hear other people's opinions unless it fits your ideal vision of the game.

That's cool. I'm neutral on tripping. I'm not for it or against it. You can debate that with someone who IS a supporter of it. Because I'm just someone who accepts it without making a fuss.

I just think people are overreacting in resorting to hacks in order to "fix" a game that isn't really very broken.... at least not any moreso than Melee was...

I invite you to go back and read my posts and find me EVER saying that I support tripping. Cause you won't find it. All you'll find is me saying that there's an overreaction to it and I don't think that reaction is as needed as people make it out to be. Because I'm neutral.

Shears

Smash Master
Shears, you are becoming incredibly annoying. What you are saying is that you

1. Are incredibly annoying, and are trying to act as smug as possible in order to start an argument.
2. Didn't like melee because of hitstun, but you like ssb64 even though it has a ton more.
3. You love brawl everything about brawl and don't want people to hack, but you want tripping out in order to make the game more competitive like melee.
4. You want to tell people what they should and shouldn't do even though it has no impact on you and its none of your business.
5. You don't want hitstun in brawl, which is what makes ddd'g cg so incredible and all the infinites broken (plus mk)

You fail at starting flame wars, so either post intelligently and lay out what you mean to say and say it, or shut up.
no hitstun is not the reason i hate melee. i dont believe hitstun should be taken out of brawl because it is a completely different game and the lack of hitstun is an element which seperates it from melee.

i dont like tripping, i think its stupid but i dont think brawl should be changed. so i would bite the bullet and keep tripping to keep brawl how it is. i said the only thing i think should be changed is tripping, because its not in any other games it makes no sense to put it in brawl. no game is perfect and i think mainly that is the problem with brawl, but whatever i can tolerate it (some people obviously cant).

your number 4 is stupid, none of anything is anybodys business but people still argue and try to involve themselves in discussion because they want to make it their business. nobody can force anybody to do anything by words or text they say or post on the internet but yet people still try to be influential. so i dont get what your number 4 is supposed to mean because hypocritically its none of your business and you cant tell me what to do.

hitstun or no hitstun ddds chain grab would be just as good if not better if hitstun was involved. its not about the hitstun which makes his grab so good its the mechanics of it. the throw keeps most characters on the ground, and the little hitstun there is prevents them from escpaing ddds next grab. metaknight and a few other characters cant be chaingrabbed by ddd because of the lack of hitstun, if hitstun was involved those characters would be stunned by the throw and everybody could be chain grabbed by ddd. so this arguement youve already lost. metaknight would be even better if there was hitstun because you wouldnt be able to airdodge out of his combos or avoid his edgeguarding. snakes second hit of his ftilt or toon links fsmash couldnt be powershielded if there was hitstun. you couldnt DI out of ness forwardB if there wasnt hitstun. game and watchs down throw to dsmash would be unstoppable against all characters if there wasnt hitstun. by adding a significant amount of hitstun to brawl there would be signifcant problems because characters that are the best would be even better. metaknight would truly be broken (if characters were stunned after his down throw it would probably turn into a chain grab).

o and on 1, yah i like to start arguements.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
SOUNDS MOAR LIKE AN ARGUMENT STARTER THAN ENDER TO ME

We should talk about Melee vs. Brawl.
Want to talk about Melee vs. Brawl?
Let's talk about Melee vs. Brawl.
Sigma I love you in the gayest way a straight guy can.

Shears, you're borderline flaming and spamming, thus, I see no reason in caring to see what you say anymore.

"I hate the game that was considered the best of the three but I love the uber broken ones."

(BTW, I'm becoming a HUGE FAN of the ignore list. It's being updated as you read this.)

Shiekah

Smash Cadet
Ok, ive got hombrew installed, ocarina installed and its all good. I do have 1 final question though, once everything is installed is there any danger in having my Gamecube memory card in when booting brawl from homebrew? Ive looked around and apparantly you shouldnt have your cube card in.

GofG

Smash Champion
The hardcore <snip>

<snip>

That's cool. I'm neutral on tripping. I'm not for it or against it. You can debate that with someone who IS a supporter of it. Because I'm just someone who accepts it without making a fuss.

I just think people are overreacting in resorting to hacks in order to "fix" a game that isn't really very broken.... at least not any moreso than Melee was...
Ignoring Foxy's analogies, tripping cannot possibly make the game better, and has a chance of making the game worse, and can be eliminated (fixed) with relative ease in about 8 minutes.

We aren't "resorting to hacks" to fix the game, hacks are the easiest way of modifying the game (the alternative being sneaking into Nintendo's base of operations and, like the ninja, swiftly thieving a copy of the source code of Brawl and recompiling from source after making the (un?)necessary modifications). If we can do something that does nothing but improve the game with no side effects but sheer improvement, why wouldn't we do it?

Also, if you think that Brawl is no more broken then Melee, I'm forced to conclude that you don't have much experience with Melee. Prove me wrong, please.

In response to your "Sakurai doesn't hate the competitive scene", you might have put up an argument against the quotes, but... the removal of hitstun, the removal of l-canceling, the easier-to-perform and taller shorthops, the incredible recovery given to every character, the addition of tripping, the p2p online system, the overall gravity decrease making for a floatier game... All are things which Sakurai directly implemented in the game and have made the game have a much shorter learning curve and a much lower skill ceiling, not to mention shrinking the gap between the scrub and the pro to almost nothing.

You MIGHT be able to argue that all of these things don't affect competitive gameplay as much as we think they do, but if Sakurai truly understands that the competitive gamers kept Melee alive for as long as it was alive, why wouldn't he be making additions to the game that blatantly obviously appealed to the competitive scene?

I, along with people who understand this game much better than you do (Gimpyfish, Scar, M2K to name a few) propose that Sakurai's goal was to make a game where everyone wins.

A party game, not a fighter.

The quotes do nothing but corroborate with this.

GofG

Smash Champion
No, I didn't. I am referencing Web 2.0 websites that have a comment rating system, where when they get to a certain negative value the comment is hidden from view and replaced with "This comment is below your viewing threshold".

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
No, I didn't. I am referencing Web 2.0 websites that have a comment rating system, where when they get to a certain negative value the comment is hidden from view and replaced with "This comment is below your viewing threshold".
Those exist? that is so awesome... maybe more than no tripping itself.

Do you have an example of a website of this kind so that I can see for myself?

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I'm surprised there's even a serious argument for using this hack as the standard for Brawl tournies. Do I really have to break it down into simple logistical terms here?

1. The majority of Wiis at tournaments are brought by the players themselves, meaning that their content is, for better or worse, out of the control of the TOs. This means you can't guarantee every Wii brought in will have this hack.
2. This brings me to my next point of someone hacking the game so that their character has a slight advantage. I mean, what could you do to prove it? If it was a slight enough advantage, no one might notice. Then again, someone might accuse every player they play of having played on a hacked game. How do you check then? The only way to really do it would be to look at the code or put two Wiis and TVs side-to-side and play them simultaneously to see what happens. Should we stop a tournament just to corroborate this? Brawl tournies last long enough as it is.
3. This hack appears to cost more money. Not everyone has an SD card and homebrew stuff (I don't know how much that stuff costs). Less incentive for people to buy it the necessary tools and implement it.
4. Not everyone has a non-firmware-upgraded Wii. Many people also don't want to risk bricking their Wii. People aren't very inclined to modding their Wiis anyway.
5. Whatever you may or may not say, this DOES open a slippery slope. People will think up legitimate reasons to change other things (I have a few I'd like to add myself, but I'll keep them to my own thoughts), so should we not consider their ideas which could be very legitimate? Someone cited a Battlefield 1942 mod, but that's a mod for a PC game. Battlefield 1942 was designed to be moddable, and it's in no way a serious medium for tournaments.

It's not that I don't like this hack. It's pretty cool that the OP even managed to figure it out, to be honest. But to those trying to support this as the tournament standard, it's not feasible, for better or for worse.

GofG

Smash Champion
Those exist? that is so awesome... maybe more than no tripping itself.

Do you have an example of a website of this kind so that I can see for myself?
Youtube. Digg. Slashdot.

I'm surprised there's even a serious argument for using this hack as the standard for Brawl tournies. Do I really have to break it down into simple logistical terms here?

1. The majority of Wiis at tournaments are brought by the players themselves, meaning that their content is, for better or worse, out of the control of the TOs. This means you can't guarantee every Wii brought in will have this hack.
2. This brings me to my next point of someone hacking the game so that their character has a slight advantage. I mean, what could you do to prove it? If it was a slight enough advantage, no one might notice. Then again, someone might accuse every player they play of having played on a hacked game. How do you check then? The only way to really do it would be to look at the code or put two Wiis and TVs side-to-side and play them simultaneously to see what happens. Should we stop a tournament just to corroborate this? Brawl tournies last long enough as it is.
3. This hack appears to cost more money. Not everyone has an SD card and homebrew stuff (I don't know how much that stuff costs). Less incentive for people to buy it the necessary tools and implement it.
4. Not everyone has a non-firmware-upgraded Wii. Many people also don't want to risk bricking their Wii. People aren't very inclined to modding their Wiis anyway.
5. Whatever you may or may not say, this DOES open a slippery slope. People will think up legitimate reasons to change other things (I have a few I'd like to add myself, but I'll keep them to my own thoughts), so should we not consider their ideas which could be very legitimate? Someone cited a Battlefield 1942 mod, but that's a mod for a PC game. Battlefield 1942 was designed to be moddable, and it's in no way a serious medium for tournaments.

It's not that I don't like this hack. It's pretty cool that the OP even managed to figure it out, to be honest. But to those trying to support this as the tournament standard, it's not feasible, for better or for worse.
1. This particular hack is extremely easy to apply. Read the thread before you post.
2. Right now the number of people who are knowledgable enough about RAM hacking to hack brawl and are also competitive brawl players can be counted on less than half of one hand. On top of that, only one code has been released and it's not like it's hard to tell if a game has been modded; you have to boot it up differently, through the HBC, rather than straight from the game. This is a case of read the thread before you post.
3. SD cards ship with Wii's nowadays, and you can get a 32 meg SD card for under a dollar, which is about 2000x the space you need for this hack. Also, nearly every camera made comes with an SD card.
4. A legitimate gripe, the answer to which is stuff like the final match is played on the TO's wii which he has risked for the good of the community, and no one else has to risk bricking their wii (although Bushing and his crew assure us that Nintendo would never brick a wii if you haven't actually performed hardware alterations to it, i.e. modchip)
5. There are many changes we'd wish to implement, but as I have stated over and over before, if a change is made that somehow breaks the game, it simply won't catch on. You have nothing to worry about. Also, my BF1942 example was to show that most developers of modern games at least acknowledge that competitive players understand their games better than they do, as is the case with quite a few competitive games today (Melee comes to mind, as does Brawl). Also, what makes the DC mod of BF1942 not a serious medium for tournaments? Every BF1942 tourney has been on DC.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
*sigh*

Fine, stick to your arguments. It obviously will not make a difference.

And while this mod is really cool, it won't become mainstream and it won't be accepted as the tournament standard. The console gamer culture is very different from the PC gamer culture; one is far more willing to experiment and change the game than the other.

Zamuel

Smash Cadet
I personally don't own a Wii yet but as TO I'll be looking to implementing this when I get the money for everything required.

edit: Also, how does this effect stages with ice? While the Summit is obviously banned, I do have a few cage match style custom stages that have ice on them.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
no hitstun is not the reason i hate melee. i dont believe hitstun should be taken out of brawl because it is a completely different game and the lack of hitstun is an element which seperates it from melee.

i dont like tripping, i think its stupid but i dont think brawl should be changed. so i would bite the bullet and keep tripping to keep brawl how it is. i said the only thing i think should be changed is tripping, because its not in any other games it makes no sense to put it in brawl. no game is perfect and i think mainly that is the problem with brawl, but whatever i can tolerate it (some people obviously cant).

your number 4 is stupid, none of anything is anybodys business but people still argue and try to involve themselves in discussion because they want to make it their business. nobody can force anybody to do anything by words or text they say or post on the internet but yet people still try to be influential. so i dont get what your number 4 is supposed to mean because hypocritically its none of your business and you cant tell me what to do.

hitstun or no hitstun ddds chain grab would be just as good if not better if hitstun was involved. its not about the hitstun which makes his grab so good its the mechanics of it. the throw keeps most characters on the ground, and the little hitstun there is prevents them from escpaing ddds next grab. metaknight and a few other characters cant be chaingrabbed by ddd because of the lack of hitstun, if hitstun was involved those characters would be stunned by the throw and everybody could be chain grabbed by ddd. so this arguement youve already lost. metaknight would be even better if there was hitstun because you wouldnt be able to airdodge out of his combos or avoid his edgeguarding. snakes second hit of his ftilt or toon links fsmash couldnt be powershielded if there was hitstun. you couldnt DI out of ness forwardB if there wasnt hitstun. game and watchs down throw to dsmash would be unstoppable against all characters if there wasnt hitstun. by adding a significant amount of hitstun to brawl there would be signifcant problems because characters that are the best would be even better. metaknight would truly be broken (if characters were stunned after his down throw it would probably turn into a chain grab).

o and on 1, yah i like to start arguements.
Your numbers 1-3 are vague but at least I understand your perspective. #4 was because I couldn't figure out why you were arguing XD.

The thing that REALLY confuses me is your lack of the knowledge of hitstun and how absolutely stupid it makes you sound (in nice terms). If there was hitstun, other characters would have chaingrabs, making ddd's less incredible. He COULD NOT chaingrab all characters, because the ones that he can't chaingrab can already tech the dthrow, which means that hitstun wouldn't matter on it. DDD's cg doesn't work on the concept of normal hitstun because they are on the ground. The same concept applies to toon link's f smash and snake's f-tilt. METAKNIGHT WOULD NOT BE BUFFED because of hitstun. The only combos he truly has involve u-air to other things at low percent. He has slow airspeed and therefore a lot of other characters would be better than him. The reason he is so incredible in brawl is because he has almost 0-lag on most of his attacks, making him incredibly hard to punish. Of course with l-cancelling in melee there were characters like this as well. What did people do? They spaced and as soon as they found a small opening they comboed like crazy, punishing the small mistake. Because of the lag of hitstun in brawl, you can only punish that single opening with 1 maybe 2 hits, making metaknight so incredible.

Now, the fact that you think that you wouldn't be able to DI out of Ness side-b shows that you simply shouldn't be arguing on this topic. You can DI during the hitstun of attacks, therefore you could get out of it just like in the no hitstun environment now. The reason gw can dthrow-dsmash characters is because they bounce off the ground and are (too small???) and don't touch the ground again in time to roll away. This has nothing to do with hitstun, plus the characters that he CAN do it on can tech it anyway! About the metaknight d-throw cg, IF IT WAS EVEN IMPOSSIBLE TO DI OUT OF, which I doubt it would be, seeing as you can pretty much DI into the ground so that you can spotdodge it. And, even if there were some people who couldn't escape it, it would only be at very low percents.

Revven

FrankerZ
Ok, ive got hombrew installed, ocarina installed and its all good. I do have 1 final question though, once everything is installed is there any danger in having my Gamecube memory card in when booting brawl from homebrew? Ive looked around and apparantly you shouldnt have your cube card in.
No, it will only just stop you from using the HBC and Ocarina properly. Take them out and they're now usable, nothing bad will happen if you have them in BUT you just won't be able to use them because Ocarina thinks the memory cards are a USB Gecko. You can still use them if you're planning not to boot from the HBC or Ocarina.

And guys, I really think the discussion of its tournament viability shouldn't be in here. I know the other thread got closed, but, can we keep it out of this one so this doesn't get closed? I'd like to keep at least one thread about the no tripping code open...

Revven

FrankerZ
So there is a mod which allows your SD card to be read directly, and this uses that?
Interesting
lol. Yeah, it does, except it isn't a mod and none of this is a mod. It's an application, it's really cool. Of course, your SD Card is disabled when you boot from Ocarina so, taking it out to stop the codes doesn't stop them and you can't save anything to the SD Card (much less watch stuff like replays). You have to exit out of Brawl and go back in without booting from it in order to use the SD Card again. It is only disabled when you boot from Ocarina.

Warioware

Smash Rookie
I dont know what call to make on this..... no tripping would be great and all but it is super smash brothers brawl and not melee so I mean we shouldn't try to change gameplay back to the way it was, even so tripping is just a part of the game now so we should just deal with it instead of trying to change the game.... butif someone wants to take it out thats fine I dont see it making too big of a difference at times

Foxy

Smash Master
holy crap wtf omg what is this I don't even ¯\(ºдಠ)/¯

The hardcore drive the gaming industry. Not the casuals. You should know this. Why do you think Nintendo came under heavy fire for their extremely lackluster E3 showing? Every professional media outlet has criticized Nintendo for taking a too extreme approach towards changing demographic.
The hardcore crowd drives the industry but doesn't have the potential for sales as the casual crowd, as Nintendo has PROVEN. Nintendo has the most successful console by far this generation with almost not a single game catered to just the hardcore crowd.

Plus, you can't say that the hardcore players are a powerful majority just because media expressed some of their concerns. E3 is a convention and it's unlikely casual players will even watch it and the coverage will be targeted towards the hardcore. Of course they're going to criticize Nintendo's direction.

http://kotaku.com/346135/halo-3-beats-out-wii-play-for-best-selling-video-game-of-2007

Notice how "Wii Play without Remote" is nowhere on that list. I think we all know why it's even there in the first place. And take a gander at the rest of the titles; who's the main demographic for those?
A very hyped game targeted towards a competitive audience will indeed produce huge sales such as Halo 3, however, notice how Wii Play almost sold as much as Halo 3? That's almost absurd... but it shows that the casual crowd is a serious force for earnings.

The fact that Brawl was actually very hyped among hardcore crowds and the fact that Sakurai didn't cater to them should be proof that he ignores competitive gaming even when it could be very profitable.

Nintendo continues to focus on casuals NOT because they buy the most, but because they WANT them too, because that will double or triple their demographic.
Casuals DO buy the most. Nintendo is a very smart company. You want to see some statistics?

http://nexgenwars.com/

Nintendo's in first with almost zero attention to competitive gamers. Wow, those casuals must actually be a good demographic to target!

You're crazy if you think Sakurai wants to abolish the competitive community.
If you talked to Sakurai this moment about it the conversation would go like this:

"Sakurai, what do you think of the competitive community for Smash Brothers Melee and Brawl?"
"...competitive community? I think that would be taking my games too far. They're only party games for people to enjoy with their friends."
"Well, it exists."
"If it does, then I don't support it. I'm not a fan of anything involving two players or teams facing off, in direct opposition, to crown one winner and one loser. I believe that everyone should be able to win and that everyone should be rewarded for having their heart in the fight. It would make me sad to see people trying to compete with a game I made."

All the articles you refer to, all the interviews, have Sakurai strictly talking about an online ranking system. He doesn't want the casual players to realize they suck, because that would be BAD for the game's word-of-mouth. They want those players to keep living in oblivion, keep thinking they're good, thus keep thinking that the game is great and spreading the word about how good the game is.
Er... thanks, I guess, for confirming that you've never read anything Sakurai's written about his game development. He's almost never written specifically about an online rankings system because he wouldn't even consider it. He has, however, talked about the lack of communication online (which in itself is more proof that he worked against competition) and how he did so to provide a safer, lighter, and more fun environment for kids playing with Wi-Fi. Competitive, my ***.

Conversely, he WANTS the hardcore to organize tournaments OFFLINE because that creates huge advertising due to use of it in leagues and tourneys requirement for venues. Online rankings would reduce the need for those, and why would the developer want to give up that kind of exposure?

What, you think the casuals were the ones who made Melee get taken up by the MLG?

Seriously, it's just good business.

People need to stop being paranoid and start seeing things objectively.
AWRGHGMG NOOOOOOO ARWMGMGMGMG NOOOOOOOOOO

I'm not sure if I can take this anymore. I guess I can cut you some slack for being a March 08'er and for being able to write competently, but... wow.

How the hell do offline tournaments create HUGE ADVERTISING? Competitive Smash, especially before the influx of Brawlers, is a very small niche. There are about 120,000 members on Smashboards. That basically encompasses everyone who even knows that a competitive scene exists and tournaments are held. Now, I'll take a wild guess and say that about a third of those people actually attend tournaments (it's probably much lower). That's 40,000. 40,000 people who play competitively and another 80,000 who hear about it. That isn't going to get sales anywhere. Our community is very discrete, tournaments are not advertised or flaunted, there's no way it would be very beneficial for Nintendo.

Contrarily, online rankings give a whole lot more advertising because there are a lot more players with access to Wi-Fi than the amount that travels to tournaments. Already, the first season of the MLG ladders for Brawl singles attracted 6,652 players. Wi-Fi wars has 2,131 players registered on their ladder. There are 5,882 players registered on Smash Brawl Rankings. Together, that's 14,665 players, which is already over a third of my estimate of how many people play Melee competitively. Brawl's been out for months, Melee's been out for years. I think we can assume that online rankings are very beneficial for the game's popularity.

For a while, when I was a young noob, I too believed that competitive Smash (or the competitive scene for anything but Halo, World of Warcraft, and Starcraft) was a source of exposure and revenue for Nintendo that they would acknowledge and exists symbiotically with. However, that belief has been reduced to a dream for myself and all other competitive Smashers. We would love if Nintendo saw our success in playing their games so goddarn seriously and in holding these tournaments, but they seem to hardly know we exist. (I mean, honestly, they held a tournament once and it was FFA.)

You're going to have to do more than just give me your version to make that credible. As I said before, look at all the tourney videos that are on YouTube. Notice how none of them are decently affected by tripping? Those are tourney vids. I'd much rather base my opinion off of videos of matches that actually mattered. If tripping didn't affect any of them then, statistically speaking, it must not be as big a deal as some people make it out to be.

I know better than to use my own experiences with the game as a baseline for these conclusions.

All your "examples" of how my logic is flawed aren't actually showcasing my logic at all.

This would be more appropriate use of my logic:
"I can play 55 out 56 games with tripping having little effect on my game, therefore tripping has very little impact on the game as a whole and I would be overreacting if I thought otherwise."
Yes, tripping doesn't happen very often and yes, rarely are matches skewed by it. Most people, including myself, have never made a bug fuss about it because it really is just a tiny annoyance and the largest attention is ever got was that it's the best example of why Brawl is bad.

BUT... just because it's a small issue doesn't mean that we shouldn't remove it if we can with zero downsides, with perfectly predicted side-effects (of which there are none), and without costing anyone time or money.

This may seem like an opening to argue that if applied to other aspects of the game I'm basically saying that anything small that we don't like we can remove. Well, no. Tripping is absolutely unique in that when we remove it we are not even touching the game's balancing nor are we affecting any other aspects. Tripping only serves to randomly screw you over, and it doesn't effect playstyles because an approach knowing that tripping exists is exactly the same as an approach with tripping removed.

You succeed in buying drugs 9 out of 10 times because you know how to avoid and get past the cops. You do that well because the cops MAKE you do it well.
So if you knew a better, safer location to buy drugs at you wouldn't use it because the current spot is one you've been using for a long time (even though it also happens to be an occasional hang-out place for crime fighters)?

You succeed in blocking so many shots because you attempt to block them all, the players who shoot the ball at you leave you with no choice but to be good.
So if you could coach your defense to learn to stop good players' offenses, you wouldn't since your defense couldn't do so when you started playing with the team?

You don't succeed in having a good game because tripping forced you to be good. There's no correlation between tripping and your ability to be good at the game.
This is a good few sentences and it seems out of place with our opinion, although I know what you're trying to say with it in this refutation.

That's why your examples were terrible. There's enormous correlation between you needing to be good at getting under the cops because they exist and will arrest you otherwise. There's enormous correlation between you needing to be good at blocking those shots because people are shooting at you and will score otherwise.

There's no correlation with you needing to be good at Brawl because there's tripping in the game and you'll suck otherwise. You don't strive to be good because tripping exists. You strive to be good because cops and strikers exist, though. See the difference in my logic and the logic you thought I had?
You did a really good job or ruining my examples, but unfortunately you missed the point of them. It's not about anything but the fact that each of the situations I presented had something non-beneficial that happened with a low chance, like tripping. They could have been examples of any similar situation, maybe one that you would accept, but my point was that if there's something negative happening, even if it occurs rarely, the chance to remove the fear of it happening with no downsides and no side-effects should be taken.

It actually does make it a worse game. Have you ever seen a fighter before that employed tripping? Why do you think that is?

I'll give you a hint: it's not because Sakurai is a brilliant visionary.

But you're not willing to hear other people's opinions unless it fits your ideal vision of the game.
And in this case your own vision is based on a lack of experience. Go to a few tournaments (unless you can't) and soon you'll understand a whole lot more about what competitive Smash is and means.

I invite you to go back and read my posts and find me EVER saying that I support tripping. Cause you won't find it. All you'll find is me saying that there's an overreaction to it and I don't think that reaction is as needed as people make it out to be. Because I'm neutral.
Alright. I'll admit that I made an assumption that you were opposed to the removal of tripping rather than just pointing out the overreaction and I apologize for that. I won't discuss whether tripping is good or not with you anymore.

EDIT: loooool my poasts r 2 big gais shud i get n operashun

Omis

my friends were skinny
I am planning to install the homebrew this weekend but I was wondering if there are anyother codes currently availble. Nothing like no tripping but some of the cool stuff like infinite second jumps and final smashes whenever you want them.

Revven

FrankerZ
I am planning to install the homebrew this weekend but I was wondering if there are anyother codes currently availble. Nothing like no tripping but some of the cool stuff like infinite secing jumps and finall smashes whenever you want them.
Yes, there are. If you go here you will see a whole bunch of codes gathered up by meleemaster500.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
This should be nifty to try out if I ever get an SD card...

...or a way to read SD cards :(

Anyone have any advice on what to do about that? I have a mac and it apparently doesn't support SD cards.

Foxy

Smash Master

Anyone have any advice on what to do about that? I have a mac and it apparently doesn't support SD cards.
Do you have a camera that uses an SD card and can you transfer photos onto your Mac with a cable or something?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Ok now is where the fun begins. Your link proved very useful and I have now got the boot.elf for the homebrew channel on my SD card. The problem now is that I have the 3.3E update on my wii so I wont be able to use the twilight hack in order to install the channel. I do have the wad installer though so my question is, is it possible to install the homebrew channel on your wii after updating your wii to 3.3? If it is then how? :)
I have 3.3 as well, the newest version of the Twilight Hack should work with it.

Exactly. They have changed towards the casuals, E3 proved that to anyone who didn't already realize that. The signs were there long before, they're still here, but most people needed E3 to wake them up.

And 90% of those games, casuals would buy too. The Wii's sales prove that casual gamers have taken over by themselves. Why do you think the Wii is kicking so much *** this generation? Not because more fans switched to Nintendo, hardly so after many people being disappointed by last generation and moving to Sony or Microsoft. Because the casual gamers saw "Oooh, motion sensor" and thought the Wii would be cool. The Wii got rave reviews. Many people (not me, unfortunately) saw that motion sensor was a gimmick from the start. Casuals tend to enjoy gimmicks. Hardcore players don't.

Wii Play without Wiimote isn't on there because...I don't think Wii Play is sold in many other ways, except if it's used. Fact is, despite the fact that Wii Play is casual, casuals won't necessarily buy it without a Wiimote because even for them it's not a $50 game. It's worth the $50 if it comes packaged with a $40 Wiimote. I'm sure even casuals bought that just for the Wiimote. Keep in mind that, at the time Wii Play came out, you could not find a Wiimote for your life. I remember I was searching for a Wiimote and bought Wii Play at Toys 'R' Us because it was the only place I could get a second Wiimote. So yeah, even casuals will buy it with the Wiimote.

Guitar Hero is not hardcore. Hardcore gamers play it, it's a title that goes towards both parties, but it's just as gimmicky as motion sensor in reality. So yeah, Guitar Hero would be on there. It's a rhythm/music game. That's not a true video game. Whether or not you enjoy it, you have to admit it's hardly a normal video game.

Super Mario Galaxy was dumbed down for casuals. Notice how it was easy. And it's Mario, it's Nintendo's big shining title, so they're going to buy it anyways. Metroid and Zelda are different types of franchises, but Mario has always been the type of game anyone can pick up.

As for Pokemon, everyone in the Poke Center knows this well; the Pokemon games are being dumbed down for little kids. Otherwise more Pokemon wouldn't get added every game, and the number of "legendary" Pokemon wouldn't increase every game. You think the older fans like seeing tons of big, legendary Pokemon? No, that's a little kid thing. Little kids are casuals most of the time, at least these days.

Madden isn't hardcore either, I don't think I need to explain that one.

Mario Party clearly isn't hardcore.

Some of those games appeal to hardcore gamers in franchise. But then we bought the game and got screwed because it was dumbed down. Nintendo makes more money off of casual gamers, I don't know how you can even argue that. I thought this was a known fact by everyone at this point.

Nintendo continues to focus on casuals NOT because they buy the most, but because they WANT them too, because that will double or triple their demographic. You're crazy if you think Sakurai wants to abolish the competitive community.

Hey, did you even LOOK at my post? Or are you choosing to ignore it?

1. Ensuring that every Wii has the code on would take about five seconds. Either the TO has their own set of SD Cards to use, or they take everyone's SD Card, connects it to the computer and sets the code to the SD Card. You cannot change the codes without a computer, so as long as the TO supervises the SD Card it would be a cinch.
2. See number one. It'd be impossible for someone to do something like this if the TO supervises SD Cards. Plus, the Attack/Defense ratio alterations are player specific. Unless someone knows what player they'll be in advance, they could end up giving the advantage to their opponent, so they'd be stupid to even try that.
3. Costs $3.67 for a cheap SD Card reader, you can find SD Cards for $20 or less (less in most cases, you can find small ones for less than a buck as GofG pointed out). Then there's Twilight Princess, which costs $50 but you can spend a few bucks and rent it if you don't already have it, which you probably should. Other than that, it's free downloads.
4. You can have firmware 3.3, I do. Even when they upgrade it again the people who make the Twilight Hack will most likely be able to make another version of the hack which allows you to install it again. As for modding it, no, not everyone will want to mod their Wii but you don't have to. I'm sure there will still be tripping tournaments out there, and even in no tripping ones, just say you won't mod your Wii. Maybe you can't participate in certain tournaments if they need more Wiis and not enough people are, but that can be worked around.
5. The difference is that tripping has NO side effects whatsoever. Hitstun, L-Cancelling, directional air dodging, etc. do. So the argument will not be as plausible.

*sigh*

Fine, stick to your arguments. It obviously will not make a difference.

And while this mod is really cool, it won't become mainstream and it won't be accepted as the tournament standard. The console gamer culture is very different from the PC gamer culture; one is far more willing to experiment and change the game than the other.
I hate people that come into this thread, post counters to the code being a tournament standard and then when we counter them they just give up and say that we won't make a difference.

And yes, the PC gamer culture may be more willing. Maybe the console community should stop being so close-minded and open themselves to modding as long as it's completely lacking of side-effects.

edit: Also, how does this effect stages with ice? While the Summit is obviously banned, I do have a few cage match style custom stages that have ice on them.
Zero tripping save for attack-caused tripping (e.g. ROB dtilt, Diddy's Bananas), so it would be no tripping on ice stages unless a trip-inducing attack is used.

I dont know what call to make on this..... no tripping would be great and all but it is super smash brothers brawl and not melee so I mean we shouldn't try to change gameplay back to the way it was, even so tripping is just a part of the game now so we should just deal with it instead of trying to change the game.... butif someone wants to take it out thats fine I dont see it making too big of a difference at times
OH MY GOD.

STOP IT WITH THE "This isn't Melee" ARGUMENT.

It's not Melee? NO ****. Tripping should not be something that identifies Brawl, though. It should not be something that sets it apart from Melee.

Removing tripping doesn't make it Melee. We're trying to remove a stupid feature that both Melee and SSB64 just happened to not have. That's because Sakurai wasn't such an idiot back then.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Right beforre I left to buy it i realized that I has a problem. How do you put the codes on?
Once you download the Ocarina, there should be a folder called "hbc" and a folder called "pc". In the PC folder, there's a program called "codemgr", which is the code manager.

For the rest, I'll quote my guide from a few pages back.

Open the Code Manager. In the top left-hand corner, in the little box where it says "Game ID" enter "RSBE01". Click "Add a code/comment/category" in the bottom left-hand corner. Enter the name of the code -- in this case, "No Tripping", and click OK. In the white space above that button you clicked, there should be, at the top, "No Tripping" should be there. Highlight it and then click in the box that says "Code Contents" and paste

0481CB34 C0220020
045A9340 00000000

in there. Click "Store Modifications" on the bottom, and then "Export to GCT", also on the bottom. (Make sure your SD Card is connected to your PC at the moment) Click "Store" (not "Store to File", simply "Store") in the window that pops up. Make sure Brawl is in your Wii. Now, put your SD Card in your Wii, start up the Homebrew Channel, load up the Ocarina, and press A when it prompts you to on the black screen. It should then load up Brawl, and "No Tripping" should be enabled.

Hope that helped.

Revven

FrankerZ

I have a Mac and I use it for the codes and what not. All you need is an SD Card Reader compatible with Macs. I suggest going to newegg.com for cheap SD Card Readers and cheap SD Cards that work for Mac as well as Windows. As long as you have a USB port/HUB, you're all set.

As far as being able to use codes on a Mac, there's a script out there that converts your plain text file (made in textedit) to .gct and you can put that in the codes folder in your SD Card.

Let me know when you get an SD Card or SD Card Reader and I'll help you along with getting codes on your SD Card. :)

Top Bottom