• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I wish the guy that was playing did more than just use final smashes, he didnt try to do any combo's or anything

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Wait so what is Ryu's final smash? (the stream died before I could see Ryu) I'm asking because the trophy shows Shin Shoryuken, but he totally says "Shinku" and "Shin" in his audio files; which makes it sound like he has Shinku Hadouken and Shin Shoryuken. The only thing I can think of with him having both is if his Final Smash is Hado Kakusei which allows him to use powered-up versions of his moves. And then like... he can either do the input for Hadoken which does Shinku Hadouken or Shoryuken input to do Shin Shoryuken.
I'm watching it since I missed it and so far, it's only Shinku Hadoken :(

Maybe Shin Shoryuken is an aerial Final Smash...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Okay, I say let those spots go to Pichu and Wolf. Their the only 2 clone missing vets.

Please, No Wolf isn't a clone comments, his moveset is clearly based around Fox's, its just changed so he's more like a Luigi to Fox then a straight clone like Lucina
Wolf isn't a clone. His moveset is conceptually similar to Fox but functions completely differently in every way, with only one or two shared moves.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Ryu has 2 different final smashes depending on his range. Yooooooo

The shin shoryuken is up close, and the big hadouken thing is from a distance.

Edit: :4greninja:'d multiple times

Last edited:

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I'm watching it since I missed it and so far, it's only Shinku Hadoken :(

Maybe Shin Shoryuken is an aerial Final Smash...
Wait yeah that's weird, I'm watching it now and it's totally just straight-up Shinku Hadouken, but his Final Smash Trophy is Shin Shoryuken. What's happening here? lol

Is it? I'm watching now and he's pretty close-up using his Final Smash but I'm only seeing Hadoukens coming out. I mean I guess it could be you have to literally be touching another player for the SS to kick in... is it shown later in this footage?

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Wolf is more likely than not getting one of the spots. The other one I dunno. It may be the ballot character, or it may be another newcomer.

Pichu I don't see very likely as getting in.
I was making joke about all the DLC vets being a semi clone and clone characters....

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Edit: :4greninja:'d multiple times
WHAT?! Now that is some amazing work from Sakurai :surprised:

If I was a girl, I'd want to marry him :grin:

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say that so soon. I honestly do not believe that both Roy and Ryu are coming tomorrow.

I think Roy's being saved for July tbh.
I'd say it's far more likely that a special Smash Bros presentation is going to yield Roy than an unrelated musical event that Sakurai just happens to be attending.

I swear that some people would take Sakurai using the toilet as a confirmation of Loggo.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Don't believe I've missed any anyone. Pichu was a weird one because his debut appearance (1999) didn't fit in any of the columns so I extended 1994-1998 to 1994-1999.

Also you were right, 1994-1998 would be a real pain with all the veterans added in.:p
Yeah, 1994 -1998 would be a real pain... I think All-Stars would need to be rearranged... especially the 1990s.

1980-1984 (7 characters)
:4gaw::4pacman::4mario::4dk::4luigi::4littlemac::4duckhunt:

1985-1986 (7 characters)
:popo::4rob::4peach::4bowser::4link::4zelda::4samus:

1986-1990 (7 characters)
:4pit::4palutena::snake: Ryu :4megaman::4marth::4drmario:

1990-1992 (6 characters)
:4yoshi::4falcon::4sonic::4kirby::4dedede::4wario:

1993-1994 (5 characters)
:4fox::4falco::4metaknight::4ness::4diddy:

1996 (6 characters)
:4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::squirtle::ivysaur:

1997-2001 (7 characters)
:wolf::younglinkmelee::4sheik::4ganondorf::pichumelee::4villager::4olimar:

2002-2006 (7 characters)
:roymelee::4bowserjr::4tlink::4zss::4myfriends::4lucas::4lucario:

2007-2013 (7 characters)
:rosalina::4wiifit::4shulk::4darkpit::4robinm::4lucina::4greninja:

7-7-7-6-5-6-7-7-7

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

I'd say it's far more likely that a special Smash Bros presentation is going to yield Roy than an unrelated musical event that Sakurai just happens to be attending.

I swear that some people would take Sakurai using the toilet as a confirmation of Loggo.
Well People are just wondering what the hell Sakurai is doing at the concert, when Sakurai hasn't really done anything for the development for Fire Emblem, besides making foreign fans interested in it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just went shopping for le groceries and got an E-Shop card.

Now I sleep in a princess tutu while I wait for the direct/dat release:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I have some guesses regarding individual characters DLC-wise. I'll start with Snake:

-Snake

Snake is among the most popular Brawl characters, but there're a lot of more technical issues involved with including him into the game. For one, we know that Sakurai has an often arbitrary mindset on things. Snake was added as a guest character upon Kojima's request and was originally the only third party in Brawl. We learned that Sonic was added due to his popularity, and he's stayed because Sega and Nintendo have a close relationship.

Because Snake was more of a personal favor, I don't see why he'd come back as DLC. He was a character that probably would've been on the starting roster. As much of a troll as Kojima can be, I think he genuinely was telling the truth when he said Sakurai hadn't approached him again. Sakurai probably thought of Snake as a one-time deal and decided to spend that development time on other characters.

Snake was even more special in terms of the content he brought. As cool as he was and as much as I want him back, he doesn't fit the series. Most of the characters in the Smash series are from series that are one of the following;

-Most characters are from bright, colorful, and kid-friendly series in terms of aesthetic and content. Kirby, Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing all file under this.
-Some characters are from series that appeal more to tweens and teens in terms of look and content. There tends to be anime influence here since anime is especially popular with a teenage demographic. So, you get series like Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Street Fighter, and Xenoblade that represent the more "anime" side to this. You also get RPGs or massive scale game series like Earthbound or Zelda. Sonic, Star Fox, Punch Out!, Warioware and Metroid also fit somewhere into this category.
-Finally, you have characters that are just sort of bizarre/there. Duck Hunt, WFT, R.O.B, and Game & Watch all just sort of exist without concern over what demographics they represent.

Metal Gear is a bizarre contradiction to target demographics this series goes for. It's certainly not realistic (Nanomachines, son!) but it has explicit violence and language and has an often muted or dark color scheme emphasizing a more gritty tone. It's a late-teen to adult game series that's very story-heavy and involves a lot of investment into the characters. Well, except Metal Gear Rising. That was a meme-fest. But that still played out like a violent 80s action movie.

I love the franchise, but I think Sakurai realizes that it doesn't fit into Smash's tone. It would be very hard to imagine Snake in this game at all, purely based on the art style. He fit into Brawl's style seamlessly whereas other characters actually had far more awkward looking transitions.

I think it would be possible, but I think Snake would look out-of-place in this game. He'd either be noticeably dark and drab looking in comparison to the rest of the cast, or he'd look too colorful himself for his character.

What about post-ballot DLC? Well, that's another problem entirely. There's probably a lot of tension between Kojima and Konami right now, and Konami appears to have lost its mind. I wouldn't bet on whoever owns Metal Gear's rights to give permission at the moment. I mean, it COULD happen. If Konami has full ownership, they might start giving permission to whoever asks purely for monetary gain.

Conclusion: Snake is probably gone forever.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Roy being decloned is absolutely bizarre. Why bring him back for the people who wanted him just to change him.

Sakurai Bias runnin wild, brother.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Yeah, 1994 -1998 would be a real pain... I think All-Stars would need to be rearranged... especially the 1990s.

1980-1984 (7 characters)
:4gaw::4pacman::4mario::4dk::4luigi::4littlemac::4duckhunt:

1985-1986 (7 characters)
:popo::4rob::4peach::4bowser::4link::4zelda::4samus:

1986-1990 (7 characters)
:4pit::4palutena::snake: Ryu :4megaman::4marth::4drmario:

1990-1992 (6 characters)
:4yoshi::4falcon::4sonic::4kirby::4dedede::4wario:

1993-1994 (5 characters)
:4fox::4falco::4metaknight::4ness::4diddy:

1996 (6 characters)
:4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::squirtle::ivysaur:

1997-2001 (7 characters)
:wolf::younglinkmelee::4sheik::4ganondorf::pichumelee::4villager::4olimar:

2002-2006 (7 characters)
:roymelee::4bowserjr::4tlink::4zss::4myfriends::4lucas::4lucario:

2007-2013 (7 characters)
:rosalina::4wiifit::4shulk::4darkpit::4robinm::4lucina::4greninja:

7-7-7-6-5-6-7-7-7
This is a much better layout. They would probably have to add more hearts to compensate for the sheer number of fighters.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I have some guesses regarding individual characters DLC-wise. I'll start with Snake:

-Snake

Snake is among the most popular Brawl characters, but there're a lot of more technical issues involved with including him into the game. For one, we know that Sakurai has an often arbitrary mindset on things. Snake was added as a guest character upon Kojima's request and was originally the only third party in Brawl. We learned that Sonic was added due to his popularity, and he's stayed because Sega and Nintendo have a close relationship.

Because Snake was more of a personal favor, I don't see why he'd come back as DLC. He was a character that probably would've been on the starting roster. As much of a troll as Kojima can be, I think he genuinely was telling the truth when he said Sakurai hadn't approached him again. Sakurai probably thought of Snake as a one-time deal and decided to spend that development time on other characters.

Snake was even more special in terms of the content he brought. As cool as he was and as much as I want him back, he doesn't fit the series. Most of the characters in the Smash series are from series that are one of the following;

-Most characters are from bright, colorful, and kid-friendly series in terms of aesthetic and content. Kirby, Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing all file under this.
-Some characters are from series that appeal more to tweens and teens in terms of look and content. There tends to be anime influence here since anime is especially popular with a teenage demographic. So, you get series like Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Street Fighter, and Xenoblade that represent the more "anime" side to this. You also get RPGs or massive scale game series like Earthbound or Zelda. Sonic, Star Fox, Punch Out!, Warioware and Metroid also fit somewhere into this category.
-Finally, you have characters that are just sort of bizarre/there. Duck Hunt, WFT, R.O.B, and Game & Watch all just sort of exist without concern over what demographics they represent.

Metal Gear is a bizarre contradiction to target demographics this series goes for. It's certainly not realistic (Nanomachines, son!) but it has explicit violence and language and has an often muted or dark color scheme emphasizing a more gritty tone. It's a late-teen to adult game series that's very story-heavy and involves a lot of investment into the characters. Well, except Metal Gear Rising. That was a meme-fest. But that still played out like a violent 80s action movie.

I love the franchise, but I think Sakurai realizes that it doesn't fit into Smash's tone. It would be very hard to imagine Snake in this game at all, purely based on the art style. He fit into Brawl's style seamlessly whereas other characters actually had far more awkward looking transitions.

I think it would be possible, but I think Snake would look out-of-place in this game. He'd either be noticeably dark and drab looking in comparison to the rest of the cast, or he'd look too colorful himself for his character.

What about post-ballot DLC? Well, that's another problem entirely. There's probably a lot of tension between Kojima and Konami right now, and Konami appears to have lost its mind. I wouldn't bet on whoever owns Metal Gear's rights to give permission at the moment. I mean, it COULD happen. If Konami has full ownership, they might start giving permission to whoever asks purely for monetary gain.
Didn't even read this whole thing because I saw "Doesn't fit into Smash's Tone" and talking about how he'd be "Dark and drab" like... really? reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally? And Ganondorf isn't "dark and drab"? and Ryu "fits Smash's tone"? We just got Ryu and he doesn't look like he belongs in the game at all. His model is like.... really really good and more realistic than everyone else in the game. It almost looks like they took a model out of a new Street Fighter game and slapped it in Smash. I understand where you're coming from and respect your opinion; but I really have to say this logic seems pretty flawed.

Starlight_Lily

Roy being decloned is absolutely bizarre. Why bring him back for the people who wanted him just to change him.

Ah here we go.

Now we're going to have people whining about why Roy was decloned:troll:

Chrono.

Well every full clone has been decloned so far.

Except for Doc but he's an anomaly.

joetherocker

Smash Apprentice
I wish this Roy gameplay was somewhere other than Twitch so I could actually get it to load more than 3 seconds at a time.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

-Snake

Conclusion: Snake is probably gone forever.
Lol same for pichu and young link.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Didn't even read this whole thing because I saw "Doesn't fit into Smash's Tone" and talking about how he'd be "Dark and drab" like... really? reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally? And Ganondorf isn't "dark and drab"? and Ryu "fits Smash's tone"? We just got Ryu and he doesn't look like he belongs in the game at all. His model is like.... really really good and more realistic than everyone else in the game. It almost looks like they took a model out of a new Street Fighter game and slapped it in Smash. I understand where you're coming from and respect your opinion; but I really have to say this logic seems pretty flawed.
Ganondorf is "dark and drab" in the context of fantasy tropes. He's a dark wizard archetype in the context of a high-fantasy series, whereas Snake is a military-oriented character who fits into a sci-fi military/spy series. Ryu and most Street Fighter characters look 90s-anime oriented, which is a theme that the F-zero series arguably carries with it in terms of aesthetic.

D

Deleted member

So how did Roy get decloned? I want to know how so I can see whenever or not to get more hyped.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I wish this Roy gameplay was somewhere other than Twitch so I could actually get it to load more than 3 seconds at a time.
I know, I'm trying to watch the Ryu stuff so I can see Shin Shoryuken, but he's done the final smash like 6 times and they've all been Shinku Hadouken. But the freakin video is so laggy on its own that I gave up halfway through.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
  1. :4lucina:
  2. All Melee clones who didn't get cut have been decloned at some degree, even if it is only two moves (:4drmario:)
  3. Both of the above
Roy isn't like Ganondorf or Falco, he exists solely because of Melee nostalgia.

Seems bizarre that they'd bring him back for any reason other than because he was a popular Melee clone that would be easy.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Lol same for pichu and young link.
I'm pretty sure that because Pichu and Young Link are Nintendo characters, their cases for not getting in are entirely different from that of Snake's.

On another note (totally different) has anyone made Roster Maker icons for Roy and Ryu yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom