• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No such thing as a noob tactic.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I hear it all the time.
"<This> is a noob tactic"
"<That> is a noob tactic"

What defines a "noob tactic"?
That a new/inexperienced player uses them? That's not very credible.
One particular thing that a new/inexperienced--
(I'm not going to use the term "noob", it feels like some sort of a slur now...)
--player would do wrong is overusing a tactic, mistaking it's overall effectiveness, but beginner overuse of a tactic does not make it a "noob tactic".
Some would argue that a "noob tactic" is one that is not effective at all, but that doesn't make it so, that is what is called a "bad (or ineffective) tactic" if anyone would argue that it's a tactic at all.
Is simplicity taken into account?
Does that make a "noob tactic", if it's simple? Well, a "simple tactic" already has a name, and anyone at any level of skill can, will and probably has used a simple tactic.

Just use it, if it's overused, don't use it so much.
If it works, use it.

Discuss.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
when I play melee the game often says I got cheap KOs after the match.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
A tactic is a tactic. Hands down. No ands/ifs/buts about it.

NOW. Descriptions to a tactic, those are all opinion based and subjective.

/thread

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I usually see such a line from someone when they john. I just shake it off and continue.

Smash Master
A noob tactic is an ineffective tactic that noobs use. Usually very high risk, high reward stuff or stuff that works on CPUs. Charging Ike's f-smash when the opponent is not in the vicinity is a noob tactic. Rolling behind someone is a noob tactic.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Rolling behind someone is such a noob tactic that it throws better players off because they go "Ugh wtf, wasn't expecting that because it's generally a noob tactic." Counter mindgamed.

Enough jokes, spamming usmash with Lucas is a true noob tactic.

BlueFoxXT

Smash Journeyman
Wolf: Laserlaserlaser fsmash random dsmashes, rolrolrolllll

Pit: SideB Arrowarrowarrow fsmash

Kirby: jumpjumpjumpjumpjump rock

Ike: Spam B moves and fsmash

MK (a bit more rare now but you still see it around): nadonadonadonadonado

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
A 'noob tactic' is a mistake you make because you don't know any better.

Screwing the pooch even though you know better is pro.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I generally class a 'N00b tactic' as a tactic that is ineffective and unwise against good players, but incredibly effective against inexperienced players often giving the user an unfair advantage.
Like the tactics that 1048576 and BlueFoxXT described.

So when you hear johns about the opponant using 'n00b tactics', it just shows others that you are inexperienced.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
A noob tactic can be seen as a tactic that isn't very rewarding or just silly compared to another, better tactic. Newbies tend not to know much, making them use the basics of the game as a tactic--which seems noobish to the higher players.

noob tactic = one that isn't that great

SothE700k

Smash Lord
noob tactic:
Ike --> F-smash, F-smash, F-smash, F-smash, F-smash, F-smash, F-smash, F-smash...
Captain Falcon --> FALLLCAWWN PAWWNCH!!! FALLLCAWWN PAWWNCH!!! FALLLCAWWN PAWWNCH!!! FALLLCAWWN PAWWNCH!!! FALLLCAWWN PAWWNCH!!! FALLLCAWWN PAWWNCH!!!...
Are we getting the hint here?

Geist

Smash Master
Some would argue that a "noob tactic" is one that is not effective at all, but that doesn't make it so, that is what is called a "bad (or ineffective) tactic" if anyone would argue that it's a tactic at all.
Some would argue that "bad" or "ineffective" is synonymous with "noob".

A tactic is a planning towards a specific goal, so if it's ineffective, it's still a tactic. A noob tactic would probably be best defined with spamming fsmash across the stage, because it is a tactic used by inexperienced players.

gusiskirby

Smash Rookie
Rolling behind someone is such a noob tactic that it throws better players off because they go "Ugh wtf, wasn't expecting that because it's generally a noob tactic." Counter mindgamed.

Enough jokes, spamming usmash with Lucas is a true noob tactic.

Hm... I never thought rolling behind someone was a noob tactic. Granted, it doesn't help much, but most players I've fought just do the same right back to me. Of course I don't really know very many (or any) pros.

goodkid

Smash Lord
A noob tactic is an ineffective tactic that noobs use. Usually very high risk, high reward stuff or stuff that works on CPUs. Charging Ike's f-smash when the opponent is not in the vicinity is a noob tactic. Rolling behind someone is a noob tactic.
rolling behind someone is not a noob tactic. It depends on the situation, & if u begin the match rolling behind, it will probably be unexpected since "competitive players" don't usually roll behind. Its stupid to roll right in front of somebody which I've seen in a lot of vids. Not every noob does the same thing over & over, some noobs are really good & random. They just are mostly unaware of it, but I can see what u mean about noob tactics, since they aren't used by "competitive players," but they work. I used to think my friend was a "noob" because he didn't know how to short-hop & use the mainstream techniques but after I talked to him about how he noticed me repeating the same moves/strategy over & over. Noobs really just know the basics better :p thats why they do soo well

Foofshenheimer

Smash Cadet
I think what is typically meant by a newb tactic is a very spamtastic style of play using exclusively one move, typically a "B button" move pikachu's down b and kirbys down b for example.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Noob tactics are tactics that only work on noobs. Those tactics all revolve around ignorance and luck than skill and timing.

Spamming smash attacks for example is a noob tactic because anyone who knows what they are doing will punish that player in a heartbeat.

tekkie

Smash Master
It's something a noob discovers will work on other noobs and maybe someone decent once or twice.

Example: Toon Link. Jump, Double Jump to position over opponent, down air. Several people I know got into this habit. It's like they default to it if there's nothing else to do. It's obnoxiously predictable. Hey, they jumped twice. Looks like it's time for dair again. *spotdodge, smash attack*.

I really don't get how so many people get into that.

The_Prince

Smash Cadet
Some tactics are just plain worse than others. Noob tactics are the bad ones. However, even good players will always use some kind of noob tactic (the worse choice for the situation). It just so happens that noobs tend to use a noob tactic for just about every situation.

James1119

Smash Cadet
A "noob" tactic is just any tactic that's simple.. Usually it's called a noob tactic when someone uses it over and over.. Example: A person uses metaknight and only does the "B" attack... I hate it when people say "noob" for the most part...

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Noob tactics are tactics that are fairly simple to do and very mindless, usually involving heavy abuse on one or two moves, that in the middle and professional level have almost no trouble going around and punishing.

Such tactics are...:
Falcon punch spamming
Tornado Spamming
Laser Spamming
Olimar Pikmin throw spamming
Pit arrow and AR spamming (unless the Pit character actually knows how to use the arrows....)
C-stick spazzing...
Stall and fall abuse...
and the list goes on.....

The key thing though is that the tactic is usually being done mindlessly. Some tactics that may seem like spamming may still be viable tactics to use in the higher levels of gameplay, such as Pit's arrows and lasers. You mustn't get noob tactics mixed up with tactics that higher level players use that may be frustrating even though they may involve one or two moves because they are usually planned out and are being controlled fairly well by the smarter player so that they know when it is too dangerous to repeat the same tactic over and over again. This is why one shouldn't be ridiculed from using a good move if the situation calls for it over and over again if the player doing this tactic understands when the situation to use this move has ended.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
I only use the word "scrub" because its funny how many people don't know its meaning.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
same here.

Basic brawl is the scrub zoo.

Some people spam while others dont know how to recover.

:094:

illinialex24

Smash Hero
There are many noob tactics in Brawl.

Holding smashes with certain characters, using SH dancing blade a consistent approach meant to attack the opponent (its good for mindgames once in a while), using Sing or Jigglypuff's D-tilt. There are many because the game is so unbalanced.

Like attacking shield with Ganondorf's fair. Noob tactic. Free move.

Top Bottom