• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

I see where you're coming from, but I heard a few fans were turned off by the relatively over-the-top style of SFIV.

I love it personally, but I get that it isn't to everybody's taste.

I trust the characters will be as kooky and fun as ever.

I mean, damn, Birdie...~
I think SFV looks pretty alright, I mean the game is still in development so of course it's not gonna look perfect right now. But at least it's been getting improvements!

(Compare Cammy's earlier model and hair with her newer one and you'll see they've been gradually improving it)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The issue with SFIV's style was that, although it's fine, they went overboard trying to make it zany or funny looking like with the eyeballs popping out and such. I have a bit of criticism for SFIV's art style as well.

What I'm wanting is a somewhat serious style, but not like overly realistic. I want primary colors and I want a more animated type look but without going the goofy or blocky face route that SFIV did. Stuff like Alpha series, 3rd strike, MvC2, but in 3D.

I feel those games are much more fun to play just from an artstyle perspective alone, whereas I play MvC3 and it feels overly shaded and overly realistic and lacking color which I tend to really like in games. I also find when there is a more colorful palette, it's easier to discern attacks and defend accordingly.
Yeah, I see what you mean. The grab command's "squish" noise is a bit weird, too. It just felt odd to hear that when Akuma pins the opponent down for a Shun Goku Satsu.

I'm just gonna wait for Sakura to be confirmed. Then I can be a happy kitty~

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I think it's time that I considered Shantae for my prediction list. Better to put than say sorry.
Shovel Knight making it doesn't instantly make Shantae a frontrunner. If anything, it would hurt her chances as much as it would help it (While it would mean that niche, indy characters aren't out of the question, we'd end up already having one in Shovel Knight. DLC is limited, and they're probably not going to use two slots on nobodies).

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I see what you mean. The grab command's "squish" noise is a bit weird, too. It just felt odd to hear that when Akuma pins the opponent down for a Shun Goku Satsu.

I'm just gonna wait for Sakura to be confirmed. Then I can be a happy kitty~
I'm waiting on that too. Despite the artstyle, as long she's in the game I'll be buying it day one. lol

Soul.

Hey guys, quick question: did they ever show that rumored Shovel Knight amiibo? That is, if PAX already started.
I'm confused.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I can't follow this thread right now.
I'm completely lost.
Between Street Fighter V, people saying Shovel Knight is confirmed for Smash because of this, and people saying he's not even remotely confirmed for Smash because it's not a Smash Amiibo, and then people trying to change the subject with other random stuff for some reason... yeah I feel yeah.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
So guys its about 11:00-12: in Seatle, that may explain why Game put up that Shovel Knight amiibo a while ago, if it is true, cause you see in the UK the days nearly over, but its still about midday in some parts of America right?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Like if he was in Smash? Because to be honest saying that Smash DLC won't sell well is like saying water isn't wet.
But in Japan hardly anyone knows him, my friend on the Bandana Dee thread @Logo12 showed us a fourm of Japanese people talking about how they had no idea who Shovel Knight was or why he would be in Smash.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Shovel Knight making it doesn't instantly make Shantae a frontrunner. If anything, it would hurt her chances as much as it would help it (While it would mean that niche, indy characters aren't out of the question, we'd end up already having one in Shovel Knight. DLC is limited, and they're probably not going to use two slots on nobodies).
Just because a character isn't owned by a huge game corporation or isn't a huge icon doesn't mean they're a "nobody".

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Guys, I just realized something.

Artsy Omni's Shovel Knight render was used on that Spanish retailer site, and a Shovel Knight amiibo was confirmed today.

Something Artsy Omni made was a part of a leak and it actually ended up being legit.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So guys its about 11:00-12: in Seatle, that may explain why Game put up that Shovel Knight amiibo a while ago, if it is true, cause you see in the UK the days nearly over, but its still about midday in some parts of America right?
It's 7:20 PM in the UK.

I'mma be up all hours for PAX.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
But in Japan hardly anyone knows him, my friend on the Bandana Dee thread @Logo12 showed us a fourm of Japanese people talking about how they had no idea who Shovel Knight was or why he would be in Smash.
But it's still Smash DLC. Just because people don't know him doesn't mean they still won't buy him or use him (Hell, Little Mac was in the same shoes not too long ago).
Hell, they could stick in Pichu fighting with the severed head of Wolf on a stick and people would still get it.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Does these sort of things not count as Like Farming?
And are these images too big?
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei Can your clear this up for me?
I'm not Swamp, but I'll respond nevertheless.

The image size is borderline, not really a problem IMO, though it doesn't hurt to at least put an image in quote tags to avoid having them be too big just in case. I would classify it as trolling, though, rather than like farming. Regardless, posts like that should not be happening. There's nothing wrong with posting fake stuff but you shouldn't be trying to trick people with it.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
He's not out in Japan yet, that's one of the reasons why people are iffy as to if he'll actually be in Smash Bros. Also, think about it, that listing didn't mention the amiibo being compatible with Smash Bros. Just "future Yacht Club titles" I personally think Smash Bros would be the main selling point for that amiibo so... whoooo knows at this point.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Hey guys, quick question: did they ever show that rumored Shovel Knight amiibo? That is, if PAX already started.
I'm confused.
You certainly aren't alone.

I'm not Swamp, but I'll respond nevertheless.
The image size is borderline, not really a problem IMO, though it doesn't hurt to at least put an image in quote tags to avoid having them be too big just in case. I would classify it as trolling, though, rather than like farming. Regardless, posts like that should not be happening. There's nothing wrong with posting fake stuff but you shouldn't be trying to trick people with it.
Thanks for clearing this up Firus :) It was just a general question.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
you mean japan dosent know about the character whos game isnt out in japan? next your going to tell me the black hedgehog on the cover of the game shadow the hedgehog is actually shadow the hedgehog!

sorry for the snark but no duh

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I love the look of SF5, but I am hoping that they do fix up Ken's face a bit before the full game is released, the hair doesn't bother me too much, it's just the face looks rather off, in some angles he looks fine but other times it looks pretty bad.
I'm waiting on that too. Despite the artstyle, as long she's in the game I'll be buying it day one. lol
It makes me wonder if they'll drop the schoolgirl design and go onto something like this:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I just hope the SFV PC port is decent day one. Unfortunately most devs are absolute garbage at making PC ports.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326

Smash Bros. Unity called it. :troll:

EDIT: I just realized I had actually talked with Yacht Club Games a while back about Shovel Knight being in Unity with their permission, so I can pull that up if needed, since Unity's kind of dead.
So here's a big ol' reach for a handful of straws... 20 minutes ago Nintendo's Facebook page just posted the results of their Smash photo contest titled 'Unity.'

...Interesting coincidence.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
you mean japan dosent know about the character whos game isnt out in japan? next your going to tell me the black hedgehog on the cover of the game shadow the hedgehog is actually shadow the hedgehog!

sorry for the snark but no duh
I have no idea what you just meant.

D

Deleted member

I love the look of SF5, but I am hoping that they do fix up Ken's face a bit before the full game is released, the hair doesn't bother me too much, it's just the face looks rather off, in some angles he looks fine but other times it looks pretty bad.

It makes me wonder if they'll drop the schoolgirl design and go onto something like this:
I honestly don't mind what outfit they give her as long as it's not overly girly. I like the character herself being a bit neutral in a ppearance.

As far as Ken goes, I am absolutely disappointed in his face. I can deal with the bizarre hair, but his face is just....honestly ugly if I'm going to be blunt. Ugly in terms of like "what happened to him" and it not being accurate to any of his previous staple designs.

He doesn't look like Ken anymore.

Chrono.

If she gets a new design then her old one can be DLC (something Capcom confirmed awhile were classic costumes).

Then again I'm surprised R.Mika didn't get a design change at all (not a major one at least)

Last edited:

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Just because a character isn't owned by a huge game corporation or isn't a huge icon doesn't mean they're a "nobody".
I mean... it means they're a "nobody" to the rest of the world. Think about how many people complained over here when Lucas got in Brawl when hardly anyone here knew he existed. That's how Japan would feel about Shovel Knight or Shantae basically. They'd be like "who the heck is this person? We don't want them in" because they have literally no representation in the country this game is being MADE in. Them being in is weird. It'd be different if Smash was being made in America.

D

Deleted member

If she gets a new design then her old one can be DLC (something Capcom confirmed awhile were classic costumes).

Then again I'm surprised R.Mika didn't get a design change at all
No more heart boobies is a difference.

-edit-

I notice the edit. haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I mean... it means they're a "nobody" to the rest of the world. Think about how many people complained over here when Lucas got in Brawl when hardly anyone here knew he existed. That's how Japan would feel about Shovel Knight or Shantae basically. They'd be like "who the heck is this person? We don't want them in" because they have literally no representation in the country this game is being MADE in. Them being in is weird. It'd be different if Smash was being made in America.
No, he means that indies are overall nobodies. Which is not the right idea to have.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I honestly don't mind what outfit they give her as long as it's not overly girly. I like the character herself being a bit neutral in a ppearance.

As far as Ken goes, I am absolutely disappointed in his face. I can deal with the bizarre hair, but his face is just....honestly ugly if I'm going to be blunt. Ugly in terms of like "what happened to him" and it not being accurate to any of his previous staple designs.

What?! That's not Ken. Who are you and what have you done with Ken???!!!!!

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Yeah, the face is the only thing about his design that looks really off. His face in SF4 looked a lot better imo
Especially 3rd Strike. Oof

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
BTW guys, Tamaki got it a little bit wrong. Yes the new DLC character uses a shovel, but it's not quite in the same way as Shovel Knight.

His render:

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
No, he means that indies are overall nobodies. Which is not the right idea to have.
But they ARE overall nobodies in terms of the industry. That's literally the point of indies, they are little independent nobody companies for the most part (don't get me wrong, I'm huge into indie games); but nobody in the world knows most indies even exist besides the few that expand to other countries. Sadly Shovel Knight is actually probably way bigger than Shantae in terms of fan-base even though she's been around way longer.

But you have to think of it from a global scale. Compared to AAA studios, Indies are nobodies. I hate to admit it since I'm hoping to start an independent company myself hopefully soon, but it's totally true. That's the industry.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Shovel Knight's already getting heat in this thread, and it's still just a rumor at this point.

I'd hate to see the explosion that could occur if it actually ended up being true.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom