• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm back. How the heck do I use emotes in sigs?

Anyway, I'm totally maining Ryu-he has a super unique playstyle. Some of his moves can only be used by combo button inputs.

D

Deleted member

I swear if there's no bundle for all 3 of them for like $10(one version only), I'm gonna have to make the hard decision between Roy and Lucas.
Which is funny because I hated Roy before, these changes really helped him imo

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Same could have been said about Lucy and Royman.
Those are explicitly different characters. Toon/Young Link aren't literally the same people (due to the Zelda timeline and such) but they're still both actually a younger Link. Link himself has different costumes representing different Link eras, but the point is that he's adult Link.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If they decloned Roy a bit then they should bring back Young Link with some new tools.
If Young Link gets notable popularity like Roy had than sure.

But until then, there are bigger fish to fry!

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Same could have been said about Lucy and Royman.
Errr......no, not really.

They're Marth clones, but they're different enough entities as characters.

Toon and Young Link, well......they may be different people and their backstories, homes, and the adventures they went on may not be the same, but Link is Link.

I'm against Roy's inclusion, but I'd take him over Young Link without hesitation. We don't need three Marth clones, but we don't need three Links either.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
YAS SEXY ROY IS IN THE TOP.

YOU GO SEXY ROY. BE SEXY.

Also....uhmmm...Lucas idle animation is the cutest flipping thing ever okay.

The little arm wails. So fricking adorable.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I guess I'll settle for a red bandanna in place of a gray one.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Basically, consider it like this:

Young Link and Toon Link both represent a similar concept of a faster, weaker, younger version of Link. The reason we got Toon Link is due to him basically becoming THE identifiable "Young" version of Link, and representing that sect of the series. Compare this to 2001, when "Young Link" represented a younger Link, through both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

D

Deleted member

THE SIGNS IN THE SF STAGE CAN BREAK EVEN IN THE OMEGA VERSION
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THIS!?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Basically, consider it like this:

Young Link and Toon Link both represent a similar concept of a faster, weaker, younger version of Link. The reason we got Toon Link is due to him basically becoming THE identifiable "Young" version of Link, and representing that sect of the series. Compare this to 2001, when "Young Link" represented a younger Link, through both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
Roy, alongside Marth, represents Fire Emblem as a whole. They bought Fire Emblem to the west.
And Young Link could never do that.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Errr......no, not really.

They're Marth clones, but they're different enough entities as characters.

Toon and Young Link, well......they may be different people and their backstories, homes, and the adventures they went on may not be the same, but Link is Link.

I'm against Roy's inclusion, but I'd take him over Young Link without hesitation. We don't need three Marth clones, but we don't need three Links either.
I'm down for any returning vets. And the difference between 3 Marths and 3 Links is really just splitting hairs IMO.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How can you people still dislike Roy?

Embodiment of sexy. :4feroy:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Something we didn't think possible until today.

Whose to say it wouldn't be the case with three Links?
Uhhh.....when did I ever say it was an impossibility? :s

Maybe re-read the conversation, because it has nothing to do with chances. It has to do with preference.

For the record, I would not be surprised in the least if Young Link were confirmed as DLC.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'm surprised the stream is still up.

Like Nintendo has to be pissed off and they're just letting it happen.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It's about appearance.

There's more variety with the 3 Marths.
It's more about perception. From where I'm standing, Fire Emblem got ample new content in this game already with 2 new characters. Zelda hasn't had a new rep since arguably Melee (depending on how Sakurai views Young/Toon Link) and is a much bigger/more popular franchise than FE. I can see why someone would rather have Roy, but like I said it just comes down to personal preference really.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if Young Link never made it back, in fact he's now the last character that I'd like to see back aside from Snake, but I'd still be happy to see him. He is, after all from 2 of the best games of all time. Frankly I'd rather have Young Link and Toon Link than regular Link. TP wasn't that great IMO.

Last edited:

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Honestly, seeing how Roy has changed... I have a feeling they actually would change Young Link and Pichu if they brought them back so.. I'm not totally against that. I don't CARE particularly if they come back, but as long as they change them up like Roy, I welcome them.

D

Deleted member

Melee HD is looking great
ROY.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys. @Spazzy_D mentioned it before, but here's the link to the article him, myself and @PushDustIn worked on with the data rips:

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/e3-update-pre-patch-notes/

Also thanks to @Tr1pleDee for your gifs of the victory videos. I used them without prior permission though, so if you're not cool with it, I'll take them down.

It took a lot of work!! So I'm glad that I'm finally posting it.
Inklings:
Meet the Inklings, a mysterious race of beings that can transform into squid at will! They like to octopi their time with frantic, multicolored turf wars, and they won’t miss out on any oppor-tuna-ty to get to the top. And we wouldn’t go so far as to call them cod’s gift to fashion, but check out that fresh style!

I love smash

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
From the Source Gaming article, a tip for Ryu:

"Shoryuken -

Input forward, down, down-forward for 1.2x attack power. Think you can pull it off? SURE YOU CAN!"

They did it.

They actually did it.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
It's more about perception. From where I'm standing, Fire Emblem got ample new content in this game already with 2 new characters. Zelda hasn't had a new rep since arguably Melee (depending on how Sakurai views Young/Toon Link) and is a much bigger/more popular franchise than FE. I can see why someone would rather have Roy, but like I said it just comes down to personal preference really.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if Young Link never made it back, in fact he's now the last character that I'd like to see back aside from Snake, but I'd still be happy to see him. He is, after all from 2 of the best games of all time. Frankly I'd rather have Young Link and Toon Link than regular Link. TP wasn't that great IMO.
While I agree that FE is over-repped (which is one of the reasons I don't think Roy needed to come back), variety is more important to me than series representation. That's why I prefer Roy to Young Link. Even if he's Luigified, he's still Link #3. Roy at least looks quite different than Marth or Lucina.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Man. I went to bed thinking I saw everything I was going to see today. NOPE! We got GAMEPLAY of the 3 characters.

- Glad that Roy got "Luigi-fied". Now Marth's situation is JUST like that of Mario's and Fox in Melee. So now people's complaints are invalid. I was happy to have Roy back anyway.

- Lucas is Lucas but looks great in HD. Glad he's back.

- Ryu... he done brought his SF tech with him? Well now I KNOW I can't pick him up. But I look forward to getting my arse beat by him. This is amazing stuff. He's definitely unique.

- If you thought the Floodgates were open BEFORE... well yeah. I am in full support of Pichu and Young Link coming back. If you'd played Hyrule Warriors, you know they can separate Young Link and Toon Link. Though with Roy and Mewtwo back, all my fav veterans have made it in. Now of Issac and Shantae could get in somehow... yeah. I'd have to sell Nintendo my soul.

Oh well. I am satisfied. And I have a feeling there is more to be announced come tomorrow. So... yeah. Good times. Nintendo doesn't want to win E3. They want to DOMINATE the entire WEEK.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Honestly, seeing how Roy has changed... I have a feeling they actually would change Young Link and Pichu if they brought them back so.. I'm not totally against that. I don't CARE particularly if they come back, but as long as they change them up like Roy, I welcome them.
Anybody got a link to a video with Roy in it?

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Wolf first. :V
Remember everybody's already on that train.

Pichu's hype train needs some new passengers. And with the Roy hype train arriving at its destination nows the best time to get people to board the Pichuu hype train.

D

Deleted member

How true they stayed to Ryu with the inputs is gonna make me cry, it's so fantastic

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
While I agree that FE is over-repped (which is one of the reasons I don't think Roy needed to come back), variety is more important to me than series representation. That's why I prefer Roy to Young Link. Even if he's Luigified, he's still Link #3. Roy at least looks quite different than Marth or Lucina.
That's understandable.

It's really a matter of me loving OOT and MM and I would relish in being able to play as the Link I went on those adventures with. I don't have any attachment to Roy beyond Smash Bros as I'm pretty sure his game is Japan-only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom