• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Well, yeah, actually, when your main gimmick has already been done by another character from the same series for the past three games, it's pretty redundant.

You can swing those weapons differently, but at the end of the day, it's still a moveset using a golf club or tennis racket, and doesn't really bring anything new or interesting to the table.
Burb I honestly think you miss read what I was saying. I was saying you can still pull moves from the sports games without giving Daisy anything from the Tennis or Golf games. You can easily give Daisy a moveset that only comes from the Mario strikers series, and she wouldn't be swinging anything. You simply said the moveset would be redundant and I explained why it wouldn't be.

While popularity is a big factor right now due to the ballot, this discussion is about Daisy getting into any Smash game, not necessarily Smash 4 DLC.

What you seem to be forgetting is that popularity is not the only factor. Especially outside of the ballot. Look at the base game: highly requested characters like Mewtwo, Ridley, and King K. Rool did not make the cut. Characters that hardly anyone asked for, like Duck Hunt Dog and Wii Fit Trainer did. The importance of popularity is greatly exaggerated. Uniqueness appears to be the biggest factor when deciding new characters, and there isn't much about Daisy that is truly unique.

Her actual level of popularity is hard to gauge, anyway......on some sites (GameFAQs in specific), Daisy is a meme character comparable to the likes of Reckless Wii Remote guy, Shrek, and Goku. There were dozens of trolls pretending to be hardcore Daisy supporters. Daisy obviously has an actual following, but we don't really know how many there genuinely are thanks to all the jokers in the mix.

You also need to look at the Mario roster. Bowser Jr and Rosalina tend to miss spinoff games, while Waluigi and Daisy are almost always present. And just the opposite is true with the main Mario series.....Daisy was only in one non-spinoff Mario game and Waluigi has never been in one. Rosalina and Bowser Jr are regulars.

Who made it into Smash? Rosalina and Bowser Jr. This suggests that Sakurai looks at the main series and picks characters based on their importance to it. While I don't think Birdo would get in before Daisy, I can certainly see why someone might feel that way......Birdo actually still appears outside the sports games unlike Daisy.
And I have already explained how Daisy in Smash would appeal to causal Smash fans who're also Mario fans. Also piece of advise don't ever use gamefaqs a source for character popularity especially Daisy's since well they have people attack Daisy fans simply for just asking how she could work in Smash.

Also Daisy isn't really seen as a troll character outside of her incredibly moronic hatedom (Seriously I've always found people who just keep yelling about how much they hate a character really weird, and I mean them just saying I hate this character, not I dislike this character because reason number 1 etc.).

And I never said Daisy would get in before Bowser Jr or Rosalina did I. Also we have no idea as to how Sakurai thinks for when it comes to certain series or characters, he simply could have looked at Waluigi this time and thought: I got nothing, just like he had nothing for the Miis during Brawl's development.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Nice to see you back Frostwraith!

Khoru

Smash Champion
i've completed everything at this point except for robo's quest, marle's quest, and the black omen (x3)

D

Deleted member

*Kicks door down*

So, this is where the Leaks group folks have migrated.

Things do change when you're gone, it seems. One hell of a life experience here.

Also, I've been in contact with @ PushDustIn PushDustIn and few other guys at Source Gaming and I will be posting few articles every now and then, so look forward to them. #SHAMELESSPLUG

P.S. I'm back.
Great to see you back here. :)

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Burb I honestly think you miss read what I was saying. I was saying you can still pull moves from the sports games without giving Daisy anything from the Tennis or Golf games. You can easily give Daisy a moveset that only comes from the Mario strikers series, and she wouldn't be swinging anything. You simply said the moveset would be redundant and I explained why it wouldn't be.
Fair enough.

And I have already explained how Daisy in Smash would appeal to causal Smash fans who're also Mario fans. Also piece of advise don't ever use gamefaqs a source for character popularity especially Daisy's since well they have people attack Daisy fans simply for just asking how she could work in Smash.
I never once said that Daisy wouldn't appeal to anybody. I'm fully aware she has a genuine following and is a well-known character. All I said is that there's some insincere people mixed in with the fans she has.

As for the part about not using GameFAQs as a source.....I actually came over to SmashBoards from GameFAQs. It may have a bad reputation in some parts of the Smash community, but that doesn't mean their opinions shouldn't count.

Also Daisy isn't really seen as a troll character outside of her incredibly moronic hatedom (Seriously I've always found people who just keep yelling about how much they hate a character really weird, and I mean them just saying I hate this character, not I dislike this character because reason number 1 etc.).
I provided evidence in the post you responded to displaying how she's a troll character.

She's not quite on the level of the likes of Shrek and Goku (where literally their entire support base is trolls), but a good chunk of them are. I know you're opposed to counting GameFAQs, but a good 80% of Daisy's supporters there are trolls.

And I never said Daisy would get in before Bowser Jr or Rosalina did I. Also we have no idea as to how Sakurai thinks for when it comes to certain series or characters, he simply could have looked at Waluigi this time and thought: I got nothing, just like he had nothing for the Miis during Brawl's development.
And I never suggested that you did say that.

My intention was to show that Sakurai seems to put importance to the main series over importance to spinoffs. Which is a pretty major issue, since spinoffs are really the only thing Daisy has at this point. She was a one-and-done damsel in the main series.

I can't wait to read @ Burb Burb 's next post:awesome:
I'm not sure what to make of this.... :confused:

Chrono.

So Alex, Urien, Mika and Karin...

It's starting to line up with this list

- Ryu
- Chun-Li
- M.Bison
- Nash
- Cammy
- Birdie
- R.Mika
- Zangief
- Dhalsim
- Juri
- Karin
- Ken
- Urien
- Alex
- Laura (New character from Brazil)
- Rashid (New character from Africa)
- Zen (New character from India)
- New Boss

Which apparently was supposed to be fake according to the Ken Bogard guy but he back pedaled on that statement saying he doesn't the full roster.

Which raises a few questions because I think he was the one who gave up the names of the new characters (who are up in that list), if he didn't know anything about those characters then the list above is automatically fake and it's all just a massive coincidence.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'm honestly shocked that R. Mika might be in the game. That's a curve ball if I've ever seen one.

Also, if that list is true, we can have Alex vs Zangief. Time to decide who's the real best SF wrestler (sorry El Fuerte).

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm honestly shocked that R. Mika might be in the game. That's a curve ball if I've ever seen one.

Also, if that list is true, we can have Alex vs Zangief. Time to decide who's the real best SF wrestler (sorry El Fuerte).

I'm more shocked that Karin might be back with no Sakura.

It's like having Lili with no Asuka in Tekken.

I hoping for a boxer character soon, every SF game has atleast one

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

For all we know, one of the new characters is a boxer. Unlikely but it's a thought.

Chrono.

If they're doing seasonal updates then she's probably not far behind.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm not gonna call anyone out (And please don't call him out yourselves, most of us know who he is already) but I lol'd when I started reading the old leaks thread and someone was criticizing Ninka Kiwi's leak. "Duck hunt is literally never going to happen." and someone else "The mode swap doesn't make any sense."
I STILL don't think that the mode swap makes any sort of sense when it comes to properly depicted Shulk.

Soul.

That Pikachu cosplay reminds me of a certain Marvel character....
um... Deadpool?

I STILL don't think that the mode swap makes any sort of sense when it comes to properly depicted Shulk.
Ill just say it so ryuga doesnt have to :p

Basically every mode doesnt make sense as an art either

Jump and smash were invented for the game. Speed doesnt work that way and increases dodging ability. Buster Is a 1 use ability like backslash not a buff. (Which is basically what enchant does. Increases damage. . . ) Shield blocks certain arts but doesnt increase defense .

Of course artistic liberties are a wonderful thing and make shulk one of my favorite smashers :p

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah.... I had a bizarre dream that involves a crossover of three game series: Wonderful 101, Kid Icarus, and Bayonetta., This crossover game is made by both Hideki Kamiya and Masahiro Sakurai through combining various elements from the three games in a cohesive way that it is a totally unique game. The story mode can allow up to 3 players while managing the three heroes: Wonder Red, Pit, and Bayonetta. In addition to imaginary gameplay that is supreme, there is hilarious dialogue between the three, especially with Bayonetta's toned-down but still crude and suggestive humor.

If the two stars actually made a game together, especially in the next smash, I would be hyped up to the extreme!

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
We talkin about Daisy?

Diasy is the only character that I will disrespect enough to say

**** Daisy in Smash

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
We talkin about Daisy?

Diasy is the only character that I will disrespect enough to say

**** Daisy in Smash
In the Smash 64 polls, Sakurai was asked about including Daisy.
Sakurai responded, 'That princess from Sarasaland? Has she been in any other Mario games?' (not exact quote. Please for the love of god don't quote me on this).

Personally, I think it would be interesting to have a character embody the spin-off Mario games. But it could be a Party Star. Daisy or Waluigi don't necessarily represent the side games, and they definitely aren't the main stars of those games (pun fully intended).

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sakurai responded, 'That princess from Sarasaland? Has she been in any other Mario games?' (not exact quote. Please for the love of god don't quote me on this).
Personally, I think it would be interesting to have a character embody the spin-off Mario games. But it could be a Party Star. Daisy or Waluigi don't necessarily represent the side games, and they definitely aren't the main stars of those games (pun fully intended).
A star that represents the Mario Party series?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Mario Party has a revolving cast for both the NPC's and PC's. There really isn't a true Star of Mario Party.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ill just say it so ryuga doesnt have to :p

Basically every mode doesnt make sense as an art either

Jump and smash were invented for the game. Speed doesnt work that way and increases dodging ability. Buster Is a 1 use ability like backslash not a buff. (Which is basically what enchant does. Increases damage. . . ) Shield blocks certain arts but doesnt increase defense .

Of course artistic liberties are a wonderful thing and make shulk one of my favorite smashers :p
Melia is the primary buff character in the party, not Shulk... although Reyn and Dunban do have auras which could replicate similar effects on themselves. Shulk himself just doesn't work that way, though.

The gimmick would actually make sense on Isaac, actually.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
For Glory is the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I honestly wish it didn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom