• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

JFox

Smash Hero
I was suggesting you make a triple post so that they are all next to each other and put each region in one of them so you can link to each region separately, but still have all of it together as if it were 'one giant post' still. So I'm saying yes, you could 'make one giant section, and than also have three smaller regional sections'.
Magus, I think I get what you are saying, but that doesn't work. When you click on the post, it separates the post from all others so that it is simply that individual post. So even if I made a triple post, the two above and below would not be there when you clicked on the link.

I think what I'm gonna have to do is just put them all into one giant post. (unless people prefer the way it is now)

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Is it possible for smashboards to create links that don't open a new window? I personally would prefer that, but otherwise I am impressed.

Impressed enough to consider writing a program to automate the creation of these pages. There is free software from Microsoft to create a linked directory of HTML files. The help menus for most software releases use it. I could fool with it and we could see if we can make a neat little webpage out of it.

JFox

Smash Hero
magus wins
I'm not an idiot, I thought of that already. I just don't like the way that looks. I'd rather have them all in a single post then to have it send you to a page full of posts, and than leave it up to the person to locate the three posts on that page. Someone who has never been to this finder before would click it, and be "like wtf this ain't no playa finda" and close out the browser.

And you can't even say "well just make it so that the triple post is on the top of the page" because people have different page settings. So some people haev like 10, posts per page, others have 40.

I really don't see why it's bad the way it is. :shrug: I guess I'll combine them all into one post.

Edit: What I actually COULD do if WoZ will let me is I can post a thread under the NJPlayerFinder name, than make a triple post there. Than WoZ will close it so no one can post. Than I can link it to the main thread, and also link it to each individual section. I think I'll go down that route.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I'm not an idiot, I thought of that already. I just don't like the way that looks. I'd rather have them all in a single post then to have it send you to a page full of posts, and than leave it up to the person to locate the three posts on that page. Someone who has never been to this finder before would click it, and be "like wtf this ain't no playa finda" and close out the browser.
No one's calling you an idiot; just that the original argument you made was that it wasn't possible, which was refuted

must be hard going through life thinking everyone is out to get you

JFox

Smash Hero
No one's calling you an idiot; just that the original argument you made was that it wasn't possible, which was refuted

must be hard going through life thinking everyone is out to get you
A) I never said it was impossible to do what Magus did. I said what was impossible was to link to three posts (and only three posts) at once.

B) Stop trying to start **** with people. My comment was not directed at you, it was at Magus who gave a simple, but non-helpful solution. It wasn't even a confrontational statement, and you try to make things out to be far more than they really are.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I started to develop feelings of missing NJ's smashers.

But then I realized I was to far from everyone and the tournaments/ never had a ride and I'm a 2 minute walk away from CunningKistune's dorm >.>

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
I just realised i was ranked 13th when did this happen? didn't even think i was going to be on this

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
nobody loves me anymore... i miss you guys spammerer did u realize your about a 5 minute bus ride away from me

and yes i realize i used the wrong your.... don't call the grammar police on me ok

Scar

#HarveyDent
DID SOMEONE CALL THE GRAMMAR POLICE?!?

Well it's confusing to quote me when you're directing your response to someone else.
I just realized I was ranked 13th, when did this happen? Didn't even think I was going to be on this.
There are only 15 "qualified" players. -_-
Nobody loves me anymore... I miss you guys. Spamerer, did u realize you're about a 5 minute bus ride away from me?
I'M CALLING THE GRAMMAR POLICE!
Rest easy, fellow SWF-goers. No one will get away with sub-par grammar and spelling while Scar's around!

mog87

Smash Ace
DID SOMEONE CALL THE GRAMMAR POLICE?!?

Rest easy, fellow SWF-goers. No one will get away with sub-par grammar and spelling while Scar's around!
Yo, I think your grammatical expertise is more necessary in NYC threads. Those dudes cant spell/type/form coherent paragraphs/. I think the task may too much for any one man or even an entire university English department.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yo, I think your grammatical expertise is more necessary in NYC threads. Those dudes can't spell/type/form coherent paragraphs. I think the task may be too much for any one man or even an entire university English department.
I sleep with A Writer's Resource under my pillow.

Magus420

Smash Master
I just don't like the way that looks. I'd rather have them all in a single post t.hen T.Hawk to have it send you to a page full of posts, and than > or = leave it up to the person to locate the three posts on that page. Someone who has never been to this finder before would click it, and be "like wtf this ain't no playa finda" and close out the browser.

And you can't even say "well just make it so that the triple post is on the top of the page" because people have different page settings. So some people haev like 10, posts per page, others have 40.
You do realize that the link I created snaps directly to a specified post on the page right? It doesn't matter where it is on the page. If they can't find the post when it automatically moves right to it they probably can't read either so no worries there. Even if it did matter if they were at the top... 5, 10, and 20 all go evenly into 40 anyway =P The only one that doesn't is 30, and honestly... who cares about those people that guy?

2000th post :psycho:

JFox

Smash Hero
You do realize that the link I created snaps directly to a specified post on the page right? It doesn't matter where it is on the page. If they can't find the post when it automatically moves right to it they probably can't read either so no worries there. Even if it did matter if they were at the top... 5, 10, and 20 all go evenly into 40 anyway =P The only one that doesn't is 30, and honestly... who cares about those people that guy?

Really? It doesn't work on mine. Than again I'm on a Mac. (Also if you have a slow connection, you sit at the top of the page until the whole thing is done loading, and I'm pretty sure the snap happens only after the rest is done loading. So the person browsing sits at the top thinking "wtf did I just get linked to, I don't feel like loading this, its not what I thought it was" and than closes the browser before the snap.

I guess that explains why you thought it was good idea...:laugh:

Well I think I still like the three posts in a new thread idea best. As long as Wozzerator doesn't mind, I think I'll do that.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master

Magus ftw, good idea

Magus420

Smash Master
If you do go with the separate thread you can still use that type of link to improve it. Plus having no other posts and no sigs should make it adjust focus almost immediately after the page shows up if their browser allows.

...and for the last time stop mixing up your than/t.hen/T.Hawk usage :laugh:

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
i dont know how magus does it but i just take the link of the page the post is on, and at the part where it says "&page=101" i replace it with "&p= (post number)" and the post number is not the one in the top right corner but found by hovering your mouse over any of the "quote" "quick reply" "multiquote" or even "report post" and its the last number shown in the footer of your browser.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=99590&p=2982992

L.O.P.L.

Smash Cadet
I want to update my information.

*Forum Name {LOPL}
*County: {Hudson}
*City: {Bayonne}
Contact Info: {Aim - sxcybeast103}
College: Highschool, BHS

Illos

Smash Apprentice
I think magus just takes the link from the top right hand corner of the post, like for this one it would say#1512.

Magus420

Smash Master
And yeah, you just take the beginning (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?), then add the thread ID number (t=xxxxx) which is 99590 in this case, and then add the post ID number (p=xxxxxxx) afterwards with a & symbol inbetween the 2 IDs.

You can find the thread ID when you highlight the thread link from the section of the boards you're in (like going to click the title of the thread in Atlantic North) among other things.

Top Bottom