• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgt044

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wii U: Jgt044
3DS FC
1005-9641-7502
To make you all feel better, I completed the ten fighter challenge in Smash Tour on my first try and the the Metroid challenge on my second try...

THANKS GOD FOR ME!!!

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I don't give a crap about challenges or music, so I don't have to do Smash Tour, woot woot! All I care about is custom moves. But I kinda gave up on that. I only play the game 2-3 times a month anyway.

Khoru

Smash Champion
You guys are a bunch of wusses.

Try doing those Street Smash challenges when people don't play Smash 3DS where I'm at.

**** Street Smash. I would proudly do Smash Tour than Street Smash
you could do them in training mode, you know

the "hardest" challenge imo is definitely the ones that make you get all the hats
i'm still not really sure how to beat a boss in smash tour while doing the four controllers thing though

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well, it looks like we have some more info on the cancelled Metroid Dread as well as other games in the series. The person also hints at more news about the future of the series.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
you could do them in training mode, you know

the "hardest" challenge imo is definitely the ones that make you get all the hats
i'm still not really sure how to beat a boss in smash tour while doing the four controllers thing though
Nope you can't.

You have to get the require hits for it to work

Khoru

Smash Champion
Nope you can't.

You have to get the require hits for it to work
i did the streetsmash challenges on the weekend of launch without ever setting foot outside of my house so shrugs

OH RIGHT THAT ONE. i totally forgot about it, sorry. i just hammered it

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
And when Peach received that move there wasn't many sports games to be used, and Daisy was only back for one Tennis game, so at the time we had no idea if Daisy was going to keep appearing in the Mario sports games, and well she has stuck around in the Mario spin-offs,s o you could easily use her as the Mario sports rep now that there is actually a decent number of them around to use. That palette swap and Mario's Wario one were only ever references, just like how Luigi has a Waluigi palette swap.

We have no idea if Wario was planned to be in Melee, only that Sakurai decided against making him a Mario clone, from what we know since we didn't want him to be just be a Mario clone, since Wario deserved better.

You know its debatable out of who had more support when it comes to both Waluigi and Daisy right? Since they both have very loud haters, while their normal fanbase does actually crossover a bit.

My point had nothing to do with Sakurai wanting a sports rep, you said Daisy couldn't be unique, and I explained how she could be unique by using the sports games. Also ballot could easily inspire Sakurai to make a moveset for Daisy or change his mind on a character he though might not work.
So why wasn't she playable in Brawl, then? There were plenty of sports games and spin-offs after that. And by saying he didn't want Wario to be a Mario clone, that implies that Sakurai wanted him in the game.

You could argue who has more importance, but considering the amount of backlash that happened after Waluigi's AT reveal, I'd say that he had a lot of people supporting him.

And I should have elaborated on that last part more. I said that Sakurai doesn't seem to see any reason in making a sports rep playable, which does tie into my argument: by making Waluigi an AT, twice I might add, that basically means that Sakurai didn't see any real potential in him as a playable character. And I hate to repeat this again, but Daisy would fulfill his exact same role. Why should she be included if her main competition wasn't deemed worthy enough? She's not the only character who can rep the sports games. I will not deny that Sakurai could pick her from the ballot, though.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Holy crap. You know what I just thought of? If Tamaki from Unseen64 knows a lot of sources and uncovers information buried from Nintendo, does he know any information about Smash Bros. or any upcoming DLC? The chances are probably slim to none, but it can be pulled off. @PushDustIn (or anyone else), it is possible for you to ask him? I don't have access to this stuff, so I'm screwed.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Holy crap. You know what I just thought of? If Tamaki from Unseen64 knows a lot of sources and uncovers information buried from Nintendo, does he know any information about Smash Bros. or any upcoming DLC? The chances are probably slim to none, but it can be pulled off. @PushDustIn (or anyone else), it is possible for you to ask him? I don't have access to this stuff, so I'm screwed.
Just putting my two cents out there, I doubt it.
Maybe he knows someone who does, but even then I doubt anyone will say anything.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Here's an interview from 1997 containing Gunpei Yokoi.

This was just translated. I think everyone should read this.
That's really food for thought....

There are many paradigms of game design and his focus was on simplicity, the basest form needed to get enjoyment. Honestly it's something I struggle with in my indie game design challenges. I realized relatively recently that I tend to over complicate game ideas and sometimes over emphasize stories. I made a conscious decision to to simplify the game ideas to what I think will be fun and then build upon it. I also decided to take a different approach to story. Gameplay doesn't need story, however, when story is integrated I believe it should compliment the story in the sense that the end goal of the gameplay needs to relate to the end goal of the story in order to feel right. Story should never be tacked on unless it just a basic "save the princess scenario".

Thinking back on it, some of my favorite games had great gameplay and great story, but they never made a seamless union. Take Tales of Symphonia. Sure, there were moves/attacks within the gameplay that related to the story, but that was just glitter in the end. It was still an enjoyable experience. I also ended up wondering....how much of my time playing was actually spent playing the game? Managing items was interesting, but was it playing a game? Exploring and seeing new sights was interesting but how often is pure exploration actually "playing a game"? Story and cutscenes are interesting, but they sure as heck aren't playing a game... Whenever I thought of gameplay I always thought of battles, minigames, and some puzzles. And even then, the battles and minigames were inconsitsantly spaced apart and a bunch of puzzles were either extremely basic or involved fluff (go hit that lever on the other side of this maze).

That said, there's nothing wrong with a story driven experience. If it's enjoyable then that's all that matters in the world of entertainment. But the real question becomes "Do I want to be a game designer or an experience designer?"

Does it even matter?

I personally want to do both. Some of my designs are pure gameplay, some are more story driven, and some are blends of both. I just want to make things that people can enjoy. That's all that matters in the end.

D

Deleted member

The meme is kind of lost on me. I get that it started off as a joke but now some people actually want it to happen... So where did it begin? Was it because of Wii Fit Trainer, which I feel is a completely different situation?

If so... Wii Fit Trainer is from a very successful game and represents a huge part of Nintendo's history. She's not even close to being an absurd choice, just really unexpected and clever.

Reckless Safety Man is just a warning label and a silly meme that was funny for a while.
This.
This right here.

To anyone that legitimately supports the concept of "Reckless Wiimote Safety Man" or thinks it's a good idea:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
So why wasn't she playable in Brawl, then? There were plenty of sports games and spin-offs after that. And by saying he didn't want Wario to be a Mario clone, that implies that Sakurai wanted him in the game.

You could argue who has more importance, but considering the amount of backlash that happened after Waluigi's AT reveal, I'd say that he had a lot of people supporting him.

And I should have elaborated on that last part more. I said that Sakurai doesn't seem to see any reason in making a sports rep playable, which does tie into my argument: by making Waluigi an AT, twice I might add, that basically means that Sakurai didn't see any real potential in him as a playable character. And I hate to repeat this again, but Daisy would fulfill his exact same role. Why should she be included if her main competition wasn't deemed worthy enough? She's not the only character who can rep the sports games. I will not deny that Sakurai could pick her from the ballot, though.
Look the whole why wasn't she in Brawl then, could go on forever, but it is possible he just a)Didn't think of it at the time, b)just didn't think she had potential, and any number of other reasons. For all we know both Daisy and Waluigi where on the list of characters Sakurai was consindering for both Brawl and Smash 4, but decided that he couldn't make them or simply didn't have inspiration for them at the time. Same with how he had nothing for Miis and Pacman at the time, but Smash 4 he was struck by inspiration for them.

I'd say the backlash to Waluigi's assist trophy reveal came more from how Waluigi was revealed as an assist trophy. I think some people took it to be mean Waluigi would never be in anyway that he would be playable in Smash

Weather Sakurai wants a Mario sports rep is up for debate, but at this point we're going to have to agree to disagree, I just simply wanted to put out there and explain to some who simply don't understand as to why Daisy gets a good number of votes in any Smash DLC poll, simple as that nothing more.

I think I should also state this again: I see Daisy as likely DLC, but you need to understand I also see Chibi-robo and a Ray from Custom Robo as likely DLC, I only see Daisy a possibly happening after we recieve the more highly likely requests like King K. Rool and Issac, along with the other popular Nintendo character requests. Pretty much I would like her, but I see her more likely happening more in Smash 5 then Smash 4 DLC.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If he legitimately gets large support (Which is in fact, somewhat noticeable), Sakurai could consider him for the ballot.
I don't know how far he'll go in terms of Sakurai's approval though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've kinda wondered if a moveset based off Super Mario Land may or may not work for Daisy, if not then at least a few of her moves. With bouncing balls and bomb koopa's and all.....

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It's safe to say that Daisy will never, ever be in Smash Bros.

It's fairly clear that she'll never be the "sports rep" that many people claim she could be, as Sakurai clearly sees Waluigi as the more appropriate character to use this moveset idea. Hence the Assist.

She's a character that has accomplished nothing, from a franchise that still has at least half a dozen potential characters in the future.

D

Deleted member

If he legitimately gets large support (Which is in fact, somewhat noticeable), Sakurai could consider him for the ballot.
Let me put this in terms you'd understand.

Shrek will get in before "Reckless Wiimote Safety Man" does.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Look the whole why wasn't she in Brawl then, could go on forever, but it is possible he just a)Didn't think of it at the time, b)just didn't think she had potential, and any number of other reasons. For all we know both Daisy and Waluigi where on the list of characters Sakurai was consindering for both Brawl and Smash 4, but decided that he couldn't make them or simply didn't have inspiration for them at the time. Same with how he had nothing for Miis and Pacman at the time, but Smash 4 he was struck by inspiration for them.

I'd say the backlash to Waluigi's assist trophy reveal came more from how Waluigi was revealed as an assist trophy. I think some people took it to be mean Waluigi would never be in anyway that he would be playable in Smash

Weather Sakurai wants a Mario sports rep is up for debate, but at this point we're going to have to agree to disagree, I just simply wanted to put out there and explain to some who simply don't understand as to why Daisy gets a good number of votes in any Smash DLC poll, simple as that nothing more.

I think I should also state this again: I see Daisy as likely DLC, but you need to understand I also see Chibi-robo and a Ray from Custom Robo as likely DLC, I only see Daisy a possibly happening after we recieve the more highly likely requests like King K. Rool and Issac, along with the other popular Nintendo character requests. Pretty much I would like her, but I see her more likely happening more in Smash 5 then Smash 4 DLC.
Very well, I'll drop the subject. Admittedly, looking back at my posts, they were a little biased/hypocritical because I did kinda want Waluigi.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN

It's fairly clear that she'll never be the "sports rep" that many people claim she could be, as Sakurai clearly sees Waluigi as the more appropriate character to use this moveset idea. Hence the Assist.

She's a character that has accomplished nothing, from a franchise that still has at least half a dozen potential characters in the future.
Speaking of sports, I wonder when modders/panty enthusiasts will start "examining" Peach again.

D

Deleted member

With the video-game rule set, that's sort of an illogical statement. :L
That's the point.
If Shrek is illogical and is more likely than "Reckless Wiimote Safety Man", that means "Reckless Wiimote Safety Man" is.....

I'll let you think of the rest for yourself.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

The Mario sports-based moveset people usually come up with for Daisy is made a bit redundant by Peach's Forward Smash attack, anyway.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight

Wouldn't really say Daisy being in Smash will never happen dude. As I stated Sakurai has changed his mind on things and he can do it. Plus Sakurai may not comeback for Smash 5 for all we know.

Can you really say Daisy has accomplished nothing? In the Mario fandom fans like seeing her paired with Luigi and most have enjoyed her inclusion in the Mario spin-off games. But if you are only saying in terms of heroics in the Mario game and being part of the innovations the Mario games have done for gaming, then yeah she hasn't really accomplished much. But I'd say as a character, she would be regarded as well accomplished athlete if the Mario series wanted to include more story and character stuff in it

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I think it's far more likely Sakurai would just reject such an idea in a heartbeat. I cannot really imagine this character being considered for several reasons. One of which is the fact he is really just a warning label, that alone is way too absurd for a character choice.

I don't think he would make a top 20 in the official ballot poll, honestly. It sounds just the loud vocal minority mass-voting him for kicks in that reddit thread.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I think it's far more likely Sakurai would just reject such an idea in a heartbeat. I cannot really imagine this character being considered for several reasons. One of which is the fact he is really just a warning label, that alone is way too absurd for a character choice.

I don't think he would make a top 20 in the official ballot poll, honestly. It sounds just the loud vocal minority mass-voting him for kicks in that reddit thread.
I'm not quite sure about that. Meme characters tend to do well everywhere, and I don't think every poll has organized spam voters.

I'm with you that he'd probably never even be put into consideration, though. As weird and unexpected as Wii Fit Trainer was, she is a video game character. Wreckless Wii Remote guy is as much a game character as the MGM Lion is a movie character.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Wouldn't really say Daisy being in Smash will never happen dude. As I stated Sakurai has changed his mind on things and he can do it. Plus Sakurai may not comeback for Smash 5 for all we know.

Can you really say Daisy has accomplished nothing? In the Mario fandom fans like seeing her paired with Luigi and most have enjoyed her inclusion in the Mario spin-off games. But if you are only saying in terms of heroics in the Mario game and being part of the innovations the Mario games have done for gaming, then yeah she hasn't really accomplished much. But I'd say as a character, Peach would be regarded as well accomplished athlete if the Mario series wanted to include more story and character stuff in it
I really would confidently say that she has no chance. Being from a franchise with so many more characters that are clearly a cut (at least) above her. It's not as if she's on equal footing to those characters where she's just in competition with them.
She's really just a space-filler in the mario sports games, she's unlikely to ever be used outside of those games in any capacity, pretty much no different to Birdo. You couldn't even put her on the level of Shy Guy as he appears in Yoshi games.

If a character that bizarre was ever considered it'd be for a base game, not DLC.

D

Deleted member

Wreckless Wii Remote guy
.....so he's Wreck-It Ralph? :troll:

is as much a game character as the MGM Lion is a movie character.

(I know you're referring to the lion mascot in their company intro, but I wanted to play on the Cowardly Lion being a lion in an MGM movie. :laugh:)

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Although I still consider the Reckless Wiimote Safety Man to be a funny joke suggestion, it should be just that - a joke suggestion.

If Sakurai ever accepted such a proposal (which he won't), it would be outright insulting to the non-chosen DLC prospects, as if they weren't good enough to be considered over a cautionary notification that appears before you play a Wii game. Not to mention it's as if Sakurai ran out of ideas for playable characters, even if not many contenders are left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom