• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Roy isn't like Ganondorf or Falco, he exists solely because of Melee nostalgia.

Seems bizarre that they'd bring him back for any reason other than because he was a popular Melee clone that would be easy.
People liked him because he had teh ph1r3 and, by the looks of it, he still has it :)

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I know that a lot don't want to ...

can i have apologies to anybody who say Roy will not be Decloned ? I mean ... it's been 7 years that i fight against these people ... Since the Mewtwo annoncement here in SMashboard , but everyday everybody was harsh " why not wolf , wolf have to come back ' "muh FE REP " " MUH 3RD MARTH CLONE" ...

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
DLC Betting:

2 more packs, 6 more characters.

-Wolf
-Snake
-Pichu
-Young Link
-Newcomer
-Newcomer

BAM.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, if there was only going to be one more veteran as DLC, and all things considered, I think Wolf would be the safest bet. I don't see Y.Link, Pichu or Squirtle and Ivysaur returning, and there's other reasons involved for Snake and ICs. Wolf is the safest bet right now.

Khoru

Smash Champion
I have some guesses regarding individual characters DLC-wise. I'll start with Snake:

-Snake

Snake is among the most popular Brawl characters, but there're a lot of more technical issues involved with including him into the game. For one, we know that Sakurai has an often arbitrary mindset on things. Snake was added as a guest character upon Kojima's request and was originally the only third party in Brawl. We learned that Sonic was added due to his popularity, and he's stayed because Sega and Nintendo have a close relationship.

Because Snake was more of a personal favor, I don't see why he'd come back as DLC. He was a character that probably would've been on the starting roster. As much of a troll as Kojima can be, I think he genuinely was telling the truth when he said Sakurai hadn't approached him again. Sakurai probably thought of Snake as a one-time deal and decided to spend that development time on other characters.

Snake was even more special in terms of the content he brought. As cool as he was and as much as I want him back, he doesn't fit the series. Most of the characters in the Smash series are from series that are one of the following;

-Most characters are from bright, colorful, and kid-friendly series in terms of aesthetic and content. Kirby, Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing all file under this.
-Some characters are from series that appeal more to tweens and teens in terms of look and content. There tends to be anime influence here since anime is especially popular with a teenage demographic. So, you get series like Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Street Fighter, and Xenoblade that represent the more "anime" side to this. You also get RPGs or massive scale game series like Earthbound or Zelda. Sonic, Star Fox, Punch Out!, Warioware and Metroid also fit somewhere into this category.
-Finally, you have characters that are just sort of bizarre/there. Duck Hunt, WFT, R.O.B, and Game & Watch all just sort of exist without concern over what demographics they represent.

Metal Gear is a bizarre contradiction to target demographics this series goes for. It's certainly not realistic (Nanomachines, son!) but it has explicit violence and language and has an often muted or dark color scheme emphasizing a more gritty tone. It's a late-teen to adult game series that's very story-heavy and involves a lot of investment into the characters. Well, except Metal Gear Rising. That was a meme-fest. But that still played out like a violent 80s action movie.

I love the franchise, but I think Sakurai realizes that it doesn't fit into Smash's tone. It would be very hard to imagine Snake in this game at all, purely based on the art style. He fit into Brawl's style seamlessly whereas other characters actually had far more awkward looking transitions.

I think it would be possible, but I think Snake would look out-of-place in this game. He'd either be noticeably dark and drab looking in comparison to the rest of the cast, or he'd look too colorful himself for his character.

What about post-ballot DLC? Well, that's another problem entirely. There's probably a lot of tension between Kojima and Konami right now, and Konami appears to have lost its mind. I wouldn't bet on whoever owns Metal Gear's rights to give permission at the moment. I mean, it COULD happen. If Konami has full ownership, they might start giving permission to whoever asks purely for monetary gain.

Conclusion: Snake is probably gone forever.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Welp. Since Roy can get a rework...

TIME FOR AN AVATAR CHANGE EVERYONE. SUPPORTER FOREVER

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
WHOA. 2 different Hadokens??

I originally thought it would be weird doing a Hadokun without going down-over-B like in the original game, but it looks like that might actually be a thing too maybe? Whoa.

Chrono.

I wonder if Ryu has an EX moves mechanic.

Though thinking about it now it wouldn't work very well since A+B is already mapped to Smashes

EDIT: NEVERMIND

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
DLC Betting:

2 more packs, 6 more characters.

-Wolf
-Snake Squirtle
-Pichu Ivysaur
-Young Link Ice Climbers (or failing that, Pichu)
-Newcomer Dixie Kong
-Newcomer K. Rool

BAM.
I don't ever want to hear that 8 or 9 Pokemon would be too many when Mario has exactly that, and we have 5 FE characters.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So Ryu has two final Smashes. So I'm guessing his final smash involves pressing the correct button combinations like in your traditional fighting game when his final smash is activated?

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
So Ryu has two final Smashes. So I'm guessing his final smash involves pressing the correct button combinations like in your traditional fighting game when his final smash is activated?
We'll find out from Sakurai tomorrow for sure. If that's the case, you have to give Sakurai major props to staying true to form.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Such a small touch, but I love the original SF sounds that come with Ryu's hits.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So with Roy down. All I'm missing is Wolf, King K. Rool, Lloyd Irving, and a Rhythm Heaven character.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
As someone who has played Street Fighter 2 since it first came out on Sega Genesis, I'm absolutely ecstatic with how Sakurai is treating Ryu. This is amazing.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I have some guesses regarding individual characters DLC-wise. I'll start with Snake:

-Snake

Snake is among the most popular Brawl characters, but there're a lot of more technical issues involved with including him into the game. For one, we know that Sakurai has an often arbitrary mindset on things. Snake was added as a guest character upon Kojima's request and was originally the only third party in Brawl. We learned that Sonic was added due to his popularity, and he's stayed because Sega and Nintendo have a close relationship.

Because Snake was more of a personal favor, I don't see why he'd come back as DLC. He was a character that probably would've been on the starting roster. As much of a troll as Kojima can be, I think he genuinely was telling the truth when he said Sakurai hadn't approached him again. Sakurai probably thought of Snake as a one-time deal and decided to spend that development time on other characters.

Snake was even more special in terms of the content he brought. As cool as he was and as much as I want him back, he doesn't fit the series. Most of the characters in the Smash series are from series that are one of the following;

-Most characters are from bright, colorful, and kid-friendly series in terms of aesthetic and content. Kirby, Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing all file under this.
-Some characters are from series that appeal more to tweens and teens in terms of look and content. There tends to be anime influence here since anime is especially popular with a teenage demographic. So, you get series like Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Street Fighter, and Xenoblade that represent the more "anime" side to this. You also get RPGs or massive scale game series like Earthbound or Zelda. Sonic, Star Fox, Punch Out!, Warioware and Metroid also fit somewhere into this category.
-Finally, you have characters that are just sort of bizarre/there. Duck Hunt, WFT, R.O.B, and Game & Watch all just sort of exist without concern over what demographics they represent.

Metal Gear is a bizarre contradiction to target demographics this series goes for. It's certainly not realistic (Nanomachines, son!) but it has explicit violence and language and has an often muted or dark color scheme emphasizing a more gritty tone. It's a late-teen to adult game series that's very story-heavy and involves a lot of investment into the characters. Well, except Metal Gear Rising. That was a meme-fest. But that still played out like a violent 80s action movie.

I love the franchise, but I think Sakurai realizes that it doesn't fit into Smash's tone. It would be very hard to imagine Snake in this game at all, purely based on the art style. He fit into Brawl's style seamlessly whereas other characters actually had far more awkward looking transitions.

I think it would be possible, but I think Snake would look out-of-place in this game. He'd either be noticeably dark and drab looking in comparison to the rest of the cast, or he'd look too colorful himself for his character.

What about post-ballot DLC? Well, that's another problem entirely. There's probably a lot of tension between Kojima and Konami right now, and Konami appears to have lost its mind. I wouldn't bet on whoever owns Metal Gear's rights to give permission at the moment. I mean, it COULD happen. If Konami has full ownership, they might start giving permission to whoever asks purely for monetary gain.

Conclusion: Snake is probably gone forever.
All I'm going to say is this:

If Snake doesn't fit in Smash Bros then neither does Samus.

Welp. Since Roy can get a rework...

TIME FOR AN AVATAR CHANGE EVERYONE. SUPPORTER FOREVER
YAY Let's rework Young Link and Pichu!

Really to change Young Link just literally make him wield the Great Fairy Sword from Majora's Mask, no longer a clone.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Quarter Circle Forward Special and Half Circle Forward Special each do a different type of Hadouken, so coupled with the standard neutral button press, that's three Hadoukens.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
WHOA. 2 different Hadokens??

I originally thought it would be weird doing a Hadokun without going down-over-B like in the original game, but it looks like that might actually be a thing too maybe? Whoa.
It is. You do extra damage if you do the haduken input, same with his other specials. It's in the move tips, @PushDustIn has ripped the text and has it all translated. @DMurr and myself helped put the article together, we're trying to publish it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom